Menu

Writing curriculum: POLL

mommy25

Which writing curriculum are you using with success?  

1. 1. Which writing curriculum are you using with success?

I seem to be making it up as I go along. We're using A Beka Language 3 and they have writing incorporated in there. Plus, I do narration and have her write about what we've read in a paragraph form. I've looked at Writing Strands, but I'm afraid it may be overkill right now.:confused:

We're using WWE. Both of my dd are doing wonderful narrations. I'm most impressed with my oldest. We were previous enrolled in a program that had required writing in english - a 5 sentence paragraph on some topic. She cried, whined, was sure she couldn't do it. This year we're using WWE and doing reading and history narrations and lab reports as described for 3rd grade chemistry in TWTM. Now, she's writing page-long narrations in 10 minutes with no complaining!

We started Writing Strands but only recently and it seems to be going okay. I started with 2 even though my daughter is 10 so we could have some review and an easy time. We're sort of zooming through at the rate of a weeks worth of lessons a day. :) It's going well but I can't really say whether it's going to be a keeper yet.

I use Imitations in Writing (Aesop's Fables & Fairy Tales), with IEW stylistic techniques thrown in, and Stack the Deck.

Each writing program serves a different purpose for us and I am satisfied with the combination.

Writing was a hard subject to decide upon for me... I wish you the best of luck!

Slight hijack...

I would love to hear more about Stack the Deck. It's on my wish list for next year.

Michele

I have been using R&S. This year we began Classical Conversations so now we are doing IEW as well. I have been working hard to make sure dd is not overwhelmed with grammar or writing with this year. I like both a lot. However, I think I would like to look into WWE. Ah, the musings of a cirriculum junkie. :D

IEW for us - we've tried them all, but IEW wins, hands down. The longer we use it, the more comfortable we are with it, and the more benefit it is for us - both for my son, who wants to be a writer, and my 16 year old daughter, who was unable to string together a paragraph 2 years ago, and now punches out essays! :001_smile: I really never thought we'd get there - but step by step, we did, it's fantastic.

We've used Writing Strands with success but don't seem to stick with it. The dc have had writing with different groups over the years, narrations, book studies with writing and assignments we've given them. I'm fortunate that dh is available for the final edit. :)

Her creative writing improved drastically when she started trying to write like her favorite authors.After years of frustration using several different writing programs I've concluded that lots of copywork in the elementary grades is as good as or better than any other type of writing curriculum.Also, that not every person is a natural writer.Just my opinion.Ask me again in 5 years or so when youngest dd has worked through WWE for a few years.

I have my own major writing phobia. This has gotten in my way of thinking well about writing curriculums and making decisions in that area.

I have Writing Strands Levels 1 thru 5 and most of the books for adults. I did use level 1 and so DS8 has a great vocabulary and does play with words alot. He also loves writing stories about monsters on other planets, the names change but the plot is basically the same.

I have much of the Classical Writing program for Aesop and the Homer core book. I like that it is mostly layed out, but I am scared of having to find my own substitutes for a few of the lessons that we wouldn't use the topics included.

I just got the Writing With Ease core book and Level 1 Workbook. DS has excellent handwriting when he uses Handwriting Without Tears paper, and horrible handwriting on the three line type used in the workbook, so I would have to make my own copywork pages using the content in the workbook, instead of letting him write in the book or xeroxing. I was hoping to do all of the Level 1 and 2 in one year, then hopefully Level 3 Workbook would be out and we could do that and start Level 4 during the 4th grade year.

We afterschool and I must work full-time, so the least amount of organizing, blending, and actual creation of materials on my part is incredibly helpful. It seems my own writing fear and low amount of time has gotten to me. I have bought all of these materials and not really started using them.

I am still trying to get a handle on what they are(CW is whole to parts?, WWE is parts to whole?, WS is what?), how they work, and which would be best for DS8 who is an auditory/verbal learner. He is doing well in other English Language Arts areas. Maybe I just start one and see. I just don't want to create bad associations with writing for my DS.:confused:

The Wordsmith series and Writing Strands have turned out enthusiastic writers at our home. Our son's college writing professor complimented his writing as asked who taught him! My son gave me the credit, but I just provide the texts and lots of encouragement :) He has had short stories published in two books and enjoys writing. Our other children have confidence writing resumes and articles after working through these painless programs.

I voted for Writing Strands because that is what I always end up going back to, but... This year I'm using R&S 6 and 8 with different children. I have been pleased with the way it presents writing assignments. It is far more traditionally structured and that has been helpful. I've been alternating between the Writing Strands and the R&S assignments. Typically we skip the writing assignments during regular grammar instruction and then go back and work through them all in a week or so for a writing assignment. Between these two programs as well as additional book reports, history essays, etc., I feel as though we're covering writing fairly well.

Yvonne

We use both LLATL and Writing Tales. LLATL is very easy and I like the way it is set in units (Book Studies, Journal Writing, Research, Poetry). I love the way Writing Tales does grammar, but dd finds the writitng assignments repetitive. It does get a bit boring doing the same layout all year.