Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

1 minute ago, RootAnn said:

One school district in Nebraska shut down s a small university, several others are trying to decide what to do as the first patient there participated in a Special Olympics event in which other students/schools participated. Now two family members have tested positive & another school district is involved.

https://www.omaha.com/livewellnebraska/health/coronavirus-scare-temporarily-closes-fremont-schools-midland-university/article_888d66b9-adb1-55ec-ba33-ef0961814ae7.html

https://www.omaha.com/livewellnebraska/two-family-members-of-nebraska-s-first-coronavirus-disease-patient/article_ad4ac887-0714-5b21-a93e-66f220c22c52.html

No details, but she made 5 visits to 3 health care sites before they tested her for COVID-19. 

I was aware of this too b/c a fellow adoptee mom had her (multiple transplant recipient) child, and siblings at the event. This mom is deeply concerned because this could prove fatal for her child.

• Sad 12

... And I fully intend that our family might decide not to attend an awards ceremony at the end of this month because of possible exposure (there). My DH needs to keep virus free so as to not infect co-workers. He works in a needed infrastructure job where they are already tight on workers. I anticipate his department will soon be quarantined on site (by the end of the month).

• Sad 7

34 minutes ago, Aura said:

Typically Google likes to feed me CNN, ABC, NBC, NYT, NPR, and the main ones like that. 

It may be in part due to your Google history. Their algorithms are mysterious, but will likely give a searcher what Google thinks they want to read--what will fit their "worldview" for lack of a better term--even weeding in/out particular stories from particular outlets (i.e., a Google search for you might bring up totally different CNN articles than I'd get searching for the same thing).

NYT is one of my sources, and other than (perhaps) a few opinion pieces I don't recall anything remotely insinuating this was "just like the flu." Nor on NPR, but my consumption of that is very limited to sometimes when I'm in the car.

• Like 4

There is a confirmed exposed school employee at a K-8 school in my area. Supposedly, they are discussing what to do right now-with all the kids in the cafeteria. Parents are going nuts on FB, NextDoor, etc-even those who's kids attend other schools. I sincerely hope no one leaks the poor employee's name. I'm keeping an eye on it because if the school district closes as a whole, my center will close as well, and I'll have to figure out options for my music students. I could probably do lessons online for my older kids, but I'm not so sure about my preschoolers and kindergartner, who  have lessons that look more like a preschool music class with some piano thrown in.

On the Media thing, I am stuck listening to Fox News once a week, and yes, they have been minimizing it and playing up the wonderful response of Trump/Pence (and yes, they are getting the credit, not the CDC and the state health departments who are actually doing most of the work). If I only had exposure to that as my news source, I'd be convinced the whole thing was exaggerated for political reasons, too. And I know that on my cheer parent groups, there is a lot of minimizing, but I think a good part of that is wishful thinking more than actual belief.  I see something of the same thing from my parents, who are absolutely in risk groups, but really don't want to give up their lives-or maybe admit that they ARE at high risk.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

59 minutes ago, Cnew02 said:

I’m hearing people complain both that the media is over hyping this virus and that it’s sugar coating it.  I guess it’s different outlets.  Or maybe different interpretations.  It’s a weird thing through.  

17 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

It may be in part due to your Google history. Their algorithms are mysterious, but will likely give a searcher what Google thinks they want to read--what will fit their "worldview" for lack of a better term--even weeding in/out particular stories from particular outlets (i.e., a Google search for you might bring up totally different CNN articles than I'd get searching for the same thing).

NYT is one of my sources, and other than (perhaps) a few opinion pieces I don't recall anything remotely insinuating this was "just like the flu." Nor on NPR, but my consumption of that is very limited to sometimes when I'm in the car.

This is entirely possible and why people are seeing different things!

I don't want to go too far into who reported what first or that kinda thing. My main point was that there are many people who have not adjusted emotionally and so will do stupid things based on their past paradigm, which doesn't work anymore. I personally feel like if people had been given more time to adjust, we'd see less people doing stupid stuff (but not no people).

And truthfully, I am much more likely to extend grace to people (who may be overwhelmed by varying things that I am not privy to) than those whose JOB it is to know what's going on and keep us properly informed. Compassion and understanding go a long way in helping individuals to act appropriately. Associations, businesses, governments, etc. require a completely different approach.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BarbecueMom said:

And this is one of the wealthiest neighborhoods of the metro area, not someone taking train rides out of financial necessity.  Zero reason this girl had to take Amtrak OR a flight home; they could have done the 10 hour drive to pick her up in Chicago.  LESS THAN ZERO reason to go to the party and dance.

