Menu

Does this whole peri shi* go away ever? Or get better?

SparklyUnicorn

Despite the horror stories It's really not that bad. I figure perimenopause is sort of like pregnancy--almost every woman has a story and wants to share the worst parts in an "I survived it, yay me!" kinda way.

Take it one day at a time and try to keep your sense of humor. You WILL get through it and come out okay on the other side.

:grouphug:

I'm sure it is obvious I'm not an optimist. 

I do better when I'm busy.  At the moment I'm not busy enough so don't have that distraction.  I know that is a huge part of it.

• Like 1

TMI, but damn I bleed for almost 3 weeks straight in a month. I'm not joking.  It's very light for most of that, but it's there.  It's disturbing.  It's just really really stupid.

Me too.

I am also starving today!!!  I eat and then a half hour later I start feeling hungry again.  It is crazy. I am on my off couple of weeks so I am betting I will start up again soon.  They just did another hysteroscopy and did not find anything..that is good except that means this craziness is just my normal until it goes away...argh.  I do not even want to know how much that whole procedure will cost us too.

I read a book on the Victorians and it discussed so many women being diagnosed with hysteria back then. I'm betting between this and PMS there's your answer why. Can you imagine no one to talk to about it, no real gyno you could go see, not many tests to even tell you WHY your body was crazy, no pads, no tampons. I honestly don't know how they dealt back then. I mean what the heck if you got a yeast infection?!?! Would you just itch yourself to death? And hot flashes? They probably all thought they were dying. I'd be hysterical too. Hell, with all the benefits of "modern" medicine I still can feel like throwing a good fit now and then over the whole thing. 

I think we really need to work on the social group name. 

What should we call the social group?

(bracing myself for the colorful ideas...LMAO)

There's also Red Solo Cup, for those of us who used to use a Diva Cup but now need...something more substantial.

• Like 2

There's also Red Solo Cup, for those of us who used to use a Diva Cup but now need...something more substantial.

:lol: We can fill another with liquor while we're at it! 

Yes I quit drinking.  I'm having second thoughts on this....

The escape was nice...

I just refuse to totally give it up. My limit is two glasses of wine, and I only have that about once a month. Otherwise, I really don't think I could make it through this hormonal nightmare.

• Like 2

Yes this is the usual advice, but what exactly can the GYN do?  I've thought about making an appointment, but I suspect I'll leave there feeling discouraged and like I wasted my time. 

Your GYN can look into whatever is going on in your case, and perhaps prescribe hormone or other treatment to help.  In my case we started talking hysterectomy if the other measures we were trying continued to fail to pan out -- as it turned out, one of the pills worked, and got my unending periods back under some semblance of control.  Things were pretty serious for me for a bit; had that particular attempt not worked, and had the fibroids not dissolved on their own shortly after, I would have had that hysterectomy.  I was very drained and nearly non-functional at one point.

Even if you don't want to take certain measures yet it is wise to have your GYN involved in what's going on with you, so if anything takes a serious turn they can act more quickly to help you.  For most people this isn't an issue, but some do have problems that warrant medical intervention.  Consider having your GYN involved as a form of insurance -- you hope you don't actually need it, but if you do you will be glad you have it.

Remember that movie Fried Green Tomatoes from the 80's or early 90's? Wasn't Kathy Bate's character going through menopause in that movie? I need to watch it again. I used to love that movie when I was a teenager. Ha. Little did I know. I remember her yelling "Tiwanda!!!!!!" and then smashing cars or walls or what ever. That's what this thread it making me thing of now.  It's our own little virtual Whistle Stop Cafe. :)

Oh, man. Peri turned my occasional migraines into daily migraines. Daily! After two years of hell, I finally found the right medicine and the right dose to reduce them to just three or so per week . . . and I just found out that it's causing cardiac arrhythmia and I may have to stop taking it (waiting for appointment with a cardiologist to find out). :crying:

If I have to go off the migraine meds, I am seriously considering begging my OBGYN for a hysterectomy so that I can just get this process over with, instead of letting it drag out for ten or fifteen more years.

