Menu

My Vitamin D level is 19

Greta

... and I've been taking supplements!!!    :confused1:

Beyond the obvious need to increase the dosage, is there anything else I can do to get my levels up?  

(Sunshine is not an option - exceptionally fair Irish skin and a strong family history of skin cancer.)

How much are you taking per day?  When xh and I first started supplementing with Vitamin D and had lower levels, we took 10,000 IU a day and it took him more than 6 months if I remember correctly to get his levels raised enough.  Mine were good after 6 months.

• Like 1

Beyond the obvious need to increase the dosage, is there anything else I can do to get my levels up?  

(Sunshine is not an option - exceptionally fair Irish skin and a strong family history of skin cancer.)

type of oil used as a delivery method matters. (I think olive oil is preferred.) brands really do vary widely in quality and absorbability. (due to the oil used.)

at that level - I'd be taking 10,000IUs of drops which include vitamin K per day.   drops are the most absorbable.  (my dds d3 level was 10 - this is what she had to do to get her levels up.  she's  still only in the 30s.)  you want a d3 level of at least 50.

then be retested in about six weeks.

I use NOW - as a compromise between quality and price.

• Like 2

I recommend sunshine.  You don't have to fry yourself to get some Vit D.

Mine was 19...or 17...not sure....and I felt like crap.  I mean I could not function.  I always recognize it now and take steps to rectify it.....sunshine mixed with supplement.

that doesn't work for everyone - no matter how much sunshine they get.

• Like 5

Thank you all so much!  You guys are the best - I knew you'd know more about this than I do.

I was only taking 400 IU per day, and it looks like the brand I was taking uses soybean oil as the carrier oil.  Probably not the best.  Thank you for mentioning drops - I've never seen them but I'll track some down or order them online if I need to.

The symptom that I brought up with my doc is memory and concentration problems.  He said there are five things they screen for with memory problems, and this was one of them.  I'm wondering now how long I've been low and what symptoms I might have that I've come to think of as just a normal part of my life!  I know that D is related to immunity, and that I have a terribly weak immune system -- I can just look at somebody who has a cold and I'm sick as a dog for three weeks!  I've also been dealing with chronic migraines for a couple of years now - not sure if that might be related or not.  It will be interesting to see how things change once I get up to normal levels!

• Like 4

Oh I don't know what your goal level is, but the newer research (and my docs) say go for 50 at the least. The old "normal" lab value wasn't high enough. At 19 my hair would be falling out in handfuls and I would have trouble getting out of the recliner chair.

The lab gave a reference range of 30-100 being normal, but that seems like a pretty broad range.  From what I'd read online I was thinking I'd aim for 50, but I've sent a note to my doc asking how much I should increase my dose and how high we should try to get it.  I wanted to get the hive's opinion too, though.   :001_smile:  And you guys are quicker to respond, since you're here weekends too!   :D

My energy levels definitely aren't what they used to be, though certainly not as low as what you're describing.  I have had some hair loss lately, but just thought that was one of the many joys of perimenopause!  I also really struggle with muscle cramps - could that be related?

Oh I don't know what your goal level is, but the newer research (and my docs) say go for 50 at the least. The old "normal" lab value wasn't high enough. At 19 my hair would be falling out in handfuls and I would have trouble getting out of the recliner chair.

Fascinating! I'll bring this up at my next appointment.

The lab gave a reference range of 30-100 being normal, but that seems like a pretty broad range. From what I'd read online I was thinking I'd aim for 50, but I've sent a note to my doc asking how much I should increase my dose and how high we should try to get it. I wanted to get the hive's opinion too, though. :001_smile: And you guys are quicker to respond, since you're here weekends too! :D

My energy levels definitely aren't what they used to be, though certainly not as low as what you're describing. I have had some hair loss lately, but just thought that was one of the many joys of perimenopause! I also really struggle with muscle cramps - could that be related?

lol I couldn't answer the muscle cramp question because when mine was so low I couldn't get my muscles moving enough to generate a cramp! But I know it helps with healing, which may include muscle recovery. Hopefully someone in the know will have a better answer.

• Like 1

lol I couldn't answer the muscle cramp question because when mine was so low I couldn't get my muscles moving enough to generate a cramp! But I know it helps with healing, which may include muscle recovery. Hopefully someone in the know will have a better answer.