The student who traveled did not develop symptoms until after she had arrived home. She is not to blame. The irresponsible idiot is her father who took her younger sister to the school dance after the student's diagnosis and quarantine order.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 14

15 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

On the Media thing, I am stuck listening to Fox News once a week, and yes, they have been minimizing it and playing up the wonderful response of Trump/Pence (and yes, they are getting the credit, not the CDC and the state health departments who are actually doing most of the work). If I only had exposure to that as my news source, I'd be convinced the whole thing was exaggerated for political reasons, too. 

That's what I was afraid of. People really need to get out of media bubbles, even if it is hard (see post above about Google search algorithms).

I just finished watching video of a meeting that was held early this morning in my county. It included representatives from the county health department, EMS and the two largest health/hospital chains that serve the area. It was reassuring. They have protocols in place. They're getting direction from the state department of health. EMS dispatchers have been instructed on specific questions to ask before dispatching. If a patient is suspected of having Covid they will limit the number of responders in order to limit potential spread. The hospital representatives say they've been preparing for this since it first popped up in Wuhan, they have protocols in place and have done many real and paper drills.

I hope they're right about being prepared.

That's the kind of messaging from TPTB that we all need to be hearing.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Aura said:

I don't want to go too far into who reported what first or that kinda thing. My main point was that there are many people who have not adjusted emotionally and so will do stupid things based on their past paradigm, which doesn't work anymore. I personally feel like if people had been given more time to adjust, we'd see less people doing stupid stuff (but not no people).

And truthfully, I am much more likely to extend grace to people (who may be overwhelmed by varying things that I am not privy to) than those whose JOB it is to know what's going on and keep us properly informed. Compassion and understanding go a long way in helping individuals to act appropriately. Associations, businesses, governments, etc. require a completely different approach.

I had never considered the whole idea of emotionally preparing in advance, but I agree whole heartedly.  Thanks mostly to this thread I stocked up the day before the CDC made the “it could get bad” announcement.  I stocked up reasonably, about an extra week worth of extra shelf stable stuff and topped off our cold meds, not hoarding level.  Basically whatever so could get with a $100 budget.  I’m glad I’m prepared and I’m just watching for what comes now.  I’ve thought through some emergency situations, such as driving across the country on a minutes notice if parents get hospitalized. Im as ready as I can be, but not panicking in any way. 

• Like 8

Canada https://globalnews.ca/news/6647694/coronavirus-government-plane-grand-princess/

“The federal government is sending a plane to pick up Canadian passengers of a cruise ship that has confirmed COVID-19 cases on board.

Foreign Affairs Minister François-Philippe Champagne said Sunday that the passengers on the Grand Princess will be quarantined for 14 days upon arrival at Canadian Forces Base Trenton in eastern Ontario.

There are 237 Canadian passengers on board, according to Global Affairs Canada.

“Ensuring the health and safety of Canadians both at home and abroad remains our priority,” Champagne said in a statement. “We are working hard to help Canadians return home and make sure appropriate measures are in place to prevent and limit the spread of COVID-19.””

2 minutes ago, regentrude said:

The student who traveled did not develop symptoms until after she had arrived home. She is not to blame. The irresponsible idiot is her father who took her younger sister to the school dance.

I’ll have to reread the dates on that. But I think I still wouldn’t want to be the one responsible for taking an Amtrak train out of service and risking infection or quarantine of others if I had the means to otherwise provide private transportation, given that she was coming from an area with a large outbreak, symptoms or not.  Two weeks ago, it might have been a different story.  Again, I’m not personally “freaking out” and mostly going about my business as usual, but in their situation I would have taken more precautions than the average person.  Hindsight, I guess.

And yeah, dad’s definitely the irresponsible one here.  

1 hour ago, Aura said:

Which media did NOT, several weeks ago, assure everyone that the flu was worse/the numbers higher/your risk greater and completely ignore the exponential growth factors we were seeing from infected countries? Which ones did NOT spent more time emphasizing the need to "not panic" and downplay the need to prepare? (Why does preparing automatically equal panicking, anyway?)

IIRC, CNBC has done pretty well with this from the beginning. I am also thankful that some others seem to be catching on, like CNN now using "pandemic" even though WHO refuses.

But generally, they all now have to undo what they did before. And yes, some aren't even trying to do that!

