Menu

What does your kinder. program look like?

Math: RightStart, Horizons, Kumon, Mathtacular and math literature. We're somewhat disorganized in our use of these resources. We just try to consistently do something that is math.

Phonics: ETC online, OPGTR, starfall, and Letter Factory videos. I'm also trying to remember to actually have her READ to me. We go too long with just doing the lessons. I've let loose from the "readers" and she's finding it MUCh more enjoyable to read things like "Biscuit" and "Little Bear." I just fill in words that I need to, or try to encourage her if I think she can make a good stab at decoding.

Handwriting: Draw, Write, Now is a hit. She's enjoying the Memoria Press copybook, but it also lets her draw a picture.

Art: *I* enjoy that my mom takes over for this. She gets out her pottery wheel or an endless supply of watercolors and lets the kids just go nuts. She even framed 2 works by my dd and entered them in an art show. Woo-hoo! I don't have to mess with it.

And, I'll add

Music. We joined a homeschool choir and it's the best activity decision I made.

Literature: I dropped the Sonlight schedule. We are keeping 1 "quality" chapter book at a time going and we read a variety of picture books. They are a mixture of content (Thanksgiving, nature, etc..), classics, and some twaddle.

Edited by snickelfritz

Math - Saxon K / Saxon 1

Phonics/Reading Prac. - Hooked on Phonics, Leapfrog DVDs, Easy Readers

Handwriting - Draw Write Now (also works as art)

Art - projects - We have Oak Meadow and a few other resources to choose from (clay, painting, nature projects like leaf rubbings and prints, flower pressing, cut and paste, coloring.)

I also read aloud literature (Beatrix Potter, fairy tales) and pull copywork from the stories.

Kumon workbooks, Abeka K5 cursive, SWR, and we are figuring out something new for math. I am thinking about trying Math on the Level.

We read tons, play outside tons. The Kumon books are very popular in my home. I credit them with helping my ds go from not even able to draw stick people to actually writing legible cursive letters. (I didn't use Kumon for cursive instruction, just fm development)

My ds enjoys the Burgess Animal Book and Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans.

Ds is still a bit delayed with fm skill, so we keep art simple. Drawing, fingerpainting, playing with clay...all unstructured.

I'm doing K with my just turned five yr old, but next year will also be a combo K/ 1st year. What we're doing:

Reading: ETC, reading aloud from both easy readers and Christian Liberty Press Nature Reader 1. She finished Headsprout in October.

Handwriting: almost done with HWOT Pre-K; will move into the K book in a couple weeks.

Math: almost done with Singapore Earlybird 2B. Will move into RightStart A (placement test says B, but I think I want something easier), and some Saxon activities from the teacher's guide. (Although not going to use the full program. Largely the Meeting and use some of the skills stuff to review previously learned skills).

Readiness Skills: Dev the Early Learner, Building Thinking Skills Primary

Art: crafts on occassion from internet sources (holidays, themes), and some art activities from Preschool Art book by Mary Ann Kohl.

Read Alouds: I read alout a lot. I read aloud from folk tales (esp the ones from You Are Your Child's First Teacher), Five in a Row books, and nonfiction books. I try to mix in books about science and social studies topics. I kinda choose vague themes, like spiders or Thanksgiving, and check out a bunch of books on the topics. But it's not systematic or anything.

I also have a list of sort of life skills I want to teach. It runs the gamut from learning address and phone number to jumping rope, learning more elaborate body parts, tying shoes, memorizing the Confession, etc. Not a systematic program, but I try to address those sorts of things a few times a week.

Math: Saxon 1

Phonics: ETC Primers (A, B, C), Phonics Pathways, Phonemic Awareness Games

Handwriting: HWT PK

Science/History/Literature: Sonlight K

Bible: The Beginner's Bible

Art: Artistic Pursuits, Art for All Seasons, various others

Music: The Story of the Orchestra, Music for Little Mozarts (piano)

Thinking Skills: Can You Find Me? PK & K

We do 2 hours a day. 30 minutes from the above list in the morning, 30 minutes in the afternoon. We also do 1 art/craft project a day and 20 minutes of "school games" when he gets to choose from a wide variety of educational toys, games and puzzles.

