Menu

Fatal stabbing at UT

Violet Crown

More campus violence, at a part of campus where two of my children recently were. Dh just texted them and me frantically from different part of campus. One death so far. Local media had the story before admin even sent alert text to students.

I don't have any lessons to draw from this. My kids and husband are safe, and someone else's aren't.

More campus violence, at a part of campus where two of my children recently were. Dh just texted them and me frantically from different part of campus. One death so far. Local media had the story before admin even sent alert text to students.

I don't have any lessons to draw from this. My kids and husband are safe, and someone else's aren't.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

It is really hard.  I had a son who was in the room where a high school shooting occurred.  Six students were shot - three died and one was paralyzed.  So many mixed emotions.  And then there was violence on his college campus as well with a short period of time when we couldn't reach him.  

• Like 1

Criminal Activity with Injury occurred on campus. Suspect in custody no additional immediate threat to campus. Please avoid the area of 21st and Speedway until further notice. Info to follow.

I just got this alert from UT Austin where my oldest is.

Sorry, Texas. Too rattled to post well.

ETA Middle Girl says that she was at the location, walking her bike from dh's office, right beforehand. Dang.

ETA2: No, I misunderstood her: it was dh who was there with his bike shortly before.

Edited by Violet Crown

Update from the university

An unidentified suspect was apprehended for stabbing two subjects and assaulted at least one other. One of the victims has succumbed to their wounds. The subject is in custody and there is no ongoing threat to the campus community. We are still gathering details on this ongoing investigation and will provide new details as they unfold.

The Statesman had a story on their website well before that alert even came out. What is the point of the "alert" by then???

Criminal Activity with Injury occurred on campus. Suspect in custody no additional immediate threat to campus. Please avoid the area of 21st and Speedway until further notice. Info to follow.

I just got this alert from UT Austin where my oldest is.

I wondered that too.

Hopefully for a situation were the suspect is at large, they will be more timely in getting a warning out to students!

Let's hope. We found out because dh saw the emergency vehicles out his window. Considering where it was, half of campus must have know something was up within minutes.

• Like 1

The Daily Texan has pics of the suspect being arrested up on Twitter. It's crazy- looks like he still has the knife on him in the pics. I'm not on Twitter, and got the link through FoxNews, but I think this is the direct link to the Daily Texan Twitter account: 

https://twitter.com/thedailytexan

I'm glad to hear your family is fine.  My heart goes out to those whose aren't.

There are no lessons to draw (as parents of those at the scene).  All of us would have mixed emotions as the bad news could come to any of us.

We've had people ask us how we could let youngest son study abroad in Jordan next fall.  How?  Because one never knows where the safe or danger spot is.  We let our kids (and ourselves) live their lives and pray (or hope).

Meanwhile, these are always situations to remind me to teach the next generation that no matter how bad things get in your life, violence is never the answer.  It's wrong.  Period.  I think some folks grow up missing that lesson.  They think there are causes or justifications - and innocent people suffer.  :sad:

• Like 4

Canceling classes doesn't make it seem like there is no further threat.

Wonder what is going on!

Not really.  Emotions run high all around whenever someone dies and "it could have been you."  Dealing with those is more important than classes.

• Like 9

Has anyone seen anything yet about a possible motive, or any relationship between the victim(s) and the perpetrator?

Nope. I've seen a lot of info on the suspect, but nothing that links him to the victims, gives a motive, or honestly looks like any sort of red flag.

Edited by texasmom33

The suspect is not Islamic and had apparently condemned the killings of the police officers in Dallas last summer.  He actually was posting a lot about the Bible. His age, what he wanted to do- become a physician, family background- Army officer family, make me suspect mental illness, not terrorism or racial motives but we will all see in the coming days.  

Prayers for the family of the deceased student and all those injured.

The Statesman had a story on their website well before that alert even came out. What is the point of the "alert" by then???

Not everyone watches the Statesman for breaking news. But a lot of the university crowd are on the alert list. We have employees working on campus and do not watch the newspaper all day, but our supervisors got the alert and could deal with their people based on it.