Menu

What is the law about dogs in public in your town?

mommyoffive

I am wondering what other areas have on the books for laws on dogs. 

Do you have to have them on a leash or not in your area? 

I have been charged by dogs 3 times in the last month while out walking or biking.

My town doesn't have a law about having your dog on a leash.  They can be under voice control or on a leash.  But let me just say everyone thinks they have voice control on their dog.  

• Like 1

They are supposed to be on a leash when not in their own yards which means they either stay put, you have them chained up, you have a fence, or you always walk them on a leash.

And this is NEVER enforced even with vicious dogs.

Our cocker spaniel has a nice run on our property, and when off property is always on a leash. I can say confidently that we are the only people in the community who are responsible with our dog.

Dogs are supposed to be on leashes in my neck of the woods.  However, there are many dog owners in my area who ignore the law because they can't imagine that  anyone would possibly not want to meet and greet their precious fluffy and having fluffy on a leash would deprive the rest of us of those interactions. 

• Like 1

Dogs are supposed to be on leashes. We had dogs chasing kids at the neighborhood parks until parents gave up and called the non-emergency police line to lodge a complaint. Our local police station is just across the street from the park.

An unleashed big sized dog came charging at my oldest when he was 3 at Hearst Castle's parking area. The owner was worried that we would sue him.

In town, dogs must be leashed. In the county, you can only do anything if they are harassing livestock. So, if the dog charges you, run towards the cows, they move one step, and you can shoot the dog. 

LOL, here because no one enforces the law about them being on a leash when not on their own property, many break the law and shoot the dogs anyway. Numerous dogs disappear each year. My dad dispatched one five years ago that was chasing our kids when they were riding their bikes. It bit two people who were walking, and the police never made it out to even take a report. So one night after dark, BAM.

I love my dog. I love him enough, and respect others enough, to keep him under control. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the local culture does not feel that way.

Is it legal to use pepper spray on dogs? If my dad hadn't ended the two vicious dogs that chased the boys, I was seriously considering this step.

Is it legal to use pepper spray on dogs? If my dad hadn't ended the two vicious dogs that chased the boys, I was seriously considering this step.

I don't know about legal, but my vet recommended it. I walk my dogs on leashes in a somewhat rural area. The majority of dog owners let their dogs run loose. We've used to have a lot of trouble with dogs attacking, but one of my current dogs is dominant enough that all the dogs that used to bother us now keep their distance :). When I was trying to teach him to behave on a leash and dogs kept coming up and challenging us, she suggested pepper spray so that I could get rid of them. I didn't do it, but did carry a spray bottle of water for awhile. 

UK law says that a dog can't be dangerously out of control, but doesn't specify leashes. A local government can specify particular areas where dogs have to be on leads, or can't go at all (part of a park, for example) but these areas have to be advertised as such.

Dogs often rush up to me when I'm running, but it's never been anything but friendly.

My dog is never out without us, but she's not on a lead unless we are near a road or farm animals. If I was told about a nervous child, for example, I would of course put her lead on.

ETA: microchipping is mandatory

ETA: poo pickup is also required

Edited by Laura Corin

If outside a fenced area, my city requires the dog to be on a leash- not just voice command.  Are there people that violate that law- well yes, dogs get out some times.  But I haven't seen people running or walking with dogs not on a leash.  We do have dog parks and our botanical garden occasionally has leash free areas but the people who go to the botanical garden are on the whole responsible people.  In 6 years here, often going to that garden and often when the dog areas are out there too, I haven't encountered any mean dogs nor any irresponsible people - including the grounds are kept nice and people all seem to be the types who throw trash in receptacles, water bottles in the recycling bins, and generally behave very well.  If only my complete life was filled with botanical garden visitors.

• Like 1

Dogs must always be on a leash or contained.  This was not the case when I was young, and you couldn't even walk down the street without some dog charging at you out of their yard.

Now, everyone has one of those invisible fences, or an actual fence, or only takes them out on a leash.  It has literally been decades since I have seen a dog walking around loose.  If anyone sees a loose dog, it's assumed they've escaped and are lost and probably you'd call someone or try to catch it and find its owner.

ETA: And I guess this is why if people want to get a rescue dog, they usually have to get it shipped in from down south... (our dog came from North Carolina...)

