Menu

Just for fun..if you were moving out of the country..

ktgrok

We haven't found anywhere without significant downsides or isolation, this is still the best choice for us with our skills and lifestyle. Everywhere sucks in its own unique way, truthfully - even New Zealand and Canada. Those are my personal top choices if I didn't want to learn a new language and wanted a similar standard of living.

When we moved overseas, we were not homeschoolers. I put my then 5th grader in the international school, and I was emotionally crushed by how bad bad bad the school was for our family (standard disclaimer...not necessarily a bad school but absolutely a bad fit).

Well, it was the only international school in the city. And that is how we ended up becoming a homeschool family. Luckily, it is legal in Denmark and I had that option.

So for anyone moving overseas with dreams of your children attending an international school, you may want to have a Plan B if it is the only one in the area.

Total aside: Have you read The Year of Living Danishly? After reading it I was really curious to know if the author's take on being an expat there was accurate and how it might differ for expats from different countries and those who lived in a more urban area vs. the isolated community where the author lived. The author went into their move with the idea of it being a research/journalistic project so that seemed to influence her experience and thoughts as well.

From the USA, where would you go? DH is in cybersecurity, which opens up some options as far as work visas, so it IS possibly. Not likely that we'd ever pick up and leave, but as a fun daydream thing, where should we think about? Again, just daydreaming.

But...homeschooling family, none of whom are fluent in another language,place with cybersecurity/tech jobs, socialized medicine? Obvious choices seem UK (we've been to Scotland and loved it), Ireland, and Canada.

Which of those three has the more mild weather? Which has more sun? (guessing the answer about sun is "none of the above" lol)

For cyber security, I hear Russia is nice.

:-)

(DH is an info security analyst. I can barely get him to go to work somewhere other than our living room, let alone entertain moving to another country!)

I recently read The Year of Living Danishly by Helen Russell. The author and her husband, who are British, moved to Denmark when the husband got a job with Lego. It was a fascinating book, although a bit :ohmy: at times. The Danish culture is very oxymoronic--they are the happiest country in the world but have very high divorce and domestic violence rates. They have wonderful social outlets and health care opportunities, yet they have a high rate of smoking and alcohol consumption. They have a high rate of church membership but many of those members consider themselves agnostic/atheist. After reading this book, I'd love to try to live elsewhere (especially Europe or Latin America) but would need to go in thinking about it as a temporary measure as the author did because some of those unexpected cultural differences could end up being deal breakers.

To answer the OP's question--even though I've never been, I think I could live in Australia. I'm in Florida right now, so I'm used to warm, sunny, laid-back, and lots of weird bugs/snakes/creatures, which it seems like I could also find there.

I wonder who decides and what measures are used to decide who is happiest?

For cyber security, I hear Russia is nice.

Lol! I married that rare animal -an extrovert IT guy.

:-)

(DH is an info security analyst. I can barely get him to go to work somewhere other than our living room, let alone entertain moving to another country!)

Australia or New Zealand? You could homeschool, mild weather, beautiful and no language issue.

I was just going to say that I was surprised no one mentioned Australia and New Zealand -- two more beautiful Commonwealth countries.  And, bonus! They both get nice and sunny!

Because I like snow and maple syrup. Also, Canada is much closer to NYC than Mexico is, and several family members (not me) speak French to varying degrees of fluency and we all speak English, but nobody speaks Spanish. (I took Latin. Most useful thing I learned in high school, but I still forgot most of it!) Plus, there's miles and miles of unprotected border between us and Canada, but I hear that if That One Candidate wins Mexico will build a wall to keep That One Candidate out and make That Candidate (now president) pay for it. Or something.

Umm... you might want to hurry.  We're working on something up here. ;)

Disclaimer: contains quasi-political satire, and one NSFW word.

• Like 2

I think the easiest transition would be to an English speaking country. In this order: Canada (Not Quebec), Australia and the UK.  On the topic of weather, I think Australia would be the winner, followed by the UK.  I occasionally communicate with a TTUISD family that are in the UK.  His company transferred him there about 5 (?) years ago. They are having a great time, getting to see lots of Europe that Americans who are not wealthy would never be able to do.  Their tax situation is very complicated and his company pays for their U.S. and U.K. tax returns to be prepared.  She wrote me several years ago,  when he buys shirts for work in the UK they are about USD $125.  In Texas, about $30.  Not sure of the prices, but that's very close. I suspect he will buy clothes when they visit TX later this month.  Lots of forms to fill out to get the Work Visa but they seem happy there.  

If it doesn't involve a foreign (to U.S. Citizens) government, probably lots of potential opportunities for him.

