Menu

Hedgehogs? Anyone?

fairfarmhand

DD's best friend has a hedgehog. We've watched it a few times while the family was out of town. This particular one is mean and hissy. It's also pretty boring (sleeps all day, runs in his wheel and knocks his water bottle over all night). Also, DD's room smelled of hedgehog (stink + wood shavings) for over a week after it went back home. 

Idk how important early socialization is vs. individual temperament; this hedgie was a rescue.  (So maybe just this one is mean and antisocial.)

The cage set up was pretty contained (also portable) and care was fairly easy. I think they require special veterinarians. 

Edited by alisoncooks

We got a hedgehog about nine years ago. She died a few years ago at a ripe old age (for a hedgehog, anyway 🙂).

Hedgies require a large cage with lots of room to roam.

They need a heat lamp with a thermostat , hedgie-safe bedding, and an igloo or tunnel that they can sleep in during the day.

An exercise wheel is a must and it has to be a hedgie wheel, not a rodent wheel.

They are nocturnal and run on their wheel all night and make all kinds of of noise while you are trying to sleep.

They poo a lot and yes, it smells bad. The cage needs to be cleaned every day.

They poo while they are running on their wheel and it gets very, very messy. You have to scrub the wheel with hot, soapy water every day, which is a gross job. 

Sometimes their feet get covered in poo and you have to give them a bath.

Ours ate dry cat food (has to be a certain kind), veggie and fruit scraps, and live mealworms that we ordered from Amazon.

We got our hedgie as a baby and she was socialized at an early age, but she only ever tolerated us at best. Hedgies are not affectionate pets, for the most part. 

And oh yeah - make sure there is a vet in your area that treats hedgehogs, because those can be hard to find.

• Like 4

First, going to be honest and say I adore hedgehogs but ........I would really think about this because I would think if it was easy I would know lots of people in England with hedgehogs as pets.  I know someone who has taken injured ones to the vet but no one with a hedgehog for a pet and catching one would not be hard because we sometimes save them from themselves,  they fall off curbs and get trapped in roads and need to get scooped up in shopping bags to be emptied in a safe spot......I love hedgehogs and honestly can’t imagine one as a pet beyond making one really comfortable in my garden.   I am a former parrot owner so am willing to do exotics but cannot imagine I would get much sleep with one in the house. They wander around their area all night.  They make nests under things like leaves and eat the rabbit’s food, dig a bit in the garden......

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, perkybunch said:

Hedgehogs can carry salmonella.  That's all I got.  Oh, and random point of trivia with animals... you can get leprosy from armadillos.

I was just going to post about the salmonella. I only learned about it recently when it popped up on a news website. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Also, I'm just saying, the rabbits have EXCELLENT names that they aren't attached to, so feel free to change them to anything you want. They are too dumb to know their names.

We have Peanut, and the incomparable Valentina Ballerina Belle. Seriously. You couldn't fit a name like that on a hedgehog. And they are TOTALLY salmonella free. They're Rexes from Texas and are like petting clouds I've been told. I mean who wants a prickly, one-eyed , salmonella carrying pirate?!?! Just think about it, that's all I'm saying.  😉 

She keeps trying. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Selkie said:

We got a hedgehog about nine years ago. She died a few years ago at a ripe old age (for a hedgehog, anyway 🙂).

Hedgies require a large cage with lots of room to roam.

They need a heat lamp with a thermostat , hedgie-safe bedding, and an igloo or tunnel that they can sleep in during the day.

An exercise wheel is a must and it has to be a hedgie wheel, not a rodent wheel.

They are nocturnal and run on their wheel all night and make all kinds of of noise while you are trying to sleep.

They poo a lot and yes, it smells bad. The cage needs to be cleaned every day.

They poo while they are running on their wheel and it gets very, very messy. You have to scrub the wheel with hot, soapy water every day, which is a gross job. 

Sometimes their feet get covered in poo and you have to give them a bath.

Ours ate dry cat food (has to be a certain kind), veggie and fruit scraps, and live mealworms that we ordered from Amazon.

We got our hedgie as a baby and she was socialized at an early age, but she only ever tolerated us at best. Hedgies are not affectionate pets, for the most part. 

And oh yeah - make sure there is a vet in your area that treats hedgehogs, because those can be hard to find.

Gosh, hedgehogs sound so charming and cuddly.

No. No, they don’t.

I blame Jan Brett and her adorable Hedgie the Hedgehog for making me love hedgehogs. But now I don’t want one. EVER.

I will continue to adore their cute little faces from afar, but that’s as far as it will go

• Like 7

I had one. They do not make great pets. They prickle and gave me a rash every time I touched them. They like to cover themselves in saliva. But worst of all, they poop while running on their wheel. So...they get their poop all ground into the wheel and into their feet. EVERY NIGHT. 

