Menu

Nice way to say I'm not interested?

Soror

"I'm sorry.  I rarely give out my phone number."

If you want to soften the blow, tell her to contact you through mail, email, facebook, etc.  That's just going to lead to more solicitation though, so it really is better to have the difficult conversation once and get it over with.  It's better to just get over the compulsion to be nice to someone who is cultivating a relationship with you just to use you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Is it possible there was any OTHER reason she wanted your number? Maybe she wanted a playdate or liked the brownies you bought or something? If it was only to market her MLM junk, yeah that's pretty rude. I like SKL's reply on asking why she wants it and turning her flat down. Definitely would not give her anything further to harass you, mercy. This isn't like a business where they have unsubscribe. Then it's you personally telling her to bug off your emails or you being annoyed that you had to set a filter to delete them and wondering if you missed anything important from her. 

• Like 1

How did she ask?  If by email or text or another "passive" (for  lack of a better word), you can just ignore it.  But I also wonder if you are sure that's why she asked.  I mean, most likely it is, but if there is some way you are connected, maybe it's related to that?  

I'm bad at this too, so I would probably ignore if I could.  But most of the MLMers I know are pretty upfront about it and make it easy to say no. I guess I know the nicest MLMers!  (And very few.)   Failing that, I guess I would say that I don't give out my phone number, don't actually use my phone as a phone, and ask why she needs to get in touch with me.

19 minutes ago, SKL said:

"Why do you ask?"

Nobody ever asks for my # without a clear reason why.

If she says "because I want to sell you MLM" then you can say, "nah, MLM is not for me, but thanks for thinking of me!"

I like this.  I understand the difficulty in saying no (I have an inborn need to be polite!), but a business person should be prepared for rejection.  (It's not personal.  It's business.)  If she is insistent, become a broken record.  It's good practice for you and will save you loads of time in the long run.

I'd ask why she wanted my number. If she answered it was for a MLM call, I'd tell her I wasn't interested. Period. That isn't rude, it is an unsolicited call. If she says just because she wants to talk to you, tell her you are busy, so you need to know what she wants to talk about. If she says it is because she wants to get together/thank you for something/whatever, I'd give her my phone number. If she calls and says "ANYTHING" about her MLM, I would say I am not interested, period. That is imposing on you, and a polite No, thank you - that is all that is needed, IMO. Any more pushes from her? Block her number. 

2 hours ago, Selkie said:

"No thanks, I'm not interested."

You don't owe her any explanation. She's the one imposing herself on you.

I agree!  And if she is insistent or if you think she may have another (nicer!) reason for wanting to call you, there’s nothing wrong with coming right out and politely asking her, “Is this about XYZ Company?”  

I say to ask politely because if you sound receptive, she’s more likely to tell you the truth if her intention is trying to sell you something, and then you can tell her you’re not interested right there on the spot. 

Please remember that you aren’t being rude by telling her you’re not interested in hearing her sales pitch, and if she is pushy about it after you say no thanks, remember that no matter how much she smiles and acts friendly, SHE is the one who is being rude and obnoxious, so you have every right to say, “I have already told you I’m not interested, so please don’t bring this up again.” 

And I would absolutely not give her your email address, either!

Edited by Catwoman

If this is someone you're getting to know socially -- like at church or a homeschooling group, then I'd give her a chance and give it to her.  Then, if she calls just once about the MLM, I'd tell her very clearly that you're really not interested in it, at all.  If she called again about it, I'd block her number.

If it's someone you don't know at all except in passing and you both know it's about the MLM, I think you can be honest and just say up front that if it's about "MLM name," thank you but no thank you.

• Like 3

I like Katy’s idea.  

Or say something direct to tell her you don’t want to be involved with MLM, but perhaps leaving an open possibility it it isn’t about that. 

“If this is about MLM company, I’m not interested in that, or is it about ______ (church, homeschooling, whatever you have in common) ? “

• Like 2

Well, I could be wrong but the phrasing sure made it sound like a sales pitch, "I only need a minute of your time." So, in case I am wrong I went with a simple I prefer email (email address) and left it at that. I do hope they were being friendly but just in case, I don't want solicitation calls. Now, let's see what happens next!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, soror said:

Well, I could be wrong but the phrasing sure made it sound like a sales pitch, "I only need a minute of your time." So, in case I am wrong I went with a simple I prefer email (email address) and left it at that. I do hope they were being friendly but just in case, I don't want solicitation calls. Now, let's see what happens next!

Based on that, my first thought was yours.  

• Like 1

I have found that the rip-off-the-bandaid approach works best for me when it’s a friend. With a virtual stranger, I would worry even less about sparing feelings. I have said to friends, “Sorry. I’m not interested in ————.” 

• Like 2

It seems like half the people I know are involved in a MLM of some type.  99% I am not interested.  Recently I've started telling people that we do not support any MLM as we know so many people involved in XYZ that it wouldn't be fair to single someone out for special consideration. 

3 hours ago, Skippy said:

I tried the "I'm not interested" direct approach (very kindly stated) with an MLMer (my sister-in-law) once, and she actually started crying. 

I had a friend, who sold Pampered Chef, fume at me for buying a garlic press at BB&B. She said, “why would you buy it from that store when you could have bought one from me?” I said, “You weren’t at BB&B when I was buying a garlic press?” 🤔 

• Haha 4