Menu

Gift idea... would you or wouldn't you?

Audrey

Yes, no or something else?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Given the circumstances, would you give a person a Squatty Potty as a gift?

• Yes. Seems reasonable to me.
    • No. That's inappropriate.
    • I'm not sure. Let me tell you why...

I know a person who has a lot of issues with evacuating their bowels.  I am thinking of getting them a Squatty Potty as a gift.  This person isn't shy or easily mortified, and is rather open about their issues, in a graciously tasteful manner.

For those who don't know, this is the Squatty Potty I am referencing. 

There is an anonymous poll available.  Would you or wouldn't you?  Thoughts and other input are welcome, too.

Edited by Audrey
  • Like 1

I would only do it privately for a very, very close friend or family member.  In my case, that might only be my mother.  Is this someone on a limited income?  If not, I might just e-mail them a link to it and say hey, have you seen these? 

• Like 3

I would only do it privately for a very, very close friend or family member.  In my case, that might only be my mother.  Is this someone on a limited income?  If not, I might just e-mail them a link to it and say hey, have you seen these? 

Income is a barrier for them.  They probably wouldn't spend the $35-40 CDN on themselves. 

ETA: I should probably clarify, too, that it would be a privately given gift.  I'm not talking about a gag gift or trying to embarrass someone.  Quite the opposite. 

Edited by Audrey
  • Like 5

Oh, gosh, I don't know. I don't feel like I'm that bold but if you are comfortable with it, why not? The furthest I personally would go would be to get an amazon gift card and send them the link as a suggestion and let them decide if they want one.

• Like 3

I don't think it is inappropriate as you describe. Of course, it would be given privately, not publically, and the person would have to be the type you describe. But, though I don't have a Squatty Potty and don't have any particular elimination problems, I have been known to haul over a footstool sometimes if things are sluggish. It's miraculously helpful, so of course I would want to offer some help to a friend if I knew they had this problem.

• Like 2

I have seen the one you linked at Bed Bath and Beyond here. We were thinking it could be useful for young kids too at home instead of dangling their "short" legs. My kids had used a foot/step stool when they were much younger. The squatty potty would likely have been more comfortable for my kids.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

Costco had a two-pack. They're awesome.

(I'm assuming you mean a gift as in hey, this is supposed to be great. I got a two pack and thought you might like one. Not HAPPY BIRTHDAY, enjoy your BM!)

Edited by zoobie
  • Like 5

I probably wouldn't, but that's because it would make ME uncomfortable, regardless of whether or not it bothered the recipient. (Unless it was someone I'm extremely close to, like my dh.)

If you're sure the recipient wouldn't be embarrassed, and you are comfortable with the idea, why not? I think it's lovely that you want to help.

• Like 2

depends upon the relationship.  if this is a completely frank subject between you, and help is offered - sure.

if any doubt, you can always ask by way of suggesting it as something that might help them.  then do.

• Like 1

Not as a Christmas gift or something, but if I thought they would be okay with it, yeah, I'd send it to them via Amazon or something. Would depend on the friendship. I have girlfriends that I could do that for. Others, not so much. 

• Like 2

Not as a Christmas gift or something, but if I thought they would be okay with it, yeah, I'd send it to them via Amazon or something. Would depend on the friendship. I have girlfriends that I could do that for. Others, not so much.

Yeah, I can think of a two, maybe three, people that I could send one too after having had a frank conversation and brainstorming. Not as a gift for an occasion, but because we were talking about this and now here it is. Not quite the same as when I sent my friend a yogurt maker out of the blue....
  • Like 1

Perhaps get it, then present it as "Oh, I needed this (or my friend/relative) needed this for a time but decided not to use it, do you know anyone who could use it?"   if you think just flat out "hey, I bought you this, go poop" won't fly.

• Like 1

I think under the circumstances and friendship you described it is a very thoughtful and kind gift.

I have been asking dh to make me a stool that will work in our very small bathroom.  He put replacement toilets in our bathrooms that are great for the tall people in my house -everyone except me---but not so great for me even though I am 5'6". 

• Like 1

Costco had a two-pack. They're awesome.

(I'm assuming you mean a gift as in hey, this is supposed to be great. I got a two pack and thought you might like one. Not HAPPY BIRTHDAY, enjoy your BM!)

Cracking up

I'd probably do it. I might preface it by saying something like, "I know this might be weird, but I heard of this thing, and, well, (laughing lightheartedly) I got it for ya hoping it might be helpful!" 

It's all in the marketing. 

I love friends with whom I can be real, and who trust me in the same way. 

• Like 1

No, because it's tasteless as a gift, and a child's stepstool would do the same thing.

I have one (two now actually. We liked the first so much we got one for the second bathroom) and it is NOT the same as the child's stepstool I was using before. With a child's stepstool, I had to keep my feet in front of the potty. The Squatty Potty, my feet are spread out in a more comfortable position.  The squatty potty pushed back against the toilet and is easier to store than finding a place for a child's stepstool and remembering to bring it over to the toilet when in use.

• Like 2

1. I found that it worked, so yes.

2. The video is so hilarious I'd buy one (as did, actually) based on the brilliance of their ad department.

ETA- Throw in a rainbow poop pillow and it'll be a home run!

I also bought one because of their advertising. I watch the video and felt that they deserve my money just to sponsor that video even if it didn't work. But it really does help.

• Like 1