I'm really enjoying the phonics work. He does well at it and loves the little games we play that help him learn about words, sounds, and blending. I like watching him learn to read. It is my favorite part of home schooling so far. I thought watching my older son learn to read was even more exciting than watching him learn to walk and talk. I'm excited because he'll eventually have innumerable worlds, stories, and adventures at his fingertips.

Music is also a big thing for us here, but that's because it's such an important part of my life. I love watching the world of music open up to him.

Kinder is a great grade. The pressure is still low - a little math and a little bit of phonics and you're pretty much good to go - and mine still like school at this point. It actually drives older ds crazy to hear his younger brother talk about how he likes school.

Math: We used Singapore EB last year and loved it. I have 1A but when we got to the number bonds it seemed a bit too much for my guy. So I put it aside and we've mostly done Math games. I've been working on skip-counting with him. And what he really loves is a Kumon dot-to-dot book (the dots go up to 150) which he's been doing every day by request. I'm thinking of pulling the 1A back out in Jan.

Phonics: OPGTR, lots of reading games, a reader of some kind every day (a Bob Book, Nora Gaydos readers or some Saxon readers)

Handwriting: HWT

I keep those three to 30-60 minutes total.

I use FIAR with him and that's really fun for us.

For Art and Music I've been following the AO composer and artist schedule. Once a week during tea time we listen to the composer while reading. I have some picture books about the composer and artist that we read during the quarter. And once a week we do a picture study during tea time and then I keep the picture on the wall.

We're using:

Math: Rightstart A- he LOVES this, we do 10 minutes of the lesson, then play a couple of games.

Phonics: Ordinary Parent's Guide. He's so so on this but he does it. We also read BOB books. 10 minutes total at most. He reads tons on is own and to his little brother.

Handwriting: We do about 1 page of italic handwriting a day.

Art: He participates (sometimes) when his sister does Artistic Pursuits. But most of his art involves making Lego sculptures.:)

Last year we did well with:

Math--Storys from the Serendipity blog, followed by worksheets from Rod and Staff Math 1 and Singapore Earlybird 1b and 2a. We used lots of hands on manipulatives many of which I have links to in a recent blog post on math resources.

Phonics/Reading Prac.--I created pictures to go with the SWR phonograms and we worked through Rod and Staff phonics Unit 1 workbook.

Handwriting--copywork. Again, I have a post on my blog about how I teach writing.

Art--we have a table with drawers full of supplies underneath. The children create on their own. Some times I bring out play dough, clay, or paints and we do projects on occassion.

She really enjoyed lapbooks from Homeschoolshare.:001_smile:

Math: Horizons K with supplements (Calvert Primary Math Manipulatives), math games, hands-on and real-life activities

Phonics/Reading Prac.: OPGTTR with flashcards & magnet board, 2 readers per day (one newer and one review) from Bob books, Abeka K5 readers, and some Calvert K5 reading materials plus a few phonics games. We also do read-alouds throughout the day for other subjects and from a peice of literature (a chapter at a time) at bedtime.

Handwriting: Abeka K5 Manuscript Writing With Phonics, and I also make up activities that involve writing for him so that it's in a more meaniful context (not just Aa, Aa, Aa...).

Art: We do our own little projects here and there, but are starting our Atelier Level 1 this week (finally).

We're also doing...

Music: Drum Lessons, 1 hymn per week (started yesterday - just singing along and learning/talking about the words/meanings), listening to classical and jazz during meals and sometimes talking about the composer.

Science: Life Science (animals/human body/botany) per WTM. He's doing this alongside his 2nd grade big brother.

History: SOTW 1, again, just doing this alongside big brother.

Awanas: Memorizing Bible verses and seeing friends.

