Menu

Need new dinner plates

bethben

My Corelle plates are getting chipped and stained and I just need some new plates.  I really need chip resistant because my kids do the dishes and if they can chip Corelle plates, porcelain and other types of plates like that will also chip.  Any suggestions?

I've had my Fiestaware for 11ish years. Only one bowl is chipped, and that's because I dropped it from the counter onto a tile floor. They have a 5 year chip replacement warranty. https://www.fiestafactorydirect.com/t-faqdinnerware.aspx

And we have a winner! I always liked my moms set and thought that when my kids were older I could finally have a nice set of dishes. I found at kohls, it's around $22 for a set of three--plate, salad dish, and bowl. That seems like a nice price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

And we have a winner! I always liked my moms set and thought that when my kids were older I could finally have a nice set of dishes. I found at kohls, it's around $22 for a set of three--plate, salad dish, and bowl. That seems like a nice price?

Check Slickdeals. Occasionally Kohls will have an insane sale that's 30% off and $10 off $30 coupon. A friend got her set with this by placing a zillion different orders of 2 sets at a time. Free shipping with Kohls card.

Is THIS why everyone loves Fiesta ware? I've been trying to figure out the appeal. Knowing they will replace anything chipped makes me want to look at them again, for mugs specifically. (assuming you can buy just mugs). Corelle has worked for most things for us but the mugs get hard use and look it. Stains, etc. (they are white)

Is THIS why everyone loves Fiesta ware? I've been trying to figure out the appeal. Knowing they will replace anything chipped makes me want to look at them again, for mugs specifically. (assuming you can buy just mugs). Corelle has worked for most things for us but the mugs get hard use and look it. Stains, etc. (they are white)

We usually use stainless travel mugs here at home, but guests seem to like the Fiesta mugs. They do absorb heat, so if you microwave your mug, it gets hot and stays hot for a bit. I don't have any white Fiestaware. 

We usually use stainless travel mugs here at home, but guests seem to like the Fiesta mugs. They do absorb heat, so if you microwave your mug, it gets hot and stays hot for a bit. I don't have any white Fiestaware. 

We almost never microwave them, so that's not an issue. But I just looked and they are $10.99 per mug. Nope. I'll stick with my Ikea mugs for that price. (I've gradually been replacing the Correlle mugs with ones from Ikea that I like). 

We almost never microwave them, so that's not an issue. But I just looked and they are $10.99 per mug. Nope. I'll stick with my Ikea mugs for that price. (I've gradually been replacing the Correlle mugs with ones from Ikea that I like).

If you buy the FW on sale is much much cheaper. I bought mine as sets on Black Friday. I think I paid $16 or $18/set which were 5 piece sets. That also came with Kohl bucks, so I used those to buy serving pieces when they were on sale later.

ETA- I also bought some from Macy's on sale last year on BF with free shipping.

Edited by FriedClams

I bought 8 place settings for around $20 each at Kohls and will wait to buy a final 4 settings (possibly just the plates)  at a later date when they go on a decent sale again.  Thanks!  I think a five year chip replacement will get us to at least my daughter's teen years when the chipping factor will go down significantly.  Yay!  We are slowing replacing all of our junk dishes, silverware, and glasses with better stuff.  Getting rid of the plastic and replacing with good solid nicer stuff.  I think every couple should have a wedding shower every 20 years.  

• Like 1

I bought 8 place settings for around $20 each at Kohls and will wait to buy a final 4 settings (possibly just the plates) at a later date when they go on a decent sale again. Thanks! I think a five year chip replacement will get us to at least my daughter's teen years when the chipping factor will go down significantly. Yay! We are slowing replacing all of our junk dishes, silverware, and glasses with better stuff. Getting rid of the plastic and replacing with good solid nicer stuff. I think every couple should have a wedding shower every 20 years.

That's a good price. Kohl's and Macy's will very often have a price similar to that when using their card/coupon.

I have 8 place settings of white Fiesta and I've added some colored bowls and several 9" luncheon plates.

Are there issues with lead or anything like that in fiestaware? I thought this was a concern with bright colors. I need to replace a few things and don't care about the chipping but worry about the lead thing

As long as you're buying it new or made after 1986, yes. And it's made in the US, which makes me feel better than a manufacturer in China claiming lead free. https://www.fiestafactorydirect.com/t-faqdinnerware.aspx

• Like 2

I bought 8 place settings for around $20 each at Kohls and will wait to buy a final 4 settings (possibly just the plates) at a later date when they go on a decent sale again. Thanks! I think a five year chip replacement will get us to at least my daughter's teen years when the chipping factor will go down significantly. Yay! We are slowing replacing all of our junk dishes, silverware, and glasses with better stuff. Getting rid of the plastic and replacing with good solid nicer stuff. I think every couple should have a wedding shower every 20 years.

What color did you buy?

I've been looking at fiestaware for years. I want white dishes, and can't seem to find any that I love. Does anyone have white FW and love it? I know many like it because of the bright colors and to mix-and-match.

What color did you buy?

I've been looking at fiestaware for years. I want white dishes, and can't seem to find any that I love. Does anyone have white FW and love it? I know many like it because of the bright colors and to mix-and-match.

I really like my white correlle except for the mugs. And my only issue with the mugs is that stirring them with a metal spoon seems to leave discolorations or something. http://www.corelle.com/vive-enhancements-16-pc-dinnerware-set/1125803.html

• Like 2

What color did you buy?

I have 8 place settings of white Fiestaware. I love it. I got white partially because I couldn't pick out colors (I wish I were kidding 🙄).

The main reason I got white though was because I had a set of white pfaltzgraf that I was replacing but I still had a bunch of serving pieces and the Fiesta went well with it.

ETA- I have added some colored bowls and luncheo plates so I'm not 100% boring.

Edited by kitten18
  • Like 1

I love the way fiestaware looks on a table, but I just don't have that kind of cabinet space. If you're replacing Corelle keep in mind that you'll need more space for stoneware dishes and they'll be much heavier to put away. I'll bet they hold their heat really well when you preheat them. That would be nice.

My kids have never chipped a dish, so I think m living on a whole 'nother planet.

I went from Corelle to Fiestaware.  I love them!  They are nice and heavy and felt so luxurious next to my thin Corelle plates.  I finally donated my Corelleware to some Refugee families (I had enough for a couple of families!)

I like the bold colors.   Green, orange, purple, cobalt blue, red, and tangerine.  

• Like 1

The Fiestaware factory is in Newell, West Virginia.  I have about two dozen place settings and several serving dishes in almost all the colors, but being able to purchase them as seconds from the factory outlet store reduces the price considerably.  We took the plunge about three years ago to replace all of our Corelle dishes with Fiestaware and I've never been sorry.  For one thing, the bright colors just make me happy every time I open my cupboards.  They do not contain lead, and I've never had one chip.  A few have broken, due to operator error, but even then I'm so thankful it's not Corelle all over the floor.  The Fiestaware dishes break in reasonable chunks instead of shattering and skittering into every nook and cranny possible.  True confession:  I'm secretly happy when one breaks because it gives me an excuse to go shopping for more! 

It is true that they are heavier than Corelle and take more room to store.  A small inconvenience.

If you haven't tried any of the serving bowls or baking dishes, I recommend them because they are phenomenal.  The retain heat well, bake beautifully and clean up easily.  

• Like 3

Well, now I think I've decided I need new FW dishes! Of course, I've been looking for a few years to find what I want, so it's not really that spur of the moment. But with everyone saying Black Friday is when to get the best price, I think this year is the year! :) My problem with the 4- or 5- piece place settings is that I don't like the small cups. I need those big 15-oz mugs. Is it ever economical to just buy what you want separately? I wish they'd make a place setting with the big mugs!

Kitten18...I can relate with the choosing colors thing. I could look and analyze and eventually be crippled with that decision! :/

I can never find the white in-store to look at though, which bugs me. I've tried many different Dillard's and a couple of Macy's.

I'll have to have them shipped if I buy during BF. Have most of you had good luck with that, or did you buy in-store?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I have the cabinet space. I tend to keep the old "just in case" so I have to reconfigure where the old stuff is going to go. My mom has a lot of FW and has just taken off the doors of those cabinets to make her kitchen more cheery.

It's worth thinking about plate size if portion control is an issue in your family.  People fill plates, whatever the size.

So true. I have a separate set of bowls and plates that are tiny, for me post weight loss surgery. I love them. I also buy smaller forks and spoons (at Ikea) for myself and the kids. 

Well, now I think I've decided I need new FW dishes! Of course, I've been looking for a few years to find what I want, so it's not really that spur of the moment. But with everyone saying Black Friday is when to get the best price, I think this year is the year! :) My problem with the 4- or 5- piece place settings is that I don't like the small cups. I need those big 15-oz mugs. Is it ever economical to just buy what you want separately? I wish they'd make a place setting with the big mugs!

