Menu

What is your grocery budget?

mommyoffive

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I save more when I shop daily. But I am literally two minutes by car from a grocery store. I know what’s in my freezer and pantry and fridge.  We tend to biy the same foods that I would buy if I planned out a week at a time or a month at a time like I used to. But there is so much less food waste when I go daily - especially produce- because I buy what we need for a couple of days and don’t forget that it’s there. Everyone in the family knows whete I have a running list and adds to it.  That way I can concentrate on what’s for dinner because favorite (ie  staple) breakfast, lunch and snack foods get put in the list as we run out  

I can totally see that working for some people. My issue with shopping more often is that it increases my opportunities for impulse buys and if dh is with me it WILL increase impulse buys.  I can budget better shopping once a week but that’s just my style.  My grocery store is a mile away but going every day would drive me crazy, especially in winter. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Annie G said:

I can totally see that working for some people. My issue with shopping more often is that it increases my opportunities for impulse buys and if dh is with me it WILL increase impulse buys.  I can budget better shopping once a week but that’s just my style.  My grocery store is a mile away but going every day would drive me crazy, especially in winter. 

Being a celiac household greatly reduces the chance for impulse buys.  I suppose that I could impulse buy some gluten free cookies but we really don't tend to do that.  Everything requires reading labels carefully since we don't even buy things "made in the same facility as . . . " when it comes to gluten.  But as I said upthread somewhere, I am not trying to stick to a strict food budget so my focus is having safe gluten free, dairy free foods and not on having cheap foods.  We don't have super expensive tastes though - we like a lot of the brown rice, stir-fried meat and veggies kind of meals.  If ds20 doesn't like what I've cooked or what I have in the house, he buys his own with his own money.  (He mostly eats what I buy and cook, though.) 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, hippiemamato3 said:

Reading this thread has be seriously rethinking what we "budget" for food. We spend an exorbitant amount of money on food for 5 people. Some of it is because we buy only organic, some of it is because of food restrictions and special diets, but a lot of it is because I struggle so much with ADHD that I can't/don't plan ahead and when I decided to make something special it requires several trips to the store (every day) because I don't have what I need. We spend far more than anyone else has listed on this thread. Eek. I need to get this under control. 

I didn't chime in before because we don't budget a certain amount, don't meal plan, eat out almost every day, and mostly just buy what we are in the mood to buy. If I had to guess, I would say that we spend $2500-3000/month for a family of 4, but I honestly don't know. Feel better?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

I didn't chime in before because we don't budget a certain amount, don't meal plan, eat out almost every day, and mostly just buy what we are in the mood to buy. If I had to guess, I would say that we spend $2500-3000/month for a family of 4, but I honestly don't know. Feel better?

Well, we are on par with each other so...yes ? (and our style seems to also be the same lol)

• Like 3

Buying food for four here; four with adult appetites (teenaged boys). I think we run about $200/week usually, and that includes nearly all Walmart items plus food. I haven't figured it in awhile, so it may actually run closer to $1000/month now. I buy everything from Aldi and Walmart, depending on whether I need things I can't get at Aldi or not. Low to medium COL. Due to diabetes, I can't serve highly carbohydrate meals to help save money; there has to be protein in there to balance things out. One of my boys eats lunch at home, but another is in ps, takes his lunch, and a sandwich doesn't cut it for him. He's got to have something more substantial.

6 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

I am slightly jealous, but also very curious how it would even be possible to spend that much. Oh I see you said you eat out every day....ok, in that case maybe.  I get sick of eating out though......probably don't have enough good choice for that.

48 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I am slightly jealous, but also very curious how it would even be possible to spend that much. Oh I see you said you eat out every day....ok, in that case maybe.  I get sick of eating out though......probably don't have enough good choice for that.

