Menu

Is this fraud??

Moxie

It feels... not right.

We had a limb come off our tree and put a small hole (under 3 inches) in our roof and ripped off a gutter. No roofing company will fix it unless we replace the whole roof. There is no reason to replace the roof. The shingles are available. They just know that insurance is paying for it so they won't take the smaller repair job. Really makes me mad because the repair won't meet our deductible but a new roof will so I'd pay more!

• Like 1

I would try to talk with someone in the Claims Dept. of your Homeowners Insurance Company and see what they suggest.  Possibly there is a valid reason for them not wanting to repair the existing roof, such as warranty issues if you have another problem and want them to fix something they would not feel responsible for. Call your Homeowners Insurance Company and ask to speak with an Adjuster.

• Like 10

Oh, we've run into similar scenarios recently. Talk to your insurance company. They may have a contractor they will recommend.

It feels really crummy, doesn't it?

You might discuss it with a contractor, and just leave the insurance out of it, if you're paying directly.

1. Is the job too small to warrant time for it, some companies don't take small jobs.

2. They may feel some liability for the work of another company (whoever put the current roof on) if they do the job, even though they are fixing a small part.

These are both valid reasons. It's a business cost to devote time. There's a sunk cost with every job that is the same.

• Like 2

Oh, we've run into similar scenarios recently. Talk to your insurance company. They may have a contractor they will recommend.

It feels really crummy, doesn't it?

You might discuss it with a contractor, and just leave the insurance out of it, if you're paying directly.

It sounds like it is the roof people she has been talking to.

It sounds like it is the roof people she has been talking to.

Right, I know, but she said the roofers know her insurance is paying for it. I was thinking she might talk to a roofer and approach it as a self pay, don't even mention the insurance. Since her deductible is higher than the repair itself.

Sadly, I've been in this position this year, and the contractors all see dollar signs when they find out what insurance company we have. It's awful. It might not be fraud, but it's not ethical.

Do you have any local roofers, not big companies? Here we have a lot of guys who are roofers and they'd take that project on. They are insured and licensed so you're still protected (I would ask to see both the license number and the proof of insurance, including workman's comp- I learned the hard way). 

I'm kind of shocked that they won't take the job. Last summer we had a huge rainstorm with high winds and a piece of our roof was damaged. A pretty large local company came out the next day and fixed it- took him about 20 minutes- and the bill was about $60. No hassle at all about a small job. (Still cost us about $800 to fix the inside damage!Grr)

• Like 1

Right, I know, but she said the roofers know her insurance is paying for it. I was thinking she might talk to a roofer and approach it as a self pay, don't even mention the insurance. Since her deductible is higher than the repair itself.

Sadly, I've been in this position this year, and the contractors all see dollar signs when they find out what insurance company we have. It's awful. It might not be fraud, but it's not ethical.

Right! And then they act confused when I don't want a "free" roof! I guess $500 is a bargain for a roof but fixing the hole should be a lot less than $500.

• Like 1

How old is the roof? We ended up replacing our whole roof (it was about 12 years old) after a storm when we had a decent amount of damage. Insurance paid for it; I think they sometimes think of it like this: If they go ahead and replace an aging roof, its more likely to hold up in a major storm when they potentially could be on the hook for a new roof+interior damage if a huge section of roofing fails.

I'd call the insurance company and ask for their thoughts on it.

• Like 4

My father has had the same problem with roofers since a hurricane came through here last fall and a tree knocked off the corner of his garage roof. They come out, look at it, give an estimate, and then he never hears from them again. He calls and calls and calls. Nada.

He's also had the same problem with tree people. Finally, my father at age 76, took down the 2 ton tree by himself, cut it up and hauled it to the curb.

Right! And then they act confused when I don't want a "free" roof! I guess $500 is a bargain for a roof but fixing the hole should be a lot less than $500.

Ha! Yes, it should be.

It's just crazy. We've been through this several times now. I have come to detest the project managers who do the estimates and oversee the work. Our actual contractors have been ok, but we have been through several "restoration" companies now, and I'm starting to think it's all a racket. And the one we have right now, that really makes my hackles go up, wants to take full payment from the insurance company even though we're only doing a patch job. The contractors damaged the faux finish on my DD's walls, grrrrrrr, so the insurance co will pay to faux finish the entire room. The faux finisher is here now trying to fix the mess, without redoing the whole room, and the restoration co wants to keep the payment for doing the entire room. Ummmm, no. We're opting to repair the spot to save the insurance co some money! No, it's not a $1200 tip for you! Hello!

