Menu

Master bathroom related--help me decide

Barb_

All other things being equal, which would make you more likely to purchase this house?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Whis is most attractive to you?

• Neutral tile and jetted tub
    • Neutral tile and larger shower
    • Jetted tub and interesting tile (even if it's not "me", but chosen by a professional))
    • Larger shower and interesting tile

We've almost decided to put the soaking tub back into the master bathroom.  The insurance adjuster gave us an allowance for a jetted tub if we choose to do it.  It would cost another $1K or so for the jets and if we don't use it, we can move the money elsewhere.  Our shower is small--36x40, so a lot of people have been urging us to rip out the tub and enlarge the shower, but our bathroom is only not quite 90sqft outside the water closet, so the shower can't really get any wider, just longer. 

Also, the designer I saw is pushing me toward boring tile for resale purposes.  We aren't sure if we will just sell it or move back in so that's a consideration.  But I've seen some really pretty accent tiles I'd love to have with some more personality.  Done well, it would look like a current custom or model home.  I feel like I need to overcome the size of the bathroom because the newer homes in this area have much larger master bathrooms and closets for the square footage. I would have her help me choose something pleasing, so even if it weren't your taste it would be designed by someone who knows what she is doing.  I do not.

Other.

LARGER SHOWER with Neutral tile and interesting accents, very limited accents.

We just had our falling-apart bathtub redone. Our bathroom is tiny, but even the extra six inches in the tub makes a world of difference. I'd go for size before anything else, but if there is a way to do mostly neutral tile with subtle interesting accents I'd go for that.

Pretty is nice, but extra space is sooooooo much better.

Edited by Rebel Yell

I'm going to go with neutral tile and jetted tub - I think interesting tile can make it more appealing, but even professionals can pick out stuff that's completely hideous imo, so it could go either way... and probably more risky in the wrong way than in the right way, so I'd go neutral if resale is the only reason. Since you might move back instead of sell it, you might want to take the risk of more interesting tile.

Edited by luuknam

2dd bought a house last fall. (it was two years old.)  huge bathroom,double sinks, lots of floor space.  all the other homes in their subdivision have garden tubs/separate shower in the master.  they don't - they have a big shower with overhead rain shower as well as a typical showerhead.  I guess the original owner bought it early enough to change out the tub for increased shower.

the other thing I would recommend for the shower - get a really good shower head.  they love their rain head shower.

and make 'em tall. 

• Like 1

The jetted tub would be a no go for me.  I don't want to be in one of those things because of the icky germy factor, and I also don't want to be cleaning that thing perpetually. 

Disclaimer: I have OCD, but I know others who don't who also dislike the jet tubs for the same reasons.

• Like 4

Our master bath has a garden tub with a weird counter space at the end and separate shower stall on the other side of the room. If I could have designed it, I would replace the garden tub with a longer tub with included shower and turn the space given to the separate shower into a linen closet. We don't use the garden tub because it's too short to stretch out your legs in, particularly for my 6 ft tall husband. I think the people who built it cheaped out on the size of the tub as there's room to make it a decent amount longer. I also despise the glass shower door with all my being and would hate having to clean a jetted tub.

Definitely neutral tile and add interest with some sort of art you can take with you--maybe a stained glass panel to hang in the window?

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 1

I would want a tub.  It wouldn't have to have jets.  We built a few years ago and put in a tub with air jets.  I love it, but don't use it as much as I thought I would.

There are a lot of people that do prefer a big shower.  If you have a tub somewhere else in the house, you could get by with the larger shower.

I would like an interesting tile.  We just renovated a bathroom in our old house (we didn't get it sold when we built) and we did a fun patterned tile on the floor.  The bathroom looks amazing, so I'm hoping that our future buyer will love it.  I debated, as I know they say to pick a tile for the masses.  But, I would have hated that.  I'm not the "masses".  I checked to see what the trend is for baths in 2017 and beyond and they said that patterned floor tile was in.  White was out.  So, I bought my fun tile.   This is the bathroom floor tile we went with http://interceramicusa.com/products/detail/cementine/233201.  The walls are tiled with the matching greige color (oyster) and the paint color is SW Perfect Greige.  So, we've done neutral on the rest with just a bit of interesting tile.  