PE: Tae Kwon Do

What are you enjoying? The cuddle-time during reading, seeing the wonder and amazement on his face as he learns, watching him read and seeing his confidence in his learning ability rise.

Keeping with Kinder being:

Math

Phonics/Reading Prac.

Handwriting

Art

What are you enjoying?

Math: Saxon 1

Phonics/Reading Prac.: Phonics Pathways, Explode the Code, Beginning Readers/Bob Books

Handwriting: We've done A Reason for Handwriting, but the K book has a lot of coloring, so it's only a hit if your kid likes to color. I've also used Pentime (not a hit), Kumon (hit), and StartWrite & Handwriting Without Tears combo (hit)

Art: Nothing formal.

This is my last time doing K and I am really enjoying myself this time around. We are not doing anything formal and that is what I am enjoying about it. I finally feel confident about my teaching ability to do things without a formal program. I am not stressed out that my child is not reading yet (not even close) or that she doesn't know her numbers very well. It will all come. I just want to enjoy this year with her.

This is what we are doing for this year.

Math: I am doing more of a livng math approach with my dd this year. I have used RightStart math for 4 years so I am pretty familiar with the way they teach math. I am using RS A as a guide to know what I should be teaching. We use storybooks, games and other hands on activities to teach these concepts.

Phonics: My dd wants to learn how to read but her brain hasn't caught up with her enthusiasm so we are using Oak Meadow for a familiarity with the letters.

Handwriting: I am not using a program for this. I used HWT with my oldest so I just show my dd how to make the letters and she does it on her own whenever the spirit hits.

Art: Again, we use OM for this. We watercolour, play with clay, modelling beeswax, draw, colour and make crafts (last week we made a sock puppet to represent a rat as it was 'R' week.)

The rest of the time is for play, read alouds, nature walks, baking, etc.

I am enjoying the naturalness of this year. There is no stress. I love OM as it lends to this feeling.

Math - A half lesson of Right Start A, usually 4-5 days a week, Kumon Number Games and Numbers 1-120 whenever DD wants to do them

Reading/Phonics - 1-2 lessons in ABeCeDarian a day, depending on whether she wants to keep going. Reading Eggs online for games and reinforcement, lots of practice reading with BOB Books, Dick and Jane, McGuffey's Primer and other readers for variety.

Handwriting - The written work in ABCD. HWT K twice a week (nearly finished with this)

Art - Five in a Row. They have some awesome art lessons and DD really enjoys "art day." I am thinking of doing Artistic Pursuits or Draw Write Now beginning in January or February since we will be using Moving Beyond the Page then and it doesn't include art.

More and more often I find I am enjoying math time, since she is not frustrated and whining any longer when it's time for math. I also love watching her learn to read and she's so proud of herself when she does well!

The basics take from 30 min. to 1 hour (reading, math, writing, French)

The other stuff - varies on time and depends on her interest.

Reading - Ordinary Parent's Guide and (sporadically) ETC

Math - RightStart

Handwriting - pages I made from free internet resources

French - Easy French Jr.

Other stuff: Art, Science, MFW K (this is all just for fun whenever she wants to do them - which is ALL the time!)

Art - Crafts for Young Children

Science - Sonlight Discover and Do dvd and experiment kit; nature walks

My Father's World K - not the whole program - we just do a "theme" week and pick some of the activities and books

Math: MCP Math Level K, one page four days a week. I present the lesson, do some enrichment activities and son does a page: the first one or two with my help and the rest he does independently. I'm available for questions of course.

Phonics/Reading Prac.: For Phonics we use Tanglewood's Really Reading Program and Spectrum Phonics Grade 1 workbook, alternating days for a total of four days a week. For readers ds reads Nora Gaydos's pre-readers and Level 2 books, Step Into Reading Level 1 and Level 2 books.

Handwriting: Getty Dubay's Italic Handwriting Book A

Art: Art class devised and instructed by Daddy (also an artist). Introduction to history, cultures, presented chronologically. It's ds' favorite.

