Menu

curly hair product help

HollyDay

Dds went last week and got really cute DivaCurl cuts/styles.  They also came home with DivaCurl product.  None of this is inexpensive.  Dd that is in college is looking for cheaper options (if there is such a thing).  I think 17 yr old will want some options too once she sees how much product she will be using.

What products do the Curly Hive use?

I have had a Deva cut and have tried the Deva products (as well as other products).  Honestly?  The best things that work for me are Suave Coconut conditioner for co-washing (that "flavor" specifically) and LA Looks yellow gel for after washing. Both found in the cheap section of the hair care aisle.  Just last week I did it again -- purchased an expensive gel because of course it must work better, right?! It doesn't.  Sigh. 

Edited by milovany
  • Like 4

https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/home/10-drugstore-finds-that-follow-the-curly-girl-method/

They discontinued the Tresemme product that I really liked, but it's substitute (which is shown) has similar ingredients. 

I like -cone free and sulfate-free stuff, but I also like paraben free.....so I've been using the Kirkland Signature brand stuff from Costco....it's a pureology knockoff.

• Like 1

A note on the diva cut - I learned to cut my own hair after not having the money for a diva cut. I break down every once in a while and pay some random stylist who claims to know about curly hair only to be frustrated every time (the last lady told me the products I use with rich moisturizers and coconut oil are only for "black people"... um ok sure whatever). Anyway, I break the curly hair rules, brush it out, cut it for length (if you flip your hair over your head, pony tail and trim the end of the pony tail it will create a layered cut) then I trim for length until It's a little longer than I want. Wash, use typical moisturizers in hair and do a final trim without breaking apart the curls, cutting individual curls to ensure an overall "look" that I want. 

I've had a lot of curly people want to know who I use for a stylist so it must not look too terrible!

https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/home/10-drugstore-finds-that-follow-the-curly-girl-method/

They discontinued the Tresemme product that I really liked, but it's substitute (which is shown) has similar ingredients.

I like -cone free and sulfate-free stuff, but I also like paraben free.....so I've been using the Kirkland Signature brand stuff from Costco....it's a pureology knockoff.

I'm still disappointed that Tresemme discontinued the Naturals conditioner.

• Like 2

For gels, I prefer the DevaCurl, and rarely use other brands of gel.  I use different products in different weather.  For east coast summer, DevaCurl light gel plus One Condition usually works.

However, I often use other conditioners and shampoos.  I use a wide variety of Shea Moisture products (buy at Target or Walgreens).  Trial and error here - also depends on the weather and what products I am combining, how dry my hair has been/whether it needs a bit of protein or not, etc.

A note on the diva cut - I learned to cut my own hair after not having the money for a diva cut. I break down every once in a while and pay some random stylist who claims to know about curly hair only to be frustrated every time (the last lady told me the products I use with rich moisturizers and coconut oil are only for "black people"... um ok sure whatever). Anyway, I break the curly hair rules, brush it out, cut it for length (if you flip your hair over your head, pony tail and trim the end of the pony tail it will create a layered cut) then I trim for length until It's a little longer than I want. Wash, use typical moisturizers in hair and do a final trim without breaking apart the curls, cutting individual curls to ensure an overall "look" that I want. 

I've had a lot of curly people want to know who I use for a stylist so it must not look too terrible!

I have very long curly hair and do my own cuts as well.  I never heard of the ponytail method or of brushing it out first.  I might have to try those.  I use a pick when it is freshly washed and still slightly damp, then flip my head and trim my hair straight across while I hold my head upside down.  It works, and gives me the layers I want, but just trimming off the end of the pony would be SO much easier. 

I have very long curly hair and do my own cuts as well. I never heard of the ponytail method or of brushing it out first. I might have to try those. I use a pick when it is freshly washed and still slightly damp, then flip my head and trim my hair straight across while I hold my head upside down. It works, and gives me the layers I want, but just trimming off the end of the pony would be SO much easier.

It creates layers but it won't be a straight cut. I like mine cut to be even with my chin so I like it fairly short. I learned the pony tail trick on you tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have very long curly hair and do my own cuts as well.  I never heard of the ponytail method or of brushing it out first.  I might have to try those.  I use a pick when it is freshly washed and still slightly damp, then flip my head and trim my hair straight across while I hold my head upside down.  It works, and gives me the layers I want, but just trimming off the end of the pony would be SO much easier. 

