Menu

Does this whole peri shi* go away ever? Or get better?

SparklyUnicorn

Please tell me it does.  Please.....

I swear I have every odd arse symptom and all the usual ones.  I'm really really having a hell of a time with it.

The latest?  I'm SO SO DAMN HUNGRY.  I don't even know how that can be.  Grrrr....  But apparently this isn't totally unusual with hormone issues.

I need a break from this.

I will trade a few of your symptoms for mine of a "faucet" that hasn't turned off in 4 weeks😣

Ugh.  Mine will probably start right before my flight on the way to vacation.  With my luck it will last my whole vacation including the flight back.  Ugh ugh ugh.

• Like 2

Is there anything to do to stop the flow? Four weeks is just way too long. I see the doctor Friday for a new patient appointment

When mine is very heavy, ibuprofen reduces the flooding.  I don't know about stopping it.  Some days I'm just glad to go a whole hour between emergencies.  :/

• Like 1

Oh, man. Peri turned my occasional migraines into daily migraines. Daily! After two years of hell, I finally found the right medicine and the right dose to reduce them to just three or so per week . . . and I just found out that it's causing cardiac arrhythmia and I may have to stop taking it (waiting for appointment with a cardiologist to find out). :crying:

If I have to go off the migraine meds, I am seriously considering begging my OBGYN for a hysterectomy so that I can just get this process over with, instead of letting it drag out for ten or fifteen more years.

• Like 1

I think I'm done. . . .  I still have "stuff" - which dd raided when she was here and her cycle started.

hot flashes . .  you'd think they'd help when it's freezing outside . . . nope.

my thyroid and hormones have other issues though.

Just this morning I was thinking ... maybe we should all have a plan for all the good times we're gonna have when we finally make it to full-on menopause.  For starters a little private party!  Then a pad/tampon burning (though my kids will probably want them by then).  Next, to experience travel without bringing bags full of "necessities."

Or just to be able to work all day without being hampered by Mental Pause and hormonal stress and fatigue ....

I mean this might be even more exciting than retirement.  Seriously.  This thought was a picker-upper for me today.  :P

• Like 7

I'm trying to figure out how to combat the constant hunger.  It's awful.  I never had this problem before!!!

I got the Middle Age Spread.  It sucks.  I refuse to accept it.  I am still saying that I'll be back into my old clothes by this August.  :P

• Like 3

(((((((((((((((((((([red]ALL OF YOU[red])))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I'm two years post. I take notes from chronic illness moms. I miss me. I want to tell you all that it gets better and float off into the sunset like Ruth Gordon in a purple dress with a boytoy hanging from my arm who is young enough to be my grandson but the best I can do is validate your reality and your justifiable anger that nobody ever warned you about this.

You are all very, very brave.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

(((((((((((((((((((([red]ALL OF YOU[red])))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I'm two years post. I take notes from chronic illness moms. I miss me. I want to tell you all that it gets better and float off into the sunset like Ruth Gordon in a purple dress with a boytoy hanging from my arm who is young enough to be my grandson but the best I can do is validate your reality and your justifiable anger that nobody ever warned you about this.

You are all very, very brave.

Shoot. An older friend once told me that once you're through menopause, it's so wonderful and freeing that you feel like you're ten years old again. I knew it sounded too good to be true, but I was trying very hard to believe it. *Sigh* 

• Like 1

Ugh, no way. I keep telling myself that it's got to get better once I finally hit menopause. Someone please tell me this is true!

My friends that have gone through it have started telling me even scarier things that make me want to bury my head in the sand because they make hot flashes seem minor in comparison. I wish they had let me live in ignorant bliss. It all started with me asking a stupid question after seeing the pharmaceutical commercial with the gray headed lady trying to be seductive in a man's shirt, and then the commercial started talking about thinning walls and dryness and it was like NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Now I wish I'd never asked. Or else maybe I need less honest friends. 

Edited by texasmom33

I'm sure it's different for everyone - fortunately or unfortunately.

I know there are always some spry white-haired ladies whenever I go on guided hikes and stuff.  I recall a couple of particularly fun-loving ladies at Machupicchu.  That's how I want it to be for me.  :)

• Like 3

I'm impressed your friends are discussing it.  I remember discussing all kinds of pregnancy and  baby and toddler stuff.  However, NO ONE talks about "the change."  I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying this conversation.  You guys are making me laugh!!  Thank you.

I have one friend who will say a few things, presumably because she can sense that I'm "that age."  She's a few years ahead of me.

I do have one older friend who hardly even noticed she went through menopause.  Weird, huh? Though in retrospect, there were some signs, I was just too young to think it might be menopause.  :P

One of my co-workers is somewhat sympathetic.  She never said much before I started bitching about my issues though.  So for me, it was pretty much a total surprise.  :/

I'm impressed your friends are discussing it.  I remember discussing all kinds of pregnancy and  baby and toddler stuff.  However, NO ONE talks about "the change."  I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying this conversation.  You guys are making me laugh!!  Thank you.

