Menu

What else do I need?

DawnM

Ok, I am looking around and seeing things that just need to look nicer.

• New shower curtain upstairs
  • New dog bowls
  • Hampers with lids so no one sees our dirty clothes

This is all to make the house look nicer when we start showing our house.  They are little things I hadn't even really thought about until I sat down and tried to look at the house as a buyer.

I am not asking about the major things.....cleanliness, windows, kitchen sparkling, etc.....I am wondering what other little things I am missing.  And no, I am not going to put things in the oven to make it smell like I am baking apple pie.....most likely I will be at work when the house is shown anyway.  I am just trying to ask about things I may not be considering or haven't though of yet.

We went to look at a house recently and the owners had speakers throughout the house......they blared country music.  I couldn't even THINK, much less have a conversation with the realtor over that awful music.  I had such a headache when I left.  I would have much preferred soft elevator music or no music.  UGH.

Edited by DawnM

Our realtor made a little coffee area in our kitchen and it really made that part of the kitchen look nicer.  It was a place where I normally would have kids’ school info spread out, and then it was just a flat surface I guess.  The realtor made it look really nice.  

We had two artificial plants, and the realtor said to take them down.  We threw one away and one I have back on top of my China cabinet here.  

That was our realtor feedback after I had done everything I knew to do.  

• Like 2

New towels in the bathrooms (on the towel bars) that are not to be used under penalty of death.  Ditto any new bath mats (it is a PITB but I put my "look but don't touch" ones out as soon as everyone has showered).  I get skeeved out when I look at houses and see used towels.  

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Lecka said:

Our realtor made a little coffee area in our kitchen and it really made that part of the kitchen look nicer.  It was a place where I normally would have kids’ school info spread out, and then it was just a flat surface I guess.  The realtor made it look really nice.  

We had two artificial plants, and the realtor said to take them down.  We threw one away and one I have back on top of my China cabinet here.  

That was our realtor feedback after I had done everything I knew to do.  

oh, I wonder if our realtor will say the same thing.  My organizer friend is coming to deep clean and she also stages things....I will ask her too.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pink and Green Mom said:

New towels in the bathrooms (on the towel bars) that are not to be used under penalty of death.  Ditto any new bath mats (it is a PITB but I put my "look but don't touch" ones out as soon as everyone has showered.  I get skeeved out when I look at houses and see used towels.  

Ah, good idea.  Didn't think of that.  So, what do you do with your towels you are actually using?  Wash them daily?  Put them in the hamper daily?  We are literally down to one to two towels per person and I have packed the rest.  We have to shower daily still.

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Ah, good idea.  Didn't think of that.  So, what do you do with your towels you are actually using?  Wash them daily?  Put them in the hamper daily?  We are literally down to one to two towels per person and I have packed the rest.  We have to shower daily still.

I wash them daily (again, major PITB but I didn't want anyone seeing or worse smelling wet towels when they come through the house).   

My only other tip - everyone uses the same bathroom while the house is on the market.  I have us all use the least nice bathroom (or at least one with a shower curtain instead of a glass surround) because it is just easier to keep clean.  My kids don't share a bathroom and hate sharing a bathroom (very different levels of neatness) and I don't like sharing a bathroom with either of them but when the house is on the market we just do it.

• Like 1

I wouldn't get new dog bowls to look nice. Instead I'd put the bowls away during showings. In the past when we've sold houses I never tried to completely hide the fact that we had pets, but I did try to make it as unnoticeable as possible. So I put dog bowls, beds, toys away. That also worked with the notion of keeping the house as clutter free as possible.

I kept fresh towels for each bathroom that were just for showings. Towels we were using either got washed daily or put away somewhere unnoticeable during showings (like keep a small covered tote in a closet for them or something like that).

I've never gone anywhere near the lengths that some on here do to prep a house for showings. But the above things--along with emptying trash cans, making sure bathrooms and kitchens were spotless, counters were clear of clutter, beds very neatly made--were standard.

