Menu

I feel crummy and there's nothing I can do

Terabith

Flu test was negative. Rapid strep was negative but throat looked bad so she's running a culture. But there's no reason for me to feel crummy. Bad headache, sore throat, achy, chills but no real fever. My skinand hair hurt. I'm dizzy and exhausted and irritable. But not necessarily do sick that I can go to bed with a clean conscience and leave everyone to fend for themselves. So I'm whining. I feel crappy but there's nothing I can really do to feel better. And if I crawl into bed like I feel like, I feel guilty. If I try to be productive, my head pounds more and I get dizzy. My skin and hair hurt! What causes that? My eyeballs feel hot and sore. It's just bizarre. I went to the dr yesterday and she did the throat culture, since throat looked bad and glands are swollen, but won't know for another day. Said probably viral and rest and liquids. It's very hard for me to give in to staying in bed in absence of clear cut disease. Is that weird? Otherwise it just feels lazy.

And I think I'm kinda depressed and anxious and out of sorts, too. Just want to cheer myself up, but even watching tv is tiring and makes my head ache.

• Like 1

:grouphug:  I'm sorry you don't feel well.  It isn't lazy to rest when you feel this poorly, even if you don't have a name for it.  If it makes you feel better, you could think up a made-up name for whatever it is.  Go ahead and leave everyone to fend for themselves.  You'll get better faster and you will have a lesser chance of passing it if it is viral.

• Like 5

So sorry you're miserable all over. And FYI, when you feel THAT bad, there is absolutely NO reason for you to feel guilty about taking care of yourself first.

You will do no one any good by continually pushing yourself to the point of exhaustion and then come down with something worse! Go to bed and let your family wait on YOU for a time. Yes, you have Hive permission to take a sick day. You do not have Hive permission to feel guilty about taking it.  :coolgleamA:

:grouphug: Rest and take care of you. That's the only way you'll get better. Oh, and make sure you stay hydrated. Alternate between Gatorade and water. Sounds to me like you might need to replace some electrolytes. No caffeinated beverages - those will dehydrate you.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Like 5

Ok. Dizzy when I get up so I guess bed it is. Blah.

I hope you feel better soon!

There was a day last week when I woke up with zero energy. No major symptoms, generalized ickiness like I had a virus. I got up long enough to get the kids some breakfast then collapsed back into bed and slept most of the day.

Rest really is the best way to recover. Do make sure you are staying hydrated and eating if you can.

• Like 3

I do have other symptoms: bad headache, very sore throat, chills, general achiness and exhaustion. But I could rationalizenthose things away. Sore throat is from pollen; achiness from chairs I sat in, etc. And I could do something urgent if it didn't take long. I just feel flu-ish, without the flu.

• Like 1

Who cares what it is? All that matters is that you don't feel well.

Go to bed and get some rest so your body can start to recover. I don't know why you're fighting this. It's so obvious that you're sick -- you don't have to prove it to anyone (although we all believe you're sick and should be in bed!)

I hope you feel better soon! :grouphug:

• Like 2

Ok. Convinced. I got up and ate something but am going back to bed.

Growing up, getting sick was a catastrophe and made my parents angry, so I get very anxious about admitting that I'm sick. I'm really good at denial. But I'm tired and feel lousy, so I'm going back to bed. Thanks.

• Like 2

I had strep a few months back. It was awful. The overall achy exhaustion was worse than the sore throat. It wasn't caught by the rapid test either. The good news is that antibiotics worked really quickly once I finally had the diagnosis. My prediction: you do have strep, you just don't know it yet. Go nap!!!

• Like 1

Terabith, I had never heard of this happening till 2 weeks ago, but you sound like my son.  He was so, so sick.  I took him to the doc within 8 hours of the illness hitting like a truck - Doc was sure it was strep or flu or both - but tests were negative.  So we went home, called it a virus, and he was miserable.

I took him back in to an urgent care 5 days later, second strep was neg.  Home again, home again.