Every single one that I have watched has given good balanced reporting. Even before it hit the US. And NONE said that it was just like the flu. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Cnew02 said:

I had never considered the whole idea of emotionally preparing in advance, but I agree whole heartedly.  Thanks mostly to this thread I stocked up the day before the CDC made the “it could get bad” announcement.  I stocked up reasonably, about an extra week worth of extra shelf stable stuff and topped off our cold meds, not hoarding level.  Basically whatever so could get with a $100 budget.  I’m glad I’m prepared and I’m just watching for what comes now.  I’ve thought through some emergency situations, such as driving across the country on a minutes notice if parents get hospitalized. Im as ready as I can be, but not panicking in any way. 

I have my 85 year old dad 10 minutes from me and my 93 year old in-laws 15 minutes from me.  My level of worry for their safety during all of this is through the roof and I cannot even imagine if they were across the country!  But...if you are talking about driving across country if your parents are hospitalized for coronavirus, be aware that they might not even let you see them if they are in isolation.  This was the case with the elderly people in the nursing home in WA.  I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't count on being able to see them 😞.  Hopefully this isn't something you end up having to worry about!  

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 3

I'm conservative - but I'm so ticked off with many "conservative" talking heads, and the misinformation they're disseminating.   i'm on a women's FB group, and someone posted something by some talking head MD whose specialty is addiction.   I did manage to shut down the thread with my refutation, which I ended with "i'll listen to the epidemiologists".  

but I live less than ten miles from the hospital where 16 deaths have occurred, and most of the 100+ cases (with lousy testing so far) are located.  someone was trashing bill gates for putting out testing kits (bill - you're already late.), and I said I was in an epicenter " oh, you live in china?"   it's moron's like this who are going to make this even worse because they're not going to take this seriously until they get it themselves.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cnew02 said:

I’m hearing people complain both that the media is over hyping this virus and that it’s sugar coating it.  I guess it’s different outlets.  Or maybe different interpretations.  It’s a weird thing through.  

I do think that people need to be have enough “scientific intelligence “ to be able to hear the facts and interpret them accurately. Maybe that’s where there is a disconnect?  I can’t quite see how someone could hear the statistics coming out of Wuhan and not know that this was worse than the flu or not know that having a new virus means that absolutely no one has built up immunity etc. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

have my 85 year old dad 10 minutes from me and my 93 year old in-laws 15 minutes from me.  My level of worry for their safety during all of this is through the roof and I cannot even imagine if they were across the country!  But...if you are talking about driving across country if your parents are hospitalized for coronavirus, be aware that they might not even let you see them if they are in isolation.  This was the case with the elderly people in the nursing home in WA.  I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't count on being able to see them 😞.  Hopefully this isn't something you end up having to worry about!  

Edited 3 minutes ago by mlktwins

If either sets of parents gets this I’m pretty sure I’ll be needing to go back home to do funeral preparations and settle estates, unfortunately.  Both sets are very high risk for something like this.  

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I do think that people need to be have enough “scientific intelligence “ to be able to hear the facts and interpret them accurately. Maybe that’s where there is a disconnect?  I can’t quite see how someone could hear the statistics coming out of Wuhan and not know that this was worse than the flu or not know that having a new virus means that absolutely no one has built up immunity etc. 

this.

they don't understand statistics.  they look at how many people have had the flu, how many have died from the flu - ignoring the fact flu has been circulating for months.  

they look at the total number of cases vs the number who have died, and see it's a small number.  they do NOT understand you can only consider deaths in relation to *cured* cases (which is a signifantly smaller number).

they don't understand epidemiology and that flu is merely a variation of a virus that circulates every year, so people have immunity to flu viruses which for most people, mitigates the seriousness of it.  this - is novel.  no one has immunity.  there's even some indications having it once doesn't grant immunity.

they don't understand how viri work in the body, or the difference in transmission, or how long they live in surfaces, or in the air, etc.

it's scary how many of the scientific illiterates think this was released on purpose to reduce the population.  - but then, my engineer brother is a conspiracy theorist and I wouldn't even tell him the reason I won't go to his 60th BD this weekend is because I want to limit the possibility of me contracting this virus.  (we're in a hotspot).   I would expect him to make some idiotic "it's just the flu" comment.

all adds up to lack of scientific understanding (regardless of their education) - and some unwillingness to learn.  sometimes ignorance is bliss - until it bites you in the patoottie.

eta: one "sane" site I was reading pointed out, pneumonia with flu comes as "collateral" symptom of someone who is susceptible.  this virus - attacks the lungs.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I just wanted to add- I think there is also some denial (which is not a river in Egypt) so they'll grab onto those purveyors of ignorance that this is "just" another flu - because reality is too scary for them.

but - most people lived through the Spanish flu (estimates are 3 - 6 % of the *total* global population died.), and most people will (probably) live through this too.

and the governor is talking about increasing "social distancing" measures (re: closing schools.)

