Menu

Fireside Lounge & Chat

scrapbookbuzz

It's a much cooler day here in the SW than it usually is. 

I should probably be resting but that's another story.

Anyway, this is the kind of day that invites quiet chats or reading by the fire.

We'd need to hire a chimney sweep before using our fireplace again so how about a virtual one?

Let's chat!

What's been fun for you today? 

Have you been shopping, today or this weekend?

What's your weather like today? 

And any other light topic you'd like to chat about!

Overcast here with (hopefully) rain on the way. We need it desperately.

I went to Bed Bath and Beyond this morning. I picked up some new rugs. They were on clearance plus I had 20 percent off coupons so I got a great deal. I noticed they had a Keurig out for customers to make coffee or hot chocolate. I thought that was a nice touch for holiday shopping.

• Like 1

This "fireside" chat is really making me wish I had a fireplace! It isn't really cold enough to use one yet, but it just sounds so cozy😊

Great day here though. My ds and nephew put the ceramic village around my mom's tree. It was nice to watch them together. I hope they will remember these little moments when they are grown.

• Like 2

we actually had some sun! After 2 months of of rain pretty much every day, that was a nice break. 

I didn't shop. Mean to as I need new running shoes but just never got around to. 

I helped ds set up his goodreads account. It was fun seeing his shelves build & he's gone down the rabbit hole of getting recommendations now. 

• Like 1

It's been so windy!   I didn't realize how much until I went to leave this afternoon and opened the garage door to find a bunch of leaves and vegetation bits all up against where the door was.  Then I saw the tumbleweeds doing 50mph down the freeway and I knew why I stayed indoors. :lol:

I went grocery shopping on Sunday.  I spent under $100 for the week, which is fabulous considering we're trying to eat clean right now.  No sugar until Christmas.  We'll bake and make candy but give away most between now and then.  I'm a homebody right now, avoiding the stores for Christmas shopping.  Dh and I ordered a few things online instead.

• Like 1

We had our first Winter Fire in the fireplace this weekend! This is the wood that's been sitting there for 5-6 years so it's very dry and burned beautifully.

It's 9F and I'm about to head out skiing this evening. I bought a new pair of running shoes this weekend at a Black Friday sale for $9.50 - regular price $95. That was definitely my best shopping buy of the season!

• Like 1

I can't use my fireplace until I move all of the crap off the hearth that I piled there over the summer.  Today is chilly.  School took FOREVER. The highlight of my day was the burrito bowl I JUST killed to celebrate finally getting ds's work finished at 8:45 p.m. We're going to come to blows over cellular respiration. I haven't even looked at the cyber monday sales.  I'm not feeling it today.  I need to download a new book to soothe myself.

• Like 1

No shopping here - I did order a few things from Target yesterday with a GC I had stashed back though. 

It's 60 and meh here - not rainy, yet not nice either. Just blah. Course it could just be my mood - I've had a crappy couple of days and unfortunately it's probably going to get get worse as the week goes on. I didn't even have dd attempt doing school today - I wasn't up to the arguments. Spent most of my day listening to pandora while I did laundry and browsed pintrest. 

We are on our sixth beautiful day of rain. It is wonderful to not have the air dusty and hot. I've spent as much time as possible outside.

I'm going shopping in about an hour to my favorite grocery store. It caters to expats from all over Asia, especially India and the Philippines, and it has plenty of great Middle Eastern food too, of course. I love it. No other shopping besides that in the last week.

• Like 2

We had our first winter blizzard last week, where everyone was hunkered down in their homes for a couple days.  Today, only small piles of snow here and there are left.  We could get more next week.  We've been breaking out the the hot chocolate and eggnog, and my daughter has been baking up a storm.  

I was able to get to Macy's over the Thanksgiving when we traveled to my other daughter's college city.  We were able to see her in action as a Macy's Christmas elf.  That was fun.  :)  Did a little shopping there too.

• Like 1

I need to turn my fireplace back on. Despite the central heat it still feels cold because of the radiating chill from our windows. It's about 6 degrees F out. Brrrr!

I am reading a lovely book right now though, which improves many things :D

This all makes me want to clear out the area by our fireplace and light a fire. Anyone want to come over and help me declutter?  :D

Plus, it would probably take at least 4 hours to organize all that stuff. *sigh* I would make dh do it as it's mostly his fault anyway for getting rid of a much needed bookshelf!

But that was LAST December so now, it's on me. 