You have to keep in mind that I live in San Diego, which is a very HCOL area (http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/real-estate/sd-fi-single-family-home-preview-20180222-story.html), and that high quality food options are plentiful. I tend to order groceries from Instacart or Amazon Prime Now and have them delivered (mostly, fresh fruit, veggies, dairy, and other perishable stuff), which is free if you spend more than $35 (haven't grocery shopped in an actual store in at least 6 months), and I probably spend about $250-300/week on that kind of stuff. I also get a bunch of stuff delivered (free) from Costco and Amazon Subscribe and Save every month -- mostly household supplies and non-perishable snacks for the kids (probably another couple of hundred). My husband eats lunch out every day during the work week and sometimes has business dinners with clients (lunch can be anything from McDs or burritos to something nice). My older son and I eat lunch out most days because we are running around to his extracurriculars (could be In N Out burgers or an Indian buffet or a sushi bar -- just whatever we are in the mood for). My younger son gets lunch catered by his preschool everyday (ETA: the school requires kosher food, so it is easier just to have them feed him vs us trying to meet their requirements). 

My husband makes breakfast for the kids each morning (usually bagels, cereal, or toast, plus some protein) and dinner at night (usually something from the freezer that he can nuke because the kids are picky). He and I just have coffee for breakfast and I barely eat dinner. We used to subscribe to a meal kit for dinner, but, after bariatric surgery, I can't eat that many carbs. So, we quit that, and he doesn't really enjoy cooking for just him. So yeah, we don't really have a lot of sit down big family dinners because of picky eaters (kids) and one low carb-eater (me).  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hippiemamato3 said:

Well, we are on par with each other so...yes ? (and our style seems to also be the same lol)

Just to add to that I know of a someone who used to swear it was cheaper to eat out.  She would buy all the ingredients for a recipe, follow the recipe to the letter.  But if there was leftover cabbage say it would just get thrown out rather than planned into a new meal!

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Just to add to that I know of a someone who used to swear it was cheaper to eat out.  She would buy all the ingredients for a recipe, follow the recipe to the letter.  But if there was leftover cabbage say it would just get thrown out rather than planned into a new meal!

Depends where you eat out. That’s one thing I miss about no longer living in an urban area, I need to cook a lot more just to be able to eat the way I want I eat.

OP, I don’t know what my grocery budget it because I’m going to buy the things I buy whatever the cost, if I have to go to multiple places to do so that’s what I do.  Like I’m not going to start eating a certain food because it’s on sale. Half of my existence seems to involve planning or thinking or preparing food and drink...It’s been a nice side effect to this full time travelling that it’s freed up some brain space. Almost everywhere I’ve been so far the food is better quality that I can manage at home. ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Scarlett said:

We don't have a lot of options for eating out either, which i find to be a blessing and a curse, lol. I know we would eat out more often if we had more local choices.  Instead, it's meh pizza or bad Chinese take out.  Farther out, there are plenty of chains, but few independent restaurants (and they cycle. None last very long.) It's a bummer when I really WANT to go out!

So, I'm looking over my last receipt, and I think it's important to reiterate that many of us who do keep our numbers down aren't buying every item every week (and most of us seem to shop weekly). This past week, my total was $231, including items I bought for an upcoming party. But it didn't include the potatoes, pasta, oatmeal, tuna, bagels, peanut butter, or some other odds and ends we've been using that were already here.  I do have to grab more eggs, milk, and coffee creamer because I underestimated, but it will still stay in my usual range.  (Well, we always need more milk. That's a space issue.)  If I hadn't been party shopping, I would have stocked up on more sale items that would hold over or I could freeze.

What did I get?  Giant box of Ziplock bags, Kashi cereal, 3 bottles of ketchup and 3 jars of mayo (ketchup was on sale and had coupons on it for free mayo, which we need for party salads,) 2 cans of baked beans, 3 bottles of marinade, relish, 2 jars of sauce, a case of water, 4 cases of soda, a giant pack of toilet paper, air freshener for my car, fabric softener, garbage bags, hot dog rolls, whole wheat bread, 6lbs of ground beef, 5lbs of london broil, 6lbs of chicken breast, 2pkg kielbasa, a package of store made Italian sausage, a protein shake because I didn't eat, lemon juice, spinach, spring mix, cilantro,  9 ears of corn, brussel sprouts, carrots, red onion, broccoli crowns, 3lb apples, bananas, 2lb butter, a tub of yogurt, 2pkg cream cheese, 4pkg hot dogs, 6-8oz pkg chunk cheese, about .5lb American cheese, almond milk, hummus, a blueberry pie from the bakery, 4 toothbrushes, maxi pads, expensive razors for dd, a new kitchen broom, wood glue, and 6 fresh doughnuts.

