Menu

Does this whole peri shi* go away ever? Or get better?

SparklyUnicorn

Oh, that sounds so awful. I only get a couple migraines a month, but they make me miserable. I can't imagine having them every day!

I hope there is another medication that will help you.  :grouphug:

Thank you so much! I hope so too! It has been hard, but I recognize that things could be much worse.

I am 51 and my period is incredibly regular.  I did manage to figure out about a year ago that my raging bad mood and over-reactions to everything (seriously I was a walking raging ball of fury constantly) was related to peri-menopause.  I started using progesterone cream and it has helped SO SO much.  I am much more level and calm now.  However, in January I had my mammogram and the radiologist picked up on an area of change.  I had a diagnostic mammogram and an ultrasound.  She told me that had it always been there she wouldn't think twice about it. But because it was a change she was concerned.  She said that it could be due to "hormone surges" related to peri-meno.  I have to go back in July for another diagnostic and possible ultrasound.  Depending on what it shows, I may have to have a biopsy.  I am scared shitless.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. :grouphug: I pray that it turns out to be nothing.

I don't know if it is a placebo effect or if it is really helping the insomnia but I started taking a women's vitamin for middle age women with iron and after a few days I started sleeping through the night about 5-6 days a week vs. maybe 1 night a week.  I could always fall asleep easily but would wake up at 2, 3, or 4 and then not fall asleep for hours.

What is this magical vitamin of which you speak?

I'd be willing to try it. :)

• Like 1

Fully menopausal here. (57 now, last period at 54)

I have one answer: bioidentical hormone cream. Saved my and my husband's lives. Helps with hot flashes, rageyness, dryness and more. Love it!

Do you have a link? Brand?

What is this magical vitamin of which you speak?

I'd be willing to try it. :)

I don't think it is really magical. It might have been coincidence or hormone fluctuations or ????? Or maybe it was the vitamins.

Anyway, my secret formula is:

Women Century Multivitamin/multimineral supplement. Complete with 30 nutrients.

Mine is Meijer brand (local chain like Walmart/Target). It has 18mg of iron and 100mg of magnesium.....two things I was told might help.

Now even if I do wake up to go to the bathroom I can fall asleep very quickly again and many night I sleep 7 hours straight.

https://www.amazon.com/Centrum-Multivitamin-Multimineral-Supplement-120-Count/dp/B00LEHDLRW/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1497533498&sr=8-2&keywords=centrum+women+multivitamin

This is the name brand vitamin that has the same stuff as my store brand.

Edited by Ottakee
  • Like 2

My biggest issue is the sleep thing.  My husband calls our bedroom the arctic tundra because I need to have it so cold in there to sleep.  I snuggle up in the covers when I go to bed and then around 1 pm...HOT HOT!!!  I throw off all the covers, my skin turns cold, and I'm still hot.  That wakes up my restless leg thing which needs heat and I'm awake for hours.  

People also used to tell me I would get irregular periods.  What they didn't mention that irregular could also mean every 21 days.  My cycle used to last anywhere from 30-35 days.  Now, I'm at a "regular" 21 days.  That's what annoys me.  

• Like 3

My biggest issue is the sleep thing.  My husband calls our bedroom the arctic tundra because I need to have it so cold in there to sleep.  I snuggle up in the covers when I go to bed and then around 1 pm...HOT HOT!!!  I throw off all the covers, my skin turns cold, and I'm still hot.  That wakes up my restless leg thing which needs heat and I'm awake for hours.  

People also used to tell me I would get irregular periods.  What they didn't mention that irregular could also mean every 21 days.  My cycle used to last anywhere from 30-35 days.  Now, I'm at a "regular" 21 days.  That's what annoys me.  

Same here! If my periods are going to be irregular, I want them further apart, not closer together, dang it!  :laugh:

• Like 4

Well I've started the hot flashes, night sweats, waking up at 2-5, pissed at the world pms when I used to be the even keeled one, pimples. And periods that range from every 34 days to every 65 days...

The worst part...I'm 39....just turned 39!!!! It isn't fair. Not only that irl older friends do not believe me because "I'm too young and not even 40 yet." Sucks I tell ya.