• Like 1

Definitely getting closer here!

Just got a message from kids' school. There is a possible case in older ds's class. His class has to stay home tomorrow and Wednesday. Test results are expected for Wednesday afternoon. If negative they go back on Thursday, if positive they will decide what to do (I assume close the whole school for two weeks). This is especially bothersome as he is a senior and supposed to sit for final exams in May (and this week and the next two he has tests that will also count for his final grade).

• Sad 9

Here I am, in my little house in the woods, a fully established emergency preparedness type person, topped off for any sort of quarantine... and there’s a spreading brush fire about 10-15 acres behind me.  It’s reportedly spreading in the opposite direction, but the winds are blowing toward me.

I threw an extra large bottle of hand sanitizer in the car!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 18

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

As an immunocompromised person I have to be very careful about the flu. Especially since I have the kind of “flu body aches” 24/7/365 days a year and don’t always know initially that I have it or if I am in a flare. But-  I can get vaccinated for the flu (now- at one point I couldn’t handle it) and my friends and family always get vaccinated in part to protect me. I also get the pneumonia vaccination which protects me from some of the known causes of pneumonia (but not COVID19). My biggest danger from the flu is complications like pneumonia or secondary infections that can run rampant.  Vaccination doesn’t always keep me from getting sick but it does keep me from getting as sick and going into the danger zone. 

There isn’t a vaccination for COVID19. And it’s not covered by my pneumonia vaccination. And it’s a new illness which means that my doctors can’t necessarily predict potential issues and take timely intervention. 

This explains my situation almost to a T.   The differences between Jean and myself is that I never had an issue where I coultn't be vaccinated for flu.  Also I have two additional risk factors- asthma- which now in the spring means I have often have shortness of breath but I relieve it by using my inhaler- and the second is secondary labile hypertension - which is treated.  

Almost all of the flu deaths are people who weren't vaccinated and who don;t have a history of vaccination.  The history of vaccination is important because if the vaccine turns out to be not quite correct but you had a vaccine two years ago that may have some of the additional elements that when you combine your body's current response to this years vaccine and the one from two years ago, you are basically protected and if you get the flu, it will be very minor.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I just wanted to add- I think there is also some denial (which is not a river in Egypt) so they'll grab onto those purveyors of ignorance that this is "just" another flu - because reality is too scary for them.

but - most people lived through the Spanish flu (estimates are 3 - 6 % of the *total* global population died.), and most people will (probably) live through this too.

and the governor is talking about increasing "social distancing" measures (re: closing schools.)

I agree.  BTW (and I know that I'm preaching to the choir to you but am saying this for others), no one is saying "We're all going to DIE!"  Even those of us with chronic illness.  No one is saying that absolutely everyone should hide themselves in a bunker.  But there are measures we can take.  And if someone lives in a hot zone like we do, those measures are going to be a bit more urgent because we do want to keep things from spreading and getting worse. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't watch tv so my news comes mostly from the internet sources I seek out and radio. Talk radio has been minimizing & pooh-poohing and joking even this morning. One sports head keeps complaining about cancellations & playing without fans. Large basketball state tournament this week in my area will not be cancelled the people In charge say.

Since the local schools are all in it & there is COVID exposure in my state already, I assume some locals will be exposed this week & some will start seeing symptoms as early as Sunday but no testing for another week or three.

• Sad 3

19 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

Definitely getting closer here!

Just got a message from kids' school. There is a possible case in older ds's class. His class has to stay home tomorrow and Wednesday. Test results are expected for Wednesday afternoon. If negative they go back on Thursday, if positive they will decide what to do (I assume close the whole school for two weeks). This is especially bothersome as he is a senior and supposed to sit for final exams in May (and this week and the next two he has tests that will also count for his final grade).

the university of Washington didn't want to do anything yet, but some students started a petition last week.  this week, is the last week of classes and finals next week.  the next quarter starts Mar. 30.   - so, staring today, they're switching to online classes. (1ds was already doing online)  but they have a lot of undergrads who live on campus, and they can't shut that down.

the school districts have been working out how to implement online if they switch to that - but they also know they are daycare for many of their parents.  not everyone has the luxury of being able to work from home (those who can, have been asked to stay home.)   one district is closed, other's have individual schools closed for "deep cleaning".