• Like 8

Houses here sell as soon as they go on the market, if not before. No one is looking at dog bowls or towels, for sure. Of course, if you want new dog bowls for your new house staging makes a great excuse, but I can't imagine they would factor into a buyer's perception of your home.

I do agree on keeping clutter down, though, and minimizing the appearance of pets. In that regard, I would ensure the house smells fresh (NOT scented, just not like wet dog or kitty litter), keeping in mind people have varying tolerances for smells they are not accustomed to.

• Like 1

I agree with towels. But our stager didn't want us to put out bath mats at all; she wanted the bathroom floor to be bare. So ask your stager about that. And we also would only use one bath and kept the rest pristine.

Maybe a new welcome mat or rug by the front door. Living plants are better than artificial ones, though some decorative artificial plants look nice.

Things I learned from our stager that may or may not apply to you:

Take down all pictures of your family.

Keep most flat surfaces (counters, dressers) clear. It can be nice to stage some areas, as Lecka mentioned, with a carefully selected piece of decor or a simple place setting (white bowl on top of white plate, for example)  in front of the stools on an island.

Consider whether a few new throw pillows (or even a throw tossed over the arm of the couch) will make your couch look cozy and inviting.

Same with the beds -- are the comforters worn or look out of date? Are the pillows neatly arranged, or do you need a new throw pillow or two to complete the look?

if you have any open shelving, you may want to put the things stored there in baskets (ex: I had open shelves above my washer and dryer

Remember that people will open your oven and refrigerator and peek into your kitchen cabinets. They may also look under the cabinets under the bathroom sinks. So keep those areas very neat and organized.

I found it helpful to have an empty dresser drawer in each bedroom that I could toss random items into at the last minute. I also would gather random items into a laundry basket and take it with me in the car. Consider what you will do with items that usually accumulate around the house -- mail, shoes, jackets, etc.

I agree with not having the dog bowls sitting out.

If you have plants in the house, make sure they look fresh and don't have dead leaves on them. If you have artificial plants, consider whether they still look nice or could be replaced with a living plant.

If your weather is nice, put a colorful planter by your front door. If you have a decoration on your front door, consider whether it still looks pretty and welcoming.

*** I live in an area where staging is expected and the house must look perfect. I aim for a hotel look -- very clean, nicely decorated, but impersonal. **

ETA: Also, we were not supposed to keep any toiletries out in the bathroom, even in the shower. So I put our shampoo, etc., in a caddy and would stash it under the sink or in a closet.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

We just folded the used ones and put them under the sink during the showing. After, we switched the new with the used again.

• Like 1

Some things for staging:

• Nothing on top of upper cabinets/bookcases. Keep that area completely clear.
  • No family gallery wall. Put out generic artwork.
  • Any weird areas that you've never needed to use or you've used for a unusual purpose? If so, get some things to stage it for its normal use. IE: used a dining room as a school room or a nook in a room. Stage it as an office or coffee bar or reading nook. Show the buyer what they could do with it. One of the weirder houses we went through had changed every room - the living room was behind the kitchen, the dining room was the first room when you walked into (like the foyer). Master bedroom was the family room off of the kitchen. 
  • Keep a basket or bag that you can throw random items in and then take with you. In it keep the towels & stuff you need to put out before you leave for work/a showing, and switch out the contents for stuff out of place. 
  • Like 3

I think just getting rid of off-putting smells is really important. What smells clean and fresh to you may smell like covered-up dog to someone else. Or a family I knew who couldn't sell their house in a fast-paced market. I'm pretty sure it had to do with their bathrooms, which smelled their four little boys had aiming problems.

I know you don't want to bake, but I still remember how my current house had a cake in an attractive cloche cake stand sitting on the counter. So homey! And I thought I was above falling for tricks like that...

Closets that aren't over-full. First, I want to see what those babies can hold. Second, it's weird to walk into a mostly-bare room, then open the closet and wonder if you have to dodge an avalanche.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

We would fold and put them under the sink when not in use.  I’d only put up the show towels while running out the door for a showing, not leave them hanging the whole time, unless your sons can resist using them.

Only one son at home, older two at college, and he is the neatest of the bunch, and highly motivated to move, so I think he will comply.