That's definitely not our diet for the week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

So, I'm looking over my last receipt, and I think it's important to reiterate that many of us who do keep our numbers down aren't buying every item every week (and most of us seem to shop weekly). This past week, my total was $231, including items I bought for an upcoming party. But it didn't include the potatoes, pasta, oatmeal, tuna, bagels, peanut butter, or some other odds and ends we've been using that were already here.  I do have to grab more eggs, milk, and coffee creamer because I underestimated, but it will still stay in my usual range.  (Well, we always need more milk. That's a space issue.)  If I hadn't been party shopping, I would have stocked up on more sale items that would hold over or I could freeze.

What did I get?  Giant box of Ziplock bags, Kashi cereal, 3 bottles of ketchup and 3 jars of mayo (ketchup was on sale and had coupons on it for free mayo, which we need for party salads,) 2 cans of baked beans, 3 bottles of marinade, relish, 2 jars of sauce, a case of water, 4 cases of soda, a giant pack of toilet paper, air freshener for my car, fabric softener, garbage bags, hot dog rolls, whole wheat bread, 6lbs of ground beef, 5lbs of london broil, 6lbs of chicken breast, 2pkg kielbasa, a package of store made Italian sausage, a protein shake because I didn't eat, lemon juice, spinach, spring mix, cilantro,  9 ears of corn, brussel sprouts, carrots, red onion, broccoli crowns, 3lb apples, bananas, 2lb butter, a tub of yogurt, 2pkg cream cheese, 4pkg hot dogs, 6-8oz pkg chunk cheese, about .5lb American cheese, almond milk, hummus, a blueberry pie from the bakery, 4 toothbrushes, maxi pads, expensive razors for dd, a new kitchen broom, wood glue, and 6 fresh doughnuts.

That's definitely not our diet for the week.

Beginning the first, which is our pay day, I am going to separate out food from non food at Wal-Mart.  I have done it before when I am tracking our spending and it is very enlightening.  Also ANY eating out, including a stop at Quick Trip which I did twice this week because I didn't buy yogurt for myself to have for breakfast.  I spent 5 or 6 dollars both mornings and I spent 8 at lunch again due to poor planning and not having lunch stuff on hand.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Sometimes I feel like that is true.  For a big family I feel like McDonalds or Subway is cheaper than making certain meals. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scholastica said:

Only if you have small children and don't care about the cost of poor nutrition.

Well I have older kids who eat more than me and still those two places can sometimes be less than a meal at home depending on what we have.  But yeah we don't eat out much, but we are also not people who don't do fast food ever.  I think Subway is a decent meal.  And Mcdonalds can be sort of healthy depending on what you get. 

• Like 3

Oh no, the grocery budget question!  I haven't read a single reply yet but these threads never go so well.  

This is a highly personal subject that people get pretty protective about.  Whatever you spend, it will be too low for some and too much for others.  

We spend an arm and a leg.  Like, no numbers shall be posted here.  And I try to keep it low, I really do.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Attolia said:

Oh no, the grocery budget question!  I haven't read a single reply yet but these thread never go so well.  

This is a highly personal subject that people get pretty protective about.  Whatever you spend, it will be too low for some and too much for others.  

We spend and arm and a leg.  Like, no numbers shall be posted here.  And I try to keep it low, I really do.

Aw, come on now.  A couple of posters upthread said they spend $2500-$3000 per month.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

I just told my dh this morning that I am really getting old because I have read probably 100 grocery budget threads in my life.

You aren't kidding!!!!  I was feeling the same way when I saw it, haha.  Not to say that grocery budget threads aren't important and I even started one once.  Sometimes you have to learn the hard way, haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why not! I wasn't going to chime in here but Scarlett convinced me ?

I live in a medium cost of living area (I think?).

How many people do you feed? I routinely feed 5-6 (one in college) but I also feed a good bit of college kids and friends who float in and out of my house.  ETA - the age of kiddos matters almost as much if not more as how many people you feed?  2 or 3 teen boys can eat far more than 6 young kids, haha.

