Menu

The Tale of Desperaux...Ugh!

Am I the only one out there who really didn't like this book? I picked it up to pre-read because I was thinking of reading it to my boys but what a major disappointment. The themes were disturbing, to say the least: rejection by family leading to banishment and probable death, physical abuse which leads to physical deformity, murderous plots. A little bravery at the end just couldn't save this book for me. I see that it won the Newberry Award but I just didn't get it.

I also didn't realize that it was being made into a major motion picture but I would be very curious to see how they "change" the plot so it's more mainstream. I think I'll be skipping that as well.

I loved both. They weren't all hearts and roses, but I thought they were very well written. The words she chose just melted on the tongue....they were both excellent read-alouds. I thought they dealt with the tough subjects of life in a way that didn't shock the kids and leave them reeling. I'm very careful what I read to the kids. There are many things I'd rather them not know about yet, but there are many things they can't help but know about. I thought the books did a good job of tackling some of those harsh facts of reality while not giving up hope or compromising our character for them.

I didn't care for "Edward" near as much as Desperaux, but it had me bawling like a baby. I was wondering if it was such a good idea when we reached the (*SPOILER*) part with the little girl dying.....but the kids' reactions were very mature. There were some tears and clearing throats, but they really wanted to know what happened next. At the end of the book, we were all left with a satisfied sigh....the story had come full circle. The lesson of loving others selflessly was cemented in their minds. Not the most cheerful of reads, but worth it.

Because??
Because of its unrelenting punishment and the abject misery of the main character. Because of its over-the-top attempts to emotionally manipulate the reader. Because the Rabbit never once had a choice. Because to not love is far from the worst sin portrayed in the book. When you don't love you miss out something essential, and that the ability to love was literally bludgeoned into the main character goes against everything I believe about love.

Edited to add: This refers to Tulane, not Despereaux. I rather liked Despereaux.

Edited by nmoira

Wow, Tale of Despereaux is one of my all time favorite books. Yes, it has heartbreak and cruelty, but that is contrasted against loyalty, bravery, self-sacrifice, redemption, love, honor, forgiveness, healing... She even names a character "chiaroscuro" and tells children what it means -- the darkness that lets us see the light.

And yeah, some characters aren't redeemed. And some aren't redeemed in the way they *imagine* they will be.

But truly, I think it's so beautiful and profound...

The audiobook version is fantastically well done as well. The reader is just phenomenal.

Edited to add:

BTW, the trailer looks *nothing* like the book. The animation looks pretty, but the trailers indicate that the theme of the story is like every other computer animated movie ever made...

Edited by abbeyej

Wow, Tale of Despereaux is one of my all time favorite books. Yes, it has heartbreak and cruelty, but that is contrasted against loyalty, bravery, self-sacrifice, redemption, love, honor, forgiveness, healing... She even names a character "chiaroscuro" and tells children what it means -- the darkness that lets us see the light.

And yeah, some characters aren't redeemed. And some aren't redeemed in the way they *imagine* they will be.

But truly, I think it's so beautiful and profound...

The audiobook version is fantastically well done as well. The reader is just phenomenal.

Edited to add:

BTW, the trailer looks *nothing* like the book. The animation looks pretty, but the trailers indicate that the theme of the story is like every other computer animated movie ever made...

:iagree:

We are scheduled to read The Tale of Despereaux for literature later this year, but after reading this thread and reading elsewhere about the plot of the book, I have decided that it's not for us at this time. Can anyone suggest another book we could read in its place?

Tara

I loved both. They weren't all hearts and roses, but I thought they were very well written. The words she chose just melted on the tongue....they were both excellent read-alouds. I thought they dealt with the tough subjects of life in a way that didn't shock the kids and leave them reeling. I'm very careful what I read to the kids. There are many things I'd rather them not know about yet, but there are many things they can't help but know about. I thought the books did a good job of tackling some of those harsh facts of reality while not giving up hope or compromising our character for them.

I didn't care for "Edward" near as much as Desperaux, but it had me bawling like a baby. I was wondering if it was such a good idea when we reached the (*SPOILER*) part with the little girl dying.....but the kids' reactions were very mature. There were some tears and clearing throats, but they really wanted to know what happened next. At the end of the book, we were all left with a satisfied sigh....the story had come full circle. The lesson of loving others selflessly was cemented in their minds. Not the most cheerful of reads, but worth it.

We haven't read Desperaux, but I made dh read the part you're talking about. I just couldn't not cry. I really liked Edward Tulane--I loved the way it was written and the words, too.

I listend to both in the car, with my kids riding along. I suspect they did not catch everything, but I enjoyed both.

I wish I could recommend an alternate. Try asking your local public librarian. Our system has a database you can access through the online catalog called NoveList that can help find similar books the title you have in mind.

One idea I've read in discussions about children's literature (can't find reference at the moment), is that the time for a child to read about characters dealing with difficult, real life problems is before he or she child may experience them. Favorite or well-remembered stories provide an internal narrative for children to use when they might experience hardship or difficulties on their own. Think of some of your favorite books or stories. What did the main character have to overcome? Did this story every inspire you later in life or perhaps is it a book you retreat to when you need encouragement or regroup?

Stories of characters who face adverisity, but keep going, find some sort of resolution, teach that their are ways to solve problems, but it might not always be easy and there may be consequences to your solution.

