Menu

Our freezer's contents

creekland

Our two lads left yesterday/today - heading back to their new lives.  (The only bad thing about having a close family is always feeling down when they leave...)

Hubby and I set about to defrost our chest freezer.  It has never been done before and it was time.  We bought the thing sometime after moving to the farm, so something like 20 years ago.

The oldest thing we found were some jalapeno peppers hubby froze in 2000.  He and middle son are the only ones who eat them. They didn't. They're now compost.  Second oldest is about 6 slices of green pepper.  Someone (probably me) took most out over time and the few left fell down and never got noticed again.  They are now chicken feed.

Otherwise, we have a little bit of frozen deer left from 2011 and more from 2014-2015, then quite a few tomatoes, kale, broccoli, and green/yellow beans from 2013 to 2015 (for old stuff).

One can tell my non-picky eaters left home by 2012.  :lol:

All the new stuff is now at the bottom and hubby and I will be eating crock pot and steamed rice meals for quite some time testing out the older things to see if they're still edible and working our way up to 2017.

Interesting way to start the New Year for sure!  I wonder how much we'll get through.  Fortunately, we love tomato/veggie based crockpot meals with deer (and some lamb).  

Any thoughts on how some of these older veggies will do in our rice cooker?

I expect to get another trip out of our food budget savings!   :hurray:

What's the oldest thing you've ever found while cleaning a freezer?

• Like 3

What's the oldest thing you've ever found while cleaning a freezer?

We only have a small freezer cube on top of our fridge, and since the fridge uses a lot of electricity, we have always cleaned it out, defrosted, and switched off whenever we traveled for more than a month. So typically the freezer got emptied every summer.

No interesting finds.

I have to admit.....we defrost ours yearly and I toss anything that is more than a year old, freezer burnt, or growing ice crystals. IMHO...It is  Not worth saving $20 to eat mushy broccoli. LOL

ETA: since I know I am going to empty it, about 3 months ahead of time, we start eating the food up and don't replace the freezer staples (ie pizza, fruit for smoothies etc) until the work is done.   This really helps to keep us from having food that is over  a year old in there. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 4

I have to admit.....we defrost ours yearly and I toss anything that is more than a year old, freezer burnt, or growing ice crystals. IMHO...It is  Not worth saving $20 to eat mushy broccoli. LOL

ETA: since I know I am going to empty it, about 3 months ahead of time, we start eating the food up and don't replace the freezer staples (ie pizza, fruit for smoothies etc) until the work is done.   This really helps to keep us from having food that is over  a year old in there. 

Mushy?  We've eaten some older things in the past and I don't recall anything being mushy.  Once in a while something will get freezer burned and tossed, but that's pretty rare.

We keep our chest freezer for our garden veggies mostly (and deer when we used to harvest one or two per year for meat).  I don't like canned veggies, so we freeze our extras and eat them throughout winter.  When we had all three boys here nothing lasted that long (except those peppers obviously).  When the older two went to college, the amount we consumed dropped quite a bit.  Now that we're just empty nesting we need to change some habits or another.  We've already started giving away more from our garden to friends and folks at church.

Youngest son plans to start permaculture farming on our farm this summer.  He will need to sell things.  There will be way more than we can consume (assuming he's successful).

Frozen purchased food resides in the freezer attached to our fridge.  We went through that too and only had to toss some old freezer pops that no one eats anymore.  I think I had purchased those for a party years ago.  They were probably still good TBH, but... we really don't ever eat them.  Then there was one bag of frozen blueberries that I honestly don't recall purchasing.  I'm guessing we did it back when we used to make smoothies.  I'm unsure of whether to try them or give them to the chickens.

So, I was reading your dates and just kind of going     Ummmmmmm........ :lol:

In my FREEZER, I don't usually have stuff that old.  I usually clean out my freezer once a year or about 18 months or so.  I have plans for pretty much everything I put in my freezer, and if I just have a few things left out of a bag or whatever, I just pitch it.  I last cleaned out my freezer in August, just before we got our freezer beef (it won't all fit if I don't keep the freezer well organized) and except for some chicken stock I made in July I can say with confidence that nothing in my freezer is older than August at this point. 

