Menu

Wow! Things have changed! And I have a question I can't get an answer to anywhere else...

Hikin' Mama

What is formal attire for a wedding? (Men and women.) We always wear nice clothes to weddings, but I have never attended one that specified what type of attire one is supposed to wear. We can look nice but are not exactly "formal" people.

Help a clueless former Hiver out please!

P.S. I have Googled, but I got all sorts of answers.

Edited by Hikin' Mama

11 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Men is a suit.  Generally for women it's a long dres.

Darn! We have neither. I did buy a new nice dress (not long, but I look nice in it and wore it to another wedding this summer and was dressier than many) and shoes and the hubs has nice slacks, shirt, and tie. Hmmm...

My niece recently had a formal wedding but it was at 5 p.m.  The request was long dresses for the ladies, tuxes for the guys.  Most wore long skirts or dresses, a few came in cocktail dress. The men in suit and tie if they didn't want to go  to expense of a tux.  Just like you I was searching all over the internet and found very little expect for formal generally means skirt below the knees.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I would wear a nice dress (not maxi length) to a 2 pm wedding. My guess is that they don’t want people showing up in jeans. 

I agree with this. I’m often surprised (and shocked) at how casual people dress these days! What you plan to wear sounds very nice. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hikin' Mama said:

What is formal attire for a wedding? (Men and women.) We always wear nice clothes to weddings, but I have never attended one that specified what type of attire one is supposed to wear. We can look nice but are not exactly "formal" people.

Help a clueless former Hiver out please!

P.S. I have Googled, but I got all sorts of answers.

For the record, it really isn't correct to give instructions to guests on what to wear, so there's that.

Formal: dark business suits for men, long dresses for women. 

But a wedding at 2 in the afternoon is not "formal;"  you would be safe if Mr. Hikin' Mama wears a suit of any kind, and you wear a dress of any kind (but not a long dress; those are worn at the most formal weddings, an evening church wedding).

• Like 5

I would definitely just wear your dress, and your dh his shirt & tie.

We got an invite to an outdoor afternoon summer wedding that said "Black Tie Optional".
This technically meant like "Downton Abbey" level of dress-up.

In reality, the Black Tie was VERY Optional! 
Most guys wore a button down shirt & nice pants (No tie)!

My rule of thumb is that a woman can wear Black Pants to just about any occasion!  ?

Edited by Beth S

Dress of any length, but not casual in style. Formal shouldn’t mean that the skirt must be long — unless these people are very very picky. Things like the fabric, the fit and the accessories are more important.

Jacket with tie at least, but a suit is a better fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I would wear a nice dress (not maxi length) to a 2 pm wedding. My guess is that they don’t want people showing up in jeans. 

I agree.  Our son's wedding invitation said formal.  It meant wear dressy clothes - men in suits, women dressed nicely (dresses or slacks), but not long dresses.  I wore a midi-length mother-of-the groom dress as did the MOB.  I think this becoming common because our culture is so dressed-down.  People often go to church in very casual clothing (jeans/t-shirt).  And, of course, a lot of people don't go to church anyway, so there may not be a gauge on what to wear to certain events.   There are weddings that are also less formal (weddings with a cowboy/bbq theme for instance).  I think this is a way to kindly convey a message that you should dress nicely for an event. 

I think if it had said "Evening Formal" then you should wear a long dress.

2 minutes ago, Beth S said:

I would definitely ask the bride/groom/family. 
We got an invite to an outdoor afternoon summer wedding that said "Black Tie Optional".
This technically meant like "Downton Abbey" level of dress-up.

In reality, the Black Tie was VERY Optional! 
Most guys wore a button down shirt & nice pants (No tie)!

My rule of thumb is that a woman can wear Black Pants to just about any occasion!  ?

I’ve seen it go the opposite direction, too. My niece was doing one of those oh-so-popular barn weddings (although it is a “Chip and Joanna” barn for events, not an honest-to-goodness barn that houses livestock). Her mother told my SIL it was, “pretty casual; like dressy casual.” Her dress was fine but my BIL was embarassed he did not wear a tie or jacket. The large majority of men were dressier than that and virtually everyone had a tie.

I tend to think a little over- is better than a little under-dressed. If in doubt I still dress “up” a bit, unless the bride literally told me it is in a cow pasture and the groomsmen are wearing jeans and cowboy boots, which was true for one wedding I attended. 

I never take my cues from others who tell me what they plan to wear, ever since that time I ended up having dinner in The Rainbow Room in NYC wearing jeans and hiking boots...

