Menu

Tampons for women who hate them (TMI, no doubt); update and thanks ;)

MercyA

I loathe tampons. Yes, I know I've been married for 20+ years and birthed a child. Doesn't matter. I still hate them. 

Which tampons would you recommend for me when they are absolutely necessary? I have endometriosis, so sometimes heavy flow + large clots (sorry, TMI).

I am stubbornly unwilling to consider applicator-less tampons or menstrual cups, so please don't recommend those. 😉

Help a sister out. 😊

UPDATE: Thank you all for helping me enjoy the beach and snorkel in relative comfort. 😉I tried the U by Kotex Click tampons recommended by Katie. I was very happy with them and would use them again if necessary. I imagine they'd be a good starter tampon for tweens/teens, too. I haven't yet developed the knack of choosing the right absorbency :blush:, but they still get a thumbs up. Love you guys.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

Kotex Super Plus seem to work the best for me. It's the combination of applicator style and absorbancy. Sometimes they last me a couple of hours, sometimes more. Other brands/sizes seem to only last for about an hour. I think it can be a personal thing though - what works for one person's body isn't going to work for everyone. Get some small boxes of a few different brands to try out & plan to donate what you don't like to friends or possibly a food bank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

U by Kotex. They are shorter than other brands, so they don't shove up against my cervix painfully. My cervix is low/weird so most tampons don't fit right. These do. And work fine. https://www.ubykotex.com/en-us/products/tampons/click-regular-tampon (I also refuse to use cups or tampons without applicators)

Thank you! I have an inverted uterus, and I wonder if that's one of the reasons why tampons have never been comfortable for me. 

1 minute ago, MercyA said:

Thank you! I have an inverted uterus, and I wonder if that's one of the reasons why tampons have never been comfortable for me. 

Probably! Mine is folded in a c-shape, so similar issue. Your cervix, and mine, face a slightly different direction than normal, so they protrude into the vagina and that makes cups pretty much impossible and tampons can be quite uncomfortable. They the ones I linked and see if they fit better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TechWife said:

Kotex Super Plus seem to work the best for me. It's the combination of applicator style and absorbancy. Sometimes they last me a couple of hours, sometimes more. Other brands/sizes seem to only last for about an hour. I think it can be a personal thing though - what works for one person's body isn't going to work for everyone. Get some small boxes of a few different brands to try out & plan to donate what you don't like to friends or possibly a food bank.

I second this brand.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Is your issue with applicator-less tampons and cups a squick issue?

Probably mostly, yes. I have severe OCD, so the thought of using them in public places squicks me out for sure. 

I've tried applicator-less tampons before. I have no desire to ever try a cup. 

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

Huh.  Would using a nitrile glove make those or a tampon with no applicator less objectionable?  I admit I can’t figure out how using one feminine product in public is gross and another isn’t, especially since you’re more likely to make contact with a toilet removing or inserting a tampon instead of a cup (ask me how I know 😵), but with your list of issues it really is probably the most comfortable and secure option.

A glove is actually an excellent idea and one that didn't occur to me. Thanks! I'm not so much concerned with germs on the toilet--it's the idea of germs on my hands that bugs me. 

You've all been so helpful. 

8 hours ago, Slache said:

Get period panties. I don't care what else you use, but you need those.

I used cloth pads for a couple years and still have a stash. I'm not super familiar with these "period panties" of which you speak, but I'll check them out. 😉

I second OB - with a glove if you feel you need it - I mean, you do what you need to make it work. I'm not bothered by other brands per se, but I find the shape of the OB is way more comfortable. And, honestly, putting it in place yourself can help you position it better than the applicator. That brand Katie mentioned above U - they're okayish as well.

As for the period panties - look at Thinx to get a sense of them, though there are other brands, some of which are way cheaper. There have been a number of threads here. I don't think they'd handle your whole flow if you're heavy, but they are surprisingly effective and very good for light days or overflow days, plus they're more environmentally friendly than disposable pads and more comfortable, IMHO.

• Like 1

I can't stand applicator-less tampons or cups either.