• Like 2

My biggest issue is the sleep thing.  My husband calls our bedroom the arctic tundra because I need to have it so cold in there to sleep.  

That's the one part of perimenopause my dh liked. I hate being cold (fortunately I live in Florida) and we used to have thermostat wars. :) When I was still getting hot flashes I liked it set low, even lower than he usually set it. He loved that. 

• Like 1

I don't think it is really magical. It might have been coincidence or hormone fluctuations or ????? Or maybe it was the vitamins.

Anyway, my secret formula is:

Women Century Multivitamin/multimineral supplement. Complete with 30 nutrients.

Mine is Meijer brand (local chain like Walmart/Target). It has 18mg of iron and 100mg of magnesium.....two things I was told might help.

Now even if I do wake up to go to the bathroom I can fall asleep very quickly again and many night I sleep 7 hours straight.

https://www.amazon.com/Centrum-Multivitamin-Multimineral-Supplement-120-Count/dp/B00LEHDLRW/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1497533498&sr=8-2&keywords=centrum+women+multivitamin

This is the name brand vitamin that has the same stuff as my store brand.

THANK YOU!!!!

That's the one part of perimenopause my dh liked. I hate being cold (fortunately I live in Florida) and we used to have thermostat wars. :) When I was still getting hot flashes I liked it set low, even lower than he usually set it. He loved that. 

My husband likes this too.  I used to sit wearing hoodies in the summer from the AC.  Now, I'm complaining about it being too hot.

• Like 1

I'm not having hot flashes.  That's one of the few things I seem to not be having. 

You are lucky in that respect. I'm having a hot flash right now. I'll be starting my time of the month any time between now & Saturday. I'm cranky and hungry in addition to having sweat pour out of my pores like a river. I eat a ketogenic diet; I think that's supposed to help, but I'm still miserable. I'm just ready for all of this to be over. I'm 42, so I've probably still got several years of suffering to go.

You are lucky in that respect. I'm having a hot flash right now. I'll be starting my time of the month any time between now & Saturday. I'm cranky and hungry in addition to having sweat pour out of my pores like a river. I eat a ketogenic diet; I think that's supposed to help, but I'm still miserable. I'm just ready for all of this to be over. I'm 42, so I've probably still got several years of suffering to go.

I don't know.  I've had hot flashes before in my life, but I still think I'd take that over the constant hunger.  I'm on a ketogenic diet as well and it is not cutting it.  I do not know what to make of that!

I don't know.  I've had hot flashes before in my life, but I still think I'd take that over the constant hunger.  I'm on a ketogenic diet as well and it is not cutting it.  I do not know what to make of that!

I know. Neither do I. Plus, I can't eat more because I'll gain weight. I'm on three anti-depressant medications and if I even look at an extra slice of cheese or an extra serving of dinner, somehow ten pounds will appear on my behind. I swear! That's how it happens.  :lol:

• Like 1

I'm 52. Gone are the days of close cycles. This year I have had two 45 day cycles and am going 60+ days on this cycle. And I've been feeling lousy.The hot flashes are stronger and longer now. I can tell when a hot flash is coming before it arrives. It washes over me in a slow wave that leaves me feeling slightly nauseated. Mine are a dry heat. They don't make me sweat. In some ways they resemble the panic attacks I had during post partum depression.

I had a thermal ablation years ago and while my periods have gotten heavier I really can't complain. I can sort of deal with the weight gain :glare: and wanting to eat ALL THE TIME but the sweating is driving me crazy.  Having to wash my sheets almost daily is really getting old.  So is the crying at HAPPY things, I mean I could understand if I were to start bawling because I was sad or angry (oh, yeah, I angry cry :sneaky2:) but if I start thinking about how much I love my kids I just start pouring, they all think I'm nuts.

I had a hysterectomy due to cycles so heavy they nearly met the "come into the ER" level, but kept my ovaries. I'm well over 50 and still get monthly pms symptoms, just no flow. I was thrilled to buy my first pair of white shorts in decades.

