Menu

This is Us

sangtarah

I love it too but I'm not sure Jack's confession to being an alcoholic was believable. Yes, he probably was drunk at that time but his behavior throughout the first season was consistent; there were never any indications that he had a drinking problem. Did I miss something?

There were several indications he had a problem in season one. If nothing else, the night he was out with his BFF and came home to his wife telling him she'd had enough.

• Like 2

There were several indications he had a problem in season one. If nothing else, the night he was out with his BFF and came home to his wife telling him she'd had enough.

I thought he had reconciled that and was sober; his strength was a foundation of his character. He had chosen his family over alcohol.

This new twist just breaks my heart.

I thought he had reconciled that and was sober; his strength was a foundation of his character. He had chosen his family over alcohol.

Yes and no. He chose his family over alcohol but he seems to respond to marital stress with alcohol. "Oh she doesn't love me anymore so I'm going to drown my sorrow." He is one of those alcoholics who uses good relationships like AA to keep their addiction in line. Problem is, even fabulous relationships with amazing loving people have bad times. And when that happens, the alcoholic suddenly has an excuse to drink. I haven't watched the new season yet. But the arch for this scenario was well fore-shadowed in season 1.

• Like 1

I'm bummed it's not on Netflix. It's my only way to watch shows, no TV reception here

You can watch the previous episodes on the NBC app (1st 3 shows are free). It is also on Hulu. I signed up for a free month, watched all the episodes and then cancelled. I assume you can probably watch the current episodes on the NBC app for a limited time as well.
  • Like 2

I agree.

I believe he also struggled with alcohol prior to having children and having children is part of what sobered him up. The relapse was hinted at although not focused on before his wife said she had enough.

You can watch the previous episodes on the NBC app (1st 3 shows are free). It is also on Hulu. I signed up for a free month, watched all the episodes and then cancelled. I assume you can probably watch the current episodes on the NBC app for a limited time as well.

Hmm, hulu we could do.

I assume nbc only has recent episodes?

I've heard really good things about it.

Maybe I'll just wait until theres's like 8 seasons and watch them all then ;)

• Like 1

Hmm, hulu we could do.

I assume nbc only has recent episodes?

I've heard really good things about it.

Maybe I'll just wait until theres's like 8 seasons and watch them all then ;)

They had season one a few weeks back. However you can only watch 3 episodes for free, then you have to pay.

I think it would be too emotionally intense to binge watch the whole first season, just my 2 cents.

Each episode is designed to make me laugh AND cry, and utterly relate to the Struggles.

I, too, am not a big TV watcher (I like Madam Secretary, too) . . . but wouldn't miss this!

ETA = NBC.com link:   https://www.nbc.com/this-is-us/episodes

Edited by Beth S

I think it would be too emotionally intense to binge watch the whole first season, just my 2 cents.

Each episode is designed to make me laugh AND cry, and utterly relate to the Struggles.

I, too, am not a big TV watcher (I like Madam Secretary, too) . . . but wouldn't miss this!

ETA = NBC.com link: https://www.nbc.com/this-is-us/episodes

It was intense! I watched over the course of a week when I was laid up anyway though.

Our family related quite a bit to this show as my 3 are adopted (but same race). When we had a foster teen he also loved the show and it really opened up a lot of dialog.

I laugh, I cry, I relate. Seriously, other than Michigan State football (and only because a family friend plays) this is the ONLY show I watch.

• Like 1

I binge watched season 1 a few weeks ago and now am caught up and started season 2.  Wow!  Very good, my neighbor says she cries every time, I am not super sensitive and do cry at things and have found this sad, but haven't really shed any tears over it.  It's so realistic though and I know these things happen in life.