I'm glad you're doing better!  It must have been very miserable.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

My oldest DS's levels were once measured at three (3). THREE. (Last doc visit, it was 15.) He's on seizure meds for epilepsy, and a side-effect of long-term seizure med use is decreased vit D levels. 

When he has a week or two of mega-doses under his belt, the improvement in his mood is amazing.

• Like 2

Thank you all so much!  You guys are the best - I knew you'd know more about this than I do.

I was only taking 400 IU per day, and it looks like the brand I was taking uses soybean oil as the carrier oil.  Probably not the best.  Thank you for mentioning drops - I've never seen them but I'll track some down or order them online if I need to.

The symptom that I brought up with my doc is memory and concentration problems.  He said there are five things they screen for with memory problems, and this was one of them.  I'm wondering now how long I've been low and what symptoms I might have that I've come to think of as just a normal part of my life!  I know that D is related to immunity, and that I have a terribly weak immune system -- I can just look at somebody who has a cold and I'm sick as a dog for three weeks!  I've also been dealing with chronic migraines for a couple of years now - not sure if that might be related or not.  It will be interesting to see how things change once I get up to normal levels!

the usrda is still listed as 400IUs (to my knowledge).  that was  set back in the day when they thought vitamin d (not specifically d3) was about teeth and bones.  rickets can start when d3 levels reach 7.  so, that is *very* low.   the rda hasn't really been raised.  eventually they set a lab value of 30, (and one oncologist said she never had a patient with a d3 level >30.).   they are still learning what d3 does in the body - FAR more than they ever dreamed 40 years ago.  d3 has been reclassified as a hormone (came up in one of dd's classes), and minimum  blood level is 50.  My ND prefers around 70.    the reclassification came about because of how involved d3 is with multiple body systems in the individual cells, and how it is made.

The lab gave a reference range of 30-100 being normal, but that seems like a pretty broad range.  From what I'd read online I was thinking I'd aim for 50, but I've sent a note to my doc asking how much I should increase my dose and how high we should try to get it.  I wanted to get the hive's opinion too, though.   :001_smile:  And you guys are quicker to respond, since you're here weekends too!   :D

My energy levels definitely aren't what they used to be, though certainly not as low as what you're describing.  I have had some hair loss lately, but just thought that was one of the many joys of perimenopause!  I also really struggle with muscle cramps - could that be related?

hair loss, for me, was thyroid.  yeah I was in peri - but as soon as I was getting a better dose of thyroid hormone - it stopped falling out and is getting thick again.

• Like 1

I was suffering from horrible muscle aches for months and didn't know why.  I did have bloodwork done and my Vitamin D level was 37.  I started taking a supplement and the soreness went away.  I feel so much better now!  I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but I am going to keep taking the supplements for sure.  I feel like a whole new person.

• Like 1

Just curious- are you taking capsules or liquid Vitamin D? It maybe that different delivery method would work better rather than increasing dosage. When mine was in the low 20s, I tried capsules and nothing would budge. My doctor was ready to start me on mega doses and I was not willing.  Then a friend of mine suggested liquid and what a difference. Even at 1000 IU per day my numbers went up by almost 10 points in just 6 months. Now I take 2000 IU per day, recheck every 6 months until numbers are where I want them to be. I take Ddrops. You can find them on amazon cheaper than CVS (400, 600, 1000 IU per drop) 

• Like 2

I think it's your dose more than the type you used.

If you stay under 10,000 IU per day, you won't get too much. So when I was raising mine, I did 10,000 IU (two 5,000 IU pills) per day for 6 days, and then one 5,000 IU pill on Sunday. I was able to raise relatively quickly. I would recommend you drastically increase your dose.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the further replies!  I have been taking it in gelcap form, so I will ask my doctor whether he'd recommend taking a larger dose of that, or switching to the liquid.

My oldest DS's levels were once measured at three (3). THREE. (Last doc visit, it was 15.) He's on seizure meds for epilepsy, and a side-effect of long-term seizure med use is decreased vit D levels. 

When he has a week or two of mega-doses under his belt, the improvement in his mood is amazing.

