Menu

Have you ever swum in a heated outdoor pool in the fall/winter?

Janie Grace

If so, was it fun or miserable? We are considering an extended family vacation to the beach over Thanksgiving. There is the option of getting a house with a pool that can be heated (for an extra $400). This is a lot of money but if the kids would get hours of fun out of it, it might be worth it. It's hard for me to imagine... would it be so warm that it was like a big hot tub and the kids wouldn't care that the surrounding air was 40-50 degrees... or would it be miserable and no one will want to get wet in November, even if it is heated?

We go to a place every year in late fall that has an outdoor rooftop heated pool.  Sometimes it is even snowing as we swim in it!  It is so much fun!  The only difficult part is running into and out of the pool with just your swimsuit on in the cold.  But this pool is warm almost like a hot tub, and a big pool.  Maybe you can check on the temp of the pool?

• Like 1

We took a vacation to the Sierras, and our Airbnb had an outdoor hottub. The time **in** the hottub was fine, but the time **between** hottub and house with little ones was...not fun. I almost wrote "torture" but I'm trying to avoid hyperbole :) Just something to consider.

We took a vacation to the Sierras, and our Airbnb had an outdoor hottub. The time **in** the hottub was fine, but the time **between** hottub and house with little ones was...not fun. I almost wrote "torture" but I'm trying to avoid hyperbole :) Just something to consider.

Hmmm, well they are not "little" really... mostly teens/older kids.

Hmmm, well they are not "little" really... mostly teens/older kids.

Oh, yes, then they would have a BLAST - just make sure "heated" is warm enough. (What's warm enough? I really don't know. I'd just be bummed to arrive to a lukewarm pool.) 

• Like 2

We stay at a hotel with an indoor/outdoor pool-it's kind of the best of both worlds because you can enter the water on the indoor side (where the air is warm, and the water feels almost uncomfortably hot), and duck underwater to the outdoor side. Especially during snow it's kind of neat.

• Like 1

We stay at a hotel with an indoor/outdoor pool-it's kind of the best of both worlds because you can enter the water on the indoor side (where the air is warm, and the water feels almost uncomfortably hot), and duck underwater to the outdoor side. Especially during snow it's kind of neat.

I've done this a couple times and it's so much fun,

Many ski places have outdoor heated pools.  Bring bathrobes to throw on as soon as they get out, and run inside.  It's lots of fun.