• 106-110
    • 111-115
    • 116-120
    • 121-125
    • 126-130
    • 131-135
    • 136-140
    • 141+

I know three are a lot of very bright, intelligent women on this board, but I think the responses are HIGHLY inflated! Less than 0.5% of the population have an IQ above 141... and I doubt those people are hanging out on these boards in such large numbers! LOL

Really, I would take the responses with a HUGE grain of salt!

myself. We must have a large population of geniuses or near-geniuses!

I do think there's a very intelligent group here, though. I'm just not certain about the numbers and what data sources people are responding from. If it's a genuine IQ test and these figures are accurate, so be it. If it's an online IQ test, then I don't know if these figures are valid.

I asked my father, whom I respect deeply, about IQ tests. He strongly urged me to not have our kids tested. He said that he heard a talk once years ago, while an employee of IBM, on the subject of testing. This gentleman said, "There is nothing really to be gained by testing your child's IQ. If they do indeed have a high IQ, most parents tend to push their children too hard academically and place too many expectations on their kids. If their IQ score doesn't reflect what you, as the parent, had hoped for, you may always have a lingering sense of disappointment that they didn't do better. Just continue to challenge your kids to the best of their varying abilities." I have always appreciated my dad's advice on this subject and have tried to do accordingly.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know three are a lot of very bright, intelligent women on this board, but I think the responses are HIGHLY inflated! Less than 0.5% of the population have an IQ above 141... and I doubt those people are hanging out on these boards in such large numbers! LOL

I agree, Robin. :001_smile:

I'm voting by what I was tested in grade school (3rd? 4th?) but I'm guessing, by the way think and act now, that my IQ has dropped dramatically. 10 years of sleep deprivation will do that to a person. :lol:

ETA: I just took one of the online tests, and I was right. :svengo: Wow. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by amyable

A couple thoughts.

My first reaction was "uh huh" as I too believed that the responses had to be greatly inflated.

After that I started thinking though....

Why would people lie on an anonymous poll? I couldn't think of any good reason.

It would seem that more people with higher IQs might be tested (just as more people with low IQs might be tested yet I highly doubt many homeschool parents have IQs under 80). But there is usually a reason for testing, testing for giftedness (esp about mid-elementary age) being one of those. So it does seem like a poll of IQ scores would have more "gifted" numbers than average.

I'm sure there would be a huge number of "I don't know" people if that had been a poll option.

Also, it hasn't been true for a long time that less than 1% of people have an IQ over 140 according to the most well known tests. More people can do better on the old IQ tests than ever before. The bell curve has been skewed for awhile. Tests are being normed to account for changes.

The results probably are a little inflated, but homeschooling seems to attract the more intelligent parents over the less smart ones and Classical education seems to attract the smarter of the already intelligent homeschooling parents.

My IQ is high, and that did effect my decision to homeschool and my decision to challenge my children with a well-rounded Classical education. I know I was educated well below my abilities...which is exactly why I'm homeschooling my own.

Edited by MyCalling

The results probably are a little inflated, but homeschooling seems to attract the more intelligent parents over the less smart ones and Classical education seems to attract the smarter of the already intelligent homeschooling parents.

My IQ is high, and that did effect my decision to homeschool and my decision to challenge my children with a well-rounded Classical education. I know I was educated me well below my abilities...which is exactly why I'm homeschooling my own.

Hmmm, I probably fit into your "less smart ones" category.:001_smile:

According to the internet :D I don't have a very high IQ. But I don't think that my IQ has anything to do with my decision to homeschool or homeschool Classically. The majority of homeschool moms that I know have not gone to college or have not finished college but they are very smart. I don't think that one has much to do wth the other.

Hmmm, I probably fit into your "less smart ones" category.:001_smile:

According to the internet :D I don't have a very high IQ. But I don't think that my IQ has anything to do with my decision to homeschool or homeschool Classically. The majority of homeschool moms that I know have not gone to college or have not finished college but they are very smart. I don't think that one has much to do wth the other.

Good points. There are multiple types of intelligence. IQ does not measure all of them. An IQ test is no better at predicting success in life and ability to achieve than an SAT test is at predicting the same things.

I have a friend who could have been a MENSA member is he so chose. He was a Fulbright Scholar majoring in German. He works a menial government job and has not really been a productive member of society. He is fascinating to talk to and I enjoy his company, but that's all there is to him. KWIM?

Dh once had an office mate who was a fellow engineer and a member of MENSA. He was a brilliant young man who contributed nothing to his job, didn't show up most days, and was rude to his workmates. He would rather sit home on his sofa and play video games all day.