Now, in my pantry, I cleaned it out again in December.  I STOCKED up on baking stuff and had to clean it out to organize it in order to fit the stockpile in.  I found pudding from 2010.  Which totally blew my mind, because we MOVED in 2014.  And I went spent a lot of time making sure I used up what we had, I was careful about the food we moved, and we moved very little food.  Really.  So I can't be sure if we actually moved this pudding, or if it was expired when we bought it and I just didn't check.  I admit that I don't usually check expire dates of things at the grocery store, but I also admit that when I worked at CVS, I wasn't as diligent as I should have been at rotating stock.  So it's possible that was expired when I bought it. 

In our pantry what goes old are almost always things hubby discovers and wants while we're shopping, telling me he'll eat them when I'm at school - then he never does.  We have cans of black/kidney beans, and a few spicy varieties of things.  Fortunately, it's not much.  I only consider canned foods out of date when they expand or look/smell bad.  So they're from 2012.  He can still eat them - someday.  I don't need to replace them while we still have some.  ;)

I've seen food that has expired in stores still for sale...  I tend to always look at dates.

My mom offered me some Apple turnovers a few weeks ago. I looked at them to check the date.......well, they EXPIRED in 1997. Needless to say we dumped them.

I'm with you on that one!  My youngest would have been one or two years of age when those expired.  He's a college senior now.  There is a limit on our willingness to be adventurous!

Mine's not too bad, but there IS a guinea pig in the garage freezer that passed a year ago and we forgot to bury last summer. RIP Ashley, and hang in there a few more months.

When I started reading your post I was wondering if you happened to be from South America (where guinea pigs are common food)...  It seems odd to put a deceased pet in the freezer, but I suppose when one needs to wait for a burial, there aren't many choices.

An owl died on our farm by flying into a tree once (at least - that's why we think it died - the opossum it was likely after died in a fall too, but the owl was in full flight still at death, so we think it died instantly from hitting the tree).  We called the Wildlife and Natural Resources teacher from our school to see if he wanted the body for his class.  He did - and got permission from the state (or feds?) to have it stuffed.  He asked us if we could put it into a freezer to preserve the body, but it was right after our summer harvest so there's no way it would fit.  He came to get it and put it in his freezer until he could get permission to take it to the taxidermist.

• Like 1

Well my mother purposely saved the very top of our wedding cake for 25 years in her freezer, and brought it out on our 25th anniversary. She gave all of our kids a small slice!  Of course it tasted terrible, but didn't hurt anybody, and all of our kids can claim that they had a piece of our wedding cake.  :)  

• Like 5

I defrost both my deep freezers every 1 1/2 years. I have some very odd things in them, a fox pelt (ds22) some rabbit heads (ds22) fish burley (ds20)

During wild dog and fox bounty time I can find up to a small garbage bag full of wild dog and fox parts of pelts. I insist that theyRe double bagged.

Can you guess that I have2 hunters.

• Like 2

We clean ours out about every 12 months, because we get a new pig and cow then, and there’s no way I can fit those in without a basically empty freezer. I haven’t found anything too old, but I do always find a couple of unlabeled homemade somethings that I stuck in there sure I would remember what they are. They are always edible, but I never know what I’ll be serving for dinner until it starts defrosting.

One thing that’s always in my freezer that never fails to startle my mom is a big bag of chicken feet. They can be startling if you aren’t looking for 10lbs of pokey toes!

• Like 1

I cleaned ours out during a nine day power outage this fall. I'm pleased to say that everything in there is fresh and useful; same for the fridge. :)

That would do it for me too!  I'd have no desire to check out the old stuff at at that point.   :lol:

Not particularly weird, but I have a giant thing of dry yeast that's been packed up tight in my freezer for ages now.  I should probably test it out.  I bought it when I was making bread every day, but I gave that up real quick, lol.

I wonder if it would still work...

We used to make bread in our early days too.  I never make it anymore.  It's far easier to just buy it.

We clean ours out about every 12 months, because we get a new pig and cow then, and there’s no way I can fit those in without a basically empty freezer. I haven’t found anything too old, but I do always find a couple of unlabeled homemade somethings that I stuck in there sure I would remember what they are. They are always edible, but I never know what I’ll be serving for dinner until it starts defrosting.

One thing that’s always in my freezer that never fails to startle my mom is a big bag of chicken feet. They can be startling if you aren’t looking for 10lbs of pokey toes!

