Menu

Does this kind of thing exist?

ILiveInFlipFlops

We're talking about plans for next summer, and (long story short), I'm wondering if something exists like the thing I'm sort of imagining. 

We rent a cabin in a woodsy or maybe lake-type area that we have all to ourselves (with a kitchen), but that is part of a larger structure or community. The larger entity manages optional activities that people could choose to go to or sign up for, or they could not do those things and could instead choose to go off by themselves if they wanted quiet. And maybe at night there are communal events like campfires or dances or something.

The more I think about it, I guess I'm picturing something like the resort community in Dirty Dancing :lol: Do those even exist anymore? If they do, do they have a name--some keyword I can search on? 

Thanks!

• Like 1

The Dirty Dancing resort is back open. Complete with themed weekends. :)

We have done something similar in Germany - staying in a cabin but going to the resort main house for organized activities.  Mostly, though, I think what you're looking for is something like a Family Camp.  It's an organized week/weekend with things you can do as the community or choose to go off on other pursuits. 

ETA: Or a dude ranch.  There are some here with cabins and a big house.

Editing again - here's a link for a family camp here. http://laitylodgefamilycamp.org/

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 1

Where are you wanting to vacation?

I know of a nice place like that on Lake Winnepasaukee in New Hampshire. I think they are quite common in the northeast.

I would love to hear about it! New Hampshire would be totally doable. I'm thinking pretty much anywhere in the eastern US--maybe not too far south, since we don't love the heat.

Yes, I think it must be family camp. Though I'm hoping for something a little more glamorous than the couple I've looked at so far :D Callaway Gardens is gorgeous but out of our price range. I'm kind of thinking of something in the middle range, maybe. It will take some research, I think. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

I would love to hear about it! New Hampshire would be totally doable. I'm thinking pretty much anywhere in the eastern US--maybe not too far south, since we don't love the heat.

Sure, I can find the name. But glamorous it is not; the one I'm thinking of is quite rustic.

Smuggler's Notch in VT might be another place to check out. I'm not sure they have cabins, but they have lots of activities.

We went there last summer, and it was fun. We stayed at more of a time share type resort, but would have preferred a cabin. The resor had some good activities though!

We stayed at another one about an hour and a half from Montreal. It was like connected lodges on a lake, and it was fantastic. We stay d in our cabin, but there were optional activities, and even a spa. Very woodsy, camp-ish.

There's a log cabin community near Gatlinburg, TN that sounds exactly like what you're describing. Log cabins are all individually owned, some take pets, some are more secluded than others. All are on their own tiny bit of land, but inside a gated community. Ours had arcade games and pool, hot tubs, all the usual cabin stuff. But there was a central area with activities, pool, etc. We loved it, but we aren't big gatlinburg fans, so we're hoping to find something similar elsewhere. If you have any desire to go to that area, I can find the name of the community.

I think it would be worth checking state parks.

This is what I was thinking.  When I was a a kid, we would vacation at state parks in Kentucky, and I remember  activities.  I can't remember too many specific things, but I do remember guided hikes in the day, and square dancing in the evening.   That was years ago, and maybe things have changed, but I do have fond memories of them.

We stayed somewhere like that when I was a kid in the Blue Ridge. It wasn't a family camp, but more like a resort with ongoing activities that you could sign up for. We had a little cabin we rented. I feel like maybe it was near Fontana, but maybe I'm mixing it up with another vacation... My mother took us to a lot of places in the NC mountains and they all blurred together after awhile, honestly.