We also add to that:

Poetry daily

Piano once a week for half an hour

Geography once a week

Science once a week

Spanish once a week

Nature Walks once a week

MusikGarten once a week

Literature (read-alouds) daily -- Peak with Books or just high quality children's literature

Lots of unstructured play, chores, help with baking and cooking, and outings and occasional, more formal, field trips.

Art is folded into science and history because it's such a great teaching tool with the younger children.

For reading I am using Reading Made Easy. I do modify it slightly, and it includes copywork which counts towards handwriting. My dd is also working through A Reason For Handwriting (1st grade book). For math, I'm using Horizons K this year plus some basic fact drill worksheets.

I love K students. :)

Math:

We are using BJU K5 math for my DD and it is working beautifully. She had trouble counting to 20 when we started in August, and is now counting to 60 and skip counting by 10's. We also have some connect-the-dots books to help her with her number recognition.

Phonics/Reading Prac.:

We are mainly doing Abeka K5 phonics. Though I just got SSRW used for a great price. I don't care for the workbooks, but the songs and games are working great alongside of Abeka. She reads Abeka, SSRW, Bob Books, and Nora Gaydos readers.

Handwriting:

Just started the lower-case letters on HWT. So far so good. Once the book is complete, we'll make handwriting sheets with StartWrite (I love that program).

Art:

Anything that I pull together for Bible, or History topics...or just for fun. We are doing a lot of cutting, pasting, painting, and stickers. She doesn't like to color very much, so we sort of do that only occasionally.

What are you enjoying?

She learned the Pledge of Allegiance this year and begs to say it every morning. Except she says "predge" and "liverty". It makes me smile each day.

We do a lot more than that, but here are the subjects you listed.

Math: MUS, Horizons and about to add in Moving with Math

Phonics: Alphabet Island and Sonlight readers

Handwriting: We did HWT pre k, but we are going to try Handwriting Help for Kids K as soon as it comes in.

Art: Watch Me Draw

For the other stuff we do:

Sonlight K Read Alouds

Living Learning Books Science

Zeezok Publishing Composer Series

Rod and Staff - Finding the Answers

History: Little Hearts For His Glory

When DD#1 was in K we did FIAR. For grammar we used FLL (she had completed 100EZ). For math we used a Singapore PM-1 / Miquon combo (she had completed the EB series). For penmanship we used GDI but have since switched to RFH.

DD#2 will be K age in the fall. We probably will not use FIAR - although I love it for that age I am not sure that we'll take the time to schedule that seperately. She will use the Singapore PM-1 / Miquon combo and continue in RFH. She is already done with 100EL but I have decided to skip FLL this time around in favor of R&S 2 which we'll start in 1st. Everything else will be listening in on big sister's lessons and lots of read alouds by me!

No one in Kinder at this time, but this is the plan based on what worked and what we enjoyed with the last one in K.

Math

RS A

Phonics/Reading Prac.

LeapFrog, Phonics Pathways , whatever readers she is interested in

Handwriting

Copywork made with Startwrite using whatever font is working

Art

the art lesson from the FIAR story of the week.

Math

We're using Saxon Math 1, just the first half. So, 4 days a week, we do one side of a worksheet (A, then B, then A, then B). I'm saving the second half for 1st grade, and we'll do it the same way. We also play a lot of games (Go Fish is dd's current fave)

Phonics/Reading Prac.

Oak Meadow, combined with Letter of the Week and the ETC primers. With Oak Meadow, I read her a fairytale every week to intro a letter. She then draws a picture of the upper and lower case letters in her Main Lesson Book. We also pick a couple of reinforcement books from Letter of the Week, and she does a couple of pages every week in the ETC primers. She plays on Starfall.com a lot too, and sometimes I'll give her a printout from that site.

Handwriting

Handwriting Without Tears, Letters & Numbers for me

Art

We do a lot of craft projects in our world culture studies. Art appreciation revolves around art from each country we "visit". I use KinderArt sometimes for ideas too.

Math: Singapore Early Bird B (after finishing Calvert K) and will move on to Singapore 1A when finished.

