Menu

Would you take a boy with sensory issues to watch Rogue One in 3d?

SarahW

Did they only release this movie in 3D or something? All the theaters near us are ONLY showing it in 3D.

Ugh. We promised we'd take Crazypants to it for his birthday a while ago, but now we're freaking out. He has an initial diagnosis of Sensory Processing Disorder (though he may have more issues than that) and is especially sensitive to loud sounds and overstimulation. I mean, we went to a Christmas concert at a small-ish church last night of a Russian singing quintet and sat in the back row, and he said it was too loud

He does regular 2d movies fine (though he dislikes the surround sound and decibel level). He went to a 3D movie before, we think it was the Avengers movie that came out last summer. He did just okay - didn't like the 3d part, and the glasses bothered him - but then there was the novelty factor. Pus, as a stem-y boy he thought the 3d technology was cool. And there was the interest factor. He's highly interested in seeing Rogue One, but the technology isn't novel anymore.

Avengers was pretty CGI-active and intense, and I hear that Rogue One is also pretty intense, is that right? Has anyone seen it in 3D? Just how crazy is it? How did you kids react to it in 3D, whether they're NT or not?

Edited by SarahW

I saw it and I felt overstimulated. The biggest problem for me was the violence and there was a lot of fighting, plus all the ships zooming around. Noise is easily diminished by bringing foam ear plugs if he will wear them.

My guess is they will play the movie in regular showings (non 3D), soon, after it's been out for a while. Or, you can try it and see, and leave if it's too much. Or possibly travel for a while to another town and make it a trip to a regular showing. Or maybe ask him about the glasses/etc.

• Like 1

There's a theater near us that does sensory-friendly movies fairly often. I think they keep some of the house lights on and the volume down a bit, and sensory issues are understood by the other patrons at those showings. Any chance there might be something like that within driving distance?

If it were my kid and had been promised, we'd have bigger problems *not* going, than going and dealing with the sensory issues. Ymmv. I think I'd be inclined to explain ahead of time about the noise and general intensity, see if the dc still wanted to go, and give it a try. But you know better than I do what the consequence of overstimulation is likely to be for your ds. Hope you can work out a solution.

• Like 6

There's a theater near us that does sensory-friendly movies fairly often. I think they keep some of the house lights on and the volume down a bit, and sensory issues are understood by the other patrons at those showings. Any chance there might be something like that within driving distance?

If it were my kid and had been promised, we'd have bigger problems *not* going, than going and dealing with the sensory issues. Ymmv. I think I'd be inclined to explain ahead of time about the noise and general intensity, see if the dc still wanted to go, and give it a try. But you know better than I do what the consequence of overstimulation is likely to be for your ds. Hope you can work out a solution.

Sensory-friendly movies sounds fantastic. We all get a bit twitchy with noise and hate 3D here. DH was trying to figure out a way he could NOT go see the movie with us, because of the 3D. I just get worn out and have to rest after seeing a movie in the theaters, whether it's 3D or not. But DH and I have impulse control and can quietly step out if we need to. With a kid it's such a gamble.

We talked to Crazypants about it, and he he says he still wants to go see it, even in 3D with the glasses. Apparently, he's totally forgotten about the Avengers movie experience. Not important? Or blocked it out? DH remembers that at Avengers Crazypants took off the glasses and watched most of the movie "regular." Well great, then you're paying premium ticket price for a bad quality picture. 

I edited the title because as it turns out we can't go today after all. So whew, have a few days to figure it out. Maybe when they release next weeks showings a 2D will be included. crossing fingers

• Like 3

I haven't seen it, but my instinct is no, I wouldn't do 3D for a child with SPD. Honestly, I don't even like 3D myself because it's too intense.

I can't do 3D, either. In fact, I took all three of my kids to see Fantastic Beasts and when they realized the clerk gave us tickets to the 3D instead of 2D, every one of them wanted them exchanged. 

My first instinct was also no, but since you've already promised, the flip side is to use it as an experience to help him learn ways to accommodate for his sensory issues.

We learned to bring foam earplugs and ear protection headphones (the kind used to operate machinery) along to potentially loud events. It extended what we were able to do, plus this strategy gave a lot of control over the situation to the affected child. From putting the earplugs in lightly to using both the earplugs and headphones--it gives a wide range of control over blocking out sound.

• Like 1

We have always chosen to do standard showings with earplugs.  Even half-deaf, I can hear almost all of the dialogue in a movie with earplugs in.  Every once and while I need to loosen one.  It took time but my sensory sensitive kid did get used to earplugs.  At first, we used a hooded sweatshirt or hat to cover the ears and later noise-cancelling headphones.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't take him to a 3D showing.  None of our children have sensory issues, but they shun 3D movies with a passion.  Once upon a time we all went to see "How to Train You Dragon 2" in 3D and even though they seemed to enjoy the movie and the 3D, they have never wanted to see a movie in 3D since that time.  I kinda liked the 3D, but when I suggested they see Rogue One in 3D, they all vehemently opposed the idea.

We went to Rogue One on Christmas. It had the loudest background effects I have ever heard in a movie. The talking came through normal so the theater couldn't just turn it down. We do not have any issues and we had to plug our ears at times. The theater erupted in loud murmurs when the first crazy loud effect happened so it wasn't just us.

• Like 2

We went to Rogue One on Christmas. It had the loudest background effects I have ever heard in a movie. The talking came through normal so the theater couldn't just turn it down. We do not have any issues and we had to plug our ears at times. The theater erupted in loud murmurs when the first crazy loud effect happened so it wasn't just us.

Thank you for the heads up!  MomsintheGarden is very sensitive to loud noises, so she may want to stay away.

