Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

2 hours ago, StellaM said:
5 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

Who thinks shortness of breath is ever okay?!

If you develop any shortness of breath - go in! Flu or Covid19 or anything else - go in ASAP!

I didn’t catch the original of this.

Not sure what “go in ASAP” means. If one suspects Covid-19, one should call medical facility for instructions, not go in and expose everyone on waiting room / staff / etc.  

To the best of my understanding.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

case in Washington DC

Late this afternoon, testing at the Public Health Lab at the DC Department of Forensic Sciences yielded its first presumptive positive coronavirus (COVID-19) case. Join me live at 7:30 p.m. for a briefing at the John A. Wilson Building.

DC is close to Montgomery County, MD, where 3 positive were found yesterday.  I'm close by in Northern VA.  7 being tested in VA with 4 of them in NoVA.  130 being monitored due to travel to known problem areas.

Edited by mlktwins
  • Sad 3

31 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Maybe houses will get designed different after this to have a sink at the front door.

or you could get one of those disinfecting arches like they’re using in Thailand

Sink and changing room would be good— maybe entry would be a laundry room .  I’ve wished for that because of my toxic chemical and fragrance problems.

(maybe a shower?) 

what’s a disinfecting arch? 

Edited by Pen

3 minutes ago, Pen said:

Sink and changing room would be good— maybe entry would be a laundry room .  I’ve wished for that because of my toxic chemical and fragrance problems.

(maybe a shower?) 

Can’t find the Thailand one which was cute but this one from China is the same concept

image.png.8f8a87233d1c06f97855ddc78d951926.png

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pen said:

Not sure what “go in ASAP” means. If one suspects Covid-19, one should call medical facility for instructions, not go in and expose everyone on waiting room / staff / etc.  

I would agree with that and that is what I meant. Apologies for not being clear. For example if tomorrow I wake up feeling sick or with a fever and I have unusual for me shortness of breath - I will call my dr pronto and ask where he wants me to go to assess and treat my breathing issue and then I’d go there pronto. I’d otherwise not risk further whatever is floating around at drs or hospitals.  But I like breathing and it’s kinda high on my list of things to make sure I can keep doing - so if that seems unusually concerning - it’s worth the risk to me to get it dealt with ASAP. 

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pen said:

(maybe a shower?) 

We use my side door off the garage/driveway as our main entrance because it opens into my laundry area and there’s a half bath off to the side too. And yep, many times I’ve commanded upon entry for us to strip to skivies and immediately put clothes in washing machine and divided to various washing stations and or showers and to touch nothing along the way.

10 minutes ago, Pen said:

And even then (from what I understand from articles, not firsthand) it’s hard to get tested from symptoms alone unless they are severe. There are conflicting stories out there- the CDC saying that anyone can be tested if a doctor orders it and doctors saying that they can’t get patients tested. 

I’d be interested in more information about this, and if it might apply to other inhaled corticosteroids.  I can’t access the entire paper.  Systemic corticosteroids resulted in poorer outcomes with previous Coronavirus.

“Teijin’s Alvesco (ciclesonide), an inhaled corticosteroid for asthma treatment, apparently helped improve the symptoms of patients who developed the novel coronavirus disease COVID-19, according to a report posted on the website of the Japanese Association for Infectious Diseases.”  

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

And even then (from what I understand from articles, not firsthand) it’s hard to get tested from symptoms alone unless they are severe. There are conflicting stories out there- the CDC saying that anyone can be tested if a doctor orders it and doctors saying that they can’t get patients tested. 

Oregon apparently only has human staff capacity to run 40 tests max in a day even if there are more tests available, apparently.  Washington can do many more in conjunction with UofO virology lab which has apparently moved ahead since CDC and state public health can’t.   I can’t recall for California, which also has mixed systems of CDC, state, county, and separate institutions all possibly getting involved.  

I read this or heard on radio, but don’t recall where

Me Speculating: 

Seattle area may be hot spot partly due to being an international airport hub to China etc.  But it also may be showing as hotspot due to ability to have gotten some more tests done than other places because of UofWashington.  Lots of people seem to think there are a lot of suspicious pneumonia or pneumonia Like illness in Oregon too.  And probably many more in Calif than counted so far.  And in Hawaii. 

Those disinfecting systems: 

Kind of frightening. Reminds me of stories of farm kids being sprayed down with DDT.  I have a friend whose dad was only living sibling at around age 40 probably because his siblings were cooperative with the DDT, and he wasn’t. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Pen said:

Kind of frightening. Reminds me of stories of farm kids being sprayed down with DDT.  I have a friend whose dad was only living sibling at around age 40 probably because his siblings were cooperative with the DDT, and he wasn’t. 

Yeah.  They have already had wildlife die off from the mass disinfection in China 

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

Well I wasn’t suggesting putting DDT in it...

And in my price bracket, my current garage entry and strip procedure is probably all I’m ever going to afford anyways.