Sometimes an extrememly high IQ can become a handicap rather than a help.

Why would people lie on an anonymous poll? I couldn't think of any good reason.

Actually, I can't think of a good reason why a lot of people behave the way they do on internet message boards! LOL

Also, it hasn't been true for a long time that less than 1% of people have an IQ over 140 according to the most well known tests.

Well, there you are. If over 140 isn't considered genius anymore, then that would explain it. I guessed everything's getting dumbed down these days!!

There's probably a lot of reporting bias as opposed to 'inflation' or lying. People who know they have a high IQ are more likely to respond to the post. People who don't know, or don't have a higher IQ are less likely to respond.

Many people are using scores from CogAT or similar and that's not an actual IQ score. Others have reported using scores from online quizzes - also not true IQ scores.

There are many valid reasons for testing kids. Gifted, HG, EG and PG kids are suprisingly at risk academically if their intellectual and social needs aren't being met. To get them services or acceleration in school, IQ and achievement testing are often required. Others have had IQ testing done as part of a larger battery to suss out various issues including learning disbilities, ADHD, NLD and more.

We've done both.....for one child, I needed it to support a grade skip. It's not a push on my part but a pull on her part. She's happy and content working at her intellectual ability. She's miserable, whiny, ADHD-ish and quite frankly, a bit snotty when working below her ability level. She needs to be at the right level for her....not the right level for me, not the easiest level for her teacher....but to support it, we needed 'objective' (:glare:) data.

For our other dd, IQ testing was part of a larger battery of tests to try to figure out what the heck was going on and why nothing was working despite the fact that she seemed bright as heck. For this child, it was helpful, but like most things with her, it wasn't all we'd hoped for. Supporting her in growing up is like peeling an onion.....we're always finding out something new - whether or not we want to. :tongue_smilie:

I remember taking the IQ test and daydreaming while I was supposed to be concentrating on the test. I get bored, and since I knew it wasn't to "pass" anything, I didn't care too much and just guessed a few. Sooo.. that said, I got a 126. Decent. Not bad. I'm happy.

Interesting thread, and interesting poll results.

When I was in sixth grade, my little brother was tested. According to the test (Stanford-Binet) he was extremely gifted, indeed little brother was a certified "Genius".

Oh brother! :tongue_smilie:

It took no time for him to develop a "plummy accent", and to cultivate a most condescending and patronizing attitude towards yours truly.

When he deigned to address me he'd speak very S-L-O-W-L-Y, like I was the village-idiot :001_rolleyes:

After several weeks of this my Mother couldn't stand it anymore, and stormed off to the school and demanded they test me.

Beat him by 5 points :D

The rivalry continues :lol:

Bill (who is smart enough to know he's not a genius, I just test well)

Well, there you are. If over 140 isn't considered genius anymore, then that would explain it. I guessed everything's getting dumbed down these days!!

:lol::lol:

Well that explains my score. Actually I asked my mother. She told me I was never tested to her knowledge, but she thought I would have scored above average. She thought the score I received from the internet was probably inflated.

ummm, thanks mom.:001_huh::D

My older son is the only one in our family who has been tested. His score was higher than the highest score you listed.

Can I just say I'm sure he gets it from dear old mom? :tongue_smilie:

By the way, can I ask what led each of you to take an IQ test in the first place? Not the internet variety, but those of you who were administered an official test...why was it done?

I was tested just about every year starting in the 1st grade. Since I changed schools every year, I had to wait until the end of the year to be re-tested by that school district for gifted programs the next year. Then, of course, we would move and it would start all over.:glare: In the 5th grade, I actually got to be *in* a gifted program, because even though I changed schools we were in the same district.

Mine is 133 - not spectacular, but good enough I guess.

It took no time for him to develop a "plummy accent", and to cultivate a most condescending and patronizing attitude towards yours truly.

When he deigned to address me he'd speak very S-L-O-W-L-Y, like I was the village-idiot :001_rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

Well, I think that you are pretty smart!;)

I don't remember the nuns administering the test, but my old report card gave me a score of 120.

Sadly, it hasn't improved. I did one of those tests I found at Barnes & Noble (following instructions to the letter) and scored 120. Probably still inaccurate, but hopefully I'm not falling into some kind of intellectual abyss.

Now, if IQ went by weight....

I don't remember the nuns administering the test, but my old report card gave me a score of 120.

Sadly, it hasn't improved. I did one of those tests I found at Barnes & Noble (following instructions to the letter) and scored 120. Probably still inaccurate, but hopefully I'm not falling into some kind of intellectual abyss.