Peri symptoms for me have been mild - I have trouble falling asleep, but sleep long and soundly once I do. A few times I've had a warm wave. My mom told me she never had hot flashes, but she had an early hysterectomy herself followed by HRT. I wonder if I'm going to feel more symptoms when my ovaries decide they're done, or whether I'll just quietly be officially in menopause. I am less patient than I used to be, but there are a number of reasons for that these days other than peri.

I just read this on Facebook and immediately thought of this thread: https://themagicbrushinc.com/this-stage-of-life/

That's awesome. I had to bite my lip not to wake dh with laughter. But this was my favorite part:

"You finally figure out how to say no and not apologize. You say yes to the things that are meaningful. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m telling youĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.. your face may disappoint you with its facial lines and itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s sagging skin but you will be gutsier in your 40s than you have ever been in your life and I believe the trade-off is worth it."

• Like 2

I had a thermal ablation years ago and while my periods have gotten heavier I really can't complain. I can sort of deal with the weight gain :glare: and wanting to eat ALL THE TIME but the sweating is driving me crazy. Having to wash my sheets almost daily is really getting old. So is the crying at HAPPY things, I mean I could understand if I were to start bawling because I was sad or angry (oh, yeah, I angry cry :sneaky2:) but if I start thinking about how much I love my kids I just start pouring, they all think I'm nuts.

Whoa, what?! I thought ablation made periods completely go away?? Man. So much for that option.

Whoa, what?! I thought ablation made periods completely go away?? Man. So much for that option.

Nope. Often it does, but that's not a guarantee. I had an ablation and for years enjoyed regular, NORMAL periods until the super heavy anemia-causing couldn't-leave-the-house ones returned. After a year of that, I had first a D&C (unsuccessful), then had the uterus removed a few months later.

I was very pleased with the ablation. It gave me years of normal. It would have been nice if I were one of the lucky ones who never bled again, but "normal" was something I was extremely grateful for, considering what I had been dealing with.

• Like 2

Me too!  My doctor has been offering one for years but I've been hesitant due to the OOP costs.  I knew it was uncertain how long it would help for, I didn't know it could make things heavier.    :crying:   So much for that option.

So sorry I can't hang out with you and hold your hand and let you cry on my shoulder. I would if I could but I can't so I won't. At 52, I'm looking back with love and fondness on all of you and wanting to crack jokes with you about things like how I really really really don't want to offend anyone and no, I don't call myself a Christian, but I just thought it would amuse you that some random atheist chick old bat on the internet says she always wondered why hell was hot instead of cold until her periods stopped and her hot flashes got real.

I want to say nice things about the fifties. I really do. And if someone else has good things to say about the fifties I want to believe them even if they are lying. I want so bad to believe that I am a freak of nature or that I'm getting what I deserve for nhaving ds or for shoplifting that pack of chewing gum when I was two.

But if I'm not some special snowflake and everybody else has to go through this too I do want you to understand, before you get here, that I am glad to be here. I don't like the alternative. I know it isn't okay to talk suicidal ideation on the internet unless it is a sincere cry for help and you really do need someone to kick in your door and take you to the emergency room but I have seriously never felt LESS suicidal in my life or wanted MORE to stick around.

In the poignant words of my sweet little 83 year old mother that I never, never understood until after my 49th birthday when I asked her WHY she wanted to live to be 100:

Because I want to find out what happens next.

That's the best I can do and I'm sorry if I didn't even read your post but no, you are not going crazy, the forties really are this bad and abovementioned random old bat still needs a bit more time before she can be supportive instead of selfishly running away because she can't deal with being reminded just how bad this row is that you guys are still hoeing.

I don't know if it's a fifties thing or if I'm just a loser and a dork, but I want so, so, so badly to help people who are younger than me and to smooth the path for them and I literally cry and scream and shake my fist at the sky when i can't.

Oh, and you know that hilarious post I just made that had you literally laughing out loud and telling me I should do standup so I'd e a famous comedienne and all my problems would be over because I'd be rich and famous? I was bawling inconsolably when I wrote it and I came back to delete it before someone got the wrong idea and wasted the time of abovementioned nice young men who save the lives of serious suicide risks by kicking in their doors.