• Like 1

How old is the roof? We ended up replacing our whole roof (it was about 12 years old) after a storm when we had a decent amount of damage. Insurance paid for it; I think they sometimes think of it like this: If they go ahead and replace an aging roof, its more likely to hold up in a major storm when they potentially could be on the hook for a new roof+interior damage if a huge section of roofing fails.

I was going to ask how old your roof is. Many times, at least in my state, a roofing company can't/won't guarantee their repair work on an older roof (around 12-15 years) and that's why they recommend replacing the whole roof. 

• Like 2

this.

how old is the roof?  and what is the estimated lifespan of the grade of shingles used? 

some are <20 - and some are supposed to last 40+ years.

if you have an inexpensive grade of shingle - and it's been on for a few years, it would make sense to just get the new roof.  (especially if you plan on selling in the next 5 - 10 years - as some banks will insist on a new roof before they'll make a loan.)

• Like 1

If I could put a new roof up for $500, I would totally jump on it.

Edited by Sassenach
  • Like 2

Honestly I'd be afraid of an estimate that was $500 for a whole roof. I just did a new roof and it was significantly more than that. I can't imagine fixing a hole for that much, but I don't know what the hole looks like.

• Like 1

Honestly I'd be afraid of an estimate that was $500 for a whole roof. I just did a new roof and it was significantly more than that. I can't imagine fixing a hole for that much, but I don't know what the hole looks like.

$500 is my insurance deductible.

Less than $500 to fix the hole? I can't imagine a licensed and insured roofing company that would do any kind of repair for less than $500.
  • Like 2

Less than $500 to fix the hole? I can't imagine a licensed and insured roofing company that would do any kind of repair for less than $500.

I don't know where you live but $500 would go a long ways toward a repair like that in many places.

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

I don't know where you live but $500 would go a long ways toward a repair like that in many places.

If you did it yourself, sure.

If you hire a company, they're paying someone time to drive to your house, paying for gas/vehicle, liability insurance, hourly wage, workers comp, the time of the person who came out to give the estimate, materials, and they have to figure something into a warranty.

We had a bay window that needed a new roof and no company would touch it.

One said, "Well, we have a guy who might be able to do it on his way home from work." 

They just don't want this small of a job. Even when we said we'd be in the market for a new roof down the road - nope. I think it MIGHT be fraud, but it they likely wouldn't do it even if you were self pay.

Emily

If you hire a company, they're paying someone time to drive to your house, paying for gas/vehicle, liability insurance, hourly wage, workers comp, the time of the person who came out to give the estimate, materials, and they have to figure something into a warranty.

...which is exactly why they don't take small jobs. It's not fraud to not take a job. It's just not worth their time because it's too small.

Which is also why some handyman types advertise with "no job too small" because many jobs are too small for larger companies with more overhead costs.

Edited by EmseB
  • Like 3

Do you have regular handy man type people in your area? I'd look there instead of roofing companies. There are several where I love that will come out and do small jobs for $50 or so. We had one out recently to climb up on the barn roof and nail in the part DH couldn't reach. He will come fix a water leak, electric problem, Ect. If it's just something small snd simple. I can see why a big company wouldn't want yo spend their time, but a small handyman can probably do it in a few hours.

Where I live I can get two men (a main guy and an apprentice)for an 8 hour day for about $800 assuming materials aren't outrageously priced.  And they provide all of what you mention above.  I can do this with my plumber, carpenter, etc.  Sadly I have a lot of experience with that because our 1880 house has needed a lot of work over the years. 

Yes I am aware. I have known many small repairs to cost less than 500

I would ask directly why. It could be that it's hard to patch because of the age of the existing roof. We are having insurance work on our roof and they are replacing a whole side because it they replace the damaged panels it will look mismatched because the older panels have faded (tin roof). If they say it can't be patched effectively you know getting a handyman won't give a good result but if it's about the job being too small for them they you can probably use one.

• Like 1