Menu

Help my kids fall in love with Seattle, WA

lauraw4321

We are moving to Seattle in a couple of months. My oldest DD, in particular, is very upset. We are going out there Labor Day weekend so that they can see the place and we can look for housing. 

I was thinking Pike Place Market, the ferris wheel and maybe the zoo? Any better ideas? TIA.

• Like 1

Pop onto the ferry over to Bainbridge Island or even the little one to west Seattle.  You can walk on and just explore around the ferry landing a little bit.  Then back over. Being on the water does it for me.  

Go to a Mariner game -- I just checked and they're playing the A's that weekend.  

If you're coming from a smaller town and that's what concerns your daughter, we have our big annual county fair that weekend -- two hours east on I-90. It's a smaller college town with a great vibe and we'll be hopping those few days.  

Hit up the park at Green Lake.  Does she like zoos?  Woodland Park Zoo.  Or aquariums?  Seattle Aquarium on the waterfront (walkable from the market).  If you go to the market, make sure to see the gum wall just outside to the south (gross but makes kids laugh). 

• Like 2

I would look for things that you'll be able to do regularly once you live there.

Yep. When we moved from Oregon to Pennsylvania, we told the kids about all the cool places/areas around the area.  But once those are done - how often are  you going to go up the Space Needle? - they still need "regular" places to go, things to do. 

What kind of places do they like in your hometown?   Look for those places.  Are they library kids?  I've never been, but I have the impression that Seattle's main branch is wonderful.   Bookstores?  Playground parks?   The beach?  (Yeah I know the water's cold! :-) )  

I will though recommend the science center, if they like that sort of thing.  It's been years, but my kids loved it, and if we'd lived there we would have gotten a membership so they could visit at their hearts' content all year long.   That may give them something to look forward to in the move.  

• Like 4

Approaching this from another point of view: it's worthwhile giving people space and means to mourn the old home.  When we moved across the world, we first made photo books for the boys about everything that they had loved about their old home: people, places, events.  We gave them the books before we left and made sure that they didn't get packed away.  During sad moments, they used to get their photo books out - it helped them to leave without feeling that they had lost their pasts or had them dismissed.

• Like 12

Yep. When we moved from Oregon to Pennsylvania, we told the kids about all the cool places/areas around the area.  But once those are done - how often are  you going to go up the Space Needle? - they still need "regular" places to go, things to do. 

What kind of places do they like in your hometown?   Look for those places.  Are they library kids?  I've never been, but I have the impression that Seattle's main branch is wonderful.   Bookstores?  Playground parks?   The beach?  (Yeah I know the water's cold! :-) )  

I will though recommend the science center, if they like that sort of thing.  It's been years, but my kids loved it, and if we'd lived there we would have gotten a membership so they could visit at their hearts' content all year long.   That may give them something to look forward to in the move.  

The King County Library System is one of the best in the country. I lived in the Seattle-area (bellevue and Newcatle) for 14 years before we moved to the Austin-area and I still miss the KCLS library system.

• Like 3

Approaching this from another point of view: it's worthwhile giving people space and means to mourn the old home.  When we moved across the world, we first made photo books for the boys about everything that they had loved about their old home: people, places, events.  We gave them the books before we left and made sure that they didn't get packed away.  During sad moments, they used to get their photo books out - it helped them to leave without feeling that they had lost their pasts or had them dismissed.

This is a great idea. The good news is that we are keeping our house because we plan to return to where we are now within the next 3 years. That seems to be lessening the blow a bit.

• Like 5

Spend an afternoon in poulsbo and get a viking cup at Sluy's.

https://goo.gl/images/BhgUxe

Seattle is super spread out. There are always places to go wherever you are, but things aren't necessarily close together.

The arboretum is great. Besides vikiibg cups, there are lots of great places to get any kind of food you can want. The zoo is a good one.

If you know what city you are going to live in find a cool park. We have some amazing parks. We didnt have time to do it this summer but ladt year we had park week and explored a new park every day. My boys said it was the best week of the summer.

Also hiking, lots of wonderful places to hike. Go to Lake washington and play on the lake for an afternoon.

• Like 1

Why don't they want to move to begin with? Is it just the idea of moving or do they have a problem with Seattle in general? What about where you are now do they love?

