Menu

What is your Thanksgiving meal like with dietary restrictions?

IfIOnly

This year I'm hoping to try a nut crust pumpkin pie, but I'm not sure I'll be able to pull it off without eggs. There's got to be something that will bind the filling and taste good. I'm going to find a recipe today to try and hope for the best.

I'd also like to figure out a gluten free stuffing recipe because it's what I miss the most. I've tried rice and other whole grains as a sub but it's not the same without dried bread. I'm not convinced the rice bread I buy would be a good substitute either though.

Our menu looks like:

Roasted Turkey

Gravy made with cornstarch

Mashed potatoes with ghee, salt, and water

Green beans

Sweet potatoes

Homemade cranberry sauce - gingery

Veggie tray with olives and hummus

Berry almond flour with shredded coconut cobbler topped with coconut icecream

What on your menu?

There are such things as vegan eggs that are gluten free.  They are made to act like eggs in recipes and stuff.  I saw some at a regular store yesterday.  Quite expensive, but just thought I'd throw that out there as a possible option.

I gave up on low carb crusts though which usually use nut flour or coconut flour.  I don't like the way they taste.  So I'd make a pumpkin pie without the crust.  Or turn that into some sort of pumpkin muffin or pumpkin pudding with whipped cream.  Maybe make a gluten free crunchy crumble for a texture contrast.

• Like 2

I would just use butter or fake butter (earth balance) with the crust and press into pan. I think egg would make it too hard.

Look for some sort of GF cornbread stuffing.

Thank you! It's looking like canned coconut milk subbed for the dairy and cornstarch for the egg in the filling might work nicely. I'm going to try it!

I do need to visit Whole Foods today and see if the have something. GF things can be pricey for little packages, so even if they do, buying it might not be realistic for our family size. Also, almost always, GF bread has dairy or eggs and those are allergens here, too!

• Like 1

Never tried those vegan eggs but flaxseed meal eggs are what I use and they work really well. You can either buy the flaxseed as meal or whole seeds and grind them yourself in a blender or food processor.  (I usually buy the meal from TJs because I'm lazy) Add water, wait a few minutes til everything gels a bit and then add it to the recipe. Googling 'making a flax egg' gives you the instructions and ratios of water to flax. Only negative of flaxseed is that it can go rancid if not kept cold so just pop the bag in the fridge or freezer between uses.

BTW, Minimalist Baker is a great blog for vegan recipes with few ingredients. :) GL!

• Like 3

There are such things as vegan eggs that are gluten free. They are made to act like eggs in recipes and stuff. I saw some at a regular store yesterday. Quite expensive, but just thought I'd throw that out there as a possible option.

I gave up on low carb crusts though which usually use nut flour or coconut flour. I don't like the way they taste. So I'd make a pumpkin pie without the crust. Or turn that into some sort of pumpkin muffin or pumpkin pudding with whipped cream. Maybe make a gluten free crunchy crumble for a texture contrast.

Did not know about those eggs. That's great. Thanks!

Hm. I'll think some more about the nut crust and those good ideas. I def. do want to attempt gluten free flour crust. Too much work for an iffy result. If I can't press it in, forget it. Ha!

Never tried those vegan eggs but flaxseed meal eggs are what I use and they work really well. You can either buy the flaxseed as meal or whole seeds and grind them yourself in a blender or food processor. (I usually buy the meal from TJs because I'm lazy) Add water, wait a few minutes til everything gels a bit and then add it to the recipe. Googling 'making a flax egg' gives you the instructions and ratios of water to flax. Only negative of flaxseed is that it can go rancid if not kept cold so just pop the bag in the fridge or freezer between uses.

BTW, Minimalist Baker is a great blog for vegan recipes with few ingredients. :) GL!

I do use the flax sub a lot for eggs! I'm just not sure I want to taste flax in my pumpkin pie. :/ I did find several recipes with good reviews using cornstarch. I'm thinking I might try that or the vegan eggs. Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

I'd also like to figure out a gluten free stuffing recipe because it's what I miss the most. I've tried rice and other whole grains as a sub but it's not the same without dried bread. I'm not convinced the rice bread I buy would be a good substitute either though.