Maybe I'll come visit one of you. Who has the fire going again? I'll even bring the hot drinks and a new book or two!  :cool:

It's cold here, and I forgot to tote my electric space heater from my office (where there is no ventilation or heat), to the house where I rent a room (where there is central heat that does not reach my bedroom at the far end of the house). However, my door had been open all day with the heat up, and I was able to snuggle down under a wool trade blanket, so I was warm enough, with the bonus that my office, where I had left the heater on, was toasty warm when I arrive this morning!

We are over the stomach bug we brought home from Thanksgiving in Texas. We always seem to catch something when we go visit family--a cold, lice one year, always something. Just once I'd like to have a vacation where NO ONE gets sick!

It's 19F (which is the low - it's supposed to warm up slightly overnight). Which is not what the extended weather forecast had promised just before we flew here (they said the lows would be from 32-38F for the month). So, not the ideal time to be camping (in a camper) 3 miles from my parents and having to bicycle back and forth (can't leave heater on in camper while gone either). Unsurprisingly, the kids have decided they're not big fans of camping.

After going on a walk with the kids and I on the heath, my dad did make a fire in the fireplace at his house the other night, which was neat, because we don't have a fireplace at home.

My wife took the kids to a petting zoo/playground today which was a bunch of fun for the kids (I'd taken them there a few days ago when they'd petted a goat and a bunny). They had rope bridges and a zipline like thing and the like. And this weird thing where you peddle the bicycles and it goes around (but the wheels don't even touch the ground) - the kids love it:

http://www.rijpelroets.nl/wp-content/uploads/RRweb-fietsen.jpg

I went to a bookstore and got books:

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/lang-geleden/1001004004725759/

(Long Ago - the history of NL in 50 stories to read out loud... which is currently going to be too hard for the kids, but I might translate or w/e)

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/de-mooiste-sinterklaasliedjes/9200000019686458/?suggestionType=browse

(Sinterklaas songs book (with lyrics and notes) & CD)

Oh, and the kids have been having fun playing on my mom's harmonium (pump organ). My ears haven't been having quite as much fun.

• Like 1

What's been fun for you today?  Not much, it was gray and overcast and muggy this morning and everyone's mood and energy matched.  I then went to Costco and all he!! broke loose weatherwise with T storms and tornados.  

Have you been shopping, today or this weekend? No shopping

What's your weather like today? Boring then crazy.

And any other light topic you'd like to chat about!  Possums are sneaking up on the porch at night and eating the leftover cat food.  I think my son had a near panic attack when he got up to get a drink of water at 1AM Monday night and looked out the window and saw them..ughhh.  They are super creepy looking. I'm not a possum fan.  I got up last night and there was one out there munching away.  We are going to have to bring the bowl in at night.  The neighbor had problems so she started putting her bowl away and I guess they thought they would come on over our way.  It's weird though, because my daughter found a possum head in the backyard last week.  I can't believe the cats took on a possum, but it's possible. 

O'possums! When we lived in the Pacific Northwest, we had rigged a cat door (opening) so the cats could go in and out as they chose. One night I heard a weird

noise in the kitchen. Went in and saw an o'possum eating the cats food! Can't really fault the animal: our cats had high quality food!

What's been fun for you today? 

Nothing much. I fell playing tennis last night and my entire right side is sore. I'm hoping that by not doing much today my arm will feel better tomorrow and I'll be able to hang my window wreaths.

I did have  nice email/text chat with my DS. I did enjoy that. A lot.   :D

Have you been shopping, today or this weekend?

I ordered new tennis shoes from the Tennis Warehouse this morning. They had a pair in my size (9 wide) on clearance so I'm thrilled. I know it wasn't  Christmas shopping but after falling due to bad shoes they were necessary. I told DH he can consider them part of my gift. I'm kind of excited about the purchase because by adding a pair of socks I got free two day shipping so I ended up saving a few bucks and getting socks.

What's your weather like today? 

Wonderfully gray and overcast. A few spits of snow. I love it. DH lit a fire in the fireplace for me while I sit and grade papers (which is what I am supposed to be doing but TWTM keeps drawing me in).

And any other light topic you'd like to chat about!

I'm thinking I might make some more cranberry sauce. The Thanksgiving leftovers just didn't last and I've been craving the tarty goodness of cranberries. I've really been craving a turkey sandwich with cranberry sauce and fresh lettuce. I'm too lazy to go by GF bread though. I'm trying to watch my carbs so I don't have any GF bread (or cereal, crackers,etc) in the house.

Edited by Scoutermom

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas . . . 

I finally cleared out the corner by the window to make room for the Christmas tree.

Family set up night is THIS Sunday. It will be nice to see the tree up, finally, with lights

and even a few presents underneath!

What's making it feel like Christmas at your house?