What do you do when you fold them up and put them in the closet or cabinet wet?  How do they dry?

6 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

They won’t dry, which is why I’d generally leave them hanging unless we are actively leaving.  If you’re showering in the morning and leaving with daytime showings I’d probably toss them all in the dryer with a nice dryer sheet to get out the moisture and make the laundry room smell fresh.  Two birds, one stone.

But folding would only work dry or I’d worry about mildew around here!

It  just isn't that easy.  We all shower and leave at different times.  ARGH!  If it is the weekend, that is one thing, but on any given workday, we are all over the map time wise.

I'm not a Realtor or a stager! That said, I once read that buyers end up seeing many homes on the days they're looking. And -- over the course of a search --  might see dozens of homes.

The article suggested that it's a great idea to do something to your home that will make it stand out in exhausted peoples' minds days or weeks later.

Something like:

• A beautiful ficus tree covered in white lights.
  • Two hammocks -- instead of one -- with beautiful pillows hanging in the backyard.
  • Little heart shaped cakes in the kitchen in February. Or a beautiful glass vase full of Godiva chocolates with a note saying Eat me!! 🙂 Cookies are too expected at this point -- my dh would never forget this home. Ever. He'd be talking about the chocolate house for decades.
  • A giant inflatable duck floating in the pool -- or the upstairs bubble bath. (Realtors would freak at this idea, I'm sure.)

The idea is that one person would say, "I loved the kitchen in that house we saw after lunch." The other would say, "I don't remember. Which kitchen??" The first would say, "You know, the house with the duck in the tub."

😂😅😅

Alley

Edited by Alicia64
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I love the ideas shared already, and I thought of a few more.

Your dryer is your friend.  Have everyone hang their towels in the laundry room, instead of in the bathroom.  Then, if there's gonna be a showing, have the last person to leave put them in the dryer (and run it, of course).  A dryer sheet would smell nice, but would make the towels less absorbent, so I'd probably skip that step.  Anyway, it'll be a bit of a pain to have to retrieve your towel every time you want to shower, but not insurmountable.  

Pretend your home is going to be featured in Better Homes and Gardens magazine.  Look at each room from the entrance, with the perspective of a photographer, and get rid of anything you wouldn't see in a decorating magazine.  TV remotes.  Knick-knacks.  Family photos. Loose paper on your desk. Homework/backpacks. Crafts/projects. Off-season clothing from closets.  Excess stuffed animals and toys.  Just box everything up (remember, you're moving anyway.  Think of it as getting a head start  For stuff you need to use, laundry baskets are your friend. You could have one in each closet.  Everyday, (or every showing), swoop around with the baskets and toss in everything that isn't part of your staged setting.  When you come home, pull out the things you need, then put them back when you're done.

Create a lot of negative space to make your house look bigger than it is. Get rid of 1/3 of your furniture (or store it somewhere). Re-distribute the rest to create happy little sitting areas or nooks or essential areas that look inviting.   

• Like 1

Adding onto Suzanne’s idea to put the towels in the dryer, you could have everyone put their dirty clothes in the washer every morning (not to wash right then, just to store) and put dishes straight in the dishwasher.  That I would run every day on the way out even if not full as people will want to look in it and it would be fine to see clean dishes, but not so much dirty ones.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I wouldn't get new dog bowls to look nice. Instead I'd put the bowls away during showings. In the past when we've sold houses I never tried to completely hide the fact that we had pets, but I did try to make it as unnoticeable as possible. So I put dog bowls, beds, toys away. That also worked with the notion of keeping the house as clutter free as possible.

I kept fresh towels for each bathroom that were just for showings. Towels we were using either got washed daily or put away somewhere unnoticeable during showings (like keep a small covered tote in a closet for them or something like that).

I've never gone anywhere near the lengths that some on here do to prep a house for showings. But the above things--along with emptying trash cans, making sure bathrooms and kitchens were spotless, counters were clear of clutter, beds very neatly made--were standard.