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you?  They sell GF stuffing.  I made it last year and it turned out pretty good. 

• Like 1

Also forgot to say, last year I used a pre-made Mi-Del GF crust for the pumpkin pie.  It was a sweet crust, not my favorite, and IMO it didn't go well with the pumpkin filling.  My kids weren't fond of it either.  I have made GF crusts from scratch but I find them difficult to handle.  This year I am making pumpkin pudding - just the pumpkin filling, baked in a casserole dish. 

• Like 2

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They sell GF stuffing. I made it last year and it turned out pretty good.

Yes, thank you!! It looks like there are no dairy or eggs in it either. It is $6 a bag which I'm sure is cheaper than anywhere else, but it looks like I'm gonna have to shell out a bit if I want the good stuff. Thank you!

We will have a vegan guest, a vegetarian, and the rest are omnivores.

Our compromise is that the vegan and vegetarian are willing to tolerate the turkey, and all other dishes will be vegan.

I have been thinking about ways to make our standard dishes vegan, and found that it is mostly easy. We will have red cabbage, rice, roasted potatoes (instead of mashed), sauteed brussel sprouts (in oil instead of butter), roasted yams (instead of candied, to avoid butter), blackberry crumble with coconut oil in topping instead of butter. I sill bake some vegan pumpkin bread.

The things I am not sure how to sub:

celeriac puree must have milk; I can try and see if almond milk works, I don't think coconut will go well with celeriac.

The sprouts need toasted pecans that are glazed in butter/salty almond syrup mixture. Not sure how to replace the butter. 

ETA: Cannot find vegan butter.

But I feel good about knowing about the small pitfalls, i.e. vegan friendly sugar and wine, and having acquired suitable products.

Edited by regentrude

Cannot find vegan butter.

I think - but not positive - that Earth Balance is vegan.  It's sold here in the regular Kroger grocery as well as Whole Foods.  It comes in sticks and tubs.  There are multiple versions, organic, olive oil, regular, etc.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

My dh has done our Thanksgiving cooking for years, so I don't know exactly what he does with all the things, but:

Butter for him but not me.  He separates out a portion of potatoes and mashes with EarthBalance margarine--the kind in the tub, not the sticks.  

He has a gluten-free stuffing mix that seems to work ok for him.  (I can't eat it because it has eggs in it.)  He cooks his turkey spatchcocked on a wire rack, over the stuffing in the pan, rather than "stuffing" the turkey.  It is so much better this way, especially for the GF sort of stuffing which tends towards gumminess anyway...so the way you cook your turkey might be part of the recipe change.  

He makes gravy with sweet rice flour, as cornstarch can have the same effect as gluten for some celiacs.  He makes a roux (fries the rice flour in butter) first, which is not as good as a wheat-based roux, but...can't have everything.  If I want gravy, which I don't always want, he uses EarthBalance.  

He has celiac; I have mild wheat allergy but awful dairy and nut allergy, so there is a lot to accommodate.  

As for dessert, we have a local GF bakery here that does magnificent pies.  We got an apple pie for Thanksgiving; it's in the freezer righ this minute. 

I hope this is helpful.  

Our compromise is that the vegan and vegetarian are willing to tolerate the turkey, and all other dishes will be vegan.

I have been thinking about ways to make our standard dishes vegan, and found that it is mostly easy. We will have red cabbage, rice, roasted potatoes (instead of mashed), sauteed brussel sprouts (in oil instead of butter), roasted yams (instead of candied, to avoid butter), blackberry crumble with coconut oil in topping instead of butter. I sill bake some vegan pumpkin bread.

celeriac puree must have milk; I can try and see if almond milk works, I don't think coconut will go well with celeriac.

The sprouts need toasted pecans that are glazed in butter/salty almond syrup mixture. Not sure how to replace the butter. 

But I feel good about knowing about the small pitfalls, i.e. vegan friendly sugar and wine, and having acquired suitable products.