Anything super yummy as your surprise dinner?  We've gotten pretty good at labeling and dating everything for similar reasons.

Well, this is interesting, because this is a task on my To Do list as well. I am mostly curious about how you will use your green and yellow beans because I have these, too. I know they are, well, pretty terrible alone (they are so flacid), but I have thought perhaps they could go in a soup or casserole (though I rarely make vegetable casseroles). I also have a bunch of frozen hot peppers and I don’t want to bother with those.

Well, this is interesting, because this is a task on my To Do list as well. I am mostly curious about how you will use your green and yellow beans because I have these, too. I know they are, well, pretty terrible alone (they are so flacid), but I have thought perhaps they could go in a soup or casserole (though I rarely make vegetable casseroles). I also have a bunch of frozen hot peppers and I don’t want to bother with those.

We use them pretty exclusively in crock pot stews and soups.  When they're fresh we'll eat them as a side, but once frozen (esp aged frozen) they do better as ingredients. Fresh frozen works to reheat as a side dish. We had our New Year's pork & sauerkraut yesterday (delayed due to boy's getting to pick final meals with us based upon their favorite dishes) and the beans make a great addition to that.  (Pork, potatoes, green/yellow beans, sauerkraut all cooked for 8 hours on low in our crockpot - yum!)

We add it to lamb and deer stews/soups too.  Those are tomato based with other beans/veggies added.

• Like 1

I have never defrosted mine.  It is 20 years old and has been moved twice without defrosting!  At this point, it is so old, I am afraid to even try it.

That said, my freezer has a predictable loading cycle.  We fill it over the summer and slowly empty it as we approach summer.  I am usually mapping out my garden plans in March each year so I take a detailed "mid-year" inventory of the freezer contents to see what I seem to be using up and what rates.  I keep a spreadsheet and track use metrics over the years....because I am *that* sick.  If I see that I have way too many beans, I adjust the garden plan.  Or not enough blueberries, I know to plan to hit the patches on opening day that year.  So at that time, I take notes and meal plan to use up certain items.  I am usually down to just about nothing by the time summer produce is available.  I will use berries up to two years old but all other produce only up to one year.  I really never have to toss anything.  I take another inventory at the end of the summer to get final counts on the new content.  That is when I will snag anything from the previous year and use it up.

I also store bulk grains and veggie stock scraps in the freezer so even as it is approaching empty of produce, it is being filled with veggie scraps.  I also stash ice from our ice maker as we approach summer to fill the freezer (making it more efficient) and o have cooler ice on hand for camping and the beach.

Green beans are OK on their own for the first half of the winter but by February, I only use them in soups, casseroles, and stir fry.

Edited by skimomma
  • Like 1

I have never defrosted mine.  It is 20 years old and has been moved twice without defrosting!  At this point, it is so old, I am afraid to even try it.

That said, my freezer has a predictable loading cycle.  We fill it over the summer and slowly empty it as we approach summer.  I am usually mapping out my garden plans in March each year so I take a detailed "mid-year" inventory of the freezer contents to see what I seem to be using up and what rates.  I keep a spreadsheet and track use metrics over the years....because I am *that* sick.  If I see that I have way too many beans, I adjust the garden plan.  Or not enough blueberries, I know to plan to hit the patches on opening day that year.  So at that time, I take notes and meal plan to use up certain items.  I am usually down to just about nothing by the time summer produce is available.  I will use berries up to two years old but all other produce only up to one year.  I really never have to toss anything.  I take another inventory at the end of the summer to get final counts on the new content.  That is when I will snag anything from the previous year and use it up.

I also store bulk grains and veggie stock scraps in the freezer so even as it is approaching empty of produce, it is being filled with veggie scraps.  I also stash ice from our ice maker as we approach summer to fill the freezer (making it more efficient) and o have cooler ice on hand for camping and the beach.

Green beans are OK on their own for the first half of the winter but by February, I only use them in soups, casseroles, and stir fry.

My engineering hubby would love your system!  My Type B self thinks it's a great idea, but not one I could personally do.

Fortunately for us, just having the lads at home helped it all work out in our early days.  Then they left for college (sigh).