Were you taking elavil (amytriptiline) by chance? I have daily migraines and that was my perfect migraine med until it caused heart issues for me. The thought that peri will make my migraines worse is making me hyperventilate a bit. :sad:
  • Like 1

Were you taking elavil (amytriptiline) by chance? I have daily migraines and that was my perfect migraine med until it caused heart issues for me. The thought that peri will make my migraines worse is making me hyperventilate a bit. :sad:

Yes, it is amitriptyline! So the impact on your heart was bad enough that your doctor took you off of it? I'm very afraid that's going to be the case for me. Did you find an effective alternative? I've never tried topomax because the side effects sound pretty unpleasant. But I guess they're not as unpleasant as migraines!

I sincerely hope that peri won't make them worse for you! My OBGYN says it's very different for different people and my body's reaction is unusually bad. So maybe yours will be better!

Yes, it is amitriptyline! So the impact on your heart was bad enough that your doctor took you off of it? I'm very afraid that's going to be the case for me. Did you find an effective alternative? I've never tried topomax because the side effects sound pretty unpleasant. But I guess they're not as unpleasant as migraines!

I sincerely hope that peri won't make them worse for you! My OBGYN says it's very different for different people and my body's reaction is unusually bad. So maybe yours will be better!

Yes my resting heart rate was in the 130's-140's so I had to stop taking it. I tried propranolol with middling results, and then my neurologist put in a referral for Botox shots (which are working for now). Prior to approving Botox, I had to do a trial of topomax, but it was so hard on my stomach (like a month long colonoscopy prep! :blush: ) and the tingling in my hands and face were terrible. I hope you find a good replacement med. Daily migraines are horrible.

• Like 1

Remember that movie Fried Green Tomatoes from the 80's or early 90's? Wasn't Kathy Bate's character going through menopause in that movie? I need to watch it again. I used to love that movie when I was a teenager. Ha. Little did I know. I remember her yelling "Tiwanda!!!!!!" and then smashing cars or walls or what ever. That's what this thread it making me thing of now.  It's our own little virtual Whistle Stop Cafe.  :)

I believe she was going through menopause.  The movie was good, but the book is better!

• Like 4

Your GYN can look into whatever is going on in your case, and perhaps prescribe hormone or other treatment to help.  In my case we started talking hysterectomy if the other measures we were trying continued to fail to pan out -- as it turned out, one of the pills worked, and got my unending periods back under some semblance of control.  Things were pretty serious for me for a bit; had that particular attempt not worked, and had the fibroids not dissolved on their own shortly after, I would have had that hysterectomy.  I was very drained and nearly non-functional at one point.

Even if you don't want to take certain measures yet it is wise to have your GYN involved in what's going on with you, so if anything takes a serious turn they can act more quickly to help you.  For most people this isn't an issue, but some do have problems that warrant medical intervention.  Consider having your GYN involved as a form of insurance -- you hope you don't actually need it, but if you do you will be glad you have it.

hormones are "the" go to treatment and I can't take them

So I think that does limit things quite a bit.  I'd feel silly to go there and complain about everything and then reject the one and only treatment there is. 

Are there other treatments? 

• Like 1

I read a book on the Victorians and it discussed so many women being diagnosed with hysteria back then. I'm betting between this and PMS there's your answer why. Can you imagine no one to talk to about it, no real gyno you could go see, not many tests to even tell you WHY your body was crazy, no pads, no tampons. I honestly don't know how they dealt back then. I mean what the heck if you got a yeast infection?!?! Would you just itch yourself to death? And hot flashes? They probably all thought they were dying. I'd be hysterical too. Hell, with all the benefits of "modern" medicine I still can feel like throwing a good fit now and then over the whole thing. 

I think we really need to work on the social group name. 

I did luck out in the PMS department.  I generally don't notice anything during that TOM.  Well, except NOW.  Now I  notice.  Cuz now it's a kick in the head annoying. 

Oh well modern medicine.  I think that is also in part that people say stuff like this is a natural process.  Feeling like a homicidal bi*ch is a strange natural process. 

I believe she was going through menopause. The movie was good, but the book is better!

Second this. I just read that book about a month ago and it was awesome. All the things were there: feeling invisible, husband irritated her out of her mind, candy-candy-candy-candy. The Tawanda alter-ego was fantastic.

• Like 5

Yes my resting heart rate was in the 130's-140's so I had to stop taking it. I tried propranolol with middling results, and then my neurologist put in a referral for Botox shots (which are working for now). Prior to approving Botox, I had to do a trial of topomax, but it was so hard on my stomach (like a month long colonoscopy prep! :blush: ) and the tingling in my hands and face were terrible. I hope you find a good replacement med. Daily migraines are horrible.