How much do you spend a week or a month? $1400 a month. I shop at Lidl and Aldi to get this down and I have a garden.  We are dairy and gluten free and I am somewhat picky about the meat and eggs that I buy so this adds a good bit to the cost.  

Does it include your cleaning and personal supplies for people too?  Nope, just food.  I keep household supplies as a different line item

I could never do $70 a week.  And I have no idea how anyone can if they are including household expenses, clothes, shoes, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why not! I wasn't going to chime in here but Scarlett convinced me ?

I live in a medium cost of living area (I think?).

How many people do you feed? I routinely feed 5-6 (one in college) but I also feed a good bit of college kids and friends who float in and out of my house.

How much do you spend a week or a month? $1400 a month. I shop at Lidl and Aldi to get this down and I have a garden.  We are dairy and gluten free and I am somewhat picky about the meat and eggs that I buy so this adds a good bit to the cost.  

Does it include your cleaning and personal supplies for people too?  Nope, just food.  I keep household supplies as a different line item

I could never do $70 a week.  And I have no idea how anyone can if they are including household expenses, clothes, shoes, etc.

I remember doing $70 per week when it was just ds when he was small and XH and me.  But that would have been like 15 years ago.  Everything is so expensive now.

I am more excited than I should be about tracking spending in June.  LOL

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I remember doing $70 per week when it was just ds when he was small and XH and me.  But that would have been like 15 years ago.  Everything is so expensive now.

I love stuff like that too.

So MoneySavingMom posted her budget for this week

http://moneysavingmom.com/2018/05/this-weeks-70-menu-plan-kroger-29-shopping-trip.html?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=moneysavingmom

Monday Kroger Shopping Trip — $29.85

This menu is subject to change a little if I find some great deals or markdowns! ?

Breakfasts

Fried/Scrambled Eggs, Baked Oatmeal, Fruit, Toast

Lunches

Ham Sandwiches, Ma & Cheese, Chips/Salsa, Fruit, Veggies, Leftovers, Eggs, Yogurt, Salad

Snacks

Marked Down Yogurt, Fruit, Slab Apple Pie (from the freezer — we served this when we had guests last week and had some leftovers)

Dinners

Monday — Dinner Out at The Cheesecake Factory (our realtor gave us a gift card as a thank you when we bought our house and we saved it to use for summer break!)
Tuesday — Ham Sandwiches, Chips, Salsa, Apples (Jesse and Kathrynne are going to be gone this night.)
Wednesday — Grilled Brats, Corn on the Cob, Grilled Peppers, Cantaloupe
Thursday — Haystacks
Friday — Breakfast for dinner: Waffles, Eggs, Sausage
Saturday — Leftover Pizza (I froze some of the leftover pizza from our dinner with guests last week!), Veggies
Sunday — Snack-y Dinner (fend for yourself — cereal, leftovers, etc.)

Freezer Cooking to Do: Waffles, Baked Oatmeal

Total spent so far this week: $28.95

Total left to spend: $40.15

She seems to have so much leftover things from the week before.  That amount of fruit and veggies wouldn't even last us the day.  The cantaloupe would be gone in one sitting and everyone wouldn't have even had enough. Same with the yogurt. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I get a high off of tracking and balancing, etc.

Didn't OP say 7 people in her family though?  And I feel like prices has risen so much too!  Also, age of kids matters in a big way.  When mine were all tiny, we could feed a family of 5 or 6 so much cheaper.

6 minutes ago, Attolia said:

I get a high off of tracking and balancing, etc.

Didn't OP say 7 people in her family though?  And I feel like prices has risen so much too!  Also, age of kids matters in a big way.  When mine were all tiny, we could feed a family of 5 or 6 so much cheaper.