I personally couldn't convince a person living in Portland and loving it out there to stay. I grew up out there and HATED it. However Seattle for a short period of time can be wonderful. 3 years to me is a short period of time. I would emphasize that. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

The Space Needle is a good idea. The aquarium is also a good idea. 

But don't try to cram all sorts of touristy things into your trip. Find out what the locals do on their days off.

Are you moving there because of your or hubby's job? Ask the future boss what s/he recommends. Maybe

do a combination of a tourist attraction and a bbq with the future boss if possible. 

On a side note, depending on where you're moving from, you may need to invest in a light box to help

with SAD (seasonal affective disorder). While the topography in the PNW (Pacific Northwest) is beautiful, 

that comes at the price of way more grey days than sunny. That can really get to a person who is used to 

more sunny days than grey. 

• Like 1

We are moving to Seattle in a couple of months. My oldest DD, in particular, is very upset. We are going out there Labor Day weekend so that they can see the place and we can look for housing. 

I was thinking Pike Place Market, the ferris wheel and maybe the zoo? Any better ideas? TIA.

when looking for house - commutes are measured in time, NOT miles.  consider availability of parking. 

pike place market has some shops kids might find interesting.  there is one they can watch cheese being made.  for the most part - we avoid it like the plague.   tourist trap central.   if you want the view - there are better ones than the space needle.  (if you really want to do it, go up for breakfast.)  columbia center has an observation deck.  or kerry park on queen anne hill.   sunset park above shilshoe.

what are their interests?  you want to show them things they'll be able to engage in doing on a regular basis.   and there is more than can possibly be exposed to in a week.

there are lots of places for hiking, museums - from science to art to specialities

if you go along the water front - ye olde curiosity shoppe.  i adored it as a child.   (hit ivar's on the waterfront for fish and chips.  feed the seagulls french fries. -yes, it's legal.) then go on a ferry boat ride, and be out in the front deck. (in the middle, you are protected from the wind).  bremerton is longer.   either boat if you walk on, you can get off the other end and walk around.  more to do in bremerton close to the dock.  naval shipyards.  cool park next to the dock.   ?bangor?  has an underwater naval museum.  (you'd have to drive)

if they like avaiation - museum of flight  (boeing field in south seattle. dudeling would rather puruse the naval section.  1ds and I are going by ourselves.  they have a shuttle trainer you can go in. plenty of free parking.  they also have a blackbird. and a drone - they can sit in a mock-up cockpit.  ) - and the boeing factory tour in everett  (the building would easily house disneyland).  wear walking shoes.

science center - which has the terracota warriors exhibit through sept 4th?  they have two imaxx screens and always have something going.  I'd take my kids there a lot.  

animals?  woodland park zoo in seattle,  the aquarium on the waterfront.  pt defiance zoo in tacoma (cool park.  also has ft nisqually)   cougar mt. zoo in issaquah.  there is one for reptiles out in monroe.  or go out to west seattle - lincoln park during low tide for tide pools.

hiram m. chittenden locks.   (ballard)   go past the dam - there's a fish ladder.  the salmon should be running.   (you can also go out to the fish hatchery in issaquah to watch the salmon in issaquah creek, and their fish ladder.)

museum of history and industry on lake union.

the troll.  you have to take them to see the troll.  under the aurora bridge.   walk down the hill to see the goats.  climb on the troll.  (it's very dusty).

if you can - do go out to rainier, especially if they like hiking/nature.  that mt. feeds the soul. go to paradise. walk  grove of the patriarchs is in the SE corner of the park, and can impress even the most recalcitrant nature person.   fairly easy hike.  cross the bridge to the island in the ohanapakosh river.  some of the trees are 1000+ years old.  and there is a spot with a sandy beach and they can play in the water.  (it's cold. not for swimming.)

kids also tend to like fort casey on whidbey island.  explore the bunkers - bring flashlights.  fly a kite.

• Like 5

The King County Library System is one of the best in the country. I lived in the Seattle-area (bellevue and Newcatle) for 14 years before we moved to the Austin-area and I still miss the KCLS library system.

yes.  I forgot to mention this. KCLS.org is one of the best library systems  in the country.  you can go to their website, and the kids can get a look at what is available.  (it's not in seattle proper.  they have their own library system.)

eta: added website

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

This is a great idea. The good news is that we are keeping our house because we plan to return to where we are now within the next 3 years. That seems to be lessening the blow a bit.