I'm glad you thought it was funny. Now that I look at it again, it really was. I really do like you. Sometimes I even think that you're so cuuuuuuuuuuute but I would never say it that to your faces because I remember how upset and offended it would have made me when I was a little girl your age.

I really hope someone in their sixties is reading this post and laughing and smiling at me fondly and thinking that I'm so cuuuuuuuuuuute.

And another thing: i am aware of how self-centered and shallow I must sound to you and I hate it but I don't know what to do about it other than politely requesting you sweet little girls who are so cuuuuuuuute to mentally translate every "I did this and I had this happen and it made me feel this" into "Since you publicly asked for advice, my advice is to do this and don't do that and be sure not to do THAT because I already dit it and I think you would be happier if you did something else."

And please forgive me for the genuine self-centeredness and shallowness of wanting to make myself feel better by trolling the internet looking for someone, ANYONE AT ALL, who is about to make the same mistakes I did for no other reason than so that I can pull them back from the edge of the cliff and save them and thank God for giving me the bad experience so that I would have the knowledge and power to protect someone, ANYONE AT ALL, from having to go through the same darned thing.

Mine lasted 8 years, with two bouts of fibroid-caused non-stop periods lasting about 6 months each (VERY heavy flows much of the time).  I heard from one gal whose peri stage went on for 15 years.

It's different for everybody.  Keep talking to your GYN about everything, and be HONEST -- don't hide anything.

Don't lose heart, but do pay attention and watch out for yourself.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

Women who are bleeding that much may want to see an interventional radiologist and see if they are candidates for uterine artery embolization. I have heard from those that have done it that is is great. And much less invasive than a hysterectomy. I know some that couldn't go anywhere because she was bleeding so much and got a lot of relief from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ealp2009

Nope. Often it does, but that's not a guarantee. I had an ablation and for years enjoyed regular, NORMAL periods until the super heavy anemia-causing couldn't-leave-the-house ones returned. After a year of that, I had first a D&C (unsuccessful), then had the uterus removed a few months later.

I was very pleased with the ablation. It gave me years of normal. It would have been nice if I were one of the lucky ones who never bled again, but "normal" was something I was extremely grateful for, considering what I had been dealing with.

I hate to go too far into the TMI direction, but...how? How do you have any periods when your uterus has been scarred and burned black? This was what my BIL described seeing on the real-time monitor when his wife had an ablation. It was exactly that mental image that scared me and made me not want an ablation (for a while). Hers is gone. But her body also treated it like abrupt menopause and she said she did have side-effects just as if she was in the midst of meno.

Quill, that was the best post ever!

(Y'all are scaring me. I'm 40 and hoping I still have a while to go because that sounds horrifically unfun. A year ago, at least, my FSH was nowhere near menopause, so I am hoping that's still true.)

Ă°Å¸ËœËœ

So how are not more women murderers?  Seriously...how do we manage with this crap I wonder?  I'm feeling rather depressed about some of my symptoms and a little like I'm going crazy. 

I did go a lot crazy this past January. That's why I'm now on three different anti-depressant meds and have to see a therapist once a month. I've always battled depression, but I fully believe this hormone shift and peri shi* in my 40's really pushed me over the edge. I was way out of control.

• Like 1

I hate to go too far into the TMI direction, but...how? How do you have any periods when your uterus has been scarred and burned black? This was what my BIL described seeing on the real-time monitor when his wife had an ablation. It was exactly that mental image that scared me and made me not want an ablation (for a while). Hers is gone. But her body also treated it like abrupt menopause and she said she did have side-effects just as if she was in the midst of meno.

Good genes? I dunno. My mom tells that she is one of those rare folks whose tonsils were removed but grew back, maybe with me it was the uterine lining? The human body is a thing of wonder.

Seriously, though, if one has fibroid tumors, that's usually a sign that there may be continued cycles with bleeding. Too many/too large fibroids can disqualify a gal from the procedure. I had the Novasure procedure, and in its patient info pamphlets it clearly indicates that the cessation of monthly bleeding is an often nice outcome, but that is not guaranteed.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

Mine lasted 8 years, with two bouts of fibroid-caused non-stop periods lasting about 6 months each (VERY heavy flows much of the time).  I heard from one gal whose peri stage went on for 15 years.