I would definitely want a tub in the master bath.  Jets are nice but not essential IMO.

But the other thing I would consider is accessibility.  I would want a shower that has a very low threshold, or none at all; so that an elderly person with balance issues could still get in and out reasonably easily.  And I would want that shower to be big enough for a shower stool down the road.  Those would be absolute priorities.

The jetted tub would be a no go for me. I don't want to be in one of those things because of the icky germy factor, and I also don't want to be cleaning that thing perpetually.

Disclaimer: I have OCD, but I know others who don't who also dislike the jet tubs for the same reasons.

They gross me out too. A soaker, but not jetted, with interesting tile or accents.

I voted: bullet_star_rated.png Jetted tub and interesting tile (even if it's not "me", but chosen by a professional)) (5 votes [12.50%])

BUT...

(1) I would not do a jetted tub, just a soaker tub. I love soaking in a hot bath! But I don't want the trouble of keeping up with jets. 

(2) Interesting tiles, yes,...but in neutral colors. You can have both.

• Like 1

I would want the tub without jets and the accent tiles. I recently bought a home and a soaker tub was on my list of desired features. But taking out the tub and having a huge shower might be more universally appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are renting a house with the hugest (is that a word? - this bathroom is so big, it is beyond huge) bathroom I have ever seen.  It has not one, but two walk in closets.  A separate shower/toilet room.  And a jetted tub.  The whole bathroom area is bigger than the master bedroom, which is huge.  If I designed the house, I would have a normal walk in closet, and a normal shower/tub combo, and a 4th bedroom or office in the saved space.  It really is crazy big.  But I do like having a tub.  My husband prefers a bath over a shower, so a house without a bath in the master would be a deal breaker for me. 

All that to say, go with a tub, with or without jets (our tub has jets, but we have not been able to get them to work) and do something fun with the tile.  Something classy but fun.  Why not! How much room do you really need in a shower? We live in a cold place, and I wonder if those huge showers would just be a little on the chilly side in the winter.

If there is space, and it sounds like there might be, I would opt for a snail shower (extended, rounded wall and no glass).  I'm not sure what "interesting" tile means to you, but for me, that would mean natural stone, or a simple tile without a lot of nooks and crannies to catch soap scum and towel lint.  For me, ease of cleaning is the most important thing.  So, just being able to walk into the shower, do my thing, then walk out, without having to worry about squeegeeing the glass or drying the walls or whatever, would be ideal.  

• Like 1

Can you go bigger shower/smaller tub? I have this tub and it's my life.

http://www.beeyoutifullife.com/52111-kohler-greek-tub-bathroom-contemporary-with-none/kohler-greek-tub-bathroom-contemporary-with-alcove-tub-bathroom-bathtub/

It's only 4 feet long, but it's deep (think Japanese soaking tub) and the water is up to my shoulders. I skipped the jets because I don't want to deal with cooties or malfunctions. I'm a serious bath person and I need a tub, but only one is fine for a house. I squeezed this one in because it was the only way for me to have a tub when we put the roll-in shower in the kids' bathroom. I love my deep tub and it fills faster than massive garden tubs.

• Like 1

No jets, neutral tile unless you know it's your forever home or you're okay with losing thousands in the sale for personalized taste tile.  Jets are outdated and disgusting.  People who love baths won't rule out a house for not having jets, but people who hate jets will.

Other for me too.  Non-jetted tub, and some accent tiles.  We have a tiny bathroom but still had room to install a bigger (and deeper) than normal tub that also has the shower.  And I love the idea of some colorful, accent tiles!

When I saw jetted tubs in homes we were looking at, It was not a selling plus. I kept thinking of all the other owners bacteria sucked up in the jets. How can you really clean that? I would keep the tub personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shower for me, tub for dh.

I can't stand all neutral tile. I think it's really annoying. Something interesting for sure, even if it's just a splash of color across the top. When we did our bathroom, we did white subway tile but with very, very expensive single row of colorful blue and green tile across the top. People seem to like it.