Menu

Probably worried about nothing but...

mamashark

I think I've lost my mind, but am probably worried about nothing...

My cycles run 35 days and by keeping track of starting dates and ovulatory signs I am easily able to watch ovulation and know when to anticipate my next cycle starting. I have had only 1 wonky anovulatory cycle in the past 6 months.

This month everything was on schedule. I ovulated on time based on cervical mucus plus a tiny bit of spotting, and then a week later had similar cervical mucus (unusual for me). Now I'm on day 42 with no period. I've gained several pounds in the past week (VERY unusual for me unless I'm pregnant -- weight gain is one of the first symptoms of my past 4 pregnancies) and I'm concerned about using meds to treat a persistent cold if it's possible I'm pregnant.

Here's the catch - DH got a vasectomy about a year and a half ago, and we got an all clear about a month afterward. So the odds are really crazy. (but I suppose not quite as crazy as the odds that my cousin beat when she got pregnant naturally with identical triplets...) Should I just give it a few days and expect my period to show about a week late? Or should I test to be sure it's ok to take meds? Opinions? 

How far are you from a pharmacy? I would just test.

About 20 minutes. But I don't have access to a car today. I can get one tomorrow.

Sounds like I'm not crazy to test any way. Wish I'd have thought of it yesterday when I was in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about standard cold meds at that point in a pregnancy, but test if it would make you feel better. (I wouldn't down a bottle of bourbon or anything!)

Well I did just drink my third cup of coffee for the day, and I much prefer red wine to bourbon. But I've been using fluticasone for the congestion and in the past when pregnant I literally avoid even pain meds.

Test and let us know if congratulations are in order! [emoji846]

Yes I'll update... But I almost feel like congratulations would be more in order if it's negative. Wine and encouragement if it's positive! And maybe a full time job for my husband... And a house to live in...and a vehicle that can fit 7...

• Like 1

Yes I'll update... But I almost feel like congratulations would be more in order if it's negative. Wine and encouragement if it's positive! And maybe a full time job for my husband... And a house to live in...and a vehicle that can fit 7...

No wine if it's +  .  :)

On the occasions where I have had a double peak for ovulation (what you described with the mucus coming again a week later that you called unusual), it is like resetting the time until my period as if the first mucus had never happened. So if you usually have mucus then 14 days before period, I'd start the 14 day countdown from the day after the second round of mucus.  

I have double peaks semi-often, 2-3 times a year. It usually fits the above pattern I describe.

As for your other symptoms, though, it may make sense to test because *something* is going on, whether it be a cold, flu, pregnancy, or alien abduction. It'd be good just to rule out 1 of the 4 so you can focus on the other possibilities.  :) 

• Like 8

On the occasions where I have had a double peak for ovulation (what you described with the mucus coming again a week later that you called unusual), it is like resetting the time until my period as if the first mucus had never happened. So if you usually have mucus then 14 days before period, I'd start the 14 day countdown from the day after the second round of mucus.

I have double peaks semi-often, 2-3 times a year. It usually fits the above pattern I describe.

As for your other symptoms, though, it may make sense to test because *something* is going on, whether it be a cold, flu, pregnancy, or alien abduction. It'd be good just to rule out 1 of the 4 so you can focus on the other possibilities. :)

Lol, thanks for this, I have been down lately and you made me smile! I think I might vote for alien abduction!

• Like 3

The older I get, the more often I ovulate twice a month.  I mean, the more often I feel ovulation pain from both sides a few days apart.  I never felt that at all until I was 32.  When I do notice that now, it pushes back my period 5-10 days.

That said, a test couldn't hurt.

• Like 3

If you haven't been temping, I would assume that the first CM was a false alarm and that you actually ovulated during the 2nd window.

My temps go sky-high when I'm pregnant so if I were concerned, I'd temp first thing in the A.M. and if it was >99 F, I'd test. If it were normal or low, I'd save my money.

• Like 3

If you haven't been temping, I would assume that the first CM was a false alarm and that you actually ovulated during the 2nd window.

My temps go sky-high when I'm pregnant so if I were concerned, I'd temp first thing in the A.M. and if it was >99 F, I'd test. If it were normal or low, I'd save my money.

I just put me thermometer by the beside when I saw your comment! It's been so long since I've temped but that was the conclusion I came to, that without temps I had nothing to go on. My pregnant temps are not as conclusive as yours but it'll give me more info anyway.

