Menu

G Rated movies that are good

Katy

Chicken Run is awesome and is the first one that came to my mind, but a quick google search gives you a whole list of the box office toppers for G movies:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic/mpaa.htm?page=G

The Lion King, Monsters Inc, Monsters U, and Wall-E were awesome too (written after my brain neurons got dusted off).

But I didn't actually like Moana (boring), so YMMV.

• Like 2

G rated movies:

The Secret of Arrietty

Ponyo

My Neighbor Totoro

Kiki's Delivery Service

Sophia Grace and Rosie's Royal Adventure

PG rated movies:

Boy and the World

Ernest and Celestine

Wolf Children

A Monster in Paris

The Barbie movies are not bad. I don't know the age of your child but 4-5 is a good age. I think Three Musketeers was my favorite.

The Barbie movies are not bad. I don't know the age of your child but 4-5 is a good age. I think Three Musketeers was my favorite.

My favorite Barbie movie is A Chrstmas Carol. The first spirit is funny.

If you can find the series "Barbie: Life in the Dream House", watch those. They are so funny!

Kelly

• Like 1

The one I'm concerned about is 7 but seems to have a mental age a bit lower, and cannot tolerate any sexual innuendo.  Not even a hint.

ETA:  She loves preschool content best.

Edited by Katy

Preschool bests (interesting content and gentle on mom's ears): little bear, kipper, many adventures of Winnie the Pooh, the Beatrix Potter that has live action as well as animation

Also try select episodes of little house on the prairie. Very gentle and happy.

Key word "select"... My older two are still scarred by the "Mr Edwards gets attacked by bear" episode.

Babe and Babe, Pig in the City are big hits here.

Shaun the Sheep

I always want to try older movies with the kids, but then see from the link above that Gone with the Wind is rated G.

Key word "select"... My older two are still scarred by the "Mr Edwards gets attacked by bear" episode.

Babe and Babe, Pig in the City are big hits here.

Shaun the Sheep

I always want to try older movies with the kids, but then see from the link above that Gone with the Wind is rated G.

Well, yeah. Nobody could cause permanent psychological damage like Michael Landon. Entire books have been written about this, I think, or at least a significant number of online articles. There you are, popcorn and jammies, visiting Walnut Grove with your family - totally in your safe zone - and then there's something like opium withdrawal or a kidnapping to keep you awake FOREVER and in therapy eventually. Definitely why I used the word "select." But I stand by the suggestion. Some of that stuff was pure positive and uplifting entertainment.

• Like 5

The Beatrix Potter DVDs Tibbie mentioned are lovely!  

For loads of hilarity, a few good action scenes and a few exciting/tense, moments Homeward Bound, The Incredible Journey. My Ds' all time favorite movie ever. Sally Field as the cat and Michael J. Fox as Chance are hilarious. Don Ameche is the voice of the golden retriever and he is good, but plays the serious character and doesn't have as many funny lines.

Seconding Shaun the Sheep and Babe.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 4

Lilo and Stitch hasn't been mentioned for some reason, so there we go. Now it's on the list.

I love Disney movies but for some reason Lilo and Stitch is my all time favorite. It seems silly that I love it as much as I do. I tear up every time. I even like the others (although not as much as the first)

I really love "Home" too. Love the music, love the characters...it is just great.

• Like 1

Disney Nature Bears is a wonderful movie.

If you're looking for very gentle preschool shows, I highly recommend Oswald, Blue's Clues, and Curious George. Possibly Wonder Pets as well.

Dino Dan is very positive, if she doesn't mind large realistic-looking dinosaurs (only Dan can see them, though--not sure if that would confuse her). 

Lalaloopsies is a very sweet, very gentle show that is actually quite funny sometimes.

If she would enjoy sing-along videos, Cedarmont Kids were loved here.

The show Too Cute is wonderful.

• Like 1

I love Disney movies but for some reason Lilo and Stitch is my all time favorite. It seems silly that I love it as much as I do. I tear up every time. I even like the others (although not as much as the first)

Oh, god, it makes me cry so hard. He was a little baby, and they just wanted to throw him away! Poor Stitch!

I thought Sing had some questionable song choices?  If that's the one with the animals dancing to Baby Got Back in the trailer, this isn't the movie for this child.

She already loves Song of the Sea, Daniel Tiger, Dora, and Blues Clues.

I thought Sing had some questionable song choices?  If that's the one with the animals dancing to Baby Got Back in the trailer, this isn't the movie for this child.

Hmmm, maybe. I don't remember that. But yes, I would say that if she's into Daniel Tiger and Dora, she's not quite ready for "Sing." 

I thought Sing had some questionable song choices? If that's the one with the animals dancing to Baby Got Back in the trailer, this isn't the movie for this child.

I would steer clear of sing. There were a few moments that were a bit more adolescent/adult. Good movie though.

Speaking of questionable songs...one of the songs in the movie is Elton John "I'm Still Standing" which I personally love. I just don't think I had ever seen the video as a kid and most of Elton John's music videos are him on the piano so I didn't think anything of it when my small kids asked to hear the original. I went ahead and pulled up the music video on YouTube. Oh. My. Word. Parenting fail on my part. Still a good song though.

• Like 1

I like lilo and stitch too, but isnt this a foster kid? Lilos parents are dead and she is about to be taken from home by her case worker. I'm not sure that would be a good theme for a foster kid???

Oh, if that's the case then yeah, I don't think so. (For that matter, I think that while child services was certainly right to be concerned in Lilo's case, it's over-the-top to basically say she's better off out of contact with her sister, as the social worker did in one scene. It's not like the sister is abusive.)

I would steer clear of sing. There were a few moments that were a bit more adolescent/adult. Good movie though.

Speaking of questionable songs...one of the songs in the movie is Elton John "I'm Still Standing" which I personally love. I just don't think I had ever seen the video as a kid and most of Elton John's music videos are him on the piano so I didn't think anything of it when my small kids asked to hear the original. I went ahead and pulled up the music video on YouTube. Oh. My. Word. Parenting fail on my part. Still a good song though.

As I read this I was trying to remember the details of the video.  In my mind, all I could picture was a white piano and funny glasses.  So for fun I went and watched it.

:lol:  yeah, there was a lot more to that video that I had forgotten. 

It is a good song.