I was contacted years ago by a "job shop" in Paris (GECI) about a position in the South of France, but in the end the client (defense) couldn't get Security Clearances for foreigners.  And, I once interviewed for an assignment in Germany, but it was too short to qualify for the exemption from U.S. Income Tax and I told them I wasn't interested. Those 2 things were many years ago, before Europe had so many problems with Radial Islamic terrorists.  

Has he looked into working for the U.S. Government or a Contractor?   Years ago, when I looked, they had some positions on their web sites. U.S. Army, etc.

Get everything in writing and nothing ambiguous in the contract.  Be well versed on the tax implications. The U.S. A. is one of 2 countries in the world that taxes  citizens on worldwide income.  That's one thing that keeps corporations from repatriating $ they have overseas back to the USA.

There is an exemption from U.S. Income Tax for bona fide Overseas Americans. The number    varies each year. Probably about USD $95K.

Total aside: Have you read The Year of Living Danishly? After reading it I was really curious to know if the author's take on being an expat there was accurate and how it might differ for expats from different countries and those who lived in a more urban area vs. the isolated community where the author lived. The author went into their move with the idea of it being a research/journalistic project so that seemed to influence her experience and thoughts as well.

Yes, I did read the book. I thought it was funny. I agreed with her on some things, not so much on others. We lived in a city center, but the biggest difference between us was life phase. We went there with a 10 yr old, a 17 yr old, and a 19 yr old.

Umm... you might want to hurry.  We're working on something up here. ;)

Disclaimer: contains quasi-political satire, and one NSFW word.

:lol:  :hurray:  :lol:

I absolutely love my "second" country (being a born on the border youngun).  Maybe splitting time between there and the Caribbean isn't such an "off the table" idea.

Thanks for sharing... and, um, I'm stealing forwarding that on to my guys.   :coolgleamA:

You've got my vote BTW.  It wasn't hard to get it.

• Like 1

So...i was telling DH about me starting this thread and he says, "About that...a recruiter contacted me yesterday about a job in the UK!"

He doesn't know what for, or anything more about it, but what a coincidence!! (also flattering to my husband, who also was recently recruited by SpaceX, but turned it down because we don't want to move to California). It's so good for him to realize he's "wanted" for lack of a better term. 

He didn't tell me about the job because he thought I wouldn't be willing to move that far from my family. And for most moves I wouldn't. But for living in Europe for a few years...that would be hard to turn down. I LOVE my extended family, but side trips all over Europe?

• Like 5

You may dislike the colder and damper weather, but I liked living in GB when I was younger. It was nice to be away from the big cities though, and like any place depends on where you live and work. We happened to live in quite a 'gardsn spot' in terms of weather and community, so that was pleasant.

You may dislike the colder and damper weather, but I liked living in GB when I was younger. It was nice to be away from the big cities though, and like any place depends on where you live and work. We happened to live in quite a 'gardsn spot' in terms of weather and community, so that was pleasant.

There are definitely things I would like. I HATE Orlando. It's too much sprawl, too much traffic with no decent public transportation to make up for it. All the downsides of suburban living but none of the good parts. From what I understand, urban areas of the UK have good public transportation, and more suburban/village areas are connected via train, plus have more walkability and more community feel. 

Edited to add: I ADORED Scotland when we visited (only place in Europe I've been). I felt totally at home there pretty much instantly. We stayed both in Edinburgh and in the highlands, and traveled around quite a bit. I liked the more quiet areas better than Edinburgh just because I didn't feel quite fashionable in Edinburgh, lol, but loved it all. 

Edited by ktgrok

I was just going to say that I was surprised no one mentioned Australia and New Zealand -- two more beautiful Commonwealth countries.  And, bonus! They both get nice and sunny!

Hey wait, I mentioned New Zealand!!! I'd go in a heart beat.

And as for Canada for president, I propose that we simply issue a prodical son apology to the UK, and wait for them to fatten the calf and throw the welcome home party.

:biggrinjester:

I seriously considered moving to Canada but not Quebec for a while. Dh's job was one of the ones that you could apply for. It just was a really long process and by the time it was done two years later the cap for the occupation could have been reached already. It is not an easy process. If you had a company that sponsors you that would be the easiest way. I liked Canada because it is not too far from our extended family and there is no language barrier. I really like the political climate and the people. When we traveled through Canada we really got along with people. I am ready for a warmer place though and the places that are nice weather wise have a very high cost of living.

I also like Denmark, Sweden and other European countries but I think the language barrier would be too hard. The UK might be workable though. I really love the idea of Australia and New Zeleand but yes it is very far away and that makes it too hard to see extended family. I would love it if everyone could come to Australia too but that will not happen.

Edited by MistyMountain

So...i was telling DH about me starting this thread and he says, "About that...a recruiter contacted me yesterday about a job in the UK!"

He doesn't know what for, or anything more about it, but what a coincidence!! (also flattering to my husband, who also was recently recruited by SpaceX, but turned it down because we don't want to move to California). It's so good for him to realize he's "wanted" for lack of a better term. 

He didn't tell me about the job because he thought I wouldn't be willing to move that far from my family. And for most moves I wouldn't. But for living in Europe for a few years...that would be hard to turn down. I LOVE my extended family, but side trips all over Europe?

As I wrote in my first reply to your thread, the TTUISD family I communicate with occasionally, has seen a lot of Europe by now. There are many vacations from the UK to other destinations, which I assume are charter (?) flights, with hotel packages, but I'm not sure the flights are on charter aircraft.

I remember her writing to me that the forms they had to fill out for their Visas for the UK were very invasive. They've been there about 5 years now and seem happy.  It is an experience that few Americans who are not wealthy can replicate. I assume that when they eventually return to the USA they will experience the true "culture shock".  

Edited by Lanny

DH and I were talking about this just this morning. He applied for a job where we could potentially live overseas. As I'm originally from England and he grew up in Asia we came up with Singapore (not where he grew up but an amazing city) or England (close to my parents). 

Both of those would be a drastic move as we live in NW Florida. I have severe wanderlust so either sound good right about now. I feel though, that living in either country would be very different than visiting.  I'm headed to England for Christmas and every time I go I'm reminded about how different it is to the US.

• Like 1

We are fortunate to have had some amazing opportunities living in other countries.  I love it and do it any chance I have.  (We are going to be in South Africa for about 3 months early next year.)  When I think of living in another country, my ideal is to have it nothing like the U.S.   So it would never be Canada or England, or probably not even Western Europe.  I would certainly live in one of those places if given the opportunity!  It just wouldn't be my first choice.

• 4 weeks later...

Come to Australia. No language issues, decent weather, beautiful scenery and homeschooling is not uncommon and growing all the time. :) Seriously, it is a great place!

To answer the question at this stage of our lives I would choose England but only for a couple of years, I will always come home to Australia. There are many other places on our list but given ages and current family dynamics England would be our best best and I love it there, so much history. When kiddos are a bit older (and ASD kiddo not needing as much therapy) then we will expand out list, we have serious looked at it before and plan on actually going one day soonish.

• Like 1

Come to Australia. No language issues, decent weather, beautiful scenery and homeschooling is not uncommon and growing all the time. :) Seriously, it is a great place!

To answer the question at this stage of our lives I would choose England but only for a couple of years, I will always come home to Australia. There are many other places on our list but given ages and current family dynamics England would be our best best and I love it there, so much history. When kiddos are a bit older (and ASD kiddo not needing as much therapy) then we will expand out list, we have serious looked at it before and plan on actually going one day soonish.

I'd probably fit in best in Australia. But...too far to be able to visit family in the US easily, and I'm pretty sure it is very difficult to bring your pets with you there. (may have changed, it's much easier in the UK than it used to be). 

SaveSave

There are a few places I'd like to try living for a while - maybe a Nordic country, Somewhere in the UK, maybe Scotland.  Germany, possibly another place in Europe.  India appeals to me though there would be more culture shock.  My dh was in Rwanda for six months and would love to go back to Africa.

But realistically, for someone in the OPs position, I guess there are a few things to consider.  I probably wouldn't try homeschooling in many of the continental European countries.  Even where it was legal, it wouldn't tend to fit in with the culture much, and I might feel like we weren't really taking in the cultural experience.

One thing about Scotland and the UK is that I think at the moment it can really be quite difficult to move there - immigration from non-European countries is fairly tight.

I'm in Canada already, and my preference here would be to stay on the East Coast.  I'd be interested in the North as well, but I am pretty sure that between the dark and the flies I'd not last.

• 3 months later...

Any news on this? Curious.

We thought maybe in 2018  we'd be headed to Ireland for one year. It would be spring so dh was going to go first to set up while I finished up schooling our then senior, got deposits on dorms done, moved the other college boys home for the summer, etc. Then we were going to take all three of them, do Ireland for the summer, fly us home before the fall semester started, move them into the dorms, and I'd go back.

We were excited, very excited. It was a 1-2 year gig. I was ready to resign from 4H, and make arrangements for my mom and mother in law to have extended visits.

Nope, his employer decided that all of the team training and management could be done by video conferencing and phone calls from here.

GRRRRR......