Every morning you have to scrub dried poop off the wheel. it's gross. And you can't use a wire one, for their safety you are supposed to use a solid surface wheel. Never again. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

I’m thinking a kitten might be better. I adore cats. And we have had cats for years. And they don’t poop on their feet.

Cats are 100 percent better. I have had both. No comparison. Cats will snuggle, they will play, and they don't poop on their feet or eat worms. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Would she consider a different small and exotic pet? I have sugar gliders, and they are way cuter and more fun than my friend's hedgehog or my other friend's bearded dragon. They live a lot longer as well, usually 10-12 years versus 4-6 years for hedgehogs. 

They are also nocturnal wheel-poopers, but ours are always up in the evening and morning (they tend to adjust to the household schedule to some extent, and mine are generally pretty happy to see me at any time of day provided I have a treat in hand). Their wheel isn't solid so much easier to clean. It is really recommended to have two of them, they are high energy and keep each other entertained. They are tiny and travel easily, we take ours back and forth to our camp pretty often. 

moji stocking.JPG

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, TrulySusan said:

I don't know anything about hedgehogs. I know about allowing 17 y/o to get a pet. The 17 y/o goes away to college and then YOU have a pet.

Signed, the lady who has to feed snakes and other reptiles because I didn't say no.

Which for a cat wouldn’t bother me. But washing poopy hedgehog feet? No thanks.

1 hour ago, TrulySusan said:

I don't know anything about hedgehogs. I know about allowing 17 y/o to get a pet. The 17 y/o goes away to college and then YOU have a pet.

Signed, the lady who has to feed snakes and other reptiles because I didn't say no.

This is what I was thinking too. With a 17 yo, you’d need to make sure whatever pet comes into the house at this point is one *you* are willing to have as a pet, because it could very likely be all yours in a few years!😊

• Like 3

9 hours ago, katilac said:

Would she consider a different small and exotic pet? I have sugar gliders, and they are way cuter and more fun than my friend's hedgehog or my other friend's bearded dragon. They live a lot longer as well, usually 10-12 years versus 4-6 years for hedgehogs. 

They are also nocturnal wheel-poopers, but ours are always up in the evening and morning (they tend to adjust to the household schedule to some extent, and mine are generally pretty happy to see me at any time of day provided I have a treat in hand). Their wheel isn't solid so much easier to clean. It is really recommended to have two of them, they are high energy and keep each other entertained. They are tiny and travel easily, we take ours back and forth to our camp pretty often. 

moji stocking.JPG

That is some serious cuteness right there!!!!!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TrulySusan said:

my dd wants to know what hedgehog poop is like. Is it squishy like cat poop or hard pellets like mouse poop?

19 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

my dd wants to know what hedgehog poop is like. Is it squishy like cat poop or hard pellets like mouse poop?

It is squishy.  When they poop on their wheel, it gets smeared all over and then dries and has to be scrubbed off. 

I've had hedgehogs my whole life. They are NOT for everyone. In fact, I think they are not for most people. 

Hedgehogs require socialization with their owners from a vey early age. Hedgehogs don't change behavior past 22 months (or around), so whatever habits and behaviors they have will be set by then. 

Hedgehogs anoint themselves which means they basically cover their bodies in foamy saliva. 

They can get mites and fleas. They require Revolution treatments like cats and dogs. 

They can bond with one person and reject all others. 

They can be finicky with nutritional needs.

A lot of the hedgehog people online are misinformed and, unfortunately, have created a culture around hedgehogs that is really damaging. 

They are not pets in the way other animals can be. 

• Like 2

I think a kitten is a great idea 🙂 

I begged my mom for a hamster once, and she finally gave in. Turns out hamsters are cute, but really boring. They don't like people (at least mine didn't). The wheel squeaked all night. The cage was stinky, and I didn't want to clean it. If I were you, I'd tell my daughter she could have a hedgehog when she gets her own place in a few years, if she still wants one 🙂 

• Like 2

Yeah, this doesn't sound like a great life for hedgehogs, tbh.  Spend all night stuck in a cage, running off your energy on a wheel that goes nowhere, pooping all over your feet?  Sorry, but I'd trade possible predation, uncertain food supply, possibility of disease, and a lot more in order to have the natural hedgehog freedom of running around over grass and under bushes, pooping on the ground (not my feet!) and finding a hedgehog wife and smelling the fresh air and looking at the stars.

Some animals just aren't meant to be domesticated.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TrulySusan said:

THIS!!! I ended up with a lap horse aka English Mastiff for this reason.  Never again.

I second/third everything Sekle and Fawnmoscato said. They are cute to look at but don't generally make good pets. They are one of those pets that people think they will like and that they won't really mind the clean up and care they require. They seem to think, they are small sized and small means 'small work' but nope, from everything I have read they are short on cuddly traits  and big on care and their poop is gross to deal with.