The weird thing about the first bit if ewcm was that I had a bit of spotting in it too. I've had ovulation spotting a lot over the years but never in the absence of ovulation.

Ah well, morning will bring more info.

The other day I saw a youtube video about a couple that got pregnant because the vasectomy didn't take, but they said they were supposed to check back with the hospital at 5 months. Why five months? I don't know. So do those things have to checked on several months later?

I agree that it's possible you didn't ovulate when you thought you did, thus moving your luteal phase. But if I was really worried/wanted to take meds I might just get a test.

The other day I saw a youtube video about a couple that got pregnant because the vasectomy didn't take, but they said they were supposed to check back with the hospital at 5 months. Why five months? I don't know. So do those things have to checked on several months later?

I agree that it's possible you didn't ovulate when you thought you did, thus moving your luteal phase. But if I was really worried/wanted to take meds I might just get a test.

I have no idea why they would have had to go back at 5 months. My husband had to submit a sample at some point after but once it came back clear we were told that he didn't need to return again.

I have no idea why they would have had to go back at 5 months. My husband had to submit a sample at some point after but once it came back clear we were told that he didn't need to return again.

He talks about it briefly at the beginning of this Q and A. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FytXjuZ39Us

I'm guessing the follow up varies from place to place. For some reason his check up was at 5 months. Sounds like your husband had one much sooner.

• Like 1

I don't want to make you nervous, but we were told to continue with other methods of bc until the second test, which was to make sure things hadn't grown back.

Well honestly I'm already nervous, but that is interesting. I do know they claimed the method they used was the most effective... But obviously that is their opinion and other Dr's prefer other methods.

I have two acquaintances who have K-age kids who they conceived post-V (and one of them had two post-V checks of 0 counts, the other didn't go back to get tested). 

I don't know how old (young) you are, but the older you get, the wonkier your cycles can get. Early ovulation, really-really-really early ovulation, late ovulation, double ovulations . . . My temps go sky-high with pg, too, almost immediately (before I could test reliably), so that's usually how I know.

Let us know what you find out tomorrow. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you. 

• Like 1

About 20 minutes. But I don't have access to a car today. I can get one tomorrow.

Dollar stores sells too if there is one nearer than a pharmacy. Probably 7Eleven has as well. I just realized all the places I have stayed in since newborn to now are less than 10 mins walk to a pharmacy chain.

• Like 1

I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I think you should head over to the Dollar Tree in the morning and pick up a couple of tests, just to put your mind at ease. Judging by what you've said in your posts, I seriously doubt you're pregnant, but if I were in your shoes, I'd be in a panic too, even if I knew the odds were about one in a million.

You'll feel much better after you test, and I would recommend you get a few extras for the future, so you can find out right away and not have to worry about it all night. (And the Dollar Tree tests are both cheap and accurate, so it's inexpensive to buy three or four test kits in case you ever have another scare like this.

Wishing you the very best, and I hope the test gives you the result you want! :grouphug:

I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I think you should head over to the Dollar Tree in the morning and pick up a couple of tests, just to put your mind at ease. Judging by what you've said in your posts, I seriously doubt you're pregnant, but if I were in your shoes, I'd be in a panic too, even if I knew the odds were about one in a million.

You'll feel much better after you test, and I would recommend you get a few extras for the future, so you can find out right away and not have to worry about it all night. (And the Dollar Tree tests are both cheap and accurate, so it's inexpensive to buy three or four test kits in case you ever have another scare like this.

Wishing you the very best, and I hope the test gives you the result you want! :grouphug:

The stupid thing is I threw away my last dollar store test after we got the all clear from the dr. I was sure that I would never need it again!

My temp this morning was 99.1 which means 2 things: first, I ovulated for sure. Second, my period isn't starting today or tomorrow based on every cycle I've ever temped for. Historically this high of a temp was the peak right after ovulation; my post positive pregnancy test temps were not usually this high either... But I never kept temping after I got a positive test.

I guess a trip into town today will be my next step.

I have two acquaintances who have K-age kids who they conceived post-V (and one of them had two post-V checks of 0 counts, the other didn't go back to get tested).

So then what are you supposed to do?? I'm in my mid thirties, and drs all triple checked that we were for sure done before they allowed us to schedule the vasectomy.

He talks about it briefly at the beginning of this Q and A.

I'm guessing the follow up varies from place to place. For some reason his check up was at 5 months. Sounds like your husband had one much sooner.

It' supposed to be 20 ejaculations regardless of how long (?? 5 months, though!) that takes.