Yep 7 people.  2 adults, 1 large dog, 5 kids ages 2-12

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Yep 7 people.  2 adults, 1 large dog, 5 kids ages 2-12

Well, dog food doesn't belong in there either, haha.  Just my opinion ?  I am sure they aren't counting things like dog food and shoes in $70/week.  Your kids are smaller so that helps.  Whatever you may think is too much, just go ahead and hold onto your hat because once they are 8-18 your mind will be blown.  Like, you will wonder how in the world this has happened and you will be lamenting about how kids are so cheap when they are young but it is just a scheme to hook you and sink you when they are teens.  haha

• Haha 1

Just now, Attolia said:

Well, dog food doesn't belong in there either, haha.  Just my opinion ?  I am sure they aren't counting things like dog food and shoes in $70/week.  Your kids are smaller so that helps.  Whatever you may think is too much, just go ahead and hold onto your hat because once they are 8-18 your mind will be blown.  Like, you will wonder how in the world this has happened and you will be lamenting about how kids are so cheap when they are young but it is just a scheme to hook you and sink you when they are teens.  haha

I know right!  And then you rejoice when they get a job and eat a lot of their meals out with their friends.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Attolia said:

I am sure you are right because I never see things like that in it. I know they have pet or two.

But for me I put everything in my grocery budget.  If I buy it at Walmart it counts.  So dog food counts.  

I know when they are older it is going to be nuts.  Although 4 of my kids eat more than I do, so I am not sure how much it will really change.  

• Like 1

And help with car insurance right?  Bless, I am so glad my boy child has a job now.

My XH pays our son's car insurance.  We pay my ss's….I don't have the heart to make him pay for it when ds doesn't have to.  It is only about $60 a month though, so not unreasonable and we can afford to do it at this point.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I am sure you are right because I never see things like that in it. I know they have pet or two.

But for me I put everything in my grocery budget.  If I buy it at Walmart it counts.  So dog food counts.  

I know when they are older it is going to be nuts.  Although 4 of my kids eat more than I do, so I am not sure how much it will really change.  

I use to think that too...but what if you buy a battery for you car at Wal-Mart?  Things like that....so I am going to start dividing mine up.  Food only.

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

There is this whole other factor too of time and couponing, etc.  I can't coupon for two reasons 1) we are gluten and dairy free so 99% coupons just don't apply to us and (2) I just really don't have the time.  Once upon a time I did that stuff.  Our diets weren't so limited then and I was home full time.  I now work part time and still homeschool, etc.  Teens are also a huge time sucker in this area - driving them all of the places they need to go.  I was the one with littles who watched my friends with teens and said "i will never run crazy like that!"  Just don't make promises to yourself that you can't keep ok ?   Time is just not quite on my side these days.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

My XH pays our son's car insurance.  We pay my ss's….I don't have the heart to make him pay for it when ds doesn't have to.  It is only about $60 a month though, so not unreasonable and we can afford to do it at this point.

Oh my gosh, I keep hearing figures like this for car insurance.  How?????  DS is $175/month.  No accidents, no tickets.  $175/month. He does have an older car that is covered but not fully, just liability. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I use to think that too...but what if you buy a battery for you car at Wal-Mart?  Things like that....so I am going to start dividing mine up.  Food only.

You are right, it makes more sense to divide everything out.  I am just not going to do it.  Even though I don't do that I know that I $70 a week on just food not paper and cleaning, isn't something we do. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Attolia said:

Oh my gosh, I keep hearing figures like this for car insurance.  How?????  DS is $175/month.  No accidents, no tickets.  $175/month. He does have an older car that is covered but not fully, just liability. 

LCOL area I guess. He has an 06 Jetta.  Liability only.  Took drivers ed, gets good student discount and did a State Farm program...no tickets.  If their insurance goes up from ticket or accident they will have to pay the difference.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Attolia said:

There is this whole other factor too of time and couponing, etc.  I can't coupon for two reasons 1) we are gluten and dairy free so 99% coupons just don't apply to us and (2) I just really don't have the time.  Once upon a time I did that stuff.  Our diets weren't so limited then and I was home full time.  I now work part time and still homeschool, etc.  Teens are also a huge time sucker in this area - driving them all of the places they need to go.  I was the one with littles who watched my friends with teens and said "i will never run crazy like that!"  Just don't make promises to yourself that you can't keep ok ?   Time is just not quite on my side these days.