I think they enjoy making me have this look on my face:  :scared: followed soon after by  :crying: . Then they laugh and say "oh it's not really that bad!" then the other says "oh yes it is!" and then they drink more wine and laugh. 

Here are spoiler alerts for what I'm being told if any of you other pre-menopause gals are wondering...... This thread is making me in a place of if I have to know y'all do to. :p

You experts can feel free to confirm or deny or laugh silently at us. 

Important things pointed out by my post-menopause friends: 

1. Perhaps laser hair removal of the TeA Room in one's 20's and 30's  isn't such a good idea after all as carpeting helps cover up the ravages of gravity, that apparently affect all body parts? The friend who had it would definitely not recommend it if she had a do over. She said stick to waxing. 

2. On that same front, all carpeting eventually goes gray. 

3. TeA brewing becomes sort of uncomfortable (or sometimes more than sort of) and TeA parties become less common. I'd say it's a mixed result on some being happy about that and others not. I think this is actually the one that horrifies me the most though. I'm told I might feel differently in a few years, but I don't see that happening. Apparently there are remedies though that seem to help........

4. Periods can go on and off for YEARS before you're officially in the big M. 

5. Hair grows in weird places. 

6. Hot flashes can apparently be so bad that you want to rip your clothes off and lie naked on tile. 

7. Then they tell me the memory goes and laugh and then say the forgot everything else.........

8. If you think PMS is bad, just wait. 

This sums up most of what I can recall from recent chats. I may have blocked some of it out though. They all tell me this while smiling. The looks on their faces sort of remind me of women who have had five kids listening to the first time pregnant lady talking about her birthplan, post baby workout regimen, and how her baby will sleep through the night instantly because she read a book about it. It's that same sort of look. I'm not sure if they're messing with me or not, but the pharmaceutical commercial gave me great pause because I really thought the whole thing was a year or two of wacky hormones and then no more period, but everything else would be the same except my face wouldn't break out every month or two. I'm pretty sure now that's not how it's going to go down. 

Oh I forgot one: insomnia. But I already knew about that one from ladies I used to work with who always talked about how exhausted they were but couldn't sleep. 

I never had the "opportunity" to go through peri. I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago due to ovarian cancer. It put the brakes on immediately. I remember for a while having that hungry all the time thing, but it didn't last long at all. Unfortunately, hot flashes have never stopped. They do seem to cycle between nearly gone and horrifying though, so I get some breaks in there. Insomnia is the worst. I have not been able to sleep more than a couple nights a week for over 5 years now. I thought it was due to the hot flashes, but even when they are nearly absent, the insomnia persists. My emotions were never affected by my periods and I have never had any emotional effects from menopause, thankfully. My mom still has night sweats and she is 71. 

• Like 1

I don't know if it is a placebo effect or if it is really helping the insomnia but I started taking a women's vitamin for middle age women with iron and after a few days I started sleeping through the night about 5-6 days a week vs. maybe 1 night a week.  I could always fall asleep easily but would wake up at 2, 3, or 4 and then not fall asleep for hours.

• Like 2

I'm 48 and have had horrible insomnia for the past year or so. An older friend warned me about it years ago and said it was the worst part of perimenopause for her. I'm so glad she told me because I'd be feeling like a crazy person if she hadn't. No hot flashes for me yet, though...

• Like 1

Oh, man. Peri turned my occasional migraines into daily migraines. Daily! After two years of hell, I finally found the right medicine and the right dose to reduce them to just three or so per week . . . and I just found out that it's causing cardiac arrhythmia and I may have to stop taking it (waiting for appointment with a cardiologist to find out). :crying:

If I have to go off the migraine meds, I am seriously considering begging my OBGYN for a hysterectomy so that I can just get this process over with, instead of letting it drag out for ten or fifteen more years.

Oh, that sounds so awful. I only get a couple migraines a month, but they make me miserable. I can't imagine having them every day!

I hope there is another medication that will help you.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I never had the "opportunity" to go through peri. I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago due to ovarian cancer. It put the brakes on immediately. I remember for a while having that hungry all the time thing, but it didn't last long at all. Unfortunately, hot flashes have never stopped. They do seem to cycle between nearly gone and horrifying though, so I get some breaks in there. Insomnia is the worst. I have not been able to sleep more than a couple nights a week for over 5 years now. I thought it was due to the hot flashes, but even when they are nearly absent, the insomnia persists. My emotions were never affected by my periods and I have never had any emotional effects from menopause, thankfully. My mom still has night sweats and she is 71. 