I don't know how old (young) you are, but the older you get, the wonkier your cycles can get. Early ovulation, really-really-really early ovulation, late ovulation, double ovulations . . . My temps go sky-high with pg, too, almost immediately (before I could test reliably), so that's usually how I know.

Let us know what you find out tomorrow. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you. 

? You only ovulate once. Your body can appear to start ovulation but then it's basically a false ovulation and does it later in the cycle. And if someone has fraternal twins both eggs are from the same ovulation.

? You only ovulate once. Your body can appear to start ovulation but then it's basically a false ovulation and does it later in the cycle. And if someone has fraternal twins both eggs are from the same ovulation.

Negative.

I'm looking at a little second-in-one-cycle-ovulation baby right now <3

The stupid thing is I threw away my last dollar store test after we got the all clear from the dr. I was sure that I would never need it again!

My temp this morning was 99.1 which means 2 things: first, I ovulated for sure. Second, my period isn't starting today or tomorrow based on every cycle I've ever temped for. Historically this high of a temp was the peak right after ovulation; my post positive pregnancy test temps were not usually this high either... But I never kept temping after I got a positive test.

I guess a trip into town today will be my next step.

tests do have a shelf-life, so it's just as well you pick up a fresh one.

fraternal twins are two separate ovulations  (and you can have one from each ovary) - and they have their own schedule.  while within 12 - 24 hours of each other is typical, it is still possible to be outside that window.

• Like 1

We may be defining ovulation differently. I am counting it as one ovulation if two eggs are released in a 24hr period. That's two eggs. One ovulation. Now it's possible that the definition I'm using is outdated because these Canadian scientists have discovered otherwise... but that article was pretty wishy washy! Really, like we need double ovulation to explain why the rhythm method wasn't successful? lol. I have taken two NFP classes (Billings Method) and currently meet with a teacher to discuss my chart every 1-2 months. The rhythm method relied on counting days and very regular cycles.

The article even said they didn't prove that any of the women in the study actually ovulated twice.

it is unknown whether any of the women actually ovulated twice

40% of the subjects had the clear biological potential to produce more than one egg in a single month

they said month. Not cycle. Of course a woman could produce more than one egg in a month if she has two short cycles that overlap one month. Not sure if they chose the wrong word here but it doesn't sound very shocking.

This really isn't the result we expected, and if it's confirmed we'll have to rewrite the textbooks

So nothing has been confirmed? Then why the headline?

I'm just saying that was a pretty disappointing scientific article.

I was defining ovulation more like this article:

http://pregnancy.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Can_You_Ovulate_Twice_in_One_Cycle

If the Canadian scientists are right and you can ovulate 2-3x in a cycle then that's pretty aggravating for my charting. It's already difficult for me.

----

OP, glad you got a test! Hope you're feeling better soon.

We may be defining ovulation differently. I am counting it as one ovulation if two eggs are released in a 24hr period. That's two eggs. One ovulation. Now it's possible that the definition I'm using is outdated because these Canadian scientists have discovered otherwise... but that article was pretty wishy washy! Really, like we need double ovulation to explain why the rhythm method wasn't successful? lol. I have taken two NFP classes (Billings Method) and currently meet with a teacher to discuss my chart every 1-2 months. The rhythm method relied on counting days and very regular cycles.

The article even said they didn't prove that any of the women in the study actually ovulated twice.

they said month. Not cycle. Of course a woman could produce more than one egg in a month if she has two short cycles that overlap one month. Not sure if they chose the wrong word here but it doesn't sound very shocking.

So nothing has been confirmed? Then why the headline?

I'm just saying that was a pretty disappointing scientific article.

I was defining ovulation more like this article:

http://pregnancy.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Can_You_Ovulate_Twice_in_One_Cycle

If the Canadian scientists are right and you can ovulate 2-3x in a cycle then that's pretty aggravating for my charting. It's already difficult for me.

----

OP, glad you got a test! Hope you're feeling better soon.

Still holding the double ovulation baby lol.

Still holding the double ovulation baby lol.

I was waiting for clarification on that sorta lol. I wanted to know what you meant by double ovulation baby as it was unclear to me if we were all defining ovulation the same. How did you determine that you ovulated twice? You saw it in your temps at two totally separate parts of the same cycle? Your CM pattern? Your ob/gyn said you had two fertilized eggs? If this is too personal, please don't feel obligated to answer! Some of this thread contradicts what I've been taught so I'm trying to wrap my brain around it.