Phonics/Reading Prac.: Using LLATL Blue, Bob Books, Calvert's Come Read with Me (fun), and ETC book 2 as well as the online version.

Handwriting: Pentime I

Art: Co-op Art Class, Draw Write Now I (can go in the handwriting section too)

What are you enjoying? We are also doing Singapore Child's Play Science. We are really enjoying all of it! We love our curriculum this year and it is working very well for us both. :)

Edited by Tree House Academy

Math--Singapore Earlybird 2a & 2b, A Beka Numbers Skills K, Power Math K

Science--God's World K (A Beka), and Child's Play Science

Handwriting--Manuscript Handwriting (A Beka), and journaling weekly; also A Beka Numbers Writing Tablet

Languages--Sign Language

History--My America (A Beka first grade history), Pledge of Allegiance, patriotic songs, Community Helpers

Reading/Phonics--A Beka program, also use a variety of supplemental readers

Health/Safety/Manners 1 (A Beka)

* I am answering using my experience from last year and my plans for next year, I currently don't have a K Student, just FYI*

Math: Horizons K

Phonics/Reading Prac.: Bob books, CLP phonics readers K, Starfall. Also ETC 1 and maybe 2

Handwriting: HWT Letter & Numbers for Me

Art: I have a bunch of different books I use for ideas for drawing, painting and crafts. One I have liked is Usborne's Big Book of Playtime Activities.

What are you enjoying? Reading together. There are so many great kids read-alouds for this age. Winnie-the-Pooh is definitely a favourite and The Hen who Wouldn't Give Up, Amelia Bedelia, Richard Scarry stuff...

Math

Phonics/Reading Prac.

Handwriting

Art

What are you enjoying?

In the past, we did ETC, lots of readers (BOB books, to Dr.Seuss, to Frog and Toad), HWT, and Galloping the Globe. I don't do math beyond games in K usually. My dd did Miquon and Horizons K because she was asking repeatedly to do it, but I didn't schedule it. We also did lots of read alouds with GtG and whatever books we were interested in.

My youngest will be K next year and will do some simple copywork for handwriting since he already forms his letters well, and ETC for phonics practice. I plan to read him living math books and play math games. He tags along for history and read alouds with his siblings, but I'll add in FIAR books and maybe do SL Core K at half pace since I already own it and he has the attention span. He'll also tag along for NOEO science. Art will be Maryann Kohl's books Preschool Art and Storybook Art. We may do some literature pockets too because he absolutely loves doing history pockets with his siblings. Just whatever looks fun that he's interested in- the only must in my mind is lots of read alouds.

Each of my dc has had a slightly different K program.

DD1:

math - Miquon Orange

phonics - finally settled on Happy Phonics toward the end of her K year

handwriting - Italic A

FIAR/Sonlight Core K combo (that covered social studies, art, science, read-alouds, various LA topics, and some applied math)

DD2

math - RightStart A

phonics - Happy Phonics

handwriting - Italic A

FIAR (for social studies, extra LA topics, art, applied math, and science)

DS1

math - RightStart, then switched to Time4Learning

phonics - Happy Phonics, then switched to Time4Learning

handwriting - Italic A

FIAR

next year, for my twin dd and ds

math - Time4Learning

phonics - Time4Learning

handwriting - Italic A

FIAR (for extra LA topics, art, applied math, science, and light social studies)

Biblioplan (with older siblings)

Blessings,

Laura

Math: Rightstart A

Reading: Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading / Teaching SWR Phonograms / Occasional Bob Books

Writing: Cursive First

Read Aloud: Various books chosen at the beginning of the year

Sci: Apologia Botany - I do this will all 3 kids 8,5,4

Art: once a month art class

Bible Time and Hymns: we have daily family bible time and they learn a hymn every two months, along with selected memory verses for the year

Chores and lots of play time.

So far so good. I just think it is amazing to watch kids learn to read.

