Menu

Is this sarcasm?

DawnM

I just listed something for sale on the FB Marketplace site.  I have had a lot of interest in an ottoman I listed.  It is a very good price, at $50 for an ottoman that was $180 three years ago.  Most people think that is fair when I have talked to them.

One woman texted and asked if I would take $30.  She hasn't even seen it in person.  I responded that it has been listed for only an hour and that I would like to hold firm on the price for now.

Her response was, "Good luck"

Is she being sarcastic?  

I just always envision a roll of the eye, "Good luck with that one" when people say good luck.  Maybe I am just cynical. 

maybe, and maybe not.  I would just eyeroll at her.   some people just lowball everything.

I recall the time some mom brought in her 10?12? yo kid to look at the 4/4 violin I had for sale.  she had the kid play several different things.  then she made some "comments" about how she thought it was overpriced, and not good enough for her precious.  I wasn't dropping the price for a german violin.

then I had a college student music major violist - who needed a violin.  he played maybe three or four measures and promptly paid what I asked.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, scholastica said:

I would interpret that as sarcasm. But I would probably respond with "Thanks! I appreciate it!" as if the intent had not gotten across.

Yep me too.  

We sold dss18's 1994 Honda with in 3 hours for the asking price.  I had like 10 people texting me.  One guy asked me to take $200 less without even coming to see it in person.  People will just ask for anything.  I just no, not when it has only been listed for an hour.  

• Like 1

some people over price things with the expectation of dropping the price. (I can think of two things where we were fully prepared to pay the price they were asking in their ads - and consider it a deal.  we'd ask how much they wanted - and they both dropped the price.  done.)  

some people over price things because they have pie in the sky ideas about what their item is worth. 

others shop for things above their budget - and make lowball offers because that's what they can afford.  

other's make lowball offers because they think it's a game to see how low they can get an item.

eta: I've also dealt with one ploy where someone only brings as much cash as they want to spend (not how much I asked).  deliberately, so they can use it as a ploy to lowball.   I've gotten impatient with those ploys - don't waste my time.  for somethings - (especially cars) I've had to say "bring cash".  when selling my mom's car, the guy didn't bring it, wanted to bring his son back that afternoon.  no.  I have a list of 20+ people who responded to the ad.  pay now, or I move on.   hey - so I underpriced it.  mechanically it was good - but probably every single panel had dents and side molding was missing.  even though it was a volvo.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I wouldn’t assume sarcasm. Maybe she was indeed wishing you good luck at selling it. When I’ve sold stuff and someone does that to me, I’ll usually respond “thanks” and I’ll let you know if it doesn’t sell. 

• Like 1

I have had 3 no shows, 4 ask me to hold it, three low ball offers, and three people ask me what the dimensions are (it is in the listing!), and 3 others ask me where I am located (also in the listing.)

I think people want to say me, me, me  but don't really want to follow through.

ETA:  And now I have a guy offering his services to recover the ottoman in a fabric I might light better.  hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I could picture myself saying that and not being sarcastic. I wouldn’t be sarcastic in that kind of situation but I might say “Good luck!” as a friendly sign off to end the conversation. I do find myself saying “good luck” when declining to do business with someone whether it be someone fundraising or trying to sell me something or whatever. It’s “I’m not interested but I wish you well.”

But I am totally socially awkward so there you go.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I have had 3 no shows, 4 ask me to hold it, three low ball offers, and three people ask me what the dimensions are (it is in the listing!), and 3 others ask me where I am located (also in the listing.)

ETA:  And now I have a guy offering his services to recover the ottoman in a fabric I might light better.  hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

In my relatively well to do neighborhood I posted a few things for free to first person to ask.  I had five things, three people were prompt and told me when they would come pick up the free item and did come, but the other two said "ME!" ,then I asked when they could come and I got nothing.  It's like, come on it's free and you literally live a street or two away. It's been two weeks but I've just been too lazy to repost.  

• Thanks 1

I do not enjoy buying and selling things online, even though I do do it.  People take a long time to respond and it can be tiring arranging a convenient meeting place and time.

One local group has very specific meeting locations (towns, not actual locations), but admin doesn’t monitor all the out of the area postings that only want to meet a half hour away.  

I recently agreed to buy some books from my local homeschool Facebook page and I thought I knew the lady so I was surprised she was asking me where I lived.  Turns out her last name is one letter off of my friend’s name.  Hopefully we’ll be able to coordinate a meet-up.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DawnM said:

This is why I have a bunch of stuff I plan, at one moment, to sell, but don’t get around to listing. 

I used to do a lot of Freecycle and Buy Nothing, but I got jaded about it because of no-shows and people who made me end up doing gymnastics just to give them something for free! It was mind-boggling! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Quill said:

This is why I have a bunch of stuff I plan, at one moment, to sell, but don’t get around to listing. 

I used to do a lot of Freecycle and Buy Nothing, but I got jaded about it because of no-shows and people who made me end up doing gymnastics just to give them something for free! It was mind-boggling! 

Yeah, I don't get it.  But I have wanted some things out of my house, they don't work in the new house and no reason to keep them.  

I was able to take up a trailer load of stuff to a friend 1.5 hours north of me, I was happy to do it, he just moved back to the US from Kenya and had nothing.  I was thrilled to see that my stuff I liked would be put to good use and appreciated.

• Like 1

Maybe.   We sell a lot of things online and we block people offer lower than our asking without asking questions.  They are usually not serious buyers.  The people who are serious may ask a few questions but set a day and time to see the item and it's sold.  Price things right and it will sell.

Edited by lynn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lynn said:

Maybe.   We sell a lot of things online and we block people offer lower than our asking without asking questions.  They are usually not serious buyers.  The people who are serious may ask a few questions but set a day and time to see the item and it's sold.  Price things right and it will sell.

serious buyers also give phone numbers.  one way to know it's real too, if they have to attach a phone number...

• Like 1