Menu

Pressure cooker... nerve wracking?

lauraw4321

Nope, the valve makes it nice and safe. The older valveless ones needed more watching and checking of pressure and seal quality, but even they were very safe.

My wife uses our Pressure Cooker very frequently. Almost daily. She strictly follows safety procedures. EVERY TIME SHE USES IT

You must follow the safety procedures, 100% of the time. People who do not do that have a potential accident on their hands.

Used properly, a Pressure Cooker saves a lot of time and money (energy costs).  Used improperly, they can be extremely dangerous.

If you are a new user, I suggest that you first study (not skim) the information from the manufacturer and then probably you can find some web sites and YouTube videos that show how to use them safely.

For example, before she uses our Pressure Cooker, my wife insures that the hole in the top is completely free of any obstruction. That is extremely critical, each time, before using it.

And, buy a very high quality Pressure Cooker. Ours is made by a company based here in Colombia, UNIVERSAL.  It is not pretty (she has been using it since 1997 or 1998), but it works perfectly.  

I have an electric one. It's not scary at all.

My old one made me nervous, because it wasn't working properly and even after examining it closely, I couldn't figure out what part was malfunctioning. I got an electric one, and I was a little nervous the first couple of times, but now use it with ease.

• Like 1

I was because I heard all of my grandmothers exploding pressure cooker stories and even my Mom has had them make quite a mess through the safety valve when she was young, although no explosions. But after learning about electric pressure cookers I use mine with no fear.

I have an InstantPot that I use without fear. I had a couple stovetop ones - a canner and my grandmother's old one - that made me nervous everytime I used them. I prefer my IP to the stovetop models,but I have read very good things about the new stovetop versions.

• Like 1

I should have clarified - using my stove top pressure cookers is what eased my fears. Using them made me understand how they work and why, with attention, I didn't have to worry about them any more.

When I first started with my cookers and canner, I wouldn't let the kids in the kitchen while cooking. Now it is fine with me.

And the Instant Pot takes all that worry away. And it's what I recommend to clients looking to start pressure cooking but feeling reluctant.

• Like 2

Well...I once had a minor pressure cooker disaster...the valve got clogged somehow and the rubber seal broke and bean soup went spraying all over the kitchen. I don't think the ceiling ever got really clean...

It was an old pressure cooker though.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

I just blew out the safety valve on a vintage Mirromatic. Don't be dumb like me!

Luckily no one was in the kitchen at the time because hot bean mush and steam went everywhere. I made three mistakes: doubled the recipe, wasn't hovering and used a food that could foam. The foaming bean mush blocked the regular pressure vent. The safety fuse blew out and did what it was supposed to do, but still scary and very stupid on my part.

I love used stuff but have sent both of my vintage pressure cookers to the recycling pile. I'm probably going to ask for a modern stovetop model for my birthday. I love how they cook food, but I have an even healthier respect for them now.

• Like 2

Anyone else kind of terrified by pressure cookers? I'm so scared I'm going to somehow blow it up on my kitchen. 😜

I have two. An Instant Pot and another very similar to the Instant Pot (it cost twice as much and was a gift from my mother). I am terrified of both the things. The times I have used it, I haul it out to the garage - so if it explodes, it won't hurt any people!! lol

I just haven't found that it saves time in a relaxing way for me. I feel like every step is so right on top of another that I don't have time to make anything to go along with whatever I've put into the pot. Add to the fact that I'm terrified of it exploding AND I'm having to go in and out of the garage... well... it's just not my cuppa. lol

I far prefer the crockpot. Throw in a roast and 85+ hours later - voila! Perfection! :smilielol5:

• Like 1

I was afraid of them for years. Then we had a huge crop of green beans. My friend came over and taught me how to use hers. It was so easy! Now I use mine a lot. The food doesn't have to be mushy if you follow the cooking directions. It takes a little practice, but it has saved me a lot of time. Just be sure to use a new modern pressure cooker with a one piece pressure weight. The older ones with dials have to be calibrated regularly to keep them accurate. Also as mentioned above, follow the directions exactly, especially if you are canning. 

Yes, I find them nerve-wracking.

Not due to odds one will explode and send shrapnel flying everywhere, but because pressure cooking pretty much ruins the texture of most foods. I don't like eating mush.

Bill

That hasn't been my experience with my IP except with one failed experiment with some noodles I overcooked.

• Like 1

One needs to learn how to use a Pressure Cooker safely and ALWAYS follow the rules. If one does that, they are safe. Of the things in our kitchen that my wife uses the most, they are: The stove, the microwave oven and the Pressure Cooker.    She has been using the same Pressure Cooker since 1997. Possibly I've purchased a new gasket for it a couple of times. Possibly once I bought a new gizmo that fits on the top. It isn't pretty, but it is in excellent shape. The brand is UNIVERSAL, made here in Colombia. Buy a very-high-quality Pressure Cooker and always follow the safety rules. The Pressure Cooker will save you a lot of time and a lot of $ for energy costs. 

That hasn't been my experience with my IP except with one failed experiment with some noodles I overcooked.

Same here.  I like my instant pot, and use it quite a bit.  I've messed up a couple of things, like mac and cheese, by overcooking.  Like most appliances, there can be a learning curve.  But more often than not the recipe works, and I'm happy with the results.  

I was scared at first, though I have no experience with exploding pressure cookers and wonder sometimes if that has been exaggerated.  But I like it a lot. 

Agreed. I don't know if the IP is more precise or it's what I cook, but I have never had mushy food. I don't use it for fancy meals but I use it a lot for dried beans, rice, Italian sausage (12 minutes from frozen so its my go-to fast food when I forget to thaw), cheesecake, curry, etc. and never once had anything turn out mushy. 

Nope. Never used one and never will.

When I was little my mother used hers all the time, but every time she did she would yell "It's like a bomb!! It could explode at any time!! It could literally kill you!"

My mother loved to terrify her kids. I have never been comfortable around pressure cookers. I also fear the threat of spontaneous combustion, or somehow slipping into the 4th dimension where no one would ever be able to find me, or hearing a bell ring and thinking the devil is near ......

My mother was not a source of comfort haha