Obviously a healthy for most people option would be the goal of such a system.

47 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Well I wasn’t suggesting putting DDT in it...

And in my price bracket, my current garage entry and strip procedure is probably all I’m ever going to afford anyways.

Obviously a healthy for most people option would be the goal of such a system.

They thought DDT was safe and healthy for most humans, that it would only affect insects. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Re. Disinfection. I am a strong believer in appropriate cleaning for the situation. People with normal immune systems do not benefit from sterile environments. We need healthy gut and even skin flora. Obviously there are people who need sterile environments in hospitals etc but most cannot live in a bubble forever. 

Plain Soap and water are usually fairly benign, afaik. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Arctic Mama

guess Costco was tired of the Costco sample coronavirus meme

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2020/03/06/costco-samples-coronavirus-suspends-free-samples/4980216002/
“Costco is suspending free samples over safety concerns with the spread of the coronavirus.

It was not immediately known if Costco has pulled samples from all stores in the U.S. or only in select areas or when the suspension would end.

Club Demonstration Services, which provides in-store marketing events for Costco, declined to comment late Friday and referred calls to Costco. Costco did not respond to USA TODAY's request for comment. 

Costco stores in California, Washington state and Florida said they did not know when Costco would begin offering free food samples again.”

1 hour ago, melmichigan said:

I’d be interested in more information about this, and if it might apply to other inhaled corticosteroids.  I can’t access the entire paper.  Systemic corticosteroids resulted in poorer outcomes with previous Coronavirus.

“Teijin’s Alvesco (ciclesonide), an inhaled corticosteroid for asthma treatment, apparently helped improve the symptoms of patients who developed the novel coronavirus disease COVID-19, according to a report posted on the website of the Japanese Association for Infectious Diseases.”  

It sounds potentially promising. I can’t access the study without getting behind a paywall as far as I can tell.

Here is a bit more from a news article https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/03/07/national/japans-covid-19-infections-much-higher-reported-niid/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

crap!  Hopefully that’s a rare complication 

It says it is rare. But they may not be looking

I thought it’s good to be aware, perhaps especially if we have kids in that age range

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Pen said:

Very interesting.  I found this comparing it to my current corticosteroid https://www.cochrane.org/CD010352/ciclesonide-compared-to-budesonide-and-fluticasone-in-the-treatment-of-asthma-in-children.  I don't see where any studies are showing it to be more effective in order to justify the increased cost.  It has been shown to have more adherence because it's once a day versus twice daily, although that may not be the case in step down cases, which wouldn't apply to this situation.  Very interesting, it just happens to be the most expensive of the inhaled corticosteroids, so most insurances don't cover it.

Edited by melmichigan

25 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This is in my county and the patient went to the same hospital my son was in last week with complications of Type A flu.  It is also the hospital where my DIL will deliver my grandchild any day now.  I believe that the patient is a college student that was brought back home from Italy by Wash U.  Haven't heard if she has been quarentined since coming home.

• Sad 4

@mathnerd
“Eight new cases of coronavirus were reported Saturday afternoon by the Santa Clara County Public Health Department, bringing the county's total to 32.”

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/south-bay/santa-clara-county-reports-8-new-coronavirus-cases-saturday/2249896/

ETA: Twitter 

“UPDATE: Public Health reports eight new cases of COVID-19 in Santa Clara County, bringing the total to 32. It’s not unexpected to have more cases. http://sccphd.org/coronavirus No media availability today. #novelcoronavirus2019

Edited by Arcadia
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

@Arctic Mama

guess Costco was tired of the Costco sample coronavirus meme

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2020/03/06/costco-samples-coronavirus-suspends-free-samples/4980216002/
“Costco is suspending free samples over safety concerns with the spread of the coronavirus.

It was not immediately known if Costco has pulled samples from all stores in the U.S. or only in select areas or when the suspension would end.

Club Demonstration Services, which provides in-store marketing events for Costco, declined to comment late Friday and referred calls to Costco. Costco did not respond to USA TODAY's request for comment. 

Costco stores in California, Washington state and Florida said they did not know when Costco would begin offering free food samples again.”

Our Costco in Michigan had no samples today.

Coronavirus, in intensive care the beds are finished: "The health system is collapsing"

A tent used for "triage" in front of the emergency room of the Giovanni Bosco hospital in Turin
In Lombardy, Veneto and Emilia Romagna the spaces are 95% occupied. The medical union: "We only hold 5 days"

PAOLO RUSSO
March 05, 2020

ROME. The contagions continue to gallop and with them the hospitalizations, both those in normal wards and those in intensive care. So Minister Speranza orders: "Double the number of beds in pneumology and increase them by 50% in intensive care and infectious disease wards". Even drawing on the beds of private healthcare facilities and calling retired doctors and nurses into service or moving staff from the South to the North at the moment less stressed. The imperative, however, is to hurry, because the hospitals in the North that are at the forefront of the battle against the virus are on the verge of collapse.