I fully agree with your assessment of green/yellow bean use after freezing.  It's why all of our "older" veggies will be mainly used in the crockpot - and if not good for that - then chicken feed.  Two of us just don't eat the same amounts the 5/4 of us did for some reason or another.  ;)

Oldest thing, the day after Christmas I used the smoked turkey from 2011 along with stock that was canned at the same time.  I did trim off the sides that looked a tiny bit freezer burned. It had the skin on, so that got tossed too, but overall it was fine. However, my brain questioned it still. It wasn't bad and honestly tasted fine but I still knew how old it was -- the rest of my family enjoyed it mored than I did, they didn't know. 

Next up is some beef from 2015 that we're finishing up; we will be having roast tomorrow from it. This beef has never tasted all that great so it's taken me a long time to get through the larger "fancier" cuts - cuts where you're really just eating the meat as in (versus ground beef that gets cooked with other bold flavors) and the flavor will be more obvious. 

I really should defrost mine right now - we always say we are going to do so in the winter, when we can toss everything outside and just let the freezer take it's time defrosting versus me doing the accelerated method. But honestly, with as cold as my house and mudroom are, I think that could take days right now.  Maybe I'll give DH this task for the weekend as long as the wet vac is working -- managing all the water is also a pain.

Edited by xixstar
  • Like 1

My mom offered me some Apple turnovers a few weeks ago. I looked at them to check the date.......well, they EXPIRED in 1997. Needless to say we dumped them.

Mine's not too bad, but there IS a guinea pig in the garage freezer that passed a year ago and we forgot to bury last summer. RIP Ashley, and hang in there a few more months.

Those of us who do not have separate freezers miss all this drama. I am rethinking my thought of getting a chest freezer, lol.

I understan that frostless freezers like mine cycle warmer and cooler temps, so I don't keep much. Trader Joe's frozen food is usually gone in less than a week, ditto frozen veggies. I don't buy frozen unless I know I will be eating it during the upcoming week. So my freezer is more like a way station than a storage depot.

The only exceptions are 20-30 lbs of butter that I buy when Land o' Lakes is on sale at half price. And multiple packages of Trader Joe's puff pastry, which is only in stock for a few weeks each year.

I did a freezer inventory yesterday, mostly because the freezer is pretty empty and I need to do a Costco run this weekend. Anyway, the oldest thing in there is a bunch of film from when dh used to shoot a film camera and develop it himself. He's been all digital for at least 10 years. Food-wise there is some curry powder my SIL brought me from Malaysia probably 8-10 years ago. She brought back several huge bags and I think I'm still on my second. I've got to find another recipe that uses it--I was using it for Singapore Noodles but decided the ones I buy from a Chinese restaurant are much better than mine and I haven't made any in ages.

I try to use things within a year. I freeze enough blueberries to see us through a year (18-20 quart bags), and I make sure I use up all of one year before starting another. I have 14 bags right now, so plenty to last until July.

• Like 1

When my parents moved last month, they threw away the top tier from their wedding cake.  It was still in their chest freezer in the basement.  They got married in 1965.

Wow.

My mom saved and froze he top their of my wedding cake for our one year anniversary.  It didn't taste good after just one year.  I cannot imagine 50+ years!  Who goes 50+ years without a power outage or freezer failure?

• Like 1

We had African dwarf frogs in the freezer for some time for the same reason.  We learned our lesson and when the hamster passed last November we disposed of that in the neighbouring dumpster.  

And what is with all the beans?  I also have a plethora of green beans that were blanched and frozen from the garden in my freezer.  I'd like to use them up but struggle to figure out how to do so.  There are ideas upthread but I absolutely suck at figuring things out cooking wise and need actual links to actual recipes.  

1997 - found packages of walnuts from 1988 at the bottom of the freezer.  We picked our own from a friend's tree growing up and shelled buckets full each year, which were then put into freezer storage bags and used throughout the winter.

Fact 1. I hate walnuts.  I'm not sure if it's the years of eating so many or the actual taste, but I hate walnuts.

Fact 2. The bags were declared still good (they weren't) and attempted to be used.  The homemade jam found in the pantry from the year earlier was discarded summarily, because even the rest of the family's iron stomachs weren't going to touch that one.  Especially since that was the year that we had one.flavor.jam. and 20 jars of it. 

I really should defrost mine right now - we always say we are going to do so in the winter, when we can toss everything outside and just let the freezer take it's time defrosting versus me doing the accelerated method. But honestly, with as cold as my house and mudroom are, I think that could take days right now.  Maybe I'll give DH this task for the weekend as long as the wet vac is working -- managing all the water is also a pain.

