Menu

Interior painting?

Carol in Cal.

That was my project the summer of 2018. Our house was 16 years old and other than the kids' rooms, the long hallway, and one living room wall, we had never painted inside. And I still didn't paint ceilings. I mostly painted the same exact color the builders used plus one accent wall in living room that's a darker version of same color. We only painted because we were going to replace the carpets and it seemed like a good idea to paint first.

Edited by Ali in OR

I've painted more than I want...but mainly because one project leads to another leads to another. 

Weve lived here almost 14 years. I've painted:

• every ceiling 1x (once is enough!)
  • every bedroom 1x, when we first moved in
  • kitchen walls 3x (1 was a color disaster that I immediately painted over)
  • kitchen cabinets 2x (a decade between)
  • living room/hall 2x
  • hall bathroom 1x (but will paint it soon)
  • master bathroom 2x

The most recent paintings of kitchen, kitchen cabinets, hall/living room, master bath, and all their ceilings were all one big snowball of a project that I was so glad to be finished with (also included ripping up floor and subfloor in kitchen and bathroom to fix rot). 

Edited by alisoncooks

My dh painted several rooms in this house ~ 5 years ago because they were too dark (previous homeowner). I'd still like him to paint a couple more rooms (weren't painted and are still a little dark for my taste). Other than that, we won't paint until we have too - which hopefully will be never. 

So we’re normal people? 😃

we moved into this house 7 years ago, and have just started painting.  Only because I hated the colors all these years- they were just too dark.  If I had liked them better, I probably wouldn’t have thought to paint.  The paint cans the previous owner left behind indicated they didn’t paint frequently either! 😂

Our previous home we were in for 9 years and only had it painted when we were selling it, as part of the staging process.  

My folks painted and re-wallpapered their house exactly once in the 50 years they lived there.  So I’m doing better than that.

i would think if you liked the color and it was in decent shape, there would be no need to paint.  But I will admit, I didnt quite realize how dirty the old walls/trim were until I started painting, so there’s that too.

We paint when we move in and then whenever I want to makeover a room so maybe every 3-5 years. I still haven't finished this new house but I did paint both kids rooms and bathrooms as well as a massive built-in entertainment unit upstairs. I also painted the dining room. I still need to do the foyer, half bath, living room and master bedroom. When we moved in, every room was the same color. We’ve only been here a little over a year. I’m pacing myself.

Edited by Sneezyone

21 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Sounds like my friend may be a bit remiss.

Ha! I cannot count the number of homes we saw that were oppressively decorated with deep tan, hunter green, cranberry, and floral wallpapers. I’m willing to paint but not when every flipping room needs immediate attention. At least the color they painted this house was 2000s beige...light enough that I can be patient with myself. If it’s 30+ years old, my bet is on past due.

Edited by Sneezyone

If you're gonna live in one house until you kick the bucket, paint isn't much of a concern. We've never lived anywhere longer than four years so paint is HUGE to me. Our house was nice when we moved in but there's no question that it's better now. Part of me looks forward to finding our next house with good bones, great neighborhood, and horrid colors. INSTANT EQUITY! 

Some before and afters. I really love this stuff. :biggrin:

48992726_10216039552514686_5390977666436300800_n.jpg

49947891_10216120374135176_4324167490155315200_n.jpg

48393114_10215952712823748_2748868164241588224_n.jpg

48367579_10215952712503740_5199035105531658240_n.jpg

48370630_10215931757019866_1194068180360757248_n.jpg

48361260_10215931757259872_8733877371498659840_n.jpg

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

OH MY WORD. The baby poop gold/brown of the early 00s. I actually paid someone to paint my house that color a long time ago I am ashamed to say. I contrasted it with burgundy, and my interior decorator on the side boss even talked me into painting some of the ceilings burgundy. I shudder now to remember. I am so glad that is gone. And also Nomadic Desert needs to soon die a peaceful death as well. 

Yep. The whole house was just...blah. We got lucky b/c this was the best of a bad lot in this neighborhood, cheapest on the block! No one updated b/c they didn't have to to get their homes sold. Updated places came with a five-figure premium! $500 and a couple of weekends (ok, the bathrooms were a little more) and we're in great shape!

• Like 1

My aunt painted every three years when I was a kid. She had her four kids, a younger sister and my dad helping. My mom worked as a nurse and her husband worked as a bus inspector so they couldn’t help. I am sensitive to turpentine so I go buy food and drinks. 

My childhood home was painted rarely. More like twice in 30 years. My home has not been repainted. It is cream color for interior walls and my kids like it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

My friend is talking about painting as maintenance, not as decor.  Underlying assumption is that the house is basically colored well.  Just not with recent paint.

Yeah, that would be a hard no from me, lol. If it's in good shape, I'd leave it. If it's dated or in disrepair, I'd paint it.

• Like 1

We just painted ours for the first time in 14.5 years.

Well, the kids’ rooms had gotten painted early on, but desperately need repainting now.