I did see an article how this has been a boon to cleaning businesses that are capable of doing a deep sanitizing clean.  though I wonder how many will say they can - but don't have a history of having done it.

8 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Here I am, in my little house in the woods, a fully established emergency preparedness type person, topped off for any sort of quarantine... and there’s a spreading brush fire about 10-15 acres behind me.  It’s reportedly spreading in the opposite direction, but the winds are blowing toward me.

bad, bad wind.   

14 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I am sorry about the brush fire.  I hope that they can get it under control soon. 

(I know that you are being lighthearted about the hand sanitizer but remember it's flammable!) 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I agree.  BTW (and I know that I'm preaching to the choir to you but am saying this for others), no one is saying "We're all going to DIE!"  Even those of us with chronic illness.  No one is saying that absolutely everyone should hide themselves in a bunker.  But there are measures we can take.  And if someone lives in a hot zone like we do, those measures are going to be a bit more urgent because we do want to keep things from spreading and getting worse. 

I am afraid of what would happen to me if I got this.  recent pneumonia that was not exactly responsive will do that.  (and I'm still coughing . . . . . . . . ) that and a weak immune system.

dh is generally very healthy, and fairly oblivious - but he's taking this more seriously than me.  maybe my recent pneumonia scared him.

I just find it really interesting that his nephew was in (western) china in January, publishes photos of them out taking a walk while wearing masks, and making jokes.  then we get a message he wanted to cancel dinner plans for last week because this virus is making him nervous.

• Sad 2

47 minutes ago, Cnew02 said:

If either sets of parents gets this I’m pretty sure I’ll be needing to go back home to do funeral preparations and settle estates, unfortunately.  Both sets are very high risk for something like this.  

I get it!  I don't think all 3 of my elderly people will make it either.  I already lost my mom in 2001.  

Sadly, I don't think they will be having funerals if things get as bad as I think it might.  They will not want people gathering for services.  I'm guessing funerals will be delayed or memorial services in the future will be the norm.  I haven't heard anything about this part in WA.  I'm sure they are not having funerals.

As far as settling estates, that may be postponed also or things done by phone/electronically (paperwork, etc.) until it is safe for you to get there and go through belongings and tie up loose ends, etc.

I get it, I really do!  Yesterday, I typed up an information sheet for 911 in case he has to go to the hospital and I can't get there.  It is in an envelope and taped to his fridge in his apartment.  Today, I am reading through his advanced medical directive to refresh my memory and have a copy over at his place also.  Just in case.  Praying neither are needed, but felt I should have this in place.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Just now, gardenmom5 said:

I am afraid of what would happen to me if I got this.  recent pneumonia that was not exactly responsive will do that.  (and I'm still coughing . . . . . . . . ) that and a weak immune system.

dh is generally very healthy, and fairly oblivious - but he's taking this more seriously than me.  maybe my recent pneumonia scared him.

I just find it really interesting that his nephew was in (western) china in January, publishes photos of them out taking a walk while wearing masks, and making jokes.  then we get a message he wanted to cancel dinner plans for last week because this virus is making him nervous.

Have you ever gotten the pneumonia vaccine?  It has helped me a lot.  (Won't work on COVID19 since pneumonia itself is caused by various viruses and bacteria and the vaccine targets those as much as it can.)

As far as jokes go.  People can take things seriously and still joke.  I think that we need that release at times.  It's when those jokes are in the form of ignorant minimizing that it gets dangerous. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Have you ever gotten the pneumonia vaccine?  It has helped me a lot.  (Won't work on COVID19 since pneumonia itself is caused by various viruses and bacteria and the vaccine targets those as much as it can.)

As far as jokes go.  People can take things seriously and still joke.  I think that we need that release at times.  It's when those jokes are in the form of ignorant minimizing that it gets dangerous. 

no - both times it was because I aspirated something, and they were both bacterial.  (I thought I was being clever doing a saline sinus rinse this time to avoid a sinus infection . . . . . . I'd rather have had the sinus infection. . . . . .)