Now, if IQ went by weight....

the totality of who you are as a person than just a measurement of IQ. You're not falling into an intellectual abyss; by homeschooling and your own self-education you are stretching yourself in some great ways. Don't limit yourself to a number. It's for these reasons that I posted my father's advice earlier: don't bother to have your kids tested, and just don't worry about it. Challenge them to be the best that they can be. Undoubtedly they'll have an IQ test at some point in time in their lives, but I'll let them keep that information private. It won't change my feelings for them! :)

Besides, I'm uncertain about the results posted on this poll. Online IQ tests are not an accurate measurement, and the actual percentage of people who score above 140 on IQ tests is very small. I have no doubt that we have many members on this board who are genius or near-genius, but the reported numbers may be skewed in one way or another.

It's for these reasons that I posted my father's advice earlier: don't bother to have your kids tested, and just don't worry about it. Challenge them to be the best that they can be. Undoubtedly they'll have an IQ test at some point in time in their lives, but I'll let them keep that information private. It won't change my feelings for them! :)

Having my daughter's IQ tested has opened up a lot of doors for her and gotten our family a lot of help. Most of what we struggle with as far as she's concerned is social and emotional. Knowing that she's gifted and what that really means (not the public school definition of it being better than, smarter than or more successful than) has helped her tremendously. Relationships with true peers - kids her age that like to read the same books, and discuss similar topics have been invaluable.

It's not about challenging my dd to be the best she can be. Any parent has to do that. Not every parent has to deal with the issues that parents of highly gifted + kids deal with on a regular basis.

Having my daughter's IQ tested has opened up a lot of doors for her and gotten our family a lot of help. Most of what we struggle with as far as she's concerned is social and emotional. Knowing that she's gifted and what that really means (not the public school definition of it being better than, smarter than or more successful than) has helped her tremendously. Relationships with true peers - kids her age that like to read the same books, and discuss similar topics have been invaluable.

It's not about challenging my dd to be the best she can be. Any parent has to do that. Not every parent has to deal with the issues that parents of highly gifted + kids deal with on a regular basis.

decision as to this matter of testing vs. not testing. For our family, we felt that testing was not necessary.

I'm very glad that testing has worked so well for your family.

When I was in sixth grade, my little brother was tested. According to the test (Stanford-Binet) he was extremely gifted, indeed little brother was a certified "Genius".

After several weeks of this my Mother couldn't stand it anymore, and stormed off to the school and demanded they test me.

:lol::lol:

Great story. It reminded me of an old, "Family Ties", episode (for the geniuses here, Family Ties, was a 30-minute situation-comedy from the late 1980s). "Smartitude", is still part of my vocabulary.

Ah well. One of those online quizzes gave me a score of 112. I think this was very nice of them, since preggie brain has me feeling as thick as two bricks most of the time!

:)

Rosie

Awwww.... I'm firmly convinced that the placenta is made up of brain matter, taken from the mother during pregnancy!! ;)

Yep.:)

I can't take the pressure.

Scarlett (Whose IQ has never been tested except on line -which doesn't count-- but I'm pretty sure I'm way average)

I have to agree with the poster who pointed out that those in the gifted range are more likely to know due to specific testing for gifted programs. But I also agree that IQ tests aren't the be all and end all of intelligence, since a. they're a written test, b. they cannot possible test all 8 areas of intelligence and c. just because I think all tests are self-limiting.

I also agree that on-line testing doesn't really count. Nor does taking a test on paper while your dc are continually interrupting you.

And, sorry, but the only reason I have a clue about mine is because I was tested for a gifted & talented program when I was 9, but no one ever told me the number (just the percentile, which leaves a range) and the results were destoyed decades ago as far as I know. However, I will readily point out that not only am I way average in certain areas, I'm probably sub par in some and firmly believe that everyone, even those super jock Rhodes Scholars (thinking of one from my alma mater) and Marilyn von Savant, are average somewhere and below average somewhere. Likewise, I think, barring some physical brain/body malady, everyone is smart somewhere, even if it doesn't show up on paper.

LOL :lol: Good for you, Bill! :lol:

Awwww.... I'm firmly convinced that the placenta is made up of brain matter, taken from the mother during pregnancy!! ;)

According to my sister the doctor, what happens is this. More and more women br**stfeed. Your milk has a fair bit of fat in it. Your brain has a fat in it, and you know you didn't lose it in your hips!

Just thought I'd mention that she's had a few patients that appeared to actually believe her.