Edited by Matryoshka

The law here is that the dog has to be on a leash except in designated areas - for example, some parks have late night "off leash" hours. Most people do obey this law, and those who don't usually have well-behaved dogs and don't let those dogs out without them, so nobody cares, not even me. (However, I have had to tell a few people that the next time I saw their dog off-leash, I'd haul it up and take it directly to the shelter. Once I actually had to do it. And then I adopted him from the shelter, so let's just say that relations with those particular neighbors are tense.)

It is also the law that any dog in the city has to have a current rabies vaccine and also a dog license which is renewed yearly. Only about 20% of dog owners follow the license law. Some of those who don't follow it may think the rabies vaccine constitutes a license.

Leashes always unless on your property. I bought pepper spray because I was so tired of my dog being rushed at Petsmart and when walking on leash at the park. If the dog rushing us does not respond to my Sit command and looks dangerous, I spray them. I am referring to dogs coming at us silently or in full attack growling mode, not the average "Let's sniff butts" dog.

I don't use dog parks so I can't tell you about those. 

I'm not sure about the regulations in our city, but in our huge rural subdivision, our HOA has regulations. There are various penalties (financial) depending on the severity of the infraction. A few months ago, we (HOA members) voted on new regulations regarding animals, noise, etc. The first time the regulations had been revised in many years.  And now we have Video Cameras, for Security reasons, in the streets, so if there was an infraction (dog off leash, etc.) it might be provable to 3rd parties.  

In the city of Cali, I read a week or 2 ago that certain Dog Breeds, Dobermans, Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and about 6 or 8 other breeds, they are now requiring to have a chip implanted. Those breeds must, I believe, have a Muzzle on, when out in public on a leash with their owner.

Our Rotweiller died one year ago, sadly, but one time before he fell seriously ill, my Stepson took him for a walk and he was off leash. We got a call from the HOA.  That never happened again...    I can imagine someone who is afraid of dogs being terrified of a dog that size, no matter how loving and friendly the dog is. 

It is ALWAYS better to beware of dogs you do not know. Do not pet them.   DO NOT RUN FROM THEM.

• Like 1

Sounds like all the areas that have dogs on a leash law it really makes a difference. 

Glad to know about the Pepper spray.  I am going to get some.   Yeah these dogs where not coming to say hi.  And I or my kids have been charged lots and lots of times in our neighborhood.  I am so tired of the owners saying "oh she doesn't bite"  "she loves people "  or "he is just a puppy" .

Sorry but just because she hasn't bitten doesn't mean she wont.   

Or you don't know that my kid is scared of your dog because she keeps getting charged by dogs that are not on leashes. 

I think almost all the areas I ever lived in had leash laws and they did work for the most part.  There were areas I traveled to in some states where packs of dogs were running around.  What you are describing OP is scary.  I am glad that the one dog I have seen run from his yard lately (I think the battery on an invisible fence collar or the unit suddenly died) was a small friendly dog that wasn't even interested in coming up to me but just running around a bit more than his own yard.

in public - on leash and pick up the poop.   there are off leash areas where you can play with them.

eta: generally people respect it - but dh did have a pit come running down a side street and knocked him off his bike - barely missing being shoved into traffic on the street he was riding on.  the probable owner denied it was his dog, and he wasn't able to get adequate information for the cops.

it was one of the two experiences that led to him giving up his bike.  (the other was an idiot pulling out of a parking lot and hitting him.  sure his insurance company just loved him.  assuming they didn't drop him.)

Edited by gardenmom5

I'm not sure about the regulations in our city, but in our huge rural subdivision, our HOA has regulations. There are various penalties (financial) depending on the severity of the infraction. A few months ago, we (HOA members) voted on new regulations regarding animals, noise, etc. The first time the regulations had been revised in many years.  And now we have Video Cameras, for Security reasons, in the streets, so if there was an infraction (dog off leash, etc.) it might be provable to 3rd parties.  

In the city of Cali, I read a week or 2 ago that certain Dog Breeds, Dobermans, Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and about 6 or 8 other breeds, they are now requiring to have a chip implanted. Those breeds must, I believe, have a Muzzle on, when out in public on a leash with their owner.