It's different for everybody.  Keep talking to your GYN about everything, and be HONEST -- don't hide anything.

Don't lose heart, but do pay attention and watch out for yourself.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

Yes this is the usual advice, but what exactly can the GYN do?  I've thought about making an appointment, but I suspect I'll leave there feeling discouraged and like I wasted my time. 

Hey maybe we need a social group for this. 

Yes. You do. If you go to power surge dot com, ignore the new posts and surf the archives. The mean girls won. I don't have time for that doo doo any more and I've read enough to know that you little girls have got each other's backs anyway.

Pardon me, I'll let you get back to what you were doing now. Just making sure I didn't accidentally hurt anyone's feelings because I wouldn't do that for the world and....

....maybe it is getting better. I didn't randomly tell you that your jeans made your butts look too big, did I? Well, that's an improvement, anyway....

So how are not more women murderers?  Seriously...how do we manage with this crap I wonder?  I'm feeling rather depressed about some of my symptoms and a little like I'm going crazy. 

My gyno told me back when I had some nutso hormone deals in my 30's that he's had patients who literally ran people off the road and tried to start fights due to PMS and peri. I think he secretly thinks most women are crazy- I mean he's super respectful and doesn't blow anything off, not saying that- but he clearly has seen the power of the hormone in his career, and he doesn't hide that they can make for some difficult times to deal with. He is also very quick to offer Sarafem (which I think is basically Prozac with a new patent) after ruling out physical stuff. Guessing there is a reason for that. 

Hey maybe we need a social group for this. 

That would be LOVELY. 

I did go a lot crazy this past January. That's why I'm now on three different anti-depressant meds and have to see a therapist once a month. I've always battled depression, but I fully believe this hormone shift and peri shi* in my 40's really pushed me over the edge. I was way out of control.

Yes, that is correct. Peri can exacerbate pre-existing mental health issues but it can also resemble (I forget the right word but you get the general idea) depression and anxiety so closely that even doctors can get confused and misdiagnose and mismedicate but that's a whole 'nother can of worms I have a blanket policy about not opening on WTM so just be careful, okay?

So glad you're feeling better now, freeindeed. You take care of you, hear? That's the.most.important.thing.

Yes this is the usual advice, but what exactly can the GYN do? I've thought about making an appointment, but I suspect I'll leave there feeling discouraged and like I wasted my time.

The GYN will most likely offer you drug therapy (bcp's or maybe something else) or an ablation procedure, and monitor your blood work to make sure you aren't anemic. The GYN may order an ultrasound or biopsy if there's a possibility of a problem outside of the usual peri symptoms.

If these options are unsuccessful, the GYN may offer a hysterectomy (removing or sparing the ovaries). The hysterectomy may be offered first in cases that involve extreme symptoms and tumors, but ime it's the insurance company that seems to call the shots as far as the progression of treatment, they want to know less aggressive measures have been attempted first.

YMMV, but that's how it went down with mine. I love my doctor.

[ETA I had an ablation with good results for years afterwards. Then the heavy cycles returned. I declined drug therapy because there was too much start/stop/try to figure out when you're officially post-menopause. I had a D&C in an effort to "reset" things. Two months later that was an obvious fail. Four months later I had the hysterectomy taking the uterus, cervix and tubes but sparing ovaries. Very good outcome.]

ETA 2 oh I replied with regard to treating crazy heavy bleeding. I don't know what the GYN would do to treat the rest of the craziness. My doc really preaches good exercise, good diet, good sleep.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

The GYN will most likely offer you drug therapy (bcp's or maybe something else) or an ablation procedure, and monitor your blood work to make sure you aren't anemic. The GYN may order an ultrasound or biopsy if there's a possibility of a problem outside of the usual peri symptoms.