Wow - poor guy.  That is a lot to deal with.  I'm so glad he's doing better.

the usrda is still listed as 400IUs (to my knowledge).  that was  set back in the day when they thought vitamin d (not specifically d3) was about teeth and bones.  rickets can start when d3 levels reach 7.  so, that is *very* low.   the rda hasn't really been raised.  eventually they set a lab value of 30, (and one oncologist said she never had a patient with a d3 level >30.).   they are still learning what d3 does in the body - FAR more than they ever dreamed 40 years ago.  d3 has been reclassified as a hormone (came up in one of dd's classes), and minimum  blood level is 50.  My ND prefers around 70.    the reclassification came about because of how involved d3 is with multiple body systems in the individual cells, and how it is made.

hair loss, for me, was thyroid.  yeah I was in peri - but as soon as I was getting a better dose of thyroid hormone - it stopped falling out and is getting thick again.

This is really interesting info.  Thank you!

I was suffering from horrible muscle aches for months and didn't know why.  I did have bloodwork done and my Vitamin D level was 37.  I started taking a supplement and the soreness went away.  I feel so much better now!  I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but I am going to keep taking the supplements for sure.  I feel like a whole new person.

I'm glad you're feeling better, and I hope it will have the same effect for me!   :001_smile:

• Like 1

Mine was at 18 and I was put on 100,000 units a week (50,000 twice a week) of D2 via prescription. That only got me up into the 20s, so after reading D3 is better absorbed by some folks, I asked about trying some OTC. At 35,000 a week (5,000 a day), I'm now up into the 30s. 

My husband responded to the D2 better than I did. My daughter's levels were just tested and were either 17 or 19 (can't remember right now), so they are trying the D2 with her.

• Like 1

cheese-its!

When I get low I do around 50k iu D3 a week and am able to get it up pretty quick that way. 

From what I've read getting enough d this time of year in the US is nearly impossible. Especially for us that have issues with absorption, which among other things is caused by Celiac and thyroid disease.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

Mine was at 18 and I was put on 100,000 units a week (50,000 twice a week) of D2 via prescription. That only got me up into the 20s, so after reading D3 is better absorbed by some folks, I asked about trying some OTC. At 35,000 a week (5,000 a day), I'm now up into the 30s. 

My husband responded to the D2 better than I did. My daughter's levels were just tested and were either 17 or 19 (can't remember right now), so they are trying the D2 with her.

there is a difference between d2 and d3.  any dr prescribing d2 should be fired and you move on.   d2 might raise the levels in the *short* term, but they won't in the long term.

d3 is the form you want.

• Like 6

I use a liquid from of Vitamin D 3 (make sure it says 3!) by Bluebonnet. I drizzle a a few drops on coconut oil and swallow it. Mine got up to 60 and my naturopath said I could ease up now but I still take about 3000-4000IU.

For Bluebonnet, one drop = 1000IU

• Like 2

Hahaha  :) Jut sort for holy Cheeze-its, which was my thought on seeing a level that low.

LOL!  Darn, I thought eating cheez-its was a magic way to get more Vitamin D.  I'd be all over that!  I struggle daily not to eat too many of those delicious cheesy squares of heaven!

• Like 7

The vitamin D thing can get complicated.  I have a kiddo with a level that hovers in the 20s-30s.  However, he also has a high calcitriol level.  In his case, he is homozygous for the VDR taq polymorphism (vit D receptor).  In our experience, more vitamin D is actually unhelpful for his autoimmune situation (makes him more symptomatic) - weird but true.  The best I can figure is that in the big picture, for him, low vit D/high calcitriol is just another marker of inflammation/immune disfunction.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

The vitamin D thing can get complicated.  I have a kiddo with a level that hovers in the 20s-30s.  However, he also has a high calcitriol level.  In his case, he is homozygous for the VDR taq polymorphism (vit D receptor).  In our experience, more vitamin D is actually unhelpful for his autoimmune situation (makes him more symptomatic) - weird but true.  The best I can figure is that in the big picture, for him, low vit D/high calcitriol is just another marker of inflammation/immune disfunction.

I'm not familiar with this condition, so I certainly appreciate you mentioning it.  I'm off to google...

My d is very low and my blood calcium is high. I have parathyroid disorder. You might wantvto get checked for it. Unfortunately, I also have fatty liver, which can also screw up vit d.