I took an official test as a gifted youngster. I also took the official test when I tried to join the military as an officer. Both results were 126. I guarantee than I could not hold my own with most members of this board. I still to this day have to stop and think about it to tell my right from my left, I can't read a map of any kind to save my life, I can't learn how to do anything without physically seeing it done. I have taken Algebra I three times and got B's each time and I still can not do advanced fractions or percentages without referring to a book. I could go on all night. My IQ has in no way helped me function in life.

My dh has had a few official tests as well. His is consistently 136. However, he is quantum leaps smarter than I am and can run mental circles around me most of the time.

My ds was officially tested late in his teen years because we were trying to sort out ADD issues. His IQ is 162. He is a high school drop out, never went to college. He is 25 and has suffered from drug and alcohol problems for about 10 years now. His IQ has never helped him in the least and in a way makes his problems all the more sad.

I just don't see the connection between the number and anything else. As far as I can tell, it is just a number.

My ds was officially tested late in his teen years because we were trying to sort out ADD issues. His IQ is 162. He is a high school drop out, never went to college. He is 25 and has suffered from drug and alcohol problems for about 10 years now. His IQ has never helped him in the least and in a way makes his problems all the more sad.

This is very common among profoundly gifted youth. :grouphug:There is a great guy- his name is Josh Shaine who works with gifted underachievement, if your son ever wants to explore out some of the reasons why he feels the way he does.

When I was in jr. high I had a reputation as "The Smart Girl". We moved towns to a new high school, and I purposely acted very, very ditsy. I had lots of dates, and no integrity.

There, you can psychoanalyze that all you want! And it should probably go in the "something you've never told anyone on this board before" thread!

I did the same thing, but I moved at the beginning of Jr. High. Although, now that I've matured I'm not afraid of appearing to be smarter than anyone.

And I do know what my tested IQ was in elementary school. I've taken IQ tests over the years, and it really hasn't changed.

the reason for the statistic that homeschoolers get higher achievement test scores overall is that more intelligent people tend to homeschool.

Yabbut, it's not the homeschooling teacher being tested. I know a lot (2 words ;) ) of people homeschooling learning disabled and special needs children who I bet would test on the low end of the spectrum.

I have to agree with the poster who pointed out that those in the gifted range are more likely to know due to specific testing for gifted programs. But I also agree that IQ tests aren't the be all and end all of intelligence, since a. they're a written test...

When I had the IQ test administered to me by the school psychologist in 3rd grade it was not a written test.

And I agree that we all have our strengths and weaknesses. I seem to have some long-term memory issues, as well as real problems remembering people's names (short or long term).

When I had the IQ test administered to me by the school psychologist in 3rd grade it was not a written test.

And I agree that we all have our strengths and weaknesses. I seem to have some long-term memory issues, as well as real problems remembering people's names (short or long term).

Interesting. I have heard of verbal tests, as my dd had them at 6, but didn't realize they had verbal IQ tests. Guess they must if they test preschoolers.

Sorry guys, but these numbers can't be right. You hit the certified genius (and we're talking Stephen Hawkins, mensa members) level in the high 130's. According to the chart of classifications of IQs 130 + is very superior; 120-129 is superior; 110-119 is high average; 90-109 is average 80-89; is low average and it goes down from there. Only 2.2% of the population is in the 130+ category. And only 6.7% is in the 120-129 category.

Most of a real IQ test is not written. There is a section on one of the tests (can't remember which one- WISC I think) that involves copying symbols, but I am not aware of any IQ tests (again, tests given to groups by a school teacher are NOT IQ tests) that are written tests.

An IQ test involves a licensed psychologist reading questions to the subject following strict protocol. The questions are then scored based on the wording of the subject's answer. There are also other subtests that involve non-verbal skills, such as block design, matrix reasoning, and picture concepts (on the WISC).

As far as special needs kids go, I know quite a few kids that are twice exceptional- they are gifted (some of them profoundly so) but have learning disabilities also. I have had many teachers tell me they had no clue this was even possible.

Sorry guys, but these numbers can't be right. You hit the certified genius (and we're talking Stephen Hawkins, mensa members) level in the high 130's. According to the chart of classifications of IQs 130 + is very superior; 120-129 is superior; 110-119 is high average; 90-109 is average 80-89; is low average and it goes down from there. Only 2.2% of the population is in the 130+ category. And only 6.7% is in the 120-129 category.