Just a comment that might not apply to you; feel free to disregard.

When we moved 10  years ago, we expected to be back in 4 years.  We kept our house and told our kids we'd be going back home.  We were certain of it.

Well, it didn't work out that way.  We are still here in PA.  We've never even gone back to Oregon for a visit (no family there so no real need).  I wish we had not been so certain we'd be going back.  We never felt settled here. Maybe we never would have, but I don't think it helped that for the first few years we considered ourselves to be temporary.   We didn't try very hard to develop close friendships, didn't get very involved in our community.   Looking back, I can see a lot of things we should have done differently.

Again, I understand this might not apply in your situation, and I am not assuming you don't know what you're talking about.  :-)  It just sounds a lot like us, 10 years ago, so I thought I would mention it. 

• Like 6

When we moved 10  years ago, we expected to be back in 4 years.  We kept our house and told our kids we'd be going back home.  We were certain of it.

Well, it didn't work out that way.  We are still here in PA.  We've never even gone back to Oregon for a visit (no family there so no real need).  I wish we had not been so certain we'd be going back.  We never felt settled here. Maybe we never would have, but I don't think it helped that for the first few years we considered ourselves to be temporary.   We didn't try very hard to develop close friendships, didn't get very involved in our community.   Looking back, I can see a lot of things we should have done differently.

Again, I understand this might not apply in your situation, and I am not assuming you don't know what you're talking about.  :-)  It just sounds a lot like us, 10 years ago, so I thought I would mention it. 

Fair point. All of our family (parents) are where we are now. I'm an only child, so I know that I will have to return to care for them at some point. We will definitely be traveling back to visit family and will likely send the girls here for part of the summer (at least the older two). But, I am very determined to treat this move as if it were permanent, because, as you say, you never really know how life will be. Making friends (both for me and the kids) is a top priority. 

• Like 1

It is gob smacking gorgeous. Dh had the opportunity to work there years ago -- and because I was such a chicken we declined the job. I've always regretted it.

I've done exactly what you're doing: take to Space Needle, take to Bainsbridge Island etc. (Except I did it in Atlanta.)

But here's another idea: focus on things your kids really care about. Like the Orcas that migrate to that area every year, the super rich Native American culture (Seattle was a chief's name), how a coffee company started there and so on.

Seattle is super cool in a billion different ways -- outside of the tourist attractions. I'd also try to find books in which Seattle is the setting. I found an awesome book set in Atlanta and it was so good that the author did a sequel.

I'd also get Seattle books out of the library -- coffee table books and "what to do" books to inspire the kids.

Kids like to have pride about where they live: say that loads of Californians are streaming into Washington because they can't handle some of the changes in CA. Help them be proud about their new community.

I live in Atlanta now and wouldn't leave the East Coastish area -- but if I HAD to go back, I'd pick Seattle.

Also, keep in mind that grief is part of the moving process. It's normal to go through the stages: denial, bargaining, anger, depression, acceptance. And grief isn't linear. One day your kid may be in denial. And the next into anger. "Acceptance" doesn't mean that the person is thrilled and finally happy. Acceptance just refers to accepting the reality.

Good luck -- and PM me if you want more. We did two monster moves with kids and I learned along the way.

Alley

• Like 2

When we moved 10 years ago, we expected to be back in 4 years. We kept our house and told our kids we'd be going back home. We were certain of it.

Well, it didn't work out that way. We are still here in PA. We've never even gone back to Oregon for a visit (no family there so no real need). I wish we had not been so certain we'd be going back. We never felt settled here. Maybe we never would have, but I don't think it helped that for the first few years we considered ourselves to be temporary. We didn't try very hard to develop close friendships, didn't get very involved in our community. Looking back, I can see a lot of things we should have done differently.

Again, I understand this might not apply in your situation, and I am not assuming you don't know what you're talking about. :-) It just sounds a lot like us, 10 years ago, so I thought I would mention it.

This is such a key point. Despite coming from a very different place demographically, culturally, and climate wise, we already feel halfway settled in Dayton at two weeks in. Having the rest of our stuff here will help - boxes haven't arrived yet. But SO much of this is mindset.