I've only very rarely even had a flu shot.  (once when an unseen force pressured me to do so.  I had the flu twice that season, and considering how sick I was, I'm absolutely positive I would have required hospitalization if I hadn't had the shot.)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

I have my 85 year old dad 10 minutes from me and my 93 year old in-laws 15 minutes from me.  My level of worry for their safety during all of this is through the roof and I cannot even imagine if they were across the country!  But...if you are talking about driving across country if your parents are hospitalized for coronavirus, be aware that they might not even let you see them if they are in isolation.  This was the case with the elderly people in the nursing home in WA.  I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't count on being able to see them 😞.  Hopefully this isn't something you end up having to worry about!  

My parents are (divorced from each other) each around 3000 miles away.  My father has a younger wife and nearby kids to give him help. 

For my mother, I’ve been helping to order her things long distance.  

She so far probably has less Covid-19 in her area than I do in mine, but it seems like it is just a matter of time for it to travel most everywhere.  

How much time being the current critical seeming issue.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am sorry about the brush fire.  I hope that they can get it under control soon. 

(I know that you are being lighthearted about the hand sanitizer but remember it's flammable!) 

It’s supposedly under control now, though the fire dept. hasn’t cleared yet.

If it had gone more than an acre or so, the boys and I would have already been driving out of the neighborhood! But it was really annoying to think about leaving all of my supplies behind!

• Like 6

Just now, Carrie12345 said:

It’s supposedly under control now, though the fire dept. hasn’t cleared yet.

If it had gone more than an acre or so, the boys and I would have already been driving out of the neighborhood! But it was really annoying to think about leaving all of my supplies behind!

I’m glad fire is under control.  Fire scares me way more than virus. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 5:58 PM, Pen said:

I think (just a guess as no one can foretell future) u would probably be okay at zoo type activities.  Don’t touch eyes, nose, mouth )face) without thoroughly washing hands.  Keep a little distance from strangers.  Maybe in buildings too would be okay if you use good sanitation and some social distancing.  

(You could maybe add some civic duty by showing others how your family cleans your hands carefully — instead of being afraid to seem weird. Thus helping others to feel okay to wash their hands carefully too.  It is a good idea at a zoo for other reasons than Covid-19.  Zoonotic illnesses, flu, etc etc) 

Yes! Interestingly, our family has recently started washing our hands a LOT more due to bringing a bearded dragon pet into the house. Being very intentional about washing after touching her/working with her food.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

My parents are (divorced from each other) each around 3000 miles away.  My father has a younger wife and nearby kids to give him help. 

For my mother, I’ve been helping to order her things long distance.  

She so far probably has less Covid-19 in her area than I do in mine, but it seems like it is just a matter of time for it to travel most everywhere.  

How much time being the current critical seeming issue.  

My dad is alone.  He loves his apartment, but it is an independent living building (not assisted living) with lots of elderly people and activities.  I've told him to stay in his apartment for a couple of weeks and lay low.  We just had our 3rd case here.  With the area I am in (Northern VA), it is going to explode pretty quickly.  I want him to stay in his apartment and see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

I got him stocked up on groceries, meds, and toiletries.  Made up 4 weeks worth of daily meds for him and can talk him through it over the phone after that.  He learned to FaceTime yesterday -- LOL.  I was with him and DS1 was at home on the other end.  He loved it.  We are going to practice again today.

So stressful!!!  I would be stressed if it was just the 4 of us, but having the 3 elderly people to worry about puts it over the top for me :-(.

• Like 6

Our heads are still in the sand here in Michigan.  Updated today: 

"The new test kits arrived following news from the CDC that testing criteria had expanded to include any persons, including healthcare workers, who have had close contact with a laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 patient within 14 days of symptom onset, or a history of travel to one of the affected geographic areas within 14 days of symptom onset."  They have "approved" testing for 47 people to date.

My FIL is extremely high risk and is visiting in Atlanta, Georgia.  He exclusively watches Fox News so he has no worries or concerns, it's being contained. 🙃  He goes to Sam's Club for lunch most days, or just to keep busy.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

My FIL is extremely high risk and is visiting in Atlanta, Georgia.  He exclusively watches Fox News so he has no worries or concerns, it's being contained. 🙃  He goes to Sam's Club for lunch most days, or just to keep busy.

I have my annoyances with either political party but Fox News here is on the ball https://www.ktvu.com/news

• Like 2

@mathnerd

KTVU (my local Fox News) https://www.ktvu.com/news/nasa-ames-closed-after-employee-tests-positive-for-coronavirus

“MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - NASA's Ames Research Center in Mountain View has been closed and employees ordered on telework status after an employee tested positive for the virus, NASA officials said late Sunday.