What specifically about tampons do you dislike?

I prefer cotton tampons with a cardboard applicator.  No chemicals that aren't absolutely necessary.

The idea of a shorter tampon is intriguing.  Unfortunately the last few years, when I've had periods, they have been so heavy that small / short tampons probably wouldn't cut it.

Period panties also sound interesting for uncertain times, but I could not imagine purposely bleeding into my underwear without other protection - let alone washing it out afterwards.

19 minutes ago, SKL said:

What specifically about tampons do you dislike?

I find them physically uncomfortable, like I can't get them to sit in the right place. I know you're not supposed to feel them once they're in, but I often do. 

Also, I don't like the idea of inserting them when I'm out and about (see posts above).

I always found them super super uncomfortable and haven't used one in many years.  Of course I haven't had many periods in the last decade, either, but I digress.

I thought it might be the bleached cotton (are they made of cotton?) that was irritating, not sure.  disposable pads give me rashes too.  Only cloth pads are comfortable, and of course they leak everywhere and shift around and are generally annoying.

I am also quite prolapsed, so putting anything inside is just not happening anymore.  nope.

I think they do make reusable tampons, like cloth pads, but I am not sure how well they work.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

U by Kotex. They are shorter than other brands, so they don't shove up against my cervix painfully. My cervix is low/weird so most tampons don't fit right. These do. And work fine. https://www.ubykotex.com/en-us/products/tampons/click-regular-tampon (I also refuse to use cups or tampons without applicators)

Yep, these are the only ones I like too.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

Yep, these are the only ones I like too.

There is a recall https://www.ubykotex.com/en-us/recallfaq

“Kimberly-Clark announced a voluntary product recall of its U by Kotex® Sleek® Tampons, Regular Absorbency sold throughout the United States and Canada for a quality-related defect that could impact the performance of this product. The recall is limited to specific lots of U by Kotex® Sleek® Tampons, Regular Absorbency that were manufactured prior to October 16, 2018. Please check your lot number above. No other U by Kotex® products are affected by this recall.

How can I tell if my product is impacted by this recall?

Consumers can identify this product by looking for the specific lot numbers found on the bottom of the package. Scroll to the top of the FAQ’s for our lot number checker. Alternatively, please promptly contact Kimberly-Clark's Consumer Service team at 1-888-255-3499 regarding this recall.

Can you describe what the problem is with these tampons?

Kimberly-Clark has received reports from consumers of the U by Kotex® Sleek® Tampons, Regular Absorbency, unraveling and/or coming apart upon removal, and in some cases causing users to seek medical attention to remove tampon pieces left in the body. There also have been a small number of reports of infections, vaginal irritation, localized vaginal injury, and other symptoms.”

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

There is a recall https://www.ubykotex.com/en-us/recallfaq

“Kimberly-Clark announced a voluntary product recall of its U by Kotex® Sleek® Tampons, Regular Absorbency sold throughout the United States and Canada for a quality-related defect that could impact the performance of this product. The recall is limited to specific lots of U by Kotex® Sleek® Tampons, Regular Absorbency that were manufactured prior to October 16, 2018. Please check your lot number above. No other U by Kotex® products are affected by this recall.

How can I tell if my product is impacted by this recall?

Consumers can identify this product by looking for the specific lot numbers found on the bottom of the package. Scroll to the top of the FAQ’s for our lot number checker. Alternatively, please promptly contact Kimberly-Clark's Consumer Service team at 1-888-255-3499 regarding this recall.

Can you describe what the problem is with these tampons?

Kimberly-Clark has received reports from consumers of the U by Kotex® Sleek® Tampons, Regular Absorbency, unraveling and/or coming apart upon removal, and in some cases causing users to seek medical attention to remove tampon pieces left in the body. There also have been a small number of reports of infections, vaginal irritation, localized vaginal injury, and other symptoms.”

thank you! I have the compact ones, not the sleek, but good to know. 

11 hours ago, Lizzie in Ma said:

OB Super Plus or Ultra, something like that.  Only ones I can stand.  I know they have no applicator which is why I never chose them before, but they are truly fantastic.

