Menu

Sprite is Lemonade?

KungFuPanda

Names for soda will be regional in the US. For example, I'm in the southeast, and everything is a Coke. 

DH-Want a Coke?

Me- Sure!

DH- What kind?

Me-Mountain Dew

My grandparents call it cola, and my Chicago relatives call it pop. 

Yep. My favorite kind of Coke as a kid was Sundrop, a locally bottled carbonated lemon/lime/citrus drink more like Mountain Dew (yellow) than Sprite (clear). We'd get cherry lemon Sundrop at the local park concession stand---Sundrop with a splash of cherry soda and sliced lemon.

We'd also go to a local hamburger joint or skating rink concession stand and get "suicides"--a mixture of all the flavors available in the fountain---usually Coke, Sundrop, Cheerwine (local cherry soda), maybe Sprite, Dr. Pepper (funky cola/cherry/etc flavor), grape, or root beer, depending on what was available-- or "witchdoctors" (a suicide with a couple slices of dill pickle added).

• Like 3

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. My favorite kind of Coke as a kid was Sundrop, a locally bottled carbonated lemon/lime/citrus drink more like Mountain Dew (yellow) than Sprite (clear). 

Oh! I drank Sundrop, but I figured everyone had it - like Coke. Jolt was probably my favorite in high school - due to its high caffeine content. My favorite type of 'fizzy drink' was a suicide - mixtures of 4-5 different soda flavors.

Biscuits in the central US are self-rising flour with butter/shortening cut into it, mixed with milk, rolled & cut into 2" rounds & baked until risen & fluffy. Serve with butter and/or jam, with (non-runny) eggs (and bacon, cheese, or sausage) as a sandwich, or under country gravy. 

I agree that anything called a "spider" does not sound yummy. My boys can't imagine y'all living without rootbeer. It is definitely not close to ginger ale. I've never had ginger beer, so I don't know if that is the same thing as ginger ale. Rootbeer, which was a nickname of mine when I was younger due to my initials (A&W), is dear to my heart. That's where my board name comes from.  :lol:

• Like 4

Do you have a recipe for fried scones ?

I just use any basic bread dough recipe--flour, water, yeast, and salt. That's the kind my dad used to make--usually when my mom had a big batch of bread dough (ours was always at least 2/3 fresh ground whole wheat) rising and he would pull off a hunk to fry scones for the family. I put about an inch of canola or coconut oil in a frying pan, flatten out a slab of dough with my hands, cook it in one side, flip over, and cook on the other. We usually top ours with honey and eat them hot.

I'm sure there are recipes out there and more specific tried and true cooking methods, but rough-and-ready is what I am used to. Look up "Utah scones" and something is sure to pop up. The only tricky bit in my experience is that the dough has to be quite flat or it won't cook through in the middle.

My family actually got the tradition from my maternal grandmother, who grew up in Idaho (mom grew up in Alaska and Washington state) so I think it is a regional and not just a Utah thing. They're mostly associated with Utah though.

I never knew there was any other kind of scone until I was an adult.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

I always thought root beer was ginger beer. But, having googled, apparently it is not.

So what do you call Sprite if it's not lemonade? Oh, btw, we don't call it 'soda', we call it 'soft drink' or 'fizzy drink'.

That would be regional. Where I live it is a Pop. Specifically Lemon-Lime Pop.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

My biscuits don't have eggs.

My scones don't have eggs either, but then they're fried bread dough not baked scones ;)

In fairness, I only use cooked yolks in my biscuits. :)

Are your scones made with yeasted dough or is it quick bread dough?

ETA. Slow typer, didn't see your previous post. Interesting. So I guess the yeast is the difference between your scones and fry bread.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1

Yep. My favorite kind of Coke as a kid was Sundrop, a locally bottled carbonated lemon/lime/citrus drink more like Mountain Dew (yellow) than Sprite (clear). We'd get cherry lemon Sundrop at the local park concession stand---Sundrop with a splash of cherry soda and sliced lemon.

We'd also go to a local hamburger joint or skating rink concession stand and get "suicides"--a mixture of all the flavors available in the fountain---usually Coke, Sundrop, Cheerwine (local cherry soda), maybe Sprite, Dr. Pepper (funky cola/cherry/etc flavor), grape, or root beer, depending on what was available-- or "witchdoctors" (a suicide with a couple slices of dill pickle added).

We call a mixture of various flavours like that swampwater.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Don't you distinguish between knitted and not knitted articles of clothing that you wear over your shirt when it is not cold enough for a coat?

Here in Oz, and I guess NZ too, a jumper can be either a knitted or not knitted one of them.

A sweater or cardigan is knitted, not knitted would I guess be a sweatshirt or a jacket.

• Like 1

A sweater or cardigan is knitted, not knitted would I guess be a sweatshirt or a jacket.

Ok. An Australian jumper is a sweater or sweatshirt. A hoodie is also a jumper unless it has a zip.

I was not brought up on NZ literature so I'll have to wait for confirmation if this applies to them too. :lol:

A trui is knitted, whereas a sweater wouldn't be knitted (I mean, it could be machine knitted with super tiny knits(?), but it wouldn't be knitted like those hand-knitted things).

And while y'all are at it, try pronouncing trui:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/trui

• Like 1

Now you have to share the brand with us so we can confirm your claim!

Well... there probably are better brands, but this is the best I've tried. Let me dig up the name, it's somewhere on my Amazon order list.