Thank you for mentioning this! I checked my lab results and my calcium levels are normal. It doesn't look like my doctor did any sort of liver tests.

Uh, I've been battling low vitamin D for 6 months now. I can't tell you how miserable I was. I honestly thought I had bone cancer or something, that's how bad my bones and muscles ached. I've been trying to get my levels up for about 6 months now, and my last blood test showed 23. For me, this is better but I definitely want to get it up higher. My doc too said 30-100 is normal, but I'm shooting for at least 40. I had NO idea how vitamin D can affect a person. I was just miserable! I could barely function. I'm currently taking 50,000IU's a week, and it's D3. If my levels aren't up, what can I suggest to them? What would be a logical up from that level? All I know is, this vitamin D thing is serious and I think I'll always be battling it (fair skin sun hermit) here.

• Like 1

Last Feb I was at a level of 12.  Went back to dr this week because I started feeling like crap again and wanted levels tested.  Turns out the gov't here no longer will pay for testing of vit d levels unless the person is Dx with a metabolic disorder.  We are to assume everyone is low and just supplement.  So Stupid.  Dr recommended I take between 5,000-10,000 IU every other day.  Basically start with the 5,000 and see if I start feeling better if not to increase until I am.  For me my low vit D is a huge contributor to my seasonal depression so if I want to avoid antidepressants I have to get my levels up quickly.  Not to mention the over all feeling of crap needing to be dealt with.

• Like 1

Uh, I've been battling low vitamin D for 6 months now. I can't tell you how miserable I was. I honestly thought I had bone cancer or something, that's how bad my bones and muscles ached.

Yes, that's exactly how I felt!  But my level was 37 and I felt better after taking a supplement.  Hope you can get your level higher and start feeling better soon.

• Like 1

Brandy, I'm so sorry that you can't get your testing paid for anymore.  That stinks!  

Meadowlark, I'm sorry to hear how much you've been struggling with this too.  I had no idea that this affected so many people, or that the effects could be so bad!  I know I should be grateful that we caught it now, before I got even worse.  But I also can't help but wonder how long this has been going on, and how much it may have damaged my body.  

I'm curious, everyone who has been diagnosed with D deficiency -- do you also supplement with Vitamin K?  Some websites say that the two work together, and you need the K to absorb the D.  Other websites make no mention of it.  I'm wondering how much K I should take.  I'm hesitant to megadose unless I have a specific reason to.  So maybe just the RDA of K, but 10,000 IU of D?

Uh, I've been battling low vitamin D for 6 months now. I can't tell you how miserable I was. I honestly thought I had bone cancer or something, that's how bad my bones and muscles ached. I've been trying to get my levels up for about 6 months now, and my last blood test showed 23. For me, this is better but I definitely want to get it up higher. My doc too said 30-100 is normal, but I'm shooting for at least 40. I had NO idea how vitamin D can affect a person. I was just miserable! I could barely function. I'm currently taking 50,000IU's a week, and it's D3. If my levels aren't up, what can I suggest to them? What would be a logical up from that level? All I know is, this vitamin D thing is serious and I think I'll always be battling it (fair skin sun hermit) here.

Its fat absorbable, so next thing to check is your fat intake, and your ability to absorb fat. Your primary should be able to get you started. Also, check your plate. Are you eating well, and are you maintaining a healthy weight?

Can you overdose on D3? The last time I had my levels checked they were just barely in the normal range at 31. I've been supplementing off and on but have been afraid to take too much. I wonder if I need to take more. If a few drops of D3 could improve my energy level, mood, immunity, and get rid of these random muscle aches this winter that'd be great.

Can you overdose on D3? The last time I had my levels checked they were just barely in the normal range at 31. I've been supplementing off and on but have been afraid to take too much. I wonder if I need to take more. If a few drops of D3 could improve my energy level, mood, immunity, and get rid of these random muscle aches this winter that'd be great.

It's pretty hard to overdose on D.  I remember reading a study about it once.  The details are fuzzy but if I'm remember correctly was the test subject had blood serums over 200 (current is 30(or 50 depending on the lab)-100) so much higher than "accepted" and there was no sign of vitamin toxicity. Personally I keep mine over 80 or I have sleep issues.  I regularly have test results of 120-150 and my doctor is fine with that.