There should seriously be a rule against that. 71?!?! That's just so wrong. Your poor Mom! 

Also, glad you came through the ovarian cancer. How scary that had to be. 

sure, it goes away at menopause but that opens up a whole 'nother box. 

Seriously, my peri was awful, terrible, horrible.  My doctor said in his almost 30 years of practicing GYN medicine, he could count on 1 hand how many women had it as hard as I did.  Mine started at 42 and I went into menopause 52.  90% of my hormonal issues did improve at menopause.  But, now I'm faced with aging issues. 

Read, read, read, and read some more.  Get consults then 2nd opinions.  Don't jump to anything surgical if you can avoid it.  Sometimes you can't.  But, if you can, consider the long term consequences. 

Try all your "natural" remedies and helps.  Be cautious about soy products.  Be aware of xenoestrogens.  Support your adrenals.  Stay hydrated. 

Consider all your options. 

• Like 1

This sums up most of what I can recall from recent chats. I may have blocked some of it out though. They all tell me this while smiling. The looks on their faces sort of remind me of women who have had five kids listening to the first time pregnant lady talking about her birthplan, post baby workout regimen, and how her baby will sleep through the night instantly because she read a book about it. It's that same sort of look. I'm not sure if they're messing with me or not, but the pharmaceutical commercial gave me great pause because I really thought the whole thing was a year or two of wacky hormones and then no more period, but everything else would be the same except my face wouldn't break out every month or two. I'm pretty sure now that's not how it's going to go down.

I can't remember if you are older or younger than I am; I think younger, but I already have a clue that you are right, that is not how it all goes down. Some of my friends are through it; the majority are in the throws of peri, as am I. (I'm 46.)

I have some kooky periods now, and they can come with narry a breather in between, like, "Hello?! What the hell are you doing back, Aunt Flo? I just stuck you on the plane back to Florida two weeks ago! And plus, I was planning to go to the beach this week, you old b!tch!" Other times, she just stays in Florida for months, making me wonder when I can wear my cute undies again.

And PMS had nothing on the rage that I can have these days. I'm camping out in the Leave-Me-Alone, Make-No-Noise, Why-Must-I-Go-Buy-Groceries-Again stage for a week sometimes.

Libido, Schmabido. I barely care. That is one thing that seems to me better on the other side. "Sorry, honey, but I have no Nether Tissue anymore, so get your hand busy or take a cold shower. I'm out."

My SIL recently had a D&C because of a faucet that refused to shut off. That does not seem like the worst idea to me. In fact, another SIL had an ablation a while back and I was all, "Oh, no, I don't want my spongy, pink uterus to be charred black by a scalding balloon!" But now, I'm like, "Burn that bitch out! You're TOAST, you dang, over-productive rubber ball of nastiness!"

I think probably the best thing about meno is getting to where you no longer give two forks what anybody thinks. I'm halfway there. Estrogen is the Sweetness and Light hormone and I'm fresh out. Let Verizon screw up my bill again. Hell hath no fury like a women with too little Estrogen.

• Like 15

My SIL recently had a D&C because of a faucet that refused to shut off. That does not seem like the worst idea to me. In fact, another SIL had an ablation a while back and I was all, "Oh, no, I don't want my spongy, pink uterus to be charred black by a scalding balloon!" But now, I'm like, "Burn that bitch out! You're TOAST, you dang, over-productive rubber ball of nastiness!"

Oh man Quill you just made me completely bust out on that one!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I have a friend that had the ablation thing at 35 and she thinks it's the greatest thing of all time. 

I'm 40 so just a little younger than you, but y'all are just making me SO excited about all of this.  :glare:

Ugh, no way. I keep telling myself that it's got to get better once I finally hit menopause. Someone please tell me this is true!

My friends that have gone through it have started telling me even scarier things that make me want to bury my head in the sand because they make hot flashes seem minor in comparison. I wish they had let me live in ignorant bliss. It all started with me asking a stupid question after seeing the pharmaceutical commercial with the gray headed lady trying to be seductive in a man's shirt, and then the commercial started talking about thinning walls and dryness and it was like NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Now I wish I'd never asked. Or else maybe I need less honest friends. 

I'd like to tell you it gets better but it's mixed. The insomnia, mood swings, and hot flashes do go away but there are other issues, including what texasmom's friend told her. Things get dry. Your eyes, your skin, your hair, and um, other things.

Unfortunately "dried up old prune" has some basis in reality. :(

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

Fully menopausal here. (57 now, last period at 54)

I have one answer: bioidentical hormone cream. Saved my and my husband's lives. Helps with hot flashes, rageyness, dryness and more. Love it!