For your celeriac pure I'd suggest unsweetened soy. Almond is too thin imo. Coconut leaves an aftertaste. 

Earth Balance is a vegan margarine. 

Becel makes a vegan margarine too but it's not good cooking/baking. 

The BEST vegan butter is Miyoko's cultured butter; cooks, bakes & spreads like European butter. It's hard to find here but in the US, you can get it shipped directly & sometimes Whole Foods carries them. http://miyokoskitchen.com/products-miyoko/

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 2

Our limitations, spread over different people, are dairy, soy, coconut, and almonds. This is our second Thanksgiving with the dairy allergy. Everyone is old enough that we can have some separate foods.

Turkey

Gravy made w/o dairy

Mashed potatoes w only salt and pepper

Roasted sweet potatoes

Other veg tbd (probably 2 dishes)

Bread stuffing

Fresh cranberry sauce w orange

Dairy-free pumpkin pie made w almond milk

Pumpkin pie w dairy

Apple pie (?)

Something chocolate and dairy-free

I buy Earth Balance soy free margarine. It's ok but I can really taste it in some things. I'll have to look for the other one mentioned; thank you.

• Like 1

I think a nut crust sounds lovely.  I'm imagining something akin to the texture of a cheesecake crust, but with slightly larger chopped nuts.  Mmm....hazelnut and pumpkin?  Divine! You can always go for a pumpkin parfait, though.  Then you don't need a crust. :)

I have used cornstarch in place of eggs before and it does work, but the texture might be a little off, almost more silky. 

• Like 1

For a great pie crust, try this: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/05/13/ridiculously-easy-chocolate-pie-crust/

It uses sticky dates to glue everything together :)  No egg or substitutes required. 

For vegan eggs in baking, I usually use the flax egg or Ener-G Egg Replacer (it's also gluten free) 

The Follow Your Heart Vegan egg http://followyourheart.com/veganegg/ is something that hasn't come to Canada yet - only keeners who have driven down across the border to buy have it but I'm told it's great. 

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 1

Our Thanksgiving requires me to bring all of my own food to my mom's house because otherwise there's nothing to eat. I just love schlepping an entire meal 20 minutes away.

No eggs necessary for pumpkin pie corstarch works just fine. I use this recipe - http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/03/03/bryannas-vegan-pumpkin-pie/

For pie crusts, vegetable shortening can work.

For mashed potatoes - Yukon gold potatoes are creamy enough that you can skip the butter and use a plant based milk. I like mine that way and add nutritional yeast. You usually need more milk than you think in this case.

• Like 1

I think - but not positive - that Earth Balance is vegan.  It's sold here in the regular Kroger grocery as well as Whole Foods.  It comes in sticks and tubs.  There are multiple versions, organic, olive oil, regular, etc.

I looked fro this specifically. Our Kroger does not carry it, and the nearest Whole Foods is 100 miles away.

I looked fro this specifically. Our Kroger does not carry it, and the nearest Whole Foods is 100 miles away.

FWIW, there is a store finder on the website http://earthbalancenatural.com/store-finder/  (I have also bought it at Super Target and Walmart, but now I'm guessing it's just way more available here in CO, 24 stores within 10 miles).

• Like 2

I made this gluten free vegan pumpkin pie last year and it was great. You *have* to let it cool overnight in the fridge or it's not anywhere near as good.

http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-gluten-free-pumpkin-pie/

That looks simple and doable. I'm going to try that recipe with maybe a few additions to the filling. Thank you very much for sharing!

What a spread. Sounds delicious. The dairy free milks are strong tasting. That's why we just use water with our mashed potatoes. I hope you find something that works for your celeriac and nut dish. It's tough finding a good sub sometimes.

My dh has done our Thanksgiving cooking for years, so I don't know exactly what he does with all the things, but:

Butter for him but not me.  He separates out a portion of potatoes and mashes with EarthBalance margarine--the kind in the tub, not the sticks.  

