Menu

Food that makes it feel like Christmas

Elizabeth86

What is it for you?

A tin of 3 flavors of popcorn? A box of chocolate covered cherries? A tin of dansih cookies, is that what they are called? A stick of summer sausage? A bag of mixed nuts? What store bought goodie do you always have at Christmas?

Each of us have out favorites, but all 5 of us have to have a tin of popcorn.

• Like 2

peppermint bark.

I have ZERO control around that stuff. Especially the kind with milk chocolate in one layer, and then the peppermint bark. ZERO. NONE. 

I was literally and actually walking through Walmart yesterday chanting quietly, "I do not need peppermint bark. I do not need peppermint bark." Because once I buy it I will eat all of it at once. YUM. 

• Like 3

What is it for you?

A tin of 3 flavors of popcorn? A box of chocolate covered cherries? A tin of dansih cookies, is that what they are called? A stick of summer sausage? A bag of mixed nuts? What store bought goodie do you always have at Christmas?

Each of us have out favorites, but all 5 of us have to have a tin of popcorn.

fruitcake and fudge  (we have great recipes - and NO marshmallow creme! blech.)  and christmas cookies.

I also found dilettante chocolates have the *real* frango recipe!  (through a series of store failures and take overs - Macy's now has the name trademark - but they've drastically changed the recipe.   and even in seattle where they originated, the frango's they sell are icky.  - I even did a blind taste test one year. NO ONE preferred the frango's.)

costco gets the mint "truffles" in with their christmas stuff - but amazon carries them.   not all costcos do, as my dd in tx didnt have have them.

fruitcake and fudge (we have great recipes - and NO marshmallow creme! blech.) and christmas cookies.

I also found dilettante chocolates have the *real* frango recipe! (through a series of store failures and take overs - Macy's now has the name trademark - but they've drastically changed the recipe. and even in seattle where they originated, the frango's they sell are icky. - I even did a blind taste test one year. NO ONE preferred the frango's.)

costco gets the mint "truffles" in with their christmas stuff - but amazon carries them. not all costcos do, as my dd in tx didnt have have them.

Do you have a link? Buying real Frango’s at the State Street Marshall Field’s all decorated for Christmas was always fun. And so yummy!

• Like 1

Band cheese and sausage (the high school band used to sell Mr. Z's cheese and sausage around the holidays, and I have a major craving for it each year as it starts to get cold). Hickory Farms isn't the same. Peanut brittle (my grandfather loved it, and only got it around Christmas. Divinity.

gingerbread cookies

rolled and cut butter cookies

Italian lemon ricotta cookies

marzipan

stollen

Christmas pudding (aka plum pudding)

Buche de Noel (chocolate log cake)

Lindt chocolate Santas

Jordan almonds

mince tarts

fruitcake with marzipan on top

roast goose (rare for us, $$$)

roast beef with Yorkshire pudding and gravy and horseradish cream

big platter of cheeses and pates (our brunch)

chestnuts

clementines

eggnog

mulled cider

almost forgot candy canes!

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1