Daily migraines are horrible indeed! I'm so sorry you've had to live with them too. But I'm glad to hear the Botox is helping you. My neurologist has strongly recommended Botox, but I was hesitant because I just don't see how it's going to help. My migraines are clearly hormonal in nature, and Botox treats muscle tension, right? I don't see the connection. But the fact remains that it does seem to work for a lot of people, so I will give it a try if they take me off the ami. Propranolol did nothing for me. I also tried a calcium channel blocker, can't remember what it was called, and I had such a horrible reaction to it that it was scary. So ami is the first thing that has worked. I've been having memory and concentration problems lately, and I read that's one of the potential side effects from topomax, so I was nervous about it mostly for that reason. If it made my memory problems any worse than they already are, that would be terrible! Didn't even know about the digestive problems! :-(

I'm on Inderal and Topomax for migraine prevention. The Topomax side effects are quite bothersome, but it has worked absolute wonders for preventing my migraines. The side effects do taper off a bit as your body adjusts to the medication.

Edited by freeindeed
  • Like 1

I'm on Inderal and Topomax for migraine prevention. The Topomax side effects are quite bothersome, but it has worked absolute wonders for preventing my migraines. The side effects do taper off a bit as your body adjusts to the medication.

My daughter is on Lamictal and it has worked wonders for her migraines. Not sure though it works well for others.

• Like 1

So, at what point would you call the doctor right away, rather than just waiting for a regularly scheduled appointment?

TMI coming up!

I've had the heavy bleeding off and on for quite a while.  I had it as a teenager and almost any time I haven't been pregnant or on the pill, so not a new thing really.  Usually I get one day really heavy and the rest normal or light.  And the heavy is obnoxious but not -can't leave the house for even an hour because I'll bleed through everything- heavy, kwim?  My doctor is aware, has suggested ablation but we've just kind of been seeing how things go.

I was due for my period three weeks ago.  I am SOOOOOO glad it didn't come on time because that's when we were camping and it would have been a true PITA to deal with.  But, it came last week and has now been 5 days of super-duper heavy, can't go even an hour without changing doubled-up overnight pads, large clots.  I mean this is a whole different level over my previous "heavy" periods.  Went to church this morning and was changing pads three times in the hour and a half we were there, and I wasn't doing anything more strenuous than standing up for hymns.

I'm trying to decide if I just get through it, go to the doctor when I'm due for an appointment in a month or two, or if I should call tomorrow and get in right away.  

I would try and go in right away. I'd file that under "unusual and sudden change" and think it worth a visit. For the price of a copay, assuming that's the case I don't see why not. I know my doctor has gotten me and other patients in and had a same day ultrasound for similar cases to see what the heck was going on.

I would try and go in right away. I'd file that under "unusual and sudden change" and think it worth a visit. For the price of a copay, assuming that's the case I don't see why not. I know my doctor has gotten me and other patients in and had a same day ultrasound for similar cases to see what the heck was going on.

Thank you for your response!  I didn't even think of the "unusual and sudden change" part of it.  This definitely qualifies.  I'll call in the morning.

My daughter is on Lamictal and it has worked wonders for her migraines. Not sure though it works well for others.

Thank you both - this is good to know!

I've never heard of Lamictal before but I will ask my neurologist about it.

So, at what point would you call the doctor right away, rather than just waiting for a regularly scheduled appointment?

I agree with texasmom: you're completely justified in an immediate appointment. :grouphug:

I will say that at the moment provers is my friend. Dr. Gave me 10 days if it....and after 30+ days of flow it stopped....what a wonderful thing. She said that if this doesn't reset things a bit then we might have to look at ultrasound or something. For now I will enjoy my days off

I will say that at the moment provers is my friend. Dr. Gave me 10 days if it....and after 30+ days of flow it stopped....what a wonderful thing. She said that if this doesn't reset things a bit then we might have to look at ultrasound or something. For now I will enjoy my days off

Provera? I think autocorrect got ya. Just checking to see what you originally said!

I took that before.  Depressed the hell out of me unfortunately.  I will say it was magical while it lasted though. 

Doctor warned me of the side effects but hopefully I will be OK since it is just a few days.

I've used that as a "reset" type of thing before. It worked for me and I didn't have another issue for many years.  Hope it works for you too!