Edit: Okay, so I didn't see it there but I glanced in my pantry and I do buy YumEarth brand candies, including root beer. No comments from the peanut gallery if you think that's a gross brand :)

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 1

I loved Sundrop. My favorite was Cheerwine. Our church summer camp was in NC, and I drank enough Cheerwine during that week to last until the next summer.

• Like 2

We know. :D

I don't think anyone has worn one of those in Australia since the 80's. :p

(I'd call that a dress. If it was more thigh length, I might call it a sleeveless tunic. If it was barely butt covering, a sleeveless top.)

I don't think anyone has worn one of those in Australia since the 80's. :p

It's definitely little girl wear. Some school uniforms have girls wearing jumpers up until the end of elementary school (so about age 10 or so), but I'd be very surprised to see a child wearing a non-uniform jumper after age 6 or so, and even then it'd be unusual.

• Like 1

It's definitely little girl wear. Some school uniforms have girls wearing jumpers up until the end of elementary school (so about age 10 or so), but I'd be very surprised to see a child wearing a non-uniform jumper after age 6 or so, and even then it'd be unusual.

The ones little kids wear for school uniforms are usually called pinafores here.

Yes they are, though scones can be sweet and biscuits usually aren't. Also, biscuits are often but not always fluffier than the scones I am familiar with.

US Southern style biscuits with gravy are one of my favorite breakfasts.

I cannot imagine eating scones with gravy. 

I have never made scones with egg.  My personal favourite no-fail recipe uses, oddly, lemonade (the fizzy drink).  Equal parts cream, flour and lemonade (sprite) mix, bake in oven.  Serve hot with butter or cold wth jam and cream.

Not here. All those fizzy drinks are lemonade too. San Pellegrino isn't. That's it's own category. It's not sweet enough to be lemonade.

Here they are differnent - lemonade is sprte / seven up - the lemon-y flavoured ones.  Fanta is it's own thing.  As an aside - that blue fanta yoy can get at the moment?  My kids call that smurfberry juice. 

Wait, what is a jumper in NZ?

Around here we'd say jersey (knitted, pull over head), sweatshirt (not knitted, pull over head), hoodie (sweatshirt with a hood.  Might have a zip), cardigan (opens down the front. 

• Like 1

My brain might explode trying to keep all these "new" names straight!

In my world:

Fried bread dough = flapjacks (vs. fried scones)

Mixed fountain pops = swamp water (vs. suicide)

Sprite = lemon-lime pop

Lemonade = juice, non-carbonated

Coke = a brand of Cola

Pop = carbonated drinks

• Like 2

So flapjacks aren't pancakes made with water instead of milk?

Flapjack to me is just another name for any kind of pancake.

I'm really loving the diversity in this discussion.

Also, I made myself crave southern biscuits and gravy so I bought the ingredients at the grocery store tonight.

• Like 4

Whoa! Never heard that one. Care to share where this version of flapjacks might be from?

I learned about them when a friend from Ireland brought them over one day. Now I make them, but I always have to sub one of the ingredients because I can't find it in the US--I'm blanking on what it is. Maybe treacle? 

ETA: golden syrup! That's what I can't find here. Here is a flapjack recipe. 

Edited by mellifera33
  • Like 1

My grandma's flapjacks were incredibly fluffy, delicious whole wheat buttermilk pancakes. She would mix everything but the egg whites, beat those, then very carefully fold them into the batter and cook them on an electric griddle.

Oh my goodness, they were sooo good. We ate them with peanut butter and maple syrup.

Edited by maize

So flapjacks aren't pancakes made with water instead of milk?

m

No pancakes are pancakes. Runny batter that is poured into a pan. Eaten with a fork.

Flapjacks are risen bread dough, stretched out and dropped into 1/2 of hot oil to fry (like 1/2 deep fried). Finger food. It's kind if like a doughnut.

Edited by fraidycat

Omg this thread has me readin it like a ball of Flubber going back and forth! 😂😂

it's fun isn't it?

Fascinating that there are common foods with different names, and common names used for entirely different foods, in different locations.

Makes me want to learn the history behind each variation.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

My grandma's flapjacks were incredibly fluffy, delicious whole wheat buttermilk pancakes. She would mix everything but the egg whites, beat those, then very carefully fold them into the batter and cook them on an electric griddle.

Oh my goodness, they were sooo good. We ate them with peanut butter and maple syrup.

This is my trick (beaten egg whites folded in to batter) for fluffy grain-free (nut based) waffles that I make. In fact I just made them for supper tonight! I used to use it for regular waffles when I ate grains, but it's especially useful for the heavier batter one achieves from blending cashews and coconut milk in a blender. Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 1

I thought pinafores were a kind of spiral sliced sandwich. What is the right word for what I'm thinking?

I call those pinwheels. I've also made pinwheel cookies (two types of dough rolled together then sliced---often vanilla and chocolate). Not to be confused with the children's toy on a stick that twirls in the breeze ;) (in case there are different terms for all of these)

Pinwheel sandwich http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/pinwheel-mini-sandwiches-50559.aspx

Pinwheel cookie  http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/pinwheel-cookies.aspx

pinwheel toy http://www.leslietryon.com/3dcolorcutout/makepinw/makepinwheel.html

This is my trick (beaten egg whites folded in to batter) for fluffy grain-free (nut based) waffles that I make. In fact I just made them for supper tonight! I used to use it for regular waffles when I ate grains, but it's especially useful for the heavier batter one achieves from blending cashews and coconut milk in a blender.

Can you share a recipe? These sound yummy.