I usually get a devacut about once a year.  Otherwise dh does it for me.  The first curly girl book has great instructions on DIY cutting.  

I replaced my Deva gel with Ouidad heat and humidity control gel.  It's not cheaper, but it works better and lasts much longer.  It gives me anti-frizz and curl definition, but no stiffness.  Trader Joe's tea tree conditioner is a GREAT alternative to Deva conditioner and it's about $4 for the bottle.  I've used just this for years.  It's an adjustment to skip the shampooing step, but once you get used to the idea it works great and your curls look better.  

Just out of curiosity I picked up the Deva no poo shampoo.  I've been using it about a week and a half and so far I'm seeing no diference between how my hair looks now and how it did using just conditioner. It doesn't feel cleaner.  I might use less conditioner, but I'm still using this other product and it doesn't smell that great.  When this bottle is gone I'll go back to just using TJs conditioner.

I love my DevaCut but the products are a mixed bag.  I also find that they are much too strongly scented.  Every time I get my hair cut I urge my stylist (who is at this point some kind of advanced Deva teacher trainer person) to talk to the corporate PTB about making unscented products.  Anyway, I am devoted to the No Poo Shampoo but generally buy any old brand of sulfate-free conditioner.  For product I really like Jane Carter Solutions Curl Defining Cream, which is not cheaper but is much less scented than Deva stuff.  I also think that the DevaCurl Set It Free styling spray is well worth the money, FWIW. 

ETA:  I myself have found that just cleansing with conditioner ultimately makes my hair look rather dull.  I do a lot better with the No Poo at least once a week.  

Edited by JennyD

I cut my own hair too and use Twisted Sister products which are marketed for African hair. All the other gels and such I used were causing my scalp to itch and flake. Now I don't even use gel, just the leave in conditioner and my hair and scalp feel great.

• Like 1

I wasn't all that impressed with the few Deva products I tried. Although it's not much cheaper I love the Wella Oil Reflections line (shampoo and conditioner). It's very lightweight and makes it feel really clean and shiny. My hair is VERY fine and curly and anything too heavy makes it look limp and greasy. My favorite mousse is Kenra, although can be a bit drying. My other staple styling product is Catwalk Curls Rock Amplifier, it's a cream (on the heavier side) so I have to switch it up every so often to avoid buildup, but I prefer it over mousse. I love Kenra Platinum shine spray as well.

Wish I could use drug store type products but my hair is a very difficult texture to work with. I get almost all my products and Ulta and with the rewards account and sales, the prices are pretty reasonable.

My daughter's hair has never been cut (trimmed once) and is super curly (some areas are very hyper, intense tight curls). Her hair used to look like a frizzy bush but it's now relaxing into soft waves at the top and crazy curls the rest of the way. What worked for us:

No shampoo

washing with a conditioner (we use John Frida Frizz Easy Dream Curls conditioner)

then combing while wet with conditioner and spray bottle on hand (we set aside an hour twice a week for this and watch TV together)

then I mousse it with the John Frida mousse (but after reading the book Curly Like Me I am looking at dropping this step and just using the conditioner to set her curls)

It looks good for 2-3 days and if it starts to frizz, I just take a bit of conditioner to those parts and reset the curls. 

For my curly girl, we co-wash with As I am coconut co-wash and deep condition once every week or two with a Shea Moisture deep conditioner. We only use a lathering/moisturizing shampoo every 4-6 weeks or so. Right now for leave in products we are LOVING Shea Moisture Coconut and hibiscus curl and style milk and a little jojoba oil to seal in the moisture.

Her hair is naturally quite dry, very fine, very curly, and she has a ton of it.

Hair products are a line item in my budget- her voluminous hair soaks up a ton of the lighter products but the thicker products that stretch further are really too heavy for her fine hair. We have tried a ton of products and are always on the hunt for the perfect combo. Trial and error gets expensive and there are so many types of curls. You may get more useful product suggestions if you describe her curl type.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming