Menu

Explain shipping math to me

KungFuPanda

3 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Amazon makes stuff up.  It’s all whatever it convenient for the shipping schedule of the particular warehouse location based on your priority as a customer and what you paid or didn’t pay for shipping.

voodoo.

Exactly.  I miss the day when 2 days actually meant 2 days with Amazon.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I just ordered something with free two-day shipping. I’ll get it by the 24th. What the? For one item I was able to choose one-day shipping and that’s guaranteed to arrive by the 21st. I do not understand how Amazon counts to one or two. 

when it gets down to it - it depends upon the warehouse location of the item.

I'm in amazon country - so tend to get things more quickly - but not always.   I've had things take a while.

last summer I dh and 2ds went to portland to watch the eclipse.   I tried to order glasses VERY late.  I could get them to my house before the eclipse - but after they had to leave here. however, if I were to have them shipped to my friend's house in portland where they were staying - they wouldn't come until it was all over.

Edited by gardenmom5

Once I paid for one day shipping for an item I desperately needed to get an estimated arrival in time. I got it 2 days late! I finally found a way to talk to someone to complain and they promised to refund the entire cost plus the shipping cost. I never got refund, though I didn't follow up.

That much of a delay is probably related to hurricane stuff? At least allegedly caused by the hurricane.

But we've had prime for a long time and very often, even when weather isn't an issue, we now regularly get arrival dates for items past two days. Often not much past, but it used to be far better than that. 

Edited by sbgrace

I generally get things quickly and ordering over a week out is usually safe for me. I’m near Baltimore, so this is the first I’ve experienced this type of delay. I didn’t think about the weather aspect. That makes sense. I’m kind of hoping I get it I. Two days and the long estimate is to manage expectations and reduce complaints. 

We ask my husband’s colleagues with Prime to order for us if it’s urgent as we don’t have Prime. For his office zip code it’s same day delivery and so far it has been ok for books and stationary. That’s literally all we order from Amazon and we are near many of their fulfillment center (I counted seven with one that is 14 miles away).

My neighbors order all kinds of stuff so it can range from same day to a week depending on what was ordered. We are in their Sunday USPS delivery zone as well as in their Whole Foods delivery zone.

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I just ordered something with free two-day shipping. I’ll get it by the 24th. What the? For one item I was able to choose one-day shipping and that’s guaranteed to arrive by the 21st. I do not understand how Amazon counts to one or two. 

The shipping time has nothing to do with when it is shipped.  Once it's shipped it is supposed to be one or two days.  The difference between the 21st and the 24th is that there is a weekend in between, and the shipping times are not including that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

I hate when an item is listed as Prime, but then you find out at checkout that it won't actually ship for a month.

I had one once that said it would ship in six weeks.  (might have simply been "free shipping" - don't remember.) I figured it was stock issue. I got a message two or three days later (after I ordered) that it had shipped.  so I got it in about a week.

3 minutes ago, EKS said:

The shipping time has nothing to do with when it is shipped.  Once it's shipped it is supposed to be one or two days.  The difference between the 21st and the 24th is that there is a weekend in between, and the shipping times are not including that.

this   If I order on friday - it is longer than if I order on a monday/tuesday.

• Like 2

I usually get items in 2 days, but some items that are coming from far will take longer.

Sometimes you can just delete your item and order another one that is basically the same but listed separately - or differs in unimportant ways - and it will come in 2 days.

3 hours ago, Selkie said:

I hate when an item is listed as Prime, but then you find out at checkout that it won't actually ship for a month.

This is what's happened to me.  I ordered something once with Prime 2 day shipping, and when it wasn't there in almost a week I went and try to track the order. Turns out I had failed to read the fine print saying that it wouldn't even ship for 3 weeks, so I cancelled the order and reordered it through a third party with slow shipping and I still got it before it would have even shipped with Prime.

So in my experience it's not that the shipping is slower than 2 days, it's that they're not bothering to actually have the thing leave the warehouse for some period of time first. :angry:

I live in the Carolinas, and after the hurricane hit, everything had an arrival date of 10 days from order, even with Prime.  I went to place a "mock" order tonight, and I am still getting that same date, although now it is 7 days, not 10 days.  I hope it's the weather and not the new Prime.

6 hours ago, Beaniemom said:

It gets even more fun when you are shipping to Hawaii.  All normal shipping maths don’t apply.  

Or APO/FPO.
I had a company (Kid Advance montessori toys) charge me double the shipping because it was going so far.  When I pointed out they were paying for shipping to New York/New Jersey and the label they printed reflected the postal cost, I didn't even get an explanation beyond "but it's far!!!" ?  Yeah.  Okay.  Figured they really didn't need my business that bad and switched to a different supplier.

I did have an item make a 3 month detour through Russia once.  That was interesting.

Edited by HomeAgain