Menu

Sick and planning a netflix binge...

Ann.without.an.e

When I was sick last weekend I binge watched the first season of "The Good Place."

The Good Place is excellent and if you have Hulu they're running season 2 as it comes out.

I like mysteries so 

Father Brown, Agatha Christie, Death in Paradise, Midsomer Murders, Shetland, Sherlock, Mindhunter,  The Five

If mystery is not your thing....

Call the Midwife, Fraiser, Friends, How I Met Your Mother (I just don't watch the last episode)

I love sci-fi

Dark Matter, Star Trek: Enterprise or Voyager.

• Like 2

I am honestly surprised at the number of recs for Call the Midwife.  I think I've seen this show listed on netflix but didn't think anyone watched it IRL.  I imagined it kind of like the Duggar show (which I have never watched).  now I have to admit I have no idea what it is.

Edited by Attolia

I am honestly surprised at the number of recs for Call the Midwife.  I think I've seen this show listed on netflix but didn't think anyone watched it IRL.  I imagined it kind of like the Duggar show (which I have never watched).  now I have to admit I have no idea what it is.

Call the Midwife is about midwives in London after WW2, after the NHS was established.  The midwives in the show reside in a convent (Church of England). Some of the midwives are sisters but the rest are not.

The show has little plot, it's about the characters and the times.  There are stories, but they take a back seat.  It's a lovely show to sit and relax and watch.  I always feel happy after watching it.:)  

If I were sick and didn't have a lot of brain power I would go for Grace and Frankie.  I loved that and watched both seasons twice.  Excellent characters and such sharp writing.

I also love Unbreakable Kimmy Schmitt, Stanger Things, and Masters of None

How I Met Your Mother, Parks and Recs, The Good Place (best comedy currently on tv!) are also all great shows.   

I am honestly surprised at the number of recs for Call the Midwife. I think I've seen this show listed on netflix but didn't think anyone watched it IRL. I imagined it kind of like the Duggar show (which I have never watched). now I have to admit I have no idea what it is.

The show is based on books of the same name. Such a good show and great books.

Nothing like the Duggars!!!

• Like 3

The Mystic Masseur  (Merchant Ivory production) ...   We saw it as a Netflix DVD because my ds is reading another book by the author, and seeing a movie helped to get a feeling for Trinidad life of the time.  But I think the movie fits depth, not shallow, and yet is not heavy and would be good for a time when sick.  

I love Call the Midwife. Just beware that if you’ve ever had a traumatic birth or pregnancy, some episodes may hit hard. (The memoirs are quite good reads as well and are heavily reflected in the first season.)

It took me about a season and a half to get grabbed by The Blacklist. It’s a little gory sometimes. And then I got hooked and binged through the rest of the seasons and then rewatched all four seasons straight through pretty quickly. It’s good.

If you like crime drama, Crossing Jordan had excellent characters and witty dialogue and was interesting without being too gory most of the time.

White Collar is crime drama but not gory. It’s also funny and quirky and clever and a ton of fun.

People who like Wallander, Hinterland, and Shetland, have you seen Broadchurch? 

For something deep, Nobel comes to mind.  "A series of incidents in Afghanistan set complicated political and personal events in motion for a returning Norwegian Special Forces officer."  In Norwegian. 

We've enjoyed a couple of French series that had character depth:  Witnesses and The Tunnel.  The Tunnel is on Amazon, not Netflix.