We have an advantage that ours in in our basement and that has a cement floor + automatic sump pump, so no real melting issues.  Otherwise, we did it during this cold snap on purpose.  We've forgotten other winters - or just plain ignored it.  This time I wanted to get some beans for our pork and sauerkraut and decided on the spot that "someday in the winter" was going to be that day.  It worked out nicely since hubby was still semi-off work due to middle son leaving that morning.

When my parents moved last month, they threw away the top tier from their wedding cake.  It was still in their chest freezer in the basement.  They got married in 1965.

I'm thinking this is likely to win the "oldest" contest.  Like a pp, I'm wondering how their freezer has lasted that long!

Anyway, the oldest thing in there is a bunch of film from when dh used to shoot a film camera and develop it himself. He's been all digital for at least 10 years. 

Film was stored in a freezer?  I might be able to mark this off on my "learn something new everyday" list!

And what is with all the beans?  I also have a plethora of green beans that were blanched and frozen from the garden in my freezer.  I'd like to use them up but struggle to figure out how to do so.  There are ideas upthread but I absolutely suck at figuring things out cooking wise and need actual links to actual recipes.  

I add what I think will go well in our stock pot.  It's usually lamb or deer, then tomatoes, onions, celery, the string beans, some form of soaked overnight beans, mushrooms, and maybe hard boiled egg.  Then I look online to get some spice ideas.  With lamb we always use curry because we love it. Sometimes we add other spices too if they smell good.  With deer it could be garlic or oregano or some similar mix.  I've used Mrs. Dash spices before too and that turns out nicely.

I don't use a specific recipe for stock pot food.

1997 - found packages of walnuts from 1988 at the bottom of the freezer.  We picked our own from a friend's tree growing up and shelled buckets full each year, which were then put into freezer storage bags and used throughout the winter.

Fact 1. I hate walnuts.  I'm not sure if it's the years of eating so many or the actual taste, but I hate walnuts.

Fact 2. The bags were declared still good (they weren't) and attempted to be used.  The homemade jam found in the pantry from the year earlier was discarded summarily, because even the rest of the family's iron stomachs weren't going to touch that one.  Especially since that was the year that we had one.flavor.jam. and 20 jars of it. 

I think I'm missing something from Fact 2.  Did they turn the walnuts into some sort of jam?  Or just use the jam with it?  Or totally unrelated?  I love walnuts, but I'm not sure about putting them with jam except when making my grandmother's old Christmas cookie recipe...  I can't fathom using walnuts that old though.  They definitely go stale over time.

Film was stored in a freezer?  I might be able to mark this off on my "learn something new everyday" list!

Oh yeah. Film has an expiration date and you can greatly extend it if you freeze it. Still, I think dh is probably pushing it--some must be 20 years old. I doubt he'll shoot film again but so far he hasn't wanted to get rid of it.

• Like 1

Wow.

My mom saved and froze he top their of my wedding cake for our one year anniversary.  It didn't taste good after just one year.  I cannot imagine 50+ years!  Who goes 50+ years without a power outage or freezer failure?

The power went out many times over the years.  The freezer, however, was amazing and never did quit working.  It had been my grandparents' freezer and they died in 1962 and had had it many years by then.  They didn't even consider trying it after all that time.

• Like 1

My mother was ill for an extended period of time, so I was cooking for them. I knew she had blackberries in the freezer, so I had her give them to me to make them a cobbler. As it turned out, the berries were so old, they were just mushed in ice, sort of disintegrated. I didn't know berries would do that, but maybe they had a partial thaw and the enzymes started working. Anyway, I purchased berries, they got their cobbler, and they still don't know it wasn't their freezer berries.

My mother was ill for an extended period of time, so I was cooking for them. I knew she had blackberries in the freezer, so I had her give them to me to make them a cobbler. As it turned out, the berries were so old, they were just mushed in ice, sort of disintegrated. I didn't know berries would do that, but maybe they had a partial thaw and the enzymes started working. Anyway, I purchased berries, they got their cobbler, and they still don't know it wasn't their freezer berries.

Those would definitely have been tossed to the chickens.  I bet they'd taste better as eggs.  ;)

• Like 1