3 days later - back to the doc and she said (drumroll): it was probably flu.   I was aghast - how could that be?!  She said sometimes when we go in right after flu develops the test is negative.  If you give it a few days - you'll get that positive test.  That means it's tricky, because we want to go in *right away* if there's a chance we'll need Tamiflu, otherwise they can do nothing at all.  

In DS's case, it had turned into a sinus infection, so he had abx and improved right away.

Anyway, all that to say: you could still have flu.  If it hasn't been 48 hours yet, and you might want Tamiflu, maybe go have another test?  

I hope you feel better.  Give yourself permission to rest and baby yourself.  It's okay to be sick.  It happens.   :grouphug:

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

Grandma and Grandpa both are feeling sub par. Oldest daughter stayed home today. I thought I was better and got up for a few hours but am now exhausted and head is pounding again. Sigh.

Take some Motrin or whatever you take, if you're due, and go back to bed!

Feel better.

Grandma and Grandpa both are feeling sub par. Oldest daughter stayed home today. I thought I was better and got up for a few hours but am now exhausted and head is pounding again. Sigh.

Negative test result or not, it sure sounds like you have the flu.

Keep resting and taking care of yourself! :grouphug:

Flu test was negative. Rapid strep was negative but throat looked bad so she's running a culture. But there's no reason for me to feel crummy. Bad headache, sore throat, achy, chills but no real fever. My skinand hair hurt. I'm dizzy and exhausted and irritable. But not necessarily do sick that I can go to bed with a clean conscience and leave everyone to fend for themselves. So I'm whining. I feel crappy but there's nothing I can really do to feel better. And if I crawl into bed like I feel like, I feel guilty. If I try to be productive, my head pounds more and I get dizzy. My skin and hair hurt! What causes that? My eyeballs feel hot and sore. It's just bizarre. I went to the dr yesterday and she did the throat culture, since throat looked bad and glands are swollen, but won't know for another day. Said probably viral and rest and liquids. It's very hard for me to give in to staying in bed in absence of clear cut disease. Is that weird? Otherwise it just feels lazy.

And I think I'm kinda depressed and anxious and out of sorts, too. Just want to cheer myself up, but even watching tv is tiring and makes my head ache.

What does this actually mean, "flu test negative"? ETA: There is a high percentage of false negative results with the rapid flu test.

You are sick and if you don't stay in bed, at least stay away from others. They don't want it. 

We've had exactly the same symptoms in various family members here for the last couple weeks. A cough may develop, which is the most annoying but not as painful as the head-ache. 

Hope you feel better soon.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Honey, you have the wonderful virus that has been going round. Listen to your body and go to bed or cuddle up on the couch and take it easy. Ours started with sore throats and lack of energy. Segued into stuffy noses and chills, but no fever. Whole lack of energy thing coming and going for a couple weeks. Whole thing is a nuisance, because you feel like you have been hit twice before finally feel 100%. Treat it like a cold, get plenty of rest and soup. Hugs!

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 2

My two boys had similar symptoms. Negative tests for strep and influenza. Their doctor said it was likely a paraflu virus; it mimics the flu, but the duration and onset are less severe than the traditional flu.

Here's a link to the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/parainfluenza/

Yes, this! However I have to disagree with less severe aspect. Mine turned into sinus infection. My technician's turned into bronchitis.

• Like 1

I just don't feel up to really doing anything. So I'm bored. And exhausted and miserable and grumpy.

Movies, books or audiobooks. Stay in your pj's until you feel a bit better p, let hubby and kids take care of you for a while. When I'm sick, if I get dressed, my hubby and kiddo think all is normal so....

Hugs, doll!

• Like 1

DH and I have had what sounds like the same thing. It's been spreading like wildfire around his work and he brought it home Monday night. Yesterday morning I woke up with it. I don't know what it is (we both had flu shots) but it does feel very flu like. We've had aches, chills, dry cough, fatigue. I felt a little queasy when I got up. I suspect we've both been running a little fever but we haven't bothered to check. Thankfully the worst of DH's seems to have passed in 48 hours, so I'm hoping for the same time frame. I hope you feel better soon!

• Like 1