• Like 1

31 is no longer considered  in the normal/healthy range.  the minimum has been raised to 50.    My ND prefers it to be around 70.  

• Like 2

I got a note from my doctor saying he had sent in a prescription for me, for 50,000 IU pills.  So the question of how much to take has been settled.  He wants to re-check my thyroid in three months, because my TSH is still within normal range, but just barely, and has been dropping steadily for the last three years.  We'll recheck my Vit D level at that time too.

Thank you all SO VERY MUCH for all of your help in this thread!

• Like 2

I got a note from my doctor saying he had sent in a prescription for me, for 50,000 IU pills.  So the question of how much to take has been settled.  He wants to re-check my thyroid in three months, because my TSH is still within normal range, but just barely, and has been dropping steadily for the last three years.  We'll recheck my Vit D level at that time too.

Thank you all SO VERY MUCH for all of your help in this thread!

define normal range.   did you know they include people who do not have an optimum tsh in their "normal range"?

healthy tsh is actually <1.5  tsh isn't produced by the thryoid. 

the numbers you want to know are free t3 and free t4.

my last dr wanted me for something or other every two - three months.  (money maker for her.)  she refused to test them.  she finally said she would - but what she really did was test my TOTALS.  another worthless number.  it doesn't tell you what your body actually has available to use.

eta:  I'm now on NDT - my tsh is < 0.5 (which she does just as a comparison.   freet3 and free t4 are still the important numbers.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

define normal range.   did you know they include people who do not have an optimum tsh in their "normal range"?

healthy tsh is actually <1.5  tsh isn't produced by the thryoid. 

the numbers you want to know are free t3 and free t4.

my last dr wanted me for something or other every two - three months.  (money maker for her.)  she refused to test them.  she finally said she would - but what she really did was test my TOTALS.  another worthless number.  it doesn't tell you what your body actually has available to use.

eta:  I'm now on NDT - my tsh is < 0.5 (which she does just as a comparison.   freet3 and free t4 are still the important numbers.)

Thank you, gardenmom!  Yes, I'm aware that the "normal" ranges on thyroid numbers are so broad as to be almost meaningless.  So I'm glad that this doc is paying attention to the fact that the numbers have been changing, and cares enough to be concerned about that, even though they're technically "normal".  This was just a routine TSH screening, which I gather has limited usefulness, but he did say that in three months he wants to do a more thorough test, including T3 and T4, and I know that at least one of them said "free" but I'll have to go back and check if it was both.

My mother and grandmother both developed hypothyroidism during menopause, so I'm guessing it's just a matter of time for me (and I'm in peri now, so probably not much time!).  But here's the weird part:  my TSH has actually been going down, which could indicate possible hyperthyroidism, not hypo, right?

Oh, also, since Vit D is actually a hormone and not a vitamin, does it interact with or affect thyroid hormone levels?

all your chemistry will affect other chemistry - the question is how much.    but of the rec'd labs for thyroid patients - d3 is one that needs to be under control.

I hope your supplement will raise your levels.  my dd had a hard time raising hers.  (she was at 10)   they did finally start rising, and last I heard she was about 32.

• Like 1

31 is no longer considered in the normal/healthy range. the minimum has been raised to 50. My ND prefers it to be around 70.

I believe that not all labs are up to this standard, so it depends on who does the work. Each lab flags results as high, low or normal based on their own standards. Not that they all have freaky differing standards, just that some seem slow to adjust to new norms. That's why I request a copy of my lab reports and look for specific numbers to discuss with my (wonderful, up to date) doctor, especially numbers for Vit D, thyroid breakdowns, and iron/anemia related markers.

For Vit D, the lab report may very well have labeled the 31 within normal range, but I would hope an informed physician would have noticed it.

• Like 2

It's pretty hard to overdose on D.  I remember reading a study about it once.  The details are fuzzy but if I'm remember correctly was the test subject had blood serums over 200 (current is 30(or 50 depending on the lab)-100) so much higher than "accepted" and there was no sign of vitamin toxicity. Personally I keep mine over 80 or I have sleep issues.  I regularly have test results of 120-150 and my doctor is fine with that.

My brother did.  He wouldn't tell our mom how high it was but his natural path told him he had to stay out of the sun for the whole summer.

• Like 1