Just my two cents. :tongue_smilie:

I listend to both in the car, with my kids riding along. I suspect they did not catch everything, but I enjoyed both.

I wish I could recommend an alternate. Try asking your local public librarian. Our system has a database you can access through the online catalog called NoveList that can help find similar books the title you have in mind.

One idea I've read in discussions about children's literature (can't find reference at the moment), is that the time for a child to read about characters dealing with difficult, real life problems is before he or she child may experience them. Favorite or well-remembered stories provide an internal narrative for children to use when they might experience hardship or difficulties on their own. Think of some of your favorite books or stories. What did the main character have to overcome? Did this story every inspire you later in life or perhaps is it a book you retreat to when you need encouragement or regroup?

Stories of characters who face adverisity, but keep going, find some sort of resolution, teach that their are ways to solve problems, but it might not always be easy and there may be consequences to your solution.

Just my two cents. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Do we avoid "The Secret Garden" or "A Little Princess" or the more disturbing fairy tales because there are cruel and dark characters and themes? Or can those be an opportunity for a child to see strength of character in the face of adversity, in a way a bit more distant from their real life circumstances. I personally think most modern children's literature *is* disturbing, because it tries to make the story something that real children already face--divorce, bullying, etc. The realism of the storyline doesn't allow for the separation that DiCamillo (and the better children's writers before her) offer.

Hmm, I haven't read it, but I asked DD about it. She read it a few years ago. She says its no different than (her words) "most kids books".

She, and lots of other kids I think, enjoys the books with lots of depressign things that happen to the main characters. Look at children's literature, and many, many books involve orphans, motherless children, children in terrible boarding schools, etc. Kids dig it. It allows them to imagine the possibilities of frightening things without experiencing it themselves- sort of a facing of fears. I think every child's worst fear is being parent-less, and these books are ways to approach that fear.

In fact, I always thought Lemony Snicket's books are the over the top satire of this phenomenon. Aren't they??

We listened to it on audibook last year. And we read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane this year. I love Kate Di Camillo's artistry with words. These two books make for wonderful read-alouds. The reader of the audiobook did a fabulous job. I know there were serious, heavy themes in both books, and that the latter did seem excessively sorrowful and excrutiatingly hopeless at not a few points in it's development. But ultimately we loved them both, and I look forward to reading more from her in the future. I don't necessarily anticipate the release of the movie based on The Tale of Despereaux, simply because I know how Hollywood has a habit of mutilating wonderful literature. But, we will probably go see it anyway.

I took it out of the library solely because we saw previews for the upcoming movie of Despereaux and it looked fun. To be honest, and this is a first, the movie clips spoiled the book for us. They are very, very different, and I was looking forward to the kind of story the movie looks like it's going to be.

Well written, but dark. Not all stories are going to be light and/or have endings where everyone is totally redeemed/punished. It wasn't my favourite tale.

So, all you literary Despereaux lovers be forewarned: the movie is going to be very different.

I just checked our library's database page and they have NoveList. I'll poke around on there. Thanks for the suggestion. I think that I am going to read The Saturdays in place of Despereaux. I'm not opposed to dark books on principle, but my kids are very affected by things that happen to animals. I have not read them Charlotte's Web yet because I know from past experience that animal misfortune provokes weeks of tears in our house.

Tar

I think Desperaux is brilliant. I wouldn't read it to anyone younger than 8, tho, and I did grimace a bit at the violent parts (not violent--I mean the parts that talk about abuse).

The best parts, for me, were about Chiaroscuro--about how some hearts that have been hurt don't heal right. I find it true in my own life, and honestly, we read the book at a time that I really needed the profound messages it gives.

I do like timeless themes in fairy-tale form, and I think her word choice was lovely and touching; she is a poet who writes prose. But dd thought it was just ok. So, to me, it's written on two levels, and that's why it succeeds.

I didn't love it when I read it, but I think the audiobook is amazing- one of my favorites ever.

Yes, the audiobook is wonderful! My DH and I still quote from it.

I think we enjoyed it more than the kids though. I think we'll revisit the book in a few years when they can understand it better.

I have to say that my son has different tastes than I do. I couldn't stand Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, but my non-avid reader has read this--the ANNOTATED version--at least 5 times. He liked Desperaux a lot. It was "meh" for me, but he loved it. He was a little older than yours when I read it to him, though...10?

Oooh, I loved Alice too as a child. :) I had the (unabridged) cassettes with Christopher Plummer reading it, and I listened over and over and over and over... I'd draw and listen to Alice. :) When I was a little older, I too had the annotated version. Funny, I haven't read it to my kids yet (though dd read it to herself some time last year).

We are scheduled to read The Tale of Despereaux for literature later this year, but after reading this thread and reading elsewhere about the plot of the book, I have decided that it's not for us at this time. Can anyone suggest another book we could read in its place?

What about The Rescuers by Margery Sharp? It's been a while since I read it, but it's a little lighter, isn't it? The Tale of Desperaux reminded me of The Rescuers. edited to add: both books are about mice on a mission!

I have The Rescuers, Miss Bianca, The Turret, and Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines.

Edited by gardening momma

It was supposed to be this great book, so I was excited to read it. Man, was I disappointed. It's been ages since I read it, but I distinctly remember reading it and wondering why people thought it was so great. It was probably well written, but I just thought it dark, sad, not the kind of thing I like to read.