"We believe the exposure at the center has been limited, but - out of an abundance of caution, and in consultation with NASA Headquarters and the NASA Chief Heath and Medical Officer in accordance to agency response plans - Ames Research Center will temporarily go to a mandatory telework status until further notice," officials said in a statement.”

ETA: https://arcsos.arc.nasa.gov/archives/242

Edited by Arcadia
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

the school districts have been working out how to implement online if they switch to that - but they also know they are daycare for many of their parents. 

I was thinking about that. If they went to online instruction and kids who could stay home did so, plus maybe some who could go to a friend’s house did that, I wonder if that could allow healthy kids who needed it to then do their online schooling at the school.  With many kids gone, classrooms could have much more physical space to allow distancing. And working online they could stay at one assigned desk, not go room to room for classes and desk to desk for group projects or where seating is not consistent day to day, so that virus is very rapidly spread. 

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/education/article241028181.html

“Sierra College declared a state of emergency and is limiting who can access its campuses beginning Monday, according to officials. 

Officials are limiting access to its four campuses for the month of March.. Only registered students, faculty, staff and affiliates are authorized on the campuses, according to the college’s website. 

“This declaration also allows us to take actions outlined by the California Department of Public Health and distributed by the California Community College Chancellor’s Office to provide instruction remotely and support continuity of instruction,” read the statement.

Instruction will continue for the college’s 20,000 students. But by Wednesday, faculty should be prepared to provide instruction remotely, including labs and other activities. The college district will determine which labs will remain on site. 

By March 18, all campuses are expected to be online under a campus learning system called Canvas. 

Instructional field trips, travel for classes, all community events held on campus and student club events are canceled for March. 

All athletic competitions are still scheduled but without spectators. Travel and away games are continuing for now, according to the district’s statement.

The four-campus college serves students at locations in Rocklin, Roseville, Grass Valley and Truckee. 

The college district stated it took action after two Sierra College employees were exposed to the coronavirus. Both employees returned to work at the Rocklin campus administrative office after they were exposed, and were sent home once they were notified of the exposure. No one associated with Sierra College has tested positive for the virus, according to officials”

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I have my annoyances with either political party but Fox News here is on the ball https://www.ktvu.com/news

I think most people are referring to the national cable Fox News.

My local affiliate does a very decent job of covering our area in a fair way, and I'm guessing many (most?) local channels are like that.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 5

Israel just announced that all arrivals from abroad will have to quarantine at home for 14 days.  Non-Israelis can only enter if they have proof of a place to quarantine.

There are now 42 cases here, one of unknown origin (i.e., didn't travel abroad).  He is a medic who visited a number of places in the days before he was diagnosed, including a nursing home.  Not good.

• Sad 4

our community has been hit hard by this.

some of the larger companies are now donating $2.5M to a fund to help those impacted (I assume by loss of income, small businesses are hurting.  dd's business has over 100 employees - but they're hurting.)  food trucks/etc. have been hit very hard because they park outside those tech hubs - where people are now working from home.

(there has been state monies available for those residents at the nursing home so families can get help to remove their family member.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JennyD said:

Israel just announced that all arrivals from abroad will have to quarantine at home for 14 days.  Non-Israelis can only enter if they have proof of a place to quarantine.

There are now 42 cases here, one of unknown origin (i.e., didn't travel abroad).  He is a medic who visited a number of places in the days before he was diagnosed, including a nursing home.  Not good.

Thanks

Edited by Pen
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

1 hour ago, Plum said:

Sometimes it's the same outlet. Maybe it depends on the author. WaPo had a fairly balanced article on the Flu vs. Coronavirus with all facts and stats, no opinion. And then other articles they write, you would think it's the end of the world. I'm payblocked out of it now, but I read it before and remember thinking it was one of their more balanced articles. I have to be really picky about who I watch and read. 

The challenge is that this is a RAPIDLY evolving situation. Even the WaPost article you liked has stats that are woefully out of date. "early March" is a lifetime ago. There are far more than 90K confirmed infections now, most of which are now outside China. The article, even tho it was published today, is woefully out of date. We already know, for example, that the virus is not contained. It *is* balanced and helpful. It is simply...old.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

My dad is alone.  He loves his apartment, but it is an independent living building (not assisted living) with lots of elderly people and activities.  I've told him to stay in his apartment for a couple of weeks and lay low.  We just had our 3rd case here.  With the area I am in (Northern VA), it is going to explode pretty quickly.  I want him to stay in his apartment and see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

I got him stocked up on groceries, meds, and toiletries.  Made up 4 weeks worth of daily meds for him and can talk him through it over the phone after that.  He learned to FaceTime yesterday -- LOL.  I was with him and DS1 was at home on the other end.  He loved it.  We are going to practice again today.