This seems to be a trend:  We find that when we watch modern action movies at home we have to increase the volume for the dialog and decrease it for the LOUD special effects when people or things are being destroyed.

Hear today, deaf tomorrow.  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 4

A month or so ago, after we went to the Harry Potter movie, my wife and DD and Stepson and DIL went to another movie. They made the mistake of sitting in the last row in the theater (here you reserve the seat(s) you want when you buy the tickets). The speakers were right  on top of them. They will not do that again. That's the "First Class" section. Better not to sit in the last row...

My personal opinion is to skip it altogether. Theaters around here show it in 3D and 2D. Neither would help the storyline

which pretty much lacks any character development or plot. while that may not be important to your kiddo, I still think there

are movies he might enjoy more. And, no, I wouldn't take an SPD kiddo to a 3D movie.

I have seen this movie in 3D twice. Yes, the young adults are home. In the small theater in a small town I couldn't even understand a fair amount of dialog with all the accents and my hearing deficit. In the IMAX in Ottawa it was clear, the glasses felt better and a much more enjoyable experience. I didn't like the old 3D but the new ones are much better. The movie has a lot of action and switching of action scenes. The ships flying around and shooting and noise and dialog all at once might be too much for some people. It might be worth the $10.00 for one of you to go in and see at least part of the movie to make your decision. 

Here the film is in the biggest screen of our multiplex in 3D,and in 2D in the next largest theater. Guess which one sells out? 2D. No one I know wants to wear the glasses or cope with 3D (gives my son and hubby a migraine). I do not like 3D - if it stands out to me (spaceships zooming at me etc.) then I an noticing the novelty of the 3D and taken out of the narrative of the film. If I do NOT notice the 3D, then I feel what was the point of paying extra for it? I think Rogue One was exciting enough without 3D.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 3

I do not like 3D - if it stands out to me (spaceships zooming at me etc.) then I an noticing the novelty of the 3D and taken out of the narrative of the film.

I frequently find myself saying "That scene was added JUST for the 3D."  Practically every modern movie which is available in 3D versions now includes such scenes, whether they are a natural part of the story or not.

That said, Star Wars movies are the type where there are some scenes which DO lend themselves to 3D.

• Like 1

dudeling was ok.    but he's doing better overall.

also bring earplugs/ear-protectors for the volume.

eta:  i think my older sons chose the 3d.  now imax documentaries are coming out in 3d

Edited by gardenmom5

No, and consider ear plugs or headphones. My teenage son wears ear plugs to movies and to play laser tag. He has SPD, and has never seen a movie without ear plugs. Ear plugs enabled him to attend age apporiate activities (movies, concerts, loud resurants, parties) by helping him to interact socially in loud settings

Did they only release this movie in 3D or something? All the theaters near us are ONLY showing it in 3D.

Ugh. We promised we'd take Crazypants to it for his birthday a while ago, but now we're freaking out. He has an initial diagnosis of Sensory Processing Disorder (though he may have more issues than that) and is especially sensitive to loud sounds and overstimulation. I mean, we went to a Christmas concert at a small-ish church last night of a Russian singing quintet and sat in the back row, and he said it was too loud

He does regular 2d movies fine (though he dislikes the surround sound and decibel level). He went to a 3D movie before, we think it was the Avengers movie that came out last summer. He did just okay - didn't like the 3d part, and the glasses bothered him - but then there was the novelty factor. Pus, as a stem-y boy he thought the 3d technology was cool. And there was the interest factor. He's highly interested in seeing Rogue One, but the technology isn't novel anymore.

Avengers was pretty CGI-active and intense, and I hear that Rogue One is also pretty intense, is that right? Has anyone seen it in 3D? Just how crazy is it? How did you kids react to it in 3D, whether they're NT or not?

I haven't seen the movie BUT I do own 2-D glasses. Prolonged 3-D gives me a headaches so I switch back and forth when my family wants to see a 3-D movie. You can buy them from Amazon.

Can you double check that it's 3D only? I noticed that our theater started listing movies a different way, where they showed the movie title only once, and then there were two sets of times on top of each other, one for 3D and one for 2D. It sounds simple, but it took me a few looks to figure out that there actually were 2D listings there as at first it honestly looked like only 3D was offered.

Also, I'm a big believer in ear plugs. I go to the movies by myself every Tuesday night ($5 Tuesday) and I keep earplugs in my purse at all times. And floss, for the popcorn stuck in my teeth.

I would not be able to handle most movies without earplugs. I pop them in all the way for some movies, and for others I pop them in and then pull them halfway out if the movie isn't super loud.

Have him practice at home a bit. I still help my ds11 put his in correctly. (Practice on yourself a few times if you've never worn them. You have to pull on your ear to open up the passageway properly to get the plug in the right way.)

Well, I did find one showing of 2D rather far away. But, grr, we're going with SIL and her family, and her husband doesn't like that theater. So she bought tickets for the theater they like (which is 3D). I tried to suggest that there's a reason why we didn't want 3D, but DH was embarrassed, and just said he didn't want to go. and Crazypants piped in and said he wanted 3D (cool tech appeal, I guess). So, ugh.

I hate that DH feels he can't self-advocate. I hate that I'm the one trying to calm things down when they're "polite" and overextend. I hate that I'm the only one who is going to tell my kid that it's okay if you don't feel comfortable doing something everyone else thinks is normal.

Crazypants has never used earplugs. I think he would hate them. He has his headphones he uses for his computer, maybe I can pack those in. And I'll have him wear a sweatshirt with a hoodie. And we can have quiet time when we get home. At least I will.