If these options are unsuccessful, the GYN may offer a hysterectomy (removing or sparing the ovaries). The hysterectomy may be offered first in cases that involve extreme symptoms and tumors, but ime it's the insurance company that seems to call the shots as far as the progression of treatment, they want to know less aggressive measures have been attempted first.

YMMV, but that's how it went down with mine. I love my doctor.

I have had many ultrasounds so I don't need one of those.  I cannot do hormone therapy. 

So I'm thinking that leaves no options. 

Because we are so much more awesome than we give ourselves credit for!!! Next time you read your kids a story about a mad scientist who wants to create life, you need to remember to laugh maniacally and poke your kid and say, "Nya nya nya! I did it and you can't!!! Nya Nya Nya!!!!" and if your kid is snarky enough to mention that you couldn't have done it without Dad, just point out that the (male) mad scientist can't do it even WITH dad!!!!!!

When you get to be my age you won't admire female politicians or female scientists or women who have unassisted births or breastfeed their three year olds anywhere NEAR as much as you will admire polite, self-deprecating little old ladies who smile and say, "Honey, I don't know anything at all about that because they didn't have that back in my day, but thank you so much for trying to help. You young people these days are so smart. I could never...."

• Like 2

ETA 2 oh I replied with regard to treating crazy heavy bleeding. I don't know what the GYN would do to treat the rest of the craziness. My doc really preaches good exercise, good diet, good sleep.

The bleeding is long lasting, but not in amount I can't deal with. 

I'm doing the good exercise, good diet, good sleep.  Maybe I'd feel worse without those, but it's not magical by any stretch.

Eh..I feel ok at the moment.  My symptoms are just strange.  And often by the time I get up the nerve to call a doctor they are gone and I'm onto some other weird symptom.  Maybe I'm just crazy.  That's not impossible.  LOL 

I have no women in my life so it's helpful to ask other women what they go through.  At least I don't think I'm that odd after reading these posts. 

• Like 3

Because we are so much more awesome than we give ourselves credit for!!! Next time you read your kids a story about a mad scientist who wants to create life, you need to remember to laugh maniacally and poke your kid and say, "Nya nya nya! I did it and you can't!!! Nya Nya Nya!!!!" and if your kid is snarky enough to mention that you couldn't have done it without Dad, just point out that the (male) mad scientist can't do it even WITH dad!!!!!!

When you get to be my age you won't admire female politicians or female scientists or women who have unassisted births or breastfeed their three year olds anywhere NEAR as much as you will admire polite, self-deprecating little old ladies who smile and say, "Honey, I don't know anything at all about that because they didn't have that back in my day, but thank you so much for trying to help. You young people these days are so smart. I could never...."

old ladies are the best

I'm not joking.  I've always enjoyed talking to older people. 

I have almost 10  years on you - I'll be 62 in a few months. I spent nearly 15 years in perimenopause though I didn't recognize it at first because I gave birth to my first and only child a month before I turned 42 (I apparently had one good egg left). I thought some of it was post pregnancy hormones when it was more likely perimenopause symptoms. There WERE things that reduced the symptoms of that natural process of aging we women get to experience. Of course nothing makes it go away because of the aforementioned fact that it's a natural process. Some experience few symptoms. Some experience mild symptoms. Some get everything and some get it as bad as it can possibly get. But we all go through it. 

I DO NOT admire those little old ladies who know nothing at all about things today, nor do I want to become one of them myself. I prefer to stay informed of current technology, scientific discoveries, medical breakthroughs. I like keeping my mind and body active. 

Did I enjoy going through perimenopause? No, not at all. Do I think everything is better post menopause? Again no, and I even posted in this thread about problems that arise once you're fully through it. But it is what it is and I won't be condescending to those who are currently going through it and trying to find a way to deal with it. And if I can help them because I've BTDT, I will, if they ask. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4

This entire thread makes me want to take up drinking as a primary hobby.  :crying:

Despite the horror stories It's really not that bad. I figure perimenopause is sort of like pregnancy--almost every woman has a story and wants to share the worst parts in an "I survived it, yay me!" kinda way.

Take it one day at a time and try to keep your sense of humor. You WILL get through it and come out okay on the other side.

:grouphug:

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1