He has a gluten-free stuffing mix that seems to work ok for him.  (I can't eat it because it has eggs in it.)  He cooks his turkey spatchcocked on a wire rack, over the stuffing in the pan, rather than "stuffing" the turkey.  It is so much better this way, especially for the GF sort of stuffing which tends towards gumminess anyway...so the way you cook your turkey might be part of the recipe change.  

He makes gravy with sweet rice flour, as cornstarch can have the same effect as gluten for some celiacs.  He makes a roux (fries the rice flour in butter) first, which is not as good as a wheat-based roux, but...can't have everything.  If I want gravy, which I don't always want, he uses EarthBalance.  

He has celiac; I have mild wheat allergy but awful dairy and nut allergy, so there is a lot to accommodate.  

As for dessert, we have a local GF bakery here that does magnificent pies.  We got an apple pie for Thanksgiving; it's in the freezer righ this minute. 

I hope this is helpful.  

Those are great tips. Thank you! I am worried about gummy stuffing. It frees up the oven to just stuff the turkey, but you're right. That might not be the best way to do GF stuffing.

Aldi has a gluten free stuffing mix! Trying it for the first time this year.

We don't have an Aldi. I've never even seen one.  I hear so much about that store here on the WTM. Glad you found GF stuffing!

Our limitations, spread over different people, are dairy, soy, coconut, and almonds. This is our second Thanksgiving with the dairy allergy. Everyone is old enough that we can have some separate foods.

Turkey

Gravy made w/o dairy

Mashed potatoes w only salt and pepper

Roasted sweet potatoes

Other veg tbd (probably 2 dishes)

Bread stuffing

Fresh cranberry sauce w orange

Dairy-free pumpkin pie made w almond milk

Pumpkin pie w dairy

Apple pie (?)

Something chocolate and dairy-free

I buy Earth Balance soy free margarine. It's ok but I can really taste it in some things. I'll have to look for the other one mentioned; thank you.

I like your two veggies plan. I'm going to do that. Thanks! One of the mushrooms recipes on another thread going right not looks really good. Most of us like mushrooms here. At least the adults do. ;) It would be a stove top recipe too, which is nice since the oven will be full.

I think a nut crust sounds lovely.  I'm imagining something akin to the texture of a cheesecake crust, but with slightly larger chopped nuts.  Mmm....hazelnut and pumpkin?  Divine! You can always go for a pumpkin parfait, though.  Then you don't need a crust. :)

I have used cornstarch in place of eggs before and it does work, but the texture might be a little off, almost more silky. 

Thanks for vouching for the cornstarch!

Our Thanksgiving requires me to bring all of my own food to my mom's house because otherwise there's nothing to eat. I just love schlepping an entire meal 20 minutes away.

No eggs necessary for pumpkin pie corstarch works just fine. I use this recipe - http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/03/03/bryannas-vegan-pumpkin-pie/

For mashed potatoes - Yukon gold potatoes are creamy enough that you can skip the butter and use a plant based milk. I like mine that way and add nutritional yeast. You usually need more milk than you think in this case.

Aw, bummer there's not some accommodating for you. :(  Thanks for the tips. 001_wub.gif

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

I think I might try a DF cranberry (or another kind) of jello and fruit salad this year, too. These look good. I might replace the celery for more apple though. I would love the celery, but DH is not a big fan.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/23010/cranberry-salad-vii/

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/9163/moores-cranberry-gelatin-salad/

I don't change the whole menu to fit just some people. I don't eat some foods, but then I eat from what is left. I am thinking there is nothing being served here that everyone eats. So if a few people can't or don't want to eat something or several things, there is plenty of other food.

Why do you keep going then? I wouldn't go if there was nothing I could eat. In fact, I had a relative who stuck pork in everything until I stopped coming. I don't eat pork.

I looked fro this specifically. Our Kroger does not carry it, and the nearest Whole Foods is 100 miles away.[/quotes]

try finding Smart Balance margarine. It is more wide spread than Earth Balance. It should have an O with a U inside, but NO D. It might have the word pareve under the O. It is in a green and yellow square container. Earth Balance is better, but Smart Balance isn't bad.