My kids were very sad to leave family and friends in Alaska, but we approached it matter of factly as "this is our new home, we will make the best of it we can and enjoy it" whether we are here five years or fifty. The particular community we are in is temporary, as we are putting in an offer for land one town north, but other than that we just dove right in. Scoped out local parks and shops, met new people at a new church and are getting comfortable with them, chatted with other homeschoolers, got going on the local special needs stuff, etc etc. We also plan on joining the YMCA here and getting rolling with piano and sports/dance again in the spring. We are even going to the silly Popcorn festival and other local harvest stuff like that, even though we haven't really done anything like that before.

Basically my method was to show my kids we could build a good life here, different but every bit as excellent as what we left in Alaska. And I told them they were welcome to move back as adults if they still missed it and felt it was the best fit for them. The combo of these two things seems to have done the trick, even for my older kids who were bawling their eyes out over leaving. We could grumble and miss everything about where we came from and disdain all the differences here, but that would just make us miserable. So glass half full - we focus on the positives and are forconly insinuating the area into our identity as "home".

Fake it til you make it ;)

Edited by Arctic Mama

I didn't read the other replies so sorry for any repeats.  We used to live in Seattle and go back to visit regularly since family is there.  In fact, just returned last night from 10 days in Seattle.  Here are my favorite things about Seattle with kids.

Pacific Science Center - we got a membership and used it frequently.  It's an awesome science center!

Seattle Zoo - our fav zoo and we've been to many.  

The parks in Seattle - there are so many awesome parks.  Purchase a guide and visit each one.

The water - So much to do on the water.  There are numerous beaches to visit.  We've kayaked and canoed through the University of Washington's Arboretum and it's a great time.  We've also taken tours of Lake Union and Lake Washington and my kids really enjoyed seeing it all. 

The ferries - they are just plain fun to travel on and the views of the area can't be beat.

Seattle Aquarium - another membership cause it's pretty expensive without but it's so charming and located downtown so close to other fun things like Pike Place Market.

The libraries - awesome system.  

The unlimited hiking opportunities!  With mountain ranges on both sides of the city, if you are a hiking family you will be in heaven.  

We loved living there.  Hope you do too!

• Like 2

I of course don't know what your kids are into but if they like soccer you can go to a Seattle Reign game all the players come out after and take picture sign stuff it is an awesome experience.  https://www.reignfc.com/

My kids love simple things the center for wooden boats.

Riding the monorail to seattle center and playing in the fountain.  

• Like 2

We were the same way when we moved from CA to NC.  I thought we would be in NC 2 years, 3 tops, and then head back to CA.  Nope, we have been in NC 12 years and it will be 13 next summer, when we are FINALLY moving back (lord willing and the crick don't rise!......see, look at me, being all Southern and stuff!) to CA.

OP, I went to college in Seattle, and lived there for 4 years.  My best friend still lives there and I have relatives there, so I still try to get out every few years.

I love doing the Seattle Underground Tour.

Ride a Ferry, go over to Camp Casey if you can, it is fun to tour.

Aquarium is fun and you can do it in the same day as Pike Place

The original Starbucks is at the Pike Place Market, so you can see that.

How old is your daughter and what kinds of things does she like?

• Like 2

I'm the wrong person to reply since I've fallen out of love with Seattle after living here all my life, but here are my 2 cents anyway.

There's a big festival called Bumbershoot that takes place at the Seattle Center every year over Labor Day weekend.  The crowds are huge so keep this in mind if you want to go to the Science Center.   We don't go to Bumbershoot but here's a link in case you want info:  https://www.bumbershoot.com/experience/

The zoo is fun, and there's a new baby giraffe.

Please be careful if you take your kids to play at a park.   Watch out for used syringes!  There are a lot of bums camping in these parks at night.  Heck, some even stay during the day.  Just this week I watched as a man with a little kid holding a balloon sat on a bench at a park.  The kid couldn't play on the play structure because a bum was using it as a campsite, complete with tarps/blankets draped over it.  Keep this in mind before you let your kids go on an enclosed slide,etc. because someone may have slept in it overnight (and defecated, etc. nearby).  