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Quill said:

I’ve seen it go the opposite direction, too. My niece was doing one of those oh-so-popular barn weddings (although it is a “Chip and Joanna” barn for events, not an honest-to-goodness barn that houses livestock). Her mother told my SIL it was, “pretty casual; like dressy casual.” Her dress was fine but my BIL was embarassed he did not wear a tie or jacket. The large majority of men were dressier than that and virtually everyone had a tie.

I tend to think a little over- is better than a little under-dressed. If in doubt I still dress “up” a bit, unless the bride literally told me it is in a cow pasture and the groomsmen are wearing jeans and cowboy boots, which was true for one wedding I attended. 

I never take my cues from others who tell me what they plan to wear, ever since that time I ended up having dinner in The Rainbow Room in NYC wearing jeans and hiking boots...

Oh, My. Yes.  The Cowboy Themed Wedding is a whole 'nother level of unpredictability!  ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hikin' Mama said:

Darn! We have neither. I did buy a new nice dress (not long, but I look nice in it and wore it to another wedding this summer and was dressier than many) and shoes and the hubs has nice slacks, shirt, and tie. Hmmm...

I think that would be fine myself.  Unless there was specification that it was black tie or something.

• Like 1

I attended nephew's wedding in September - mostly outdoor venue 3pm - in black slacks and an elegant, lacy cream-colored tunic top with black pumps. I also wore a hat because September here is still rather sunny though we were lucky that day and there was a nice breeze and lots of large trees providing shade. I felt neither over nor under dressed. This is CA though and I have often heard that East coast weddings are far more dressy.

• Like 1

I greatly appreciate all the replies! I have decided to stick with the dress I have, which is a solid color, has some bling around the neckline, and falls below my knee. It is not a casual dress. I will even be wearing heels, which I rarely ever do. (I'm a flip flop and running shoe kinda gal.) My husband is going to try on a jacket of his brother's. If that doesn't work, we will just go buy a jacket for him. It doesn't stress the budget, but I really don't like spending money on things that will probably never get worn again. (My dress was very inexpensive at Ross. ?

The funny thing is that the invitation did not specify dress, but the website did. If I hadn't looked at the website I would never have thought about it. Now I can focus on more important matters. Ha ha!

I have missed the experience of the Hive. I really don't think there is anywhere else with such a great group of people to learn from.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Hikin' Mama said:

I greatly appreciate all the replies! I have decided to stick with the dress I have, which is a solid color, has some bling around the neckline, and falls below my knee. It is not a casual dress. I will even be wearing heels, which I rarely ever do. (I'm a flip flop and running shoe kinda gal.) My husband is going to try on a jacket of his brother's. If that doesn't work, we will just go buy a jacket for him. It doesn't stress the budget, but I really don't like spending money on things that will probably never get worn again. (My dress was very inexpensive at Ross. ?

The funny thing is that the invitation did not specify dress, but the website did. If I hadn't looked at the website I would never have thought about it. Now I can focus on more important matters. Ha ha!

I have missed the experience of the Hive. I really don't think there is anywhere else with such a great group of people to learn from.

I intentionally bought a top that I could wear on other occasions - even though they are used to my business casual at work that they commented on the top when I wore it once. ? I had the slacks and pumps already.

Does that last sentence mean you will pop in more often?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Quill said:

Jeans and cowboy boots doesn't necessarily mean informal. At my sister's wedding, the women were in largely formal attire, for men it was "Texas formal" which means nice jeans, cowboy boots (the fancy kind if you have 'em), and dress shirts. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ravin said:

Jeans and cowboy boots doesn't necessarily mean informal. At my sister's wedding, the women were in largely formal attire, for men it was "Texas formal" which means nice jeans, cowboy boots (the fancy kind if you have 'em), and dress shirts. 

Cowboy boots for both boys and girls are quite a trend for weddings down here in the semi country crowd!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Someone showed up to my friend's daughter's wedding this summer in cutoff shorts and a tank top. Everyone else was in suits and dresses/slacks.  Then she spent A LOT of time on the dance floor...

26 minutes ago, goldberry said:

Someone showed up to my friend's daughter's wedding this summer in cutoff shorts and a tank top. Everyone else was in suits and dresses/slacks.  Then she spent A LOT of time on the dance floor...

Us too.  My daughters outdoor wedding was in the  afternoon, but everyone dressed very nice (formal gown/tuxes for bridal party)....except the uninvited extra guests that someone brought along. They were teenagers so they likely didn't know better. The groom asked that the uninvited guests leave after the wedding but before the reception, which also meant that a few invited guests had to leave too since they drove together.