I hear you.  I was saying that about 4 years ago, and now that isn't true.  We are crazy busy.  All our things used to be 5 mins or less from our house.  Then we started going to another nearby town that is 20ish mins away each way.  Fine. Now we commute 2 hours round trip for lessons 2-3 times a week or more.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Attolia said:

Well, dog food doesn't belong in there either, haha.  Just my opinion ? 

20 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Dog food definitely doesn't belong in the food category.

Some of us home-cook for our dogs. Ours is small and I prepare his meals from pretty much the same stuff we eat. The cost to feed him is negligible (he's not only small but is a very light eater and is one of those dogs who really thinks dogs should be vegetarians), but if I were to list how much we spend on groceries his food would have to be included. It's not something I could separate out.

7 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Some of us home-cook for our dogs. Ours is small and I prepare his meals from pretty much the same stuff we eat. The cost to feed him is negligible (he's not only small but is a very light eater and is one of those dogs who really thinks dogs should be vegetarians), but if I were to list how much we spend on groceries his food would have to be included. It's not something I could separate out.

Hmm home cooking for your dog.  What do you feed him?  

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Hmm home cooking for your dog.  What do you feed him?  

Pretty much whatever we're eating. Tonight I'm fixing a taco casserole for DH and DS19, so I'll brown a little of the hamburger separately (no seasoning) for the dog. We have some steamed green beans left over from last night, so he'll get some of those. That's pretty much how it goes--he gets a little of whatever meat I'm using that night, some veggies, maybe a bit of rice or potato. You need to add in a little calcium to balance out the phosphorous in meat, but honestly I've gotten to the point I don't worry about that too much. He's almost seven now and I don't feel that balancing everything *just so* is as important as it was when he was a young 'un.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Pretty much whatever we're eating. Tonight I'm fixing a taco casserole for DH and DS19, so I'll brown a little of the hamburger separately (no seasoning) for the dog. We have some steamed green beans left over from last night, so he'll get some of those. That's pretty much how it goes--he gets a little of whatever meat I'm using that night, some veggies, maybe a bit of rice or potato. You need to add in a little calcium to balance out the phosphorous in meat, but honestly I've gotten to the point I don't worry about that too much. He's almost seven now and I don't feel that balancing everything *just so* is as important as it was when he was a young 'un.

Is there anything that they shouldn't eat?  Our dog eats a lot so I don't think I would do this for everything, but maybe one time a day. 

39 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Is there anything that they shouldn't eat?  Our dog eats a lot so I don't think I would do this for everything, but maybe one time a day. 

Yes.

I avoid onions and garlic, although many natural types think small amounts of garlic are okay.

Chocolate, especially baking chocolate

Grapes and raisins

Anything with xylitol

Very fatty meats (i.e., scraps or something you wouldn't eat yourself). I don't give dogs bacon. Some dogs are particularly susceptible to dietary induced pancreatitis, which can be deadly. I just don't see taking a chance.

Nuts, especially macademias

Home cooking for a dog isn't rocket science, but it really is something you should educate yourself about before you attempt it. There are a lot of good resources on the internet. This is  a good place to start. One caveat: Unless you have access to your own beef (or venison or similar stuff if you know a hunter) it's not an inexpensive way to feed, especially for medium/larger dogs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

http://moneysavingmom.com/2018/05/this-weeks-70-menu-plan-kroger-29-shopping-trip.html?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=moneysavingmom

T

Those prices are hard to believe. I didn't think I lived in that high a cost of living area, but there is NO WAY you are getting a package of ham for that price here. Or yogurt for that cheap, not even generic brand.The flour isn't far off, but the peppers? Heck know. Try MAYBE that price for ONE pepper, not a package of veggies. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Those prices are hard to believe. I didn't think I lived in that high a cost of living area, but there is NO WAY you are getting a package of ham for that price here. Or yogurt for that cheap, not even generic brand.The flour isn't far off, but the peppers? Heck know. Try MAYBE that price for ONE pepper, not a package of veggies. 