So do they have to monitor you closely on that to get the balance right? I've been curious about it. A friend that had to have a hysterectomy in her 30's used it for quite a while and swore by it,  but it seemed a lot of trial and error. I have never been sure if it was as risky as the old Premarin they used to put everyone on by default. After this thread though I'm thinking some elevated heart attack risk with Premarin might be worth getting rid of all the symptoms you're listing! 

So do they have to monitor you closely on that to get the balance right? I've been curious about it. A friend that had to have a hysterectomy in her 30's used it for quite a while and swore by it, but it seemed a lot of trial and error. I have never been sure if it was as risky as the old Premarin they used to put everyone on by default. After this thread though I'm thinking some elevated heart attack risk with Premarin might be worth getting rid of all the symptoms you're listing!

I had a saliva hormone test, with the doc writing the Rx based on that. The strength has been raised twice in 5 years as some symptoms returned. No further testing. Symptoms were fairly mild and the whole thing has been quite easy for me.

I am 51 and my period is incredibly regular. I did manage to figure out about a year ago that my raging bad mood and over-reactions to everything (seriously I was a walking raging ball of fury constantly) was related to peri-menopause. I started using progesterone cream and it has helped SO SO much. I am much more level and calm now. However, in January I had my mammogram and the radiologist picked up on an area of change. I had a diagnostic mammogram and an ultrasound. She told me that had it always been there she wouldn't think twice about it. But because it was a change she was concerned. She said that it could be due to "hormone surges" related to peri-meno. I have to go back in July for another diagnostic and possible ultrasound. Depending on what it shows, I may have to have a biopsy. I am scared shitless.

Yikes. Hoping for good news!

I am 51 and my period is incredibly regular.  I did manage to figure out about a year ago that my raging bad mood and over-reactions to everything (seriously I was a walking raging ball of fury constantly) was related to peri-menopause.  I started using progesterone cream and it has helped SO SO much.  I am much more level and calm now.  However, in January I had my mammogram and the radiologist picked up on an area of change.  I had a diagnostic mammogram and an ultrasound.  She told me that had it always been there she wouldn't think twice about it. But because it was a change she was concerned.  She said that it could be due to "hormone surges" related to peri-meno.  I have to go back in July for another diagnostic and possible ultrasound.  Depending on what it shows, I may have to have a biopsy.  I am scared shitless. 

:grouphug:  

I am 51 and my period is incredibly regular.  I did manage to figure out about a year ago that my raging bad mood and over-reactions to everything (seriously I was a walking raging ball of fury constantly) was related to peri-menopause.  I started using progesterone cream and it has helped SO SO much.  I am much more level and calm now.  However, in January I had my mammogram and the radiologist picked up on an area of change.  I had a diagnostic mammogram and an ultrasound.  She told me that had it always been there she wouldn't think twice about it. But because it was a change she was concerned.  She said that it could be due to "hormone surges" related to peri-meno.  I have to go back in July for another diagnostic and possible ultrasound.  Depending on what it shows, I may have to have a biopsy.  I am scared shitless. 

oh man..sorry...I hope it's nothing and I hope you can manage to not go crazy thinking about this

I'm so sorry you're going through this stress. Hopefully, it will turn out to be perfectly normal. I remember reading that the vast majority of biopsies are benign, so even if you have to have one, chances are it will be okay.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I can't remember if you are older or younger than I am; I think younger, but I already have a clue that you are right, that is not how it all goes down. Some of my friends are through it; the majority are in the throws of peri, as am I. (I'm 46.)

I have some kooky periods now, and they can come with narry a breather in between, like, "Hello?! What the hell are you doing back, Aunt Flo? I just stuck you on the plane back to Florida two weeks ago! And plus, I was planning to go to the beach this week, you old b!tch!" Other times, she just stays in Florida for months, making me wonder when I can wear my cute undies again.

And PMS had nothing on the rage that I can have these days. I'm camping out in the Leave-Me-Alone, Make-No-Noise, Why-Must-I-Go-Buy-Groceries-Again stage for a week sometimes.

Libido, Schmabido. I barely care. That is one thing that seems to me better on the other side. "Sorry, honey, but I have no Nether Tissue anymore, so get your hand busy or take a cold shower. I'm out."

I think probably the best thing about meno is getting to where you no longer give two forks what anybody thinks. I'm halfway there. Estrogen is the Sweetness and Light hormone and I'm fresh out. Let Verizon screw up my bill again. Hell hath no fury like a women with too little Estrogen.

There aren't enough likes in the world.  The above bolded is my life right now.  Not super fun for my marriage...but like you said, I don't have two forks to give.  

• Like 2

Haha, yep. If you think a women with pregnancy hormones is not to be messed with, she pales in comparison to a woman whose estrogen making days are behind her.

• Like 4

I could be a nun..  I'm too frigid for a nun.

And bring on the medical intervention.  Although, unfortunately, I'm high risk for OV CA so I'm not doing hormones. 

• Like 2