I think I am going to have some trouble with this since many of the showings will happen when I am at work and DH might be working from home and need to take the dog.  He simply wont' do all that you are mentioning.  I can if it is a weekend showing, but relying on DH, nope!  I would feel better to at least have a fresh/new dog bowl anyway, and the bed will most likely NOT get put away.  It just won't.  We have a dog.....the bed isn't gross.....

7 hours ago, MEmama said:

Houses here sell as soon as they go on the market, if not before. No one is looking at dog bowls or towels, for sure. Of course, if you want new dog bowls for your new house staging makes a great excuse, but I can't imagine they would factor into a buyer's perception of your home.

I do agree on keeping clutter down, though, and minimizing the appearance of pets. In that regard, I would ensure the house smells fresh (NOT scented, just not like wet dog or kitty litter), keeping in mind people have varying tolerances for smells they are not accustomed to.

It isn't like that here.  I wish it were.  It was when we lived in CA, but not in NC.  Houses that are well priced do sell well, but they do need to look nice too, esp. if you want top $$.

And have you read on this very board what people look for in a home?  "I found a little dog hair in the corner! No way I am buying that filthy house!"  I have been quite shocked actually.  I am not OCD, but thankfully, my friend who will clean my house is!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Storygirl said:

I agree with towels. But our stager didn't want us to put out bath mats at all; she wanted the bathroom floor to be bare. So ask your stager about that. And we also would only use one bath and kept the rest pristine.

Maybe a new welcome mat or rug by the front door. Living plants are better than artificial ones, though some decorative artificial plants look nice.

Things I learned from our stager that may or may not apply to you:

Take down all pictures of your family.

Keep most flat surfaces (counters, dressers) clear. It can be nice to stage some areas, as Lecka mentioned, with a carefully selected piece of decor or a simple place setting (white bowl on top of white plate, for example)  in front of the stools on an island.

Consider whether a few new throw pillows (or even a throw tossed over the arm of the couch) will make your couch look cozy and inviting.

Same with the beds -- are the comforters worn or look out of date? Are the pillows neatly arranged, or do you need a new throw pillow or two to complete the look?

if you have any open shelving, you may want to put the things stored there in baskets (ex: I had open shelves above my washer and dryer

Remember that people will open your oven and refrigerator and peek into your kitchen cabinets. They may also look under the cabinets under the bathroom sinks. So keep those areas very neat and organized.

I found it helpful to have an empty dresser drawer in each bedroom that I could toss random items into at the last minute. I also would gather random items into a laundry basket and take it with me in the car. Consider what you will do with items that usually accumulate around the house -- mail, shoes, jackets, etc.

I agree with not having the dog bowls sitting out.

If you have plants in the house, make sure they look fresh and don't have dead leaves on them. If you have artificial plants, consider whether they still look nice or could be replaced with a living plant.

If your weather is nice, put a colorful planter by your front door. If you have a decoration on your front door, consider whether it still looks pretty and welcoming.

*** I live in an area where staging is expected and the house must look perfect. I aim for a hotel look -- very clean, nicely decorated, but impersonal. **

ETA: Also, we were not supposed to keep any toiletries out in the bathroom, even in the shower. So I put our shampoo, etc., in a caddy and would stash it under the sink or in a closet.

Yikes!~  I may or may not remember to put away shampoo, etc...

Two beds have comforters that may look a little out of date, but unless the realtor or stager tells me to change them, I will leave them for now.  I really don't want to have to replace them as well.

Nothing on the front door.  In fact, we just put in a new front door.  We had a solid one I hated.  Our living room is a little dark because the porch covers the windows and some light, so we got a full glass door and it has really helped brighten it up.

I have to put a couple of things on my dressers to hide the cup rings!  🤣

7 hours ago, MEmama said:

It isn't like that here.  I wish it were.  It was when we lived in CA, but not in NC.  Houses that are well priced do sell well, but they do need to look nice too, esp. if you want top $$.

And have you read on this very board what people look for in a home?  "I found a little dog hair in the corner! No way I am buying that filthy house!"  I have been quite shocked actually.  I am not OCD, but thankfully, my friend who will clean my house is!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

I love the ideas shared already, and I thought of a few more.

Your dryer is your friend.  Have everyone hang their towels in the laundry room, instead of in the bathroom.  Then, if there's gonna be a showing, have the last person to leave put them in the dryer (and run it, of course).  A dryer sheet would smell nice, but would make the towels less absorbent, so I'd probably skip that step.  Anyway, it'll be a bit of a pain to have to retrieve your towel every time you want to shower, but not insurmountable.  

I live with boys/men.....if they remember to do any of this, I will be shocked.

Pretend your home is going to be featured in Better Homes and Gardens magazine.  Look at each room from the entrance, with the perspective of a photographer, and get rid of anything you wouldn't see in a decorating magazine.  TV remotes.  Knick-knacks.  Family photos. Loose paper on your desk. Homework/backpacks. Crafts/projects. Off-season clothing from closets.  Excess stuffed animals and toys.  Just box everything up (remember, you're moving anyway.  Think of it as getting a head start  For stuff you need to use, laundry baskets are your friend. You could have one in each closet.  Everyday, (or every showing), swoop around with the baskets and toss in everything that isn't part of your staged setting.  When you come home, pull out the things you need, then put them back when you're done.

I am letting the realtor and stager dictate what to leave out, etc....most of our stuff is already in storage.  All closests are next to empty, photos away, no crafts out at all, nope, all already gone.

Create a lot of negative space to make your house look bigger than it is. Get rid of 1/3 of your furniture (or store it somewhere). Re-distribute the rest to create happy little sitting areas or nooks or essential areas that look inviting.   

We don't have that much furniture anyway, we have gotten rid of a lot through the years.  I mean like, our living room has a sofa, love seat, and a chair, and it is a big room.  The dining room has a dining table.  That is it.  Our bedrooms have a bed, nightstand, and the boys have a desk.  That's it.  Office and basement I will let them tell me.  DH works from homesome, so we can't put all that away.  It is what it is.  He is an accountant, this is not the time of year to put everything up....it is ALL essential!  But this is the time of year to sell.  So, we will just deal with it as best we can. 

15 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I live with boys/men.....if they remember to do any of this, I will be shocked.

I am letting the realtor and stager dictate what to leave out, etc....most of our stuff is already in storage.  All closests are next to empty, photos away, no crafts out at all, nope, all already gone.

We don't have that much furniture anyway, we have gotten rid of a lot through the years.  I mean like, our living room has a sofa, love seat, and a chair, and it is a big room.  The dining room has a dining table.  That is it.  Our bedrooms have a bed, nightstand, and the boys have a desk.  That's it.  Office and basement I will let them tell me.  DH works from homesome, so we can't put all that away.  It is what it is.  He is an accountant, this is not the time of year to put everything up....it is ALL essential!  But this is the time of year to sell.  So, we will just deal with it as best we can. 

I didn't realize you'd done so much clearing out already.  I was just thinking of what I needed to do all the times we sold (we were in the military for 21 years, so there were lots of moves). If your worst problem is towels and dog bowls, you are in great shape!

• Like 1

Don't forget about lighting.  Even during the day with enough natural light coming in, a house looks better if there are multiple sources of soft light, to banish dark corners and make things look cheery.  Small lights all over look better than a single overhead source.  

• Like 1

In addition to everyone else's comments - if you haven't already, open the windows and wipe out the inside and outside sills so anyone checking to see how well the windows glide doesn't discover anything unpleasant.

I knew someone who threw all their dirty laundry into a laundry basket to go into the back of the car every time they had a showing.  Hampers can smell musty.

• Like 1

If you have a formal dining room, especially with a big table, set it, beautifully.  Just a big expanse of wood is off putting, I have heard, but a gorgeous set of placemats and cloth napkins and china and utensils with a china tureen or flower arrangement in the middle starts people picturing themselves having folks over and fun times at the holidays.

Definately have refreshments out.  Upscale chocolates or, say, Pepperidge Farm assorted cookies would be good.  

If there is a bonus room in the attic or a nice big pantry behind an innocuous door or anything like that, be sure to have a discreet sign encouraging folks to look beyond the door.

Clear all paper.  No mail, no magazines, nothing.  I think if you have a trunk or maybe one of those ottomans with the big storage space inside that would be a great place for stash and dash.  It’s a pain to do this every time you leave the house, but it is necessary.

• Like 1

We've worked with a few stagers in the last few years.

The commonalities between the three: 

1. A fresh or fake plant in each bathroom near the sink (I think to help draw eyes there) + white luxury towels that are used only for showings.  (We throw the daily towels into the washing machine each morning....last one to shower turns it on.)

2. If we have multiple dining tables (our last two houses did), one is permanently styled as if for a nice meal---glasses including wine glasses, napkins, floral arrangement, etc.  This has been very much for the buyers' demographic we've been targeting. 

3. fresh throw pillows on the couches

4. layers on the bed to give a cozy appearance in the master bedroom

5. fresh flowers at some key point in the house in the first 30 seconds of viewing.  

Really, it's going to be the online photos that will be used for a screening to see if someone wants a showing. Beyond that, if someone is at the doorstep, you want to capture them in that first 30-60 seconds.

As far as *me* surviving having a house on the market---clorox toilet wands and disinfecting wipes are stored in each bathroom for a quick swish and go, I keep an empty laundry basket to toss stuff into that I don't have time to put away for last minute showings (and I take that with me), and I plan on a lot of very easy meals---usually out or something I can cook on parchment paper or in the instant pot so I don't create a lot of dirty dishes. I don't want to stink up the kitchen or make a mess. 

I do request in the showing notes that I need an hour's notice. I have four kids--I couldn't handle "can I just drop by, I am in the area".....

• Like 1

I am actually "Team don't provide food". I have horror stories from showings at my TX home. If I were to do anything (like for an open house), I would provide small bottles of water only (and understand that people are likely to use my bathroom).

We had people leave all kinds of wrappers and trash and do bad things to our bathrooms during showings.  My realtor really had a conniption fit because other realtors would not make sure that their clients were respectful of others' property. It was a regional issue; we didn't have that problem with previous homes we sold. 

My only exception to that rule would be if your local realty association hosted lunches for realtors for properties coming onto the market.  There is a weekly meeting held in some locations where realtors will collectively tour new homes to see if their clients would be interested---I'd allow food for a hosted lunch for that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

If you have a formal dining room, especially with a big table, set it, beautifully.  Just a big expanse of wood is off putting, I have heard, but a gorgeous set of placemats and cloth napkins and china and utensils with a china tureen or flower arrangement in the middle starts people picturing themselves having folks over and fun times at the holidays.

Definately have refreshments out.  Upscale chocolates or, say, Pepperidge Farm assorted cookies would be good.  

If there is a bonus room in the attic or a nice big pantry behind an innocuous door or anything like that, be sure to have a discreet sign encouraging folks to look beyond the door.

Clear all paper.  No mail, no magazines, nothing.  I think if you have a trunk or maybe one of those ottomans with the big storage space inside that would be a great place for stash and dash.  It’s a pain to do this every time you leave the house, but it is necessary.

I don't even own any china!  So, that won't happen.  Not even sure what a tureen is, is that that big thing that holds soup?   And I won't put new flowers out every week.   I won't remember and I am allergic.

As to the bolded.....if I am here.....or if DH can or remembers.  We will see.

Create a list of things to do/check before a showing and go over it with dh and ds. Write it down or put it on their phones. Put it in order of priority so they get the most important things done first, so if they run out of time, they have covered the essentials.  When a showing is scheduled, you’ll already know what needs to be done and so will the men who live in your house. No excuses for forgetting.   Our house is on the market and I’m not willing to be The One responsible for getting or ready for a showing. Both dh and ds have done a terrific job based on the list I created. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Create a list of things to do/check before a showing and go over it with dh and ds. Write it down or put it on their phones. Put it in order of priority so they get the most important things done first, so if they run out of time, they have covered the essentials.  When a showing is scheduled, you’ll already know what needs to be done and so will the men who live in your house. No excuses for forgetting.   Our house is on the market and I’m not willing to be The One responsible for getting or ready for a showing. Both dh and ds have done a terrific job based on the list I created. 

Maybe. But some things on this list I won't even be doing.....I am trying to think through what to ask the realtor about before I make myself crazy with 20 things that just HAVE to be done before each and every showing.  If I start getting comments or if the realtor thinks it is important, we will do it.  I will ask the realtor about everything on this list and see what she says.

It is obvious from people's opinions here that markets vary and what is imp to one person isn't to another, so I want to think through everything, and figure out what needs to be done for our market.  

And some things on this list I realize I need to do (and haven't) and others I am not sure are necessary.  

• Like 1

Well, my list is basic. Remove cat stuff, put the new towels in the master bath, take out the trash, turn on all the lights (realtor turns them off as they see rooms so she knows they’ve seen everything), turn the heat up (we keep it at 63 and that’s chilly for showing), make sure there are no dirty dishes or things out of place in living room or bedrooms, put toilet bowl cleaner in toilets, brush, and flush, and toss any papers on dh’s desk into the top drawer.   It’s super easy to forget things when you have a showing with little warning. 

• Like 1

Take clutter off the walls. Some houses have too many things on the walls and it can change the perception of the dimensions. Also, lots of clutter on visible shelves are usually a turn off. Perhaps a nice looking candle here or there - unlit since some people have issues with scents. Clean lines seem to sell best.

• Like 1

Basically, look at a model home and declutter to that point.  The biggest thing I had as a homeschooler were bookshelves full of books.  Take about 75% of them off and box them up.  I had books on shelves that were the same height and used a nicer hardcover book as decoration like a library would.  Also, if you have a room that's a "color", consider painting it a neutral.  I had a sage green master bedroom that I liked, but the stager said that she didn't want someone walking away because one room wasn't to their liking (silly - yes).  I think our current home didn't sell right away in a hot market because the color in every single room was dark.  Same color dark, but about the third level on a paint strip.  People probably saw it and thought - that's expensive to paint the whole house.  Meh- I did it myself.  It took me three months, but in a market with a lot of choice, you don't want to be the house that was passed by because of a paint color.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Annie G said:

Well, my list is basic. Remove cat stuff, put the new towels in the master bath, take out the trash, turn on all the lights (realtor turns them off as they see rooms so she knows they’ve seen everything), turn the heat up (we keep it at 63 and that’s chilly for showing), make sure there are no dirty dishes or things out of place in living room or bedrooms, put toilet bowl cleaner in toilets, brush, and flush, and toss any papers on dh’s desk into the top drawer.   It’s super easy to forget things when you have a showing with little warning. 

Thankfully no cats, but we do have a dog.  The rest, yeah, need to.

1 hour ago, Liz CA said:

Take clutter off the walls. Some houses have too many things on the walls and it can change the perception of the dimensions. Also, lots of clutter on visible shelves are usually a turn off. Perhaps a nice looking candle here or there - unlit since some people have issues with scents. Clean lines seem to sell best.

Our walls are almost stripped completely.  I agree.

31 minutes ago, bethben said:

Basically, look at a model home and declutter to that point.  The biggest thing I had as a homeschooler were bookshelves full of books.  Take about 75% of them off and box them up.  I had books on shelves that were the same height and used a nicer hardcover book as decoration like a library would.  Also, if you have a room that's a "color", consider painting it a neutral.  I had a sage green master bedroom that I liked, but the stager said that she didn't want someone walking away because one room wasn't to their liking (silly - yes).  I think our current home didn't sell right away in a hot market because the color in every single room was dark.  Same color dark, but about the third level on a paint strip.  People probably saw it and thought - that's expensive to paint the whole house.  Meh- I did it myself.  It took me three months, but in a market with a lot of choice, you don't want to be the house that was passed by because of a paint color.  

I have like 5 books left! I have packed the rest.  All rooms are neutral, thankfully.  

Some of our model homes only have like 3 rooms with furniture, the rest is bare.....and they have no clothing.....which I kind of need.....or you kind of want me to have!  HAHAHA!  🤣

Fresh flowers! You can get pretty cheap flowers from the grocery store that still look nice for the kitchen or dining room. Tulips always look fresh and inviting.

Do you have a gas fireplace? If so, I’d turn it on low when you know people are coming. A fire makes everything more cozy. 

The cake in a cloche is genius. I’ll have to steal that one. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Epicurean said:

Fresh flowers! You can get pretty cheap flowers from the grocery store that still look nice for the kitchen or dining room. Tulips always look fresh and inviting.

Allergies.  That won't work, maybe a plant, but not flowers.

Do you have a gas fireplace? If so, I’d turn it on low when you know people are coming. A fire makes everything more cozy. 

No, I don't.  I have two wood burning fireplaces.  One in the living room and one in the master bedroom.

The cake in a cloche is genius. I’ll have to steal that one. 

I don't even know what a cloche is.....is it that glass thing you put a cake in?  Like in a diner?

4 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

If you have nice and not too fatty towels don’t buy new.  Otherwise just grab new hand towels for the bathrooms and maybe one for the master and one for the main kid bath.  I’d ignore the rest, tbh.  Don’t go overboard!

replace the shower curtains with plain white fabric ones if you can.  A two pack on amazon of the hotel style is cheap and it makes any bathroom look cleaner right away.

I was looking at the white waffle shower curtains yesterday.  They aren't the style I would like but they are good for staging.  And the hand towels only is a good idea.  

One toilet upstairs is beyond repair.  Dh is getting a new one tonight and installing it tomorrow.  It will not be used at all, so it will stay nice. 

16 hours ago, DawnM said:

Me too! I've never lived in an area that requires set dining room tables and little to no furniture. I want to look at a house that is clean and uncluttered, but lived in.

When we bought our current home, it was very uncluttered BUT the basement was full to the gills with boxes and stuff. I thought it was profoundly stupid. I'd rather see a house how it's actually used, but I have no problem reimagining a space. 

Of course, I would immediately walk out of a house if it looked overly staged (China tureens? Chocolates and cakes?). I would be totally turned off and wondering what they were hiding. #regionaldifferences

Sorry you have to go through that, OP. I've been through crazy stressful moves, but never had to deal with what people are describing. :(

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

And I most like looking at an empty house (moved out) or lived in but bare-ish and not staged, so I can accurately see the bones and features and flow without anything obscuring or covering up possible defects.

I have it on good authority I am weird, though, so this could be part of that.

I’m with you on that. We just bought a fixer upper and because it wasn’t being lived in, we saw things that we wouldn’t have noticed if it had been staged. But I’m also weird- we preferred to buy a house that needed work. 

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

Me too! I've never lived in an area that requires set dining room tables and little to no furniture. I want to look at a house that is clean and uncluttered, but lived in.

When we bought our current home, it was very uncluttered BUT the basement was full to the gills with boxes and stuff. I thought it was profoundly stupid. I'd rather see a house how it's actually used, but I have no problem reimagining a space. 

Of course, I would immediately walk out of a house if it looked overly staged (China tureens? Chocolates and cakes?). I would be totally turned off and wondering what they were hiding. #regionaldifferences

Sorry you have to go through that, OP. I've been through crazy stressful moves, but never had to deal with what people are describing. 😞

And I have to go by what I have been looking at so far.  The house we liked last Thur?  The one that sold on Fri?  It was in a pristine neighborhood, the cheapest house because it needed some work, and it was not spotless at all.  And yet, it sold because of the neighborhood and, fixed up, would be worth a lot.

Another home also needs just some cosmetic work, and there are some dated features (flooring in the basement for example) but it is in a fantastic location.

My house, thankfully, is one of the least expensive houses in a very upscale area, so that will help.  Unfortunately, it also has a funky layout and is on 2.5 acres, which many don't want, and has no neighborhood pool/clubhouse/HOA.  Some love that, but many don't.  This board has mostly homeschoolers who WANT more land, no HOA, not a lot of kids running around, etc....but the general population isn't as much like that.