DS-K

Math-K/1st Math workbook, Spectrum Math, abacus, living math books, games

Phonics-Hooked on Phonics K/1st grade kit, Leapfrog dvd, Bob books, starfall, Houghton Mifflin 1st grade books

Handwriting-Donna Young Free online sheets

Literature Books, Bible and Poetry Memory, Devotions, Legos, free-play, piano lessons 1xw.

Math: Singapore Early bird 2 A & B as our core, I add in montessori manipulatives, number games, living math reading selections, and find extra help pages on the internet. We could blow through the curriculum a lot faster, but I am trying to linger on the concepts and really develop mathematical thinking.

Phonics: Hooked on Phonics Kinder, BOB books, Explode the code books 1 & 1 1/2 I plan to move this to the computer program after we finish with these.

Handwriting: HWT and various pages I print from the net as well as lots of fine motor skills (modelling with clay & bees wax and detailed crafts) and gross motor strength building (gymnastics & monkey bars monkey bars and more monkey bars!)

Art is incorporated to content areas that we are working on as well as opportunites for spontaneous art

we spend a lot of time reading from: Aesops fables, Winnie the Pooh, Beatrix Potter, The blue fairy book, just so stories, burgess bird book, and longer fiction chapter books that sometimes correlate to science or social studies.

We've done work with maps and how to use them as well as a fairly extensive unit on dinosaurs (till I got all dinoed out). After xmass we will be delving into Biomes and cultres around the world.

I had been trying to piece together a spanish sampler program but I found muzzy for a steal so we are watching those videos right now.

I also try to leave a lot of time for free play and let all the information they are absorbing bubble up to the top.

My favorite times are the reading. Sometimes we have tea together & I read, sometimes we snuggle, sometimes the littles build legos annd I read form the couch, it is by far my favorite time of the day.

I haven't posted on my blog recently but I have some detailed info about how we pend our days there: http://www.TheSwirlingJ.blogspot.com

My K'er does:

Poetry - we read new poems together and she works on memorizing one poem at a time to recite at our recitation time on Fridays. She's doing great with this.

Bible - I read from Beginner's Bible, she narrates and does a page for her Bible book with copywork and drawing.

Writing - copywork from Bible and history. She writes own stories and letters sometimes. She joins in family freewrites on Fridays (ooh, look at that alliteration...)

Phonics - working through the Learn to Read, Write and Spell series. Currently book 3.

Maths - Mammoth Math, currently subtraction. Speed revision sheets on Fridays.

Art/Craft - drawing related to Bible and history readings. Craft activities related to phonics program.

History - Story of Australia. We read one section a week and then she makes a history page with copywork and drawing.

Reading - I read to her, she reads to me. She narrates some readings. I'm reading Charlotte's Web and Animal Friends to her. She's just read The Fire Cat to me.

Piano and Violin.

Computer

Swimming

Lots of Play

It looks like a lot but it's really only small amounts of each thing, and not everything is done every day. But she has progressed so much this year that I'm really impressed.

Linda

We're doing a loose K4 right now. I don't really plan anything. We just work while the other two are sleeping when we feel like it.

Math: I use the ideas from Right Start A as I feel dd is ready for them. We also have lots of fun math manipulatives, read living math books, and just talk about math in our every day life. She is doing really well with this. I plan to continue this series and add Singapore at some point.

Spelling: She is more interested in spelling than reading so we just started AAS 1. DD loves this. She also tries to spell words on her own. I plan to continue this series and expect her to be in level 2 by K5.

Phonics/Reading:I love the pre-reading/pre-writing activities in Montessori Read and Write. We still occasionally do something from this book but she has progressed beyond the activities that I want to use from the book. I think I"ll try OPGTR again. DD liked having me write out the words to read and then she would spell them with a movable alphabet. We also played matching and other games using the words. I also just got ETC 1 & 2 to try but we haven't started them yet.

Handwriting:I'm teaching dd cursive using tracing pages from online. I'm also using sandpaper letters, a sand box to trace in, and a small chalk board.