Thousands of coronavirus infections, but what's really behind those numbers?
The situation was photographed by Anaao, the main union of hospital doctors. Resuscitation beds in the three most exposed regions, namely Lombardy, Veneto and Emilia Romagna, total 1,800. Normally 40% of these remain empty to deal with any emergencies or greater patient flows. In times of coronavirus their utilization rate has risen to 95%: said otherwise only 5 out of 100 places are currently free. And the seriously ill who need machines to breathe increase proportionately. It was 229 on Tuesday and rose to 295 just 24 hours later. According to Anaao, the resuscitation posts are already running out in Lombardy, they will be in 5 days in Veneto and within a week in Emilia.

The timelapse map of the coronavirus infection in Italy: all the numbers, regions and cities affected
Staff

Doctors and nurses in the red areas now also work three shifts in a row without rest, because they are few and 10% of them hospitalized with Covid-19 infection contracted just as they tried to counter it. "For now, we have managed to hospitalize them in single rooms suitable for insulation, but those with negative pressure, which are used to avoid contaminating the air, have now exhausted them and the resuscitation posts are occupied for many days even by people of 40- 50 years with serious respiratory problems », confides Stefano Magnone, surgeon of the Giovanni XXIII hospital in Bergamo, who counted more than 130 in hospital with coronavirus yesterday.

Is coronavirus just a more serious flu? Five answers by the virologist Di Perri to the most frequently asked questions
For this, the Ministry of Health has decided to run for cover by strengthening the supply of beds in pneumology, infectious diseases and intensive care. "Forgetting, however, that in the front line in the fight against the virus there are the internal medicine departments, which treat the most fragile patients with multiple pathologies," said Fadoi, the Federation of hospital internists. However, the greater supply of beds will not occur by putting up new hospitals in a few days, as in China. But freeing up places in the wards where there are less hospitalized. Maybe even transferring non-serious patients to private facilities, which only have 7,500 beds in Lombardy, including 380 in intensive care.

Coronavirus, inside the Amedeo di Savoia: this is how swab analysis works
The other shortcomings
Then you also need equipment to help those who can not breathe alone, even if they do not necessarily have to occupy a place in intensive care. For this reason, always in Lombardy, helmets are being purchased, the technical name Cpap (Continuous positive airway pressure), in which patients can breathe more easily. But the emergency is no less for the staff, who "will also be recruited from other areas of the country", specifies the circular. While doctors and nurses from other departments are provided for "a rapid and qualifying training course for respiratory support in the areas of sub intensive care". "To ensure that the blanket does not become too short - relaunches the national secretary of Anaao, Carlo Palermo - it is necessary, however, to quickly hire temporary staff". The union, on the other hand, rejected the idea of calling pensioners back into service. "As elders, they would be more exposed to the threat of contagion."

this is an article from La Stampa run through Google translate.  Hence it’s a bit clunky.  Edited to add I think some headings from pictures are mixed in hence a few random sentences. 

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

And to be honest that’s why I don’t get the blase thread.  It’s like we have some idea that somehow what can happen in China or Iran can’t happen here.  Maybe seeing it happen in Italy might change that.  Panic - no.  Acknowledge the reality that of this doesn’t get controlled our health system is going to be very stressed... yes.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 9

3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

And to be honest that’s why I don’t get the blase thread.  It’s like we have some idea that somehow what can happen in China or Iran can’t happen here.  Maybe seeing it happen in Italy might change that.  Panic - no.  Acknowledge the reality that of this doesn’t get controlled our health system is going to be very stressed... yes.

We’re Americans. The laws of God and nature don’t apply here/sarc off. Ppl seriously think the Chinese and Italians are backwater hicks w/o realizing the bulk of the US medical system is held together with chewing gum and spit.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 1

How awful —  and Italy hasn’t got the huge reserves of manpower and quick building capacities that China has got. 

I think my part of USA could be headed in similar direction.

Using CPAP is interesting 

I think it might be worth them trying out asthma medicine like linked above

Homeopathic treatment 

antiviral herbs

vitamin D 

(blood ozonation or blood uv; high vitamin c) 

seems like given desperate situation trying things that are unlikely to hurt even if they may not help would make sense

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Maybe that previous post about Italy situation should be cross posted to The Who doesn’t care/isn’t overly concerned thread. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pen said:

How awful —  and Italy hasn’t got the huge reserves of manpower and quick building capacities that China has got. 

I think my part of USA could be headed in similar direction.

Using CPAP is interesting 

I think it might be worth them trying out asthma medicine like linked above

Homeopathic treatment 

antiviral herbs

vitamin D 

seems like given desperate situation trying things that are unlikely to hurt even if they may not help would make sense

I suspect that’s why TCM and vitamin c treatments got a run in China

its also why I’m stocking elderberry

• Like 1