Our Rotweiller died one year ago, sadly, but one time before he fell seriously ill, my Stepson took him for a walk and he was off leash. We got a call from the HOA.  That never happened again...    I can imagine someone who is afraid of dogs being terrified of a dog that size, no matter how loving and friendly the dog is. 

It is ALWAYS better to beware of dogs you do not know. Do not pet them.   DO NOT RUN FROM THEM.

Sometimes I wish we had a HOA. 

Yeah that isn't an easy thing to learn for a 3-6 year old.  And I don't blame them when something bigger than them comes charging at them. 

On leash, licensed, rabies vaccine, not allowed in parks or on the trails from May-ish to September-ish. No, not every pet owner obeys the ordinances. I do with my dog.

Even if the dogs are on leashes, ime as a runner, flexi leads pretty much mean the dog is as good as off leash. Also, none of it does any good if the owner can fit their hand between the dog and his or her collar. Somehow, when said dog gets out of their collar it always seems to be my (the runner's) fault.

IME, the worst offenders that I encounter are senior citizens with small dogs on flexi leashes who have zero control over their dog and think that their lunging, teeth bared, snarling dog is "just saying hi." I will cross the street and run in someone's yard to avoid dogs well in advance of getting near them. I will jaywalk or run on the shoulder/by the curb to maintain a greater distance. If I can't do that, I will stop running well in advance of meeting them, walk past them allowing as much of a buffer as I can, and only resume my run when I am certain that the dog has either forgotten about me or the distance between me and the dog is greater than the length of the flexi leash.

There is a gentleman who lives about a block over from me who never has his dog on a leash and has no control over his dog. His dog is not saying hi regardless of what he thinks. There was even a time somewhat recently when I walked past with my leashed dog thinking that his dog was inside, only to have it run out of nowhere at us. I am thankful we were able to get away, though I probably should have called in a complaint.

I wish dog owners were better behaved and more courteous than they are in real life.

I don't know our local laws are but let me say that I can sure sympathise with you. When we stay at our property in WA I like to take my dc for walks but I really don't like the neighbourhood dogs. I much less like the owners that saunter out when their dog is snarling at my dc and me and I'm screaming at their dog and trying to look as intimidating as I can that and they casually say, "Oh, he won't bite." I very nearly told the last owner that if his dog bit one of my children I was going to kill his dog. This not my personality but my mommy instinct was so enraged and I was full of adrenaline. I was really scared. After that I carried a big heavy stick and I brought a knife. Interestingly enough, that dog responded much better to my dh and my teenage son then he did to me. I guess he could tell a man from a woman somehow.

Another problem with not containing your dog is that if there are other roaming dogs in your neighbourhood then they're libel to pack up. Packed up dogs are no good. Up in Canada where we live the RCMP will shoot any packed up dogs on sight even with no other provocation. It's free target practice. It's a big problem in our rural neighbourhood though.

A long story short, I think all dogs should be contained one way or another.

Dogs must be leashed or contained in a yard. Droppings must be picked when walking your dog. I remember as a kid dogs were always loose. I hated walking around town because some were vicious and would follow people. I haven't seen a loose dog in years except for the occasional escapee.

I'm curious where you live. Our dog is a rescue from Houston, and we were told about and saw videos of dogs running loose in the city and over 1 million being euthanized each year. I know that our rescue and many others in the south will only ship dogs to the north.

We have leash laws for the city overall and signs are posted in every park and most people obey them. Some, like us, will take them off in parks for ball playing or training, but almost always the owners truly do have voice control over the dogs. I always leash ours if I see another dog enter the park and call her over to sit if I see a person, and many people will then approach and ask if they can pet her or make a comment about how well behaved she is. We never leash her in our yard and it is not fenced, but she is out there only with with us. She doesn't bark or growl or approach people or dogs or cats who walk by. She really has no desire to be anywhere except with us.

Edited by Frances

The rule here is dogs are on a leash when out of your property, except in designated off leash areas.

They will enforce this by impounding a dog.  In fact, IMO they can put too much emphasis on the word of the person who complains.  I had my dog on leash and some guy on a bike came up behind him suddenly.  The dog spun around like he might snap - but when he saw it was a person, he didn't.  The guy still complained to a cop who said it didn't matter that the dog didn't snap, or why he might ave been surprised, just that he somehow intimidated the man who complained.  It didn't go any further because the guy left and didn't come back, but I wasn't impressed.  It's like they expect a dog to have no reaction at all to someone harassing it.