That is incorrect. 130 is what's required for Mensa and not considered to be all that high. A kid with an IQ of 130 can be accommodated by lots and lots of schools. It is moderately gifted and I think only around the 90th percentile or so. "Genius" is considered IQ of 160 or above, some would argue 180 or above. There are lots of kids I know with IQs above the 99.9th percentile who aren't "geniuses" (my dd being one of those).

You may be reading some outdated information there based on the old Stanford Binet or something.

As far as special needs kids go, I know quite a few kids that are twice exceptional- they are gifted (some of them profoundly so) but have learning disabilities also. I have had many teachers tell me they had no clue this was even possible.

Oh, yes! You are absolutely correct. But I would guess that some of them might not perform as highly on the standardized tests that characterize homeschoolers as being high achievers. High IQ doesn't always correlate with high standardized test scores, particularly when there is a natural deficit in one skill area.

Oh, yes! You are absolutely correct. But I would guess that some of them might not perform as highly on the standardized tests that characterize homeschoolers as being high achievers. High IQ doesn't always correlate with high standardized test scores, particularly when there is a natural deficit in one skill area.

Very very true. IQ does not equal achievement. I wish more people got that.

I can't take the pressure.

Scarlett (Whose IQ has never been tested except on line -which doesn't count-- but I'm pretty sure I'm way average)

Done (did an online one) but it said it was adjusted for age. WHAAAA? Did they give me pity points cause I'm geriatric?

IQ Scores & Ratings

What is a good IQ score? What is a high IQ score? What is a low IQ score? These are common questions, particularly after someone finds out their score from an IQ test.

Lewis Terman (1916) developed the original notion of IQ and proposed this scale for classifying IQ scores:

Over 140 - Genius or near genius

120 - 140 - Very superior intelligence

110 - 119 - Superior intelligence

90 - 109 - Normal or average intelligence

80 - 89 - Dullness

70 - 79 - Borderline deficiency

Under 70 - Definite feeble-mindedness

Normal Distribution & IQ Scores

The properties of the normal distribution apply to IQ scores:

50% of IQ scores fall between 90 and 110

70% of IQ scores fall between 85 and 115

95% of IQ scores fall between 70 and 130

99.5% of IQ scores fall between 60 and 140

High IQ & Genius IQ

Genius IQ is generally considered to begin around 140 to 145, representing ~.25% of the population (1 in 400). Here's a rough guide:

115-124 - Above average (e.g., university students)

125-134 - Gifted (e.g., post-graduate students)

135-144 - Highly gifted (e.g., intellectuals)

145-154 - Genius (e.g., professors)

155-164 - Genius (e.g., Nobel Prize winners)

165-179 - High genius

180-200 - Highest genius

>200 - "Unmeasurable genius"

More notes on High IQ and Genius IQ:

Einstein was considered to "only" have an IQ of about 160.

Mensa is a society for people with high IQ, in the top 2% (1 in 50).

http://wilderdom.com/intelligence/IQWhatScoresMean.html

Edited by Tracey in TX

Mensa is a society for people with high IQ, in the top 2% (1 in 50)

The thing is that most of us 20-40somethings (and many of our kids too) were tested on the old tests but times have changed so much that the norms are no longer accurate. People are scoring differently than they would have ages ago due to many different things. More than 2% score over 130 on those tests.

The thing is that most of us 20-40somethings (and many of our kids too) were tested on the old tests but times have changed so much that the norms are no longer accurate. People are scoring differently than they would have ages ago due to many different things. More than 2% score over 130 on those tests.

Scores on the new SB-V are appearing lower, though. Some profoundly gifted kids are scoring barely in the gifted range on this test. That is why it is SO important to have a licensed and experienced psychologist administer the test and go over the results with you.

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/highly_profoundly.htm

Also, on many of these tests, there is a pretty low ceiling. My dd hit many ceilings on subtests both times she was tested, so the score we got is merely an estimate. There were not enough questions on the test, essentially, to get a more accurate picture. Some swear by using the old SB for these purposes. I have mixed feelings on that.

Scores on the new SB-V are appearing lower, though.

Right...the distribution is probably back to the normal bell curve on the new test. But for this thread, none of us would have been given that and many of us with older kids wouldn't have had our kids tested on that either. So it is very possible that our scores are higher.

My older son is the only one in our family who has been tested. His score was higher than the highest score you listed.

Can I just say I'm sure he gets it from dear old mom? :tongue_smilie:

By the way, can I ask what led each of you to take an IQ test in the first place? Not the internet variety, but those of you who were administered an official test...why was it done?

I'm glad my future son-in-law will be offering smart genes to our future grandchildren!!