Kitten18...I can relate with the choosing colors thing. I could look and analyze and eventually be crippled with that decision! :/

I can never find the white in-store to look at though, which bugs me. I've tried many different Dillard's and a couple of Macy's.

I'll have to have them shipped if I buy during BF. Have most of you had good luck with that, or did you buy in-store?

Thanks!

I bought my white place settings in the store at a big Macy's.

I think it would be fine to have them shipped. I've bought a few colored pieces from Amazon and they arrived intact.

The place settings will come well padded in their own box.

• Like 1

It's worth thinking about plate size if portion control is an issue in your family.  People fill plates, whatever the size.

True! I wish I had the cabinet space for the luncheon plates. Alas, not right now... The edges do curve up, so we don't tend to overfill these often. Plus I hate my food touching. ;)

It's worth thinking about plate size if portion control is an issue in your family. People fill plates, whatever the size.

Yeah. DH is usually the only one here who uses the dinner plates (I use them to bring food to the table too), the kids use the 9" luncheon plates, and I almost always eat off the salad plates.
  • Like 1

Well, I just ordered 8 15-oz mugs, in white, from kohls. They didn't have the bistro place setting in white, so maybe I'll hold off til BF for that. This will be a good start though. :)

Yes, this is a dangerous forum to learn about products....If someone could tap into the buying power of this forum...the money they would make!

• Like 3

Yes, this is a dangerous forum to learn about products....If someone could tap into the buying power of this forum...the money they would make!

Definitely! I loved that thread awhile back where we all listed stuff we had bought just because we saw it here on the board. I could add many... :)

ETA: Also, I think if you say you have fiestaware, you should be required to list your colors. Lol

Edited by mmasc

With everyone talking about getting rid of their Corelle for FW, I just had to add that I did the opposite! After 13 years of using FW, this past year I bought a bunch of plain, white Corelle dishes I found on clearance at Walmart.  We started with 14 place settings of FW and were down to 14 plates, 6 mugs and 2 bowls.  It's not that they chipped, it's that they shattered on my tile floors.  We desperately needed bowls, so when I saw these on clearance I grabbed them.  I am loving how light the Corelle plates are, how little space they take up, how tidy inside my cabinets look with all the white there now instead of all the crazy colors and how inexpensive they were!

I'm thinking it may be that after a decade or so with one thing, it's just nice to have something different and new =)  

Edited by ksr5377
  • Like 1

With everyone talking about getting rid of their Corelle for FW, I just had to add that I did the opposite! After 13 years of using FW, this past year I bought a bunch of plain, white Corelle dishes I found on clearance at Walmart.  We started with 14 place settings of FW and were down to 14 plates, 6 mugs and 2 bowls.  It's not that they chipped, it's that they shattered on my tile floors.  We desperately needed bowls, so when I saw these on clearance I grabbed them.  I am loving how light the Corelle plates are, how little space they take up, how tidy inside my cabinets look with all the white there now instead of all the crazy colors and how inexpensive they were!

I'm thinking it may be that after a decade or so with one thing, it's just nice to have something different and new =)  

I think I actually will end up keeping my Corelle. I do love how light it is. And white can be casual or formal. 

With everyone talking about getting rid of their Corelle for FW, I just had to add that I did the opposite! After 13 years of using FW, this past year I bought a bunch of plain, white Corelle dishes I found on clearance at Walmart. We started with 14 place settings of FW and were down to 14 plates, 6 mugs and 2 bowls. It's not that they chipped, it's that they shattered on my tile floors. We desperately needed bowls, so when I saw these on clearance I grabbed them. I am loving how light the Corelle plates are, how little space they take up, how tidy inside my cabinets look with all the white there now instead of all the crazy colors and how inexpensive they were!

I had a few pieces of Corelle. When I dropped them on the tile they shattered into a million pieces. I've only broken one piece of Fiestaware and there were only about 8 pieces to clean up.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who like white dishes, I'll share my experience: When I was agonizing over dishes last year, I looked (and looked) and looked at Fiesta, but finally bought Mikasa French Country dishes at Costco - they were having quite a good deal on them, and I've been completely thrilled with them ever since. They make me happy every time I use them! I did buy some colorful small cereal bowls to go with them, but I just love my white dishes....

Anne

• Like 1