They've changed the barking law here too.  It used to have a specific time limit, but now it is just that someone has to feel annoyed.

We have leash laws but a lot of people still let their dogs run free. We have 3 giant dobermans across the street that have gotten loose at times. Nothing like a very very mean looking dog that's basically a giant muscle running down the street with children outside playing. Last time one of them got out, he started running towards me while I was mowing the lawn. I put the mower between me and him with every intention of tipping the mower if he got too close. I actually have nightmares about them. The owners say they're just a bunch of sissies and sweeties. IMO, they may be nice dogs, but I never want to be around them when they're loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is very timely as yesterday two dogs who were visiting our town with their owner (all from Florida) attacked a cat. The cat was so badly hurt that she had to be put down. 

The rule in our town is control (which can be voice control) while on your property. Off your property, the term is "immediate control" which is defined as being to hold in physical restraint. If the animal is considered dangerous or ferocious (defined as manifesting a disposition to bite), it has to be in a secure facility or chained up (wording is different, but I think this is what it means). 

The police issued a citation to the visiting dog-owner & the cat's owner was going to try to get them to pay vet fees. It isn't enough, IMO, since the cat is dead now.

They've changed the barking law here too.  It used to have a specific time limit, but now it is just that someone has to feel annoyed.

Ah, yes, the barking is annoying statute...

I would have no idea about how this goes down around here, except for a really odd occurrence a couple of months ago...

I got a call from Animal Control that someone had complained that my dog had been tied up all day in the yard by himself barking.  But since we license our dogs, Animal Control already knew that we have a small papillon/pomeranian mix, and the complainer said it was a lab.  I agreed, and also said that our dog is never outside by himself for a zillion reasons, among which he would become snack food for a bear or fox or coyote or fisher cat or hawk or... you get the idea.  Also, he ran out the door when a visitor opened it a week after we got him and was lost for a week and a half in the cold, so I'm super-paranoid about him ever getting away again.

Anyhoo, Animal Control agreed that it wasn't our dog, and we had a fun time discussing what dog this person could be talking about, especially since I'd been home all morning and hadn't heard a dog barking at all - and if the neighbor had complained about our address but was wrong, it had to at least be nearby?  Then AC warned me that because of the complaint the cops would also be paying me a visit, which they promptly did.  Again easily confirmed that we don't have a lab and it isn't outside.  Then cop and I spent some time listening carefully outside to see if we could hear a dog.  First nothing, but then in the distance, we heard a couple of barks.  As cop is abot to go off to investigate, complainer calls back to inform him guy has come home and is playing with dog in yard now, he can see him.  Yeah, that's not me, moron.  It was a couple of houses down from us.  I suspect complainer was in the house across the street from them; they moved in about a year ago, and also they have a rental unit.  But how do you not know the address of the house across the street?  

Anyway, apparently around here if a dog is barking and you complain, the full force of the law will be at your door within 10 minutes.  Benefit or drawback of living in a town where the cops don't have much else to do?

• Like 1

The rule here is dogs are on a leash when out of your property, except in designated off leash areas.

They will enforce this by impounding a dog. In fact, IMO they can put too much emphasis on the word of the person who complains. I had my dog on leash and some guy on a bike came up behind him suddenly. The dog spun around like he might snap - but when he saw it was a person, he didn't. The guy still complained to a cop who said it didn't matter that the dog didn't snap, or why he might ave been surprised, just that he somehow intimidated the man who complained. It didn't go any further because the guy left and didn't come back, but I wasn't impressed. It's like they expect a dog to have no reaction at all to someone harassing it.

They've changed the barking law here too. It used to have a specific time limit, but now it is just that someone has to feel annoyed.

Wow! I'd be upset about the bike thing, too. Our rescue dog has overcome a lot of her fears, but can still be quite startled by bikes going by when we are walking, and people here break the no bikes on sidewalks rule all of the time. If I see them in time, I can get her to the grass and have her sit, but sometimes I don't hear or see them until they are flying by. We had a few scary encounters on narrow sidewalks when we first got her because she would start to bolt, and I was afraid she was going to run into the bike.
  • Like 1