Readiness activities: DD is enjoying the early Kumon books (tracing, cutting, sticker/pasting) and tracing pages from online. I have and will probably try the Developing the Early Learner series soon. She loves these books and does them most days. I limit the amount she would do in a day otherwise she would finish them very quickly.

Art: She likes to draw and does other fun projects as well. She especially likes to paint and use Model Magic. She basically does whatever I take out for her to use.

Religion: We do faith-based activities as they come up during the year, such as celebrating saints' days and other holy days. We also read a children's Bible.

Other things I will probably start next year during K5:

WWE whenever she is comfortable with handwriting. She'll also start FLL when I have time and feel like she is ready.

We'll use BFSU for science. We'll probably start whenever we are settled after a move early next year.

A few other things I am considering are a country/culture study and FIAR. Not sure if we'll have the time or interest for either of these but they are on the list as possibilities.

Well I put Kindy on hold until after xmas to give him time to mature but this is what we were doing and will continue with

Bible: Leading little ones to God

Math: MUS Primer, lots of manips with activity pages, games

Writing: HWOT preschool level (he has minor fine motor delays), to be followed by the K level

Phonics: Jolly Phonic and ETC we go back and forth in these given his mood. Once done those we will do MCP Phonics K and use MCP phonics right through elementary

Reading: Right no I am no doing much more than the phonics until he learns all the letters which he has struggled with. Once he knows his letters we are going to try OPGTTR but I have 100EZ here if that doesn't work.

Art We are using Artistic Pursuits Book 1 K-3 with all 3kids, as well as season crafts and some free exploration on materials.

PE: swimming lessons in the fall.winter, gymnastic in the winter, soccer in the spring. As well we have full sized gym mats in the basment and a gymnastics balance beam in the basement to set up in the winter to keep them busy/active.

Music: he listens along with the olders, I am about to start piano lessons at home with him using little mozarts, and I have a large box of percussion instruments that he freely explores with(and has since infancy)

What are we enjoying? Right now he is loving the various sensory/hands on activities I have been putting out for him. It gives him some freedom in how he does things while still building the skills.

Edited by swellmomma

Dd5 is finishing Calvert K and we'll start in on LLATL Blue for LA in January. For math we're doing Scott Foresmann Exploring Mathematics 1 along with Horizons K when dd wants "easy math". We've used HWOT, but next year I'm thinking of switching to Italic for both hsers.

We love FIAR and we're also doing some history and an outside science class this year.

Math

Saxon 1

Phonics

We use OPGTR, with ETC & Bob books for variety.

Handwriting

A Reason for Handwriting

Art

We do a craft that either has to do with our Bible study (A Child's Story Bible by Catherine Vos) or that is seasonal. My daughter also had an Art and Artists class at co-op this semester that dealt with Monet, Van Gogh, and Picasso and composers (Mozart, Bach, & Handel).

Read-alouds in school are based on upcoming holidays or an area of special interest. We read a chapter book before bed.

Math

Phonics/Reading Prac.

Handwriting

Art

What are you enjoying?

My plan for my youngest is the About Three Series followed by Rod and Staff Complete Preschool and then right into Rod and Staff Grade 1 when ready. That would cover: math, phonics/reading, and handwriting. For art, my kids are constantly using their free time to do artsy/crafty stuff. :D

Math

Phonics/Reading Prac.

Handwriting

Art

What are you enjoying?

Math -- Hands-On Standards (with manipulatives); Horizons K; flash cards with manipulatives (she "builds it" with snap cubes, frog counters, Cuisenaire rods, dried beans)

Phonics Instruction & Practice -- The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading; Bob books; library books; LOTS of read aloud; LOTS of audiobooks

Handwriting -- plain and simple, Mommy teaches how to "make an a..."; also Kumon Tracing, Kumon Easy Mazes, Kumon Cutting

Art/Music -- coloring, painting, drawing, crafts, cooking, music enjoyment (Wee Sing)

We are enjoying ALL OF IT! :001_smile: