Menu

Frozen quilt and pillow Updated: She loved it!

stephanier.1765

Update: She let out a gasp as she pulled it out of the packaging. My heart grew three sizes today.

I'm posting this not because I'm proud of the quilt but because I am proud of how much I learned. There are so many mistakes but I learned from each one so now I will feel more confident making future quilts. I even got past my fear of machine quilting. Does it look like a seven year old did it? Sure, but it's a present for a seven year old so that's okay.

The little girl is my newly adopted grand niece and she is Frozen crazy. So even though I have other gifts for her, I still wanted something to show how much she already means to us. Something she can wrap around herself and know we care.

FrozenQuilt.jpg

Frozen pillow.JPG

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Beautiful!  And here I was planning on offering advice on how to warm up your frozen quilt and pillow. . . .

Same here! This is a stunningly beautiful piece of work. And I thought this thread was about someone leaving quilt and pillow on the line overnight and now they are frozen...:)

• Like 4

It's fantastic!  What a sweet gift!

I want to encourage you to change the first paragraph of your post.  Be proud of your work!  Be excited about giving such a thoughtful gift!

Be encouraging to others thinking of starting to quilt.  When we downplay ourselves and our work others get caught in the judgement.  "Oh gosh, the quilt I just made isn't near as good as this one.  I guess I was wrong to feel proud of myself."

I really do hope you change it!  Be proud! Be pleased you accomplished machine quilting!  Forget the mistakes!

*steps off soap box and waddles away*

• Like 2

Beautiful work! In no way does that look “like a seven year old made it”!

Every project is a learning experience, but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t good work. You should be proud of it!

Edited by emba56
  • Like 3

Thanks all! I'm okay with it not being perfect or even close because I really did learn a lot. It was sort of like taking a class. I watched various videos. I made small practice quilts to try before working on the gift one. And I read a lot of tutorials. It was fun. It was frustrating. It was worth every second.

Oh to clarify the seven year old part, I was referring to the machine quilting part. It doesn't show in the pictures. The stitches aren't the same length, there are points where there should be curves, and there is no consistency. But our newest family member won't care a bit, so it's all good. I love how you can see how much I improved along the way.

I would definitely encourage anyone to start quilting. Like any new skill, there are growing pains but the satisfaction of a job done is real. And because of this quilt, I'm excited about starting a new one. First though, I'll have to clean my wreck of a sewing room.😁

• Like 2

Thank you all! Making a gift for people can sometimes be tricky. Much of the time, they don't understand the time that went into creating it, they just prefer store bought items, or they just don't like it and I'm okay with that. I'm pretty easy going and people like what they like. It just happens that I enjoy making things for people. I enjoy the time I spend thinking about them as I make their gift and it's that feeling where I find joy in the giving. If they happen to like it as much as I liked giving it, well that's just bonus points. Yesterday was filled with bonus points. It was wonderful to have a small child at Christmas again. It's been far too long.

• Like 1