Adding to the OB choir. I've used them since I was 12 and I'm now 51. If you can find something like them with an applicator, I'd suggest trying. Every other brand of tampons I've tried, which is most, leaks for me. I had heavy periods for many  years and the Ultra was the only thing that worked for those really super heavy shouldn't leave the house days. 

The only brand that has ever come close is the U Brand, which is part of the recall. 

They are shorter than most applicator tampons. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use cups on light-medium days.  Assuming you have heavy bleeding, and can overflow an overnight pad in less than an hour DO NOT USE THEM on heavy/flooding days, especially not if you need to leave the house.  There is a suction effect, they'll fill to overflowing in less than an hour, make a giant disgusting mess, and that's assuming you can even get them to open when your cervix is really low.

On light days they're awesome, you only have to deal with your period every 12 hours, it's almost like not having a period at all, and they shorten the length of your period because of the suction effect.  Also they're safe to boil, so they can really be sterile, and the risk of infection is far less than with tampons because bacteria doesn't grow on them the way it can in a wad of cotton. If you're going to try them try them on a light day though.  Don't try them on a heavy day or when your cervix is really low.  And start with something like a Diva cup that has really firm sides and is more likely to pop open.  There are tons of reviews and comparisons of different kinds on YouTube.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for answering that question 🙂

Unfortunately, the only tampons I've ever found usable at all are OB, so I think the combination of OB + gloves is worth trying if you can manage it. I did eventually switch to cups because tampons don't get enough blood and are really drying, but they do tend to be a little more, well, messy than tampons. (Though they can be rinsed in public bathrooms if you bring a water bottle with you!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also - you all can say what you want about leaving cups in 8 hours or more, on the first two days of my period I gotta empty that thing every hour on the hour AND ALSO wear an overnight sized cloth pad. Some of us have a really really heavy flow 🙂 It's better than other things I've tried, but it's still never gonna be great until I stop bleeding altogether.

• Like 2

I don't want to sound like a corporate shill or anything, but I saw an ad on facebook for a disposable disc and went to their website. The facebook ad was good, showing how a tampon, cup, and their product fit in the body. They also sell a cup that when you pull on the tail, the suction is broken.   https://flexfits.com/

There is also a product called Instead Softcup/Softdisc that has been around for a while and is available at regular stores. It's the same thing. 

Anyway, I thought based on the little video that people who find a cup uncomfortable might find this to be a better fit. It can also be used while having tea.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sarasue7272 said:

I don't want to sound like a corporate shill or anything, but I saw an ad on facebook for a disposable disc and went to their website. The facebook ad was good, showing how a tampon, cup, and their product fit in the body. They also sell a cup that when you pull on the tail, the suction is broken.   https://flexfits.com/

There is also a product called Instead Softcup/Softdisc that has been around for a while and is available at regular stores. It's the same thing. 

Anyway, I thought based on the little video that people who find a cup uncomfortable might find this to be a better fit. It can also be used while having tea.

I've tried soft cups and with a weirdly positioned uterus and cervix they are not even possible to use. I wanted them to work, but no. 

On 12/12/2018 at 8:24 PM, Arctic Mama said:

Oh see they’re all I can use on heavy days or I cannot move around at all.  A cup plus an overnight pad and then I’m overflowing every half hour or so but I have backup.  With just a pad I can’t move or twist without fear of flooding faster than it can absorb or over the sides or front.  

Much more mess control too, whereas with tampons I had the same flow issues but more pain, or likelihood it would end up at an awkward angle.  Heavy days with a low cervix I’ve found it just rests in the cup a bit and is a great fit, but it had to be the right cup for my particular physiology (a Lunette with no stem).  

Just goes to show we are all different I suppose. My periods are particularly horrible lately so I’m rather bitter 😭

No I am conflicted.  I have at least 1-2 days of heavy bleeding like you are talking about.  I feel like we need a heavy period thread to trade tips.  I feel like I need 3 layers of protection or something.  I am really annoyed because I bled through clothes out in public last month.  So tired of that.