Edited by YaelAldrich
  • Like 2

Why do you keep going then? I wouldn't go if there was nothing I could eat. In fact, I had a relative who stuck pork in everything until I stopped coming. I don't eat pork.

I really don't think my family realizes what it's like and plus they think I should just eat what everyone is eating because that's what you're supposed to do on holidays. One of my sisters is usually really good about trying to be inclusive, though so I won't have to bring desert.

They're usually terrible about restaurants, too. Dh's family is worse. Kudos to those who make holiday meals inclusive.

Your plan sounds fantastic! As a vegan, I would be over the moon happy if that were the case.

Celeriac puree - cashew cream/milk? Raw cashews have a less assertive flavor. Soaked cashews blended with water. More water for thinner, less water and you end up with something closer to sour cream texture. If you have a high powered blender you can skip soaking. When heated, I find the cashew milk/cream thickens right up.

Glazed pecans - instead of finding a butter substitute (I think Earth Balance tastes funky), maybe search for a "vegan glazed pecan" recipe to sub. Not sure what's in your recipe or I'd make more specific suggestions.

Oh, and back to the pie crusts, Isa Chandra Moskowitz has a new holiday cookbook out. She uses refined coconut oil and partially frozen olive oil in her pie crust recipe in the book.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 1

Aldi has a gluten free stuffing mix! Trying it for the first time this year.

We had this last night for a pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving gathering. Other than "Seriously, Do Not Overmix!" it was good!

Aldi also has the GF French fried onions for green bean casserole. Or eating straight out of the can, whatever.

• Like 2

I think the so delicious coconut milk in the green box (no vanilla and unsweetened) works well for cooking. I cannot taste the coconut in it.

Wal-Mart came out with their own brand of almond milk and DH with no food allergies tried it and says it tastes like "real" milk. It's been the only kind of many alternative milks I've brought home that he has said that about. Because I havent had cow's milk in such a long time and don't remember how it tastes, I'll just have to take his word for it.

We are gluten, dairy, egg, soy, peanut, and nut free. Sigh. Not fun!

I make dressing with Schar bread and a cornbread I make myself. It works out ok.

I make gravy with chicken broth (after making a roux).

We have chocolate pie and apple crisp. We are not pumpkin pie fans and egg free pumpkin pie is really not our thing. I haven't had good success with it.

I make green bean casserole from scratch - so no canned soup. My hubby makes homemade onion straws to put on top.

I make paprika corn with bacon.

I make mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes.

And I make rolls.

Thanksgiving is so complicated with our allergies. It's really not very fun to figure it all out.

• Like 1

We are gluten, dairy, egg, soy, peanut, and nut free. Sigh. Not fun!

I make dressing with Schar bread and a cornbread I make myself. It works out ok.

I make gravy with chicken broth (after making a roux).

We have chocolate pie and apple crisp. We are not pumpkin pie fans and egg free pumpkin pie is really not our thing. I haven't had good success with it.

I make green bean casserole from scratch - so no canned soup. My hubby makes homemade onion straws to put on top.

I make paprika corn with bacon.

I make mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes.

And I make rolls.

Thanksgiving is so complicated with our allergies. It's really not very fun to figure it all out.

Can I ask how he makes the onion straws? I looooove green bean casserole, but I need to stay gluten-free. I already make homemade cream of .... soups, but I've never fried onions.

• Like 1

I'd like to try making DF and GF cream of mushroom soup if anyone has a recipe and can share?

I just saute mushrooms, garlic, and shallots, I add some thyme, salt, and pepper. I make a roux with the fake milk then add bouillon or broth but you could try adding some bouillon, fake milk, and then making a slurry with corn starch or other starch that is ok for the diet?

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 2

Would maple glazed pecans be a good substitute? This recipe has maple syrup, salt, and nuts.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/maple-glazed-walnuts-recipe.amp.html?client=ms-opera-mobile&espv=1

If the link doesn't work, it is Ellie Krieger's maple glazed walnuts.

Edited by hellen
  • Like 2

I just saute mushrooms, garlic, and shallots, I add some thyme, salt, and pepper. I make a roux with the fake milk then add bouillon or broth but you could try adding some bouillon, fake milk, and then making a slurry with corn starch or other starch that is ok for the diet?

That sounds super easy and yummy. Thanks! I know the cornstarch vs flour will change the flavor it a bit, but with all those great seasonings, I'm optimistic.

I went all around town looking for GF French fried onions- no dice! I might try to make my own though.

I did find GF stuffing at TJ's but for some reason didn't read the ingredients until I got home, contains eggs and milk. Arg.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

Piggybacking a bit here, but anyone know of another paleo friendly flour option that ISN"T nut or coconut? DD is allergic to both, and I'd like to make her muffins but can't figure out another alternative that isn't a grain or nut or coconut!

There are some bean flours, but I'm not sure how they would taste in sweet muffins.

Thank you for forcing me to consider this!

Low FODMAP menu:

Turkey, fresh and home brined.

Gravy: concentrated drippings or cornstarch thickened if I can find organic/non GMO. (Can't handle regular)

Cranberry sauce: mini crockpot with sugar on the table, out of the way. Dump and run. Cranberries. Sugar. A little orange peel.

Stuffing: either from Trader Joe's GF sandwich bread or using the GF flour blend to make bread. SautĂƒÂ© oil/butter with onions and celery, remove vegetables when cooked through, stir in 2 TB apple juice, add bread cubes, salt, pepper, sage, and thyme. The apple juice normally isn't okay, but my recipe serves 8. Throw it in the oven.

Roasted root vegetables: potatoes, turnips, sweet potatoes, carrots. Oil. Salt. Oven.

Green bean casserole: Sauted bacon. Cook beans in drippings. Put in casserole dish, layer with chopped bacon and shredded cheddar. Bake. Have also made vegan with liquid smoke and oil, vegan cheese.

Pumpkin custard ramekins: Add glucose syrup to balance sugars, banana for egg replacer, hemp milk or lactose free cows milk, bump the spices up a bit. Bake in a Bain Marie.

Green salad/vegetable tray from the last of the garden.

No bake cookies. Cause everything else is already in the oven! Ă°Å¸Ëœâ‚¬ I love my oven. Huge. Convection.

Edited by Elizabeth 2
  • Like 1

We had this last night for a pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving gathering. Other than "Seriously, Do Not Overmix!" it was good!

Aldi also has the GF French fried onions for green bean casserole. Or eating straight out of the can, whatever.

Because of this comment I dragged all the kids out to Aldis this morning! We grabbed those French fried onions! It's been years since we've had them!

Unfortunately they were sold out of the gf stuffing. Still a proper green bean casserole allergen free will be had!,! Thank you!

• Like 1

Because of this comment I dragged all the kids out to Aldis this morning! We grabbed those French fried onions! It's been years since we've had them!

Unfortunately they were sold out of the gf stuffing. Still a proper green bean casserole allergen free will be had!,! Thank you!

Bummer on the stuffing!

I used to make green bean casserole with the PW onion straws (using GF flour) but it's a lot of work and frying stuff. So much easier this year.

I think Aldi is supposed to have GF flour for 2.99/box starting this week or next, too. I should get more so I can make more egg noodles and gravy.

• Like 1

Earth balance butter is vegan and can be cooked or baked with. Tastes the same (IMO) too!

• Like 1

I do use the flax sub a lot for eggs! I'm just not sure I want to taste flax in my pumpkin pie. :/ I did find several recipes with good reviews using cornstarch. I'm thinking I might try that or the vegan eggs.

You need the flax egg 2.0. These things are amazing! I used to only use the flax meal version, which I still use if it's something like pancakes or something I don't mind flax taste. But these are what I used for pumpkin pie last year and for christmas sugar cookies. I couldn't tell there weren't real eggs in there. 

http://www.thespoonandshovel.com/entries/2014/10/12/flaxegg2

• Like 2