Saying goodbyes before you've had the helloes is the pits.  

When you say "Seattle" do you mean the city proper or the general area?  Because there are a lot of differences in areas.  

That said, you have had a lot of good suggestions in this thread; I will tell you the thing that made the biggest difference for me, no matter where I lived:  having the right clothes for that environment.  Don't go out and buy "waterproof everything" or you'll look like a dork.  But really, unless you are going to go backpacking/camping, all the heavy wool...just isn't going to get used. Layers, light layers, and a water-resistant outer layer with an attached hood is the way to go.  We do get snow from time to time, so don't *pitch* it all (if you are coming from snow-land) but thin it out.  People wear shorts year-round here (I don't but people do).  

I grew up in Colorado and hated winter ... until I got the right clothes for it.  Then it became a wonderful time of year for me.  

Also, when you live here, you have to make up your mind that you don't shrink and that it is OK that some rain falls on you from time to time. And that while there may be a lot of gray in the sky, there is always something beautiful to look at because something is always in bloom.  

And finally, the grayness isn't what got to me--the shortness of days in winter really bugs me.  That's why we get OUT of here on winter breaks and go somewhere sunny!  That has made all the difference over the years.  And you do get the days back in beautiful long summer days.  

But here's another idea: focus on things your kids really care about. Like the Orcas that migrate to that area every year,   Puget Sound has three resident pods.  they live here year round.   they move around the area - but they are here.

the super rich Native American culture (Seattle was a chief's name),    Chief Sealth.  Musuem of history and industry is good for this.  dh sitll laughs about the journal of an original settler and the "we'll finish the cabin when it stops raining.". . . it was winter.  they might like the washington state history museum in tacoma for this too.

how a coffee company started there .three coffee companies have started here.  starbucks, tulley's and seatlle's best coffee.

we just came off a record setting wet winter.    right into a record setting dry stretch . . . .

you couldn't pay me to live in seattle proper.    both of my parents grew up in the city- they moved to a suburb the year before I was born.  my grandparents lived there until they died, and my sister still does in an older part of the city that is gentryfying.

Someone mentioned the Ballard Locks. That is my boys favorite place to go. Hands down. The first time I took them I thought we would go see and leave. Morning adventure. We were there all day. They started crying when we had to leave to pick sister up from school. We were there like 5-6 hours.

The Freemont Troll is close to the Locks. There is also Theo Chocolate tour right there.

The best kids museum in the "area" is Imagine in Everett. My kids loved it when they were younger. Totally worth the drive.

• Like 2

Are you going to be living in the city? Or the suburbs? I would focus on visiting things in the area you will live. Big parks, recreation nearby. If you like outdoors go do some exploring at Ranier or St Helens. Maybe go to Seattle center and do one touristy thing and ride the monorail.

We live close to Bellevue if you want to connect.

I'm the wrong person to reply since I've fallen out of love with Seattle after living here all my life, but here are my 2 cents anyway.

There's a big festival called Bumbershoot that takes place at the Seattle Center every year over Labor Day weekend.  The crowds are huge so keep this in mind if you want to go to the Science Center.   We don't go to Bumbershoot but here's a link in case you want info:  https://www.bumbershoot.com/experience/

The zoo is fun, and there's a new baby giraffe.

Please be careful if you take your kids to play at a park.   Watch out for used syringes!  There are a lot of bums camping in these parks at night.  Heck, some even stay during the day.  Just this week I watched as a man with a little kid holding a balloon sat on a bench at a park.  The kid couldn't play on the play structure because a bum was using it as a campsite, complete with tarps/blankets draped over it.  Keep this in mind before you let your kids go on an enclosed slide,etc. because someone may have slept in it overnight (and defecated, etc. nearby).  

I just want to push back on the language you are using.  These aren't "bums" they are human beings who happen to be houseless.  Yes there are folks who have substance abuse issues or mental health issues, but there are also people working **full time** who do not have housing and aren't able to get shelter space or get into one of the sanctioned encampments.

We absolutely need better spaces for these folks than the public parks (though we have been here 20 years and have never seen any sign of problems at any of the parks we frequent), but I think we be more likely to find solutions if we don't stigmatize the ones who are suffering the most from the problems.

(You are welcome to message me directly - I am heavily involved with these issues.)