The rest of the house is wide open, odd shapes, tons of windows, and a really high ceiling. Painting has always been my nightmare.  Technically, it wasn’t as bad as I had predicted, but the reality is that there’s still an edge at the top of the stairs that we haven’t figured out how to get to, and my mostly-hidden loft isn’t done yet (which you can tell if you look all the way up from downstairs.  So it’s just a lower key nightmare.

We started a whole house repainting project last winter and still have two rooms and a bathroom to go. Once we're done I don't plan on doing it again for a long, long time. Probably at least ten years. I love fresh clean paint but we're all adults now and I don't plan on having big, hairy dogs anymore. So what we've just done should hold up fine for a long time.

We’ve lived in our house ten years. In about 6 months, we’ll start getting bids to paint the main living areas, the master bedroom, all the trim and all the ceilings. DH painted most of the walls, some of the ceilings and trim before our furniture arrive. We plan on selling in the near future and this would need to be done anyway. Doing it sooner, we’ll have a chance to enjoy it .

9 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

My friend is talking about painting as maintenance, not as decor.  Underlying assumption is that the house is basically colored well.  Just not with recent paint.

For my childhood home, my dad hires a painter. The painter and his workers covered our furniture, strip off the old paint, even out the “potholes” in the wall and painted three coats. We had an upright piano and a heavy TV cabinet so it’s difficult for the painters to move to paint.

Considering the lead paint issue in old paint, maybe it was a good thing my dad paid for professional services. My dad who is the most healthy stayed to look, the rest of us went to my maternal aunt’s house. 

Edited by Arcadia

We lived in our last house for 10.5 years and the playroom, laundry room, and kitchen got repainted within the first year.  The rest of the time we lived there the playroom got repainted once more (raspberry was just not a good color for a bunch of boys!), and one wall in the living room got painted.  DH hates painting and I've only done it once, many years ago before we got married.

We've been in our current house for a year, and so far the living room has been painted (after removing wallpaper).  15' of wall along an open hallway + the entryway will be painted in the next couple weeks (again, wallpaper was removed).  We hired someone for both jobs.  Hopefully most of the rest of the main level will be be painted by us in the next 6 months.  A bathroom and a bedroom have had wallpaper removed and need to be painted, and our long L shaped hallway + a few short walls around the kitchen needs repainting...I think the previous owners painted it before listing it and they did a lousy job, with missed spots and areas where it appears that they primed but didn't paint.  I'd also like to repaint the baby blue accent wall in the master bathroom.  DH will eventually get around to painting the un-wallpapered bathroom, and I will probably need to paint the rest this summer if I actually want it to happen.  I cannot imagine that painting will be more of a hassle than removing wallpaper and cleaning 100s of sq ft of grout.  (After removing wallpaper from 4 rooms, never again will I buy a house with a bunch of wallpaper! And there's still wallpaper on 2/3 of the family room, the stairwell, and half of the bonus room.)

My parents have lived in their house for 30 years, and in that time the attic bedroom has been repainted once, and the living room and main floor bathroom once.  My parents are definitely not big on home upkeep though.

So far this year we have painted the master bath, master bedroom, kids’ bathroom and laundry. The previous owner painted the upstairs a light griege with lavender undertones. All of the fixtures, fireplace brick, etc are all creamy. As is the trim. They clash really badly. It’s so frustrating to have to go in and fix, but it feels so much better once the room is done.

13 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

If you're gonna live in one house until you kick the bucket, paint isn't much of a concern. We've never lived anywhere longer than four years so paint is HUGE to me. Our house was nice when we moved in but there's no question that it's better now. Part of me looks forward to finding our next house with good bones, great neighborhood, and horrid colors. INSTANT EQUITY! 

Some before and afters. I really love this stuff. :biggrin:

48992726_10216039552514686_5390977666436300800_n.jpg

49947891_10216120374135176_4324167490155315200_n.jpg

48393114_10215952712823748_2748868164241588224_n.jpg

48367579_10215952712503740_5199035105531658240_n.jpg

48370630_10215931757019866_1194068180360757248_n.jpg

48361260_10215931757259872_8733877371498659840_n.jpg

Quick hijack....Sneezyone-I LOVE your floors-that's exactly what I'm looking for! Could I bother you for their stats? 🙂 

2 hours ago, bodiesmom said:

Quick hijack....Sneezyone-I LOVE your floors-that's exactly what I'm looking for! Could I bother you for their stats? 🙂 

The bathrooms or the dining room? The dining room has hardwood but we redid the upstairs bathrooms with LVP from Home Depot. I think it was called Highland Pine. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-Highland-Pine-7-5-in-x-47-6-in-Luxury-Vinyl-Plank-Flooring-24-74-sq-ft-case-41994/300253318?mtc=Shopping-VF-F_Vendor-G-D23-23_4_VINYL_FLOORING-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-NA&cm_mmc=Shopping-VF-F_Vendor-G-D23-23_4_VINYL_FLOORING-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-NA-71700000033435153-58700003894707726-92700046329857801&gclid=CjwKCAiApOvwBRBUEiwAcZGdGJ02Cml5YLzHKtTlBNo76XeI-wr5excXe6HUBt4fHM-hfnxP_wk5dBoCfT0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Thanks 1