I can get that on markdown here, BUT:
-the food is usually within a day of expiration or that day expired. 
-the vegetables and fruit are on their last leg

Between the two of us dh and I once whipped up an amazing meal (chicken francese, asparagus, side salad, pots de creme with raspberry sauce for dessert) on a $10 budget for everything.  The chicken needed to be sold that day, the lemons, asparagus, raspberries, and most of the salad greens came from the clearanced cart and were supplemented by my garden, the whipping cream was marked down severely because it expired that day.  It turned out great and our guest was amazed.  Our original dinner plan had fallen through, and if our guest had been anyone but my sister I probably wouldn't have hit the clearances first. ?  She didn't care, she's just as frugal as I am.  

But if I was shopping for a whole week, you can bet I wouldn't be comfortable eating clearanced meat several days later.  Or the yogurt - though we only pay about that per serving anyway by buying the store brand tub of plain Greek yogurt.  It has the same 3 ingredients as Fage and half the price.  So I don't know.  I don't find her numbers too far off, but I don't think I'd be comfortable eating at her house.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

This menu is subject to change a little if I find some great deals or markdowns! ?

Breakfasts

Lunches

Ham Sandwiches, Ma & Cheese, Chips/Salsa, Fruit, Veggies, Leftovers, Eggs, Yogurt, Salad

Snacks

Marked Down Yogurt, Fruit, Slab Apple Pie (from the freezer — we served this when we had guests last week and had some leftovers)

Dinners

Monday — Dinner Out at The Cheesecake Factory (our realtor gave us a gift card as a thank you when we bought our house and we saved it to use for summer break!)
Tuesday — Ham Sandwiches, Chips, Salsa, Apples (Jesse and Kathrynne are going to be gone this night.)
Thursday — Haystacks
Saturday — Leftover Pizza (I froze some of the leftover pizza from our dinner with guests last week!), Veggies

She seems to have so much leftover things from the week before.  That amount of fruit and veggies wouldn't even last us the day.  The cantaloupe would be gone in one sitting and everyone wouldn't have even had enough. Same with the yogurt. 

That $30 shopping trip would give enough food for breakfast and a couple of lunches.  Definitely not enough for any dinners - or at least maybe one dinner with some brats but that's it.  (And that amount of food would cost a lot more than $30 here even with coupons.)  Wednesday is the only dinner that I would make and serve here.  (Though dd couldn't eat it since she's allergic to peppers.)  Everything else would kill us with the carbs. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Breakfasts

Lunches

Snacks

Dinners

Thursday — Haystacks

Are my grocery stores the only ones that don't mark things down? Bakery items, meat, and some boxed items get marked down. I don't see yogurt or produce (except pre-packaged "fruit/veggie platter" things) or eggs marked down! We only eat "day old" donuts (my DH and kids have a donut problem); I go crazy and buy meat in bulk to freeze when I do find it marked down. I don't buy the marked down produce because it's still pricier than buying the whole canteloupe or apples or whatever because it's already cut. I shop at Aldi and there I see boxed stuff and meat go on clearance often, but not other items. Walmart has a bakery close-out area and a clearance 1/2 aisle with boxes, but no produce, dairy, etc. I do not shop at a full-service grocery store as we only have a privately-owned one in our town and it's pricey - maybe they mark things down?

7 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Sometimes I feel like that is true.  For a big family I feel like McDonalds or Subway is cheaper than making certain meals. 

Well that I should true.  Dh and I had an argument over this once because I wanted to just do takeaway for a lunch and he wanted to go get stuff to do sandwiches because we were tight on money.  The total for rolls, sandwich fillings and drinks ended up being more than the takeaway pack.

of course it was much nicer and healthier but much less convenient at the time.

overall though planning and cooking is definitely cheaper for us!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Breakfasts

Lunches

Snacks

Dinners

Thursday — Haystacks

Yep! Plus fruit is scheduled as a snack and no fruit was purchased. And no way would anyway here eat ham sandwiches twice in a day.

and there's a lot of cereal for dinner.  But where is all this cereal coming from?  I don't see it?

i get doing this if it's strictly necessary but if you can afford healthy balanced meals its pretty dumb!!!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

I find it pretty funny that she bothers with organic, given how much alcohol she drinks lol

I did a double take when she (or he, couldn’t tell) spent big on a meal to impress a date... after the boyfriend mooched off the 80-ish dollar egg McMuffins.