So stressful!!!  I would be stressed if it was just the 4 of us, but having the 3 elderly people to worry about puts it over the top for me :-(.

I wish my older people would get with FaceTime.  My father has an iPhone but doesn’t FaceTime or equivalent. 

My mother has finger dexterity problems and hasn’t gotten onto cellphone use at all.  I bought her a tracphone some time back, but there were problems.  

I have thought maybe I should try again now.  If she did have to go to hospital it would help for her to have her own portable communication and information device. 

Maybe I should raise the issue again.

?????

Princeton, Fordham, Columbia https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/education/2020/03/09/coronavirus-nj-princeton-university-mandates-remote-classes/4999432002/

“Princeton University classes will go all online after spring break as a response to the coronavirus, the first college in the state to do so, officials said. 

University students were also encouraged to stay home after spring break, university President Christopher Eisgruber said in a letter to students and staff.

The announcement came less than 24 hours after the state announced its sixth case of the virus with the number of confirmed cases expected to grow. As of Monday afternoon the state has 11 cases. 

The university is also aiming to limit large congregations of people on campus by way of "social distancing." 

"Though we recognize that a personal, 'high touch' educational environment is one of Princeton’s great strengths, we also recognize that these are extraordinary times that require exceptional measures to deal with a health risk that affects us all," Eisgruber said.

The mandated remote classes will begin on March 23, when students were scheduled to come back from spring break, until April 5 — when the policies will be reassessed depending on the scale of the outbreak at that time, Eisgruber said. 

Fordham University and Colombia University, both in New York City, have taken similar measures. 

Columbia canceled classes on Monday and Tuesday to prep for remote classes the remainder of the week, after a university community member was exposed to the coronavirus, university President Lee C. Bollinger said on Sunday.

Fordham will also begin remote classes on Wednesday and canceled all on-campus events until at least March 29, the university announced. 

Princeton students were assured that they will still be able to meet their academic requirements if they choose to stay home.

International students comprised 25 percent of the total student enrollment at Princeton in the 2018-2019 academic year and nearly half of the graduate program, according to university data. 

Campus life activities and groups that require physical presence will continue but will be "subject to appropriate restrictions," the letter said. 

"We understand that these and other measures will cause significant disruption and inconvenience to the campus community," Eisgruber said. "But we strongly believe that actions taken now will have the greatest chance of decreasing risk and that the potential consequences of not acting could far outweigh these short-term disruptions."”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pen said:

I wish my older people would get with FaceTime.  My father has an iPhone but doesn’t FaceTime or equivalent. 

My mother has finger dexterity problems and hasn’t gotten onto cellphone use at all.  I bought her a tracphone some time back, but there were problems.  

I have thought maybe I should try again now.  If she did have to go to hospital it would help for her to have her own portable communication and information device. 

?????

Have you tried just FaceTiming him? I had to train the 80+ year olds in my life about how simple it was.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Plum said:

Does the WaPo article say it was written today? I can't see. I know I read it on March 4th because I linked it but I thought it had been around before that. But the point of linking that was that even the WaPo can have a balanced article every once in a while. 

I agree this is a rapidly evolving situation. The CDC is constantly updating their recommendations for everyone. 

It said 3/9 when I opened it. This is one of those situations that folks do have to stay on top of. I had 'cruise or bust?' military retiree friends (in their 50s) who are FINALLY reconsidering their summer plans. I consider that progress. The wife initially mocked my warnings.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pen said:

?????

Is she with it enough to do voice controls for her phone?  You can put a tracfone chip into an iPhone.

7 minutes ago, Pen said:

?????

I would definitely try!  My dad never carried the cell phone we got him (that we were paying for).  Never.  It was always left at home and always out of battery.

He uses his iPad a lot for games, etc.  That is what we did FaceTime with.  I don't have an iPhone, but can FT with my iPad.

I would try again with your dad too.  Let him know this would ease your mind.  I figured it my dad was getting sick and I couldn't get to him, I would be able to see him and see if he needed help or was doing ok.  

• Like 1