Menu

Tips for remembering to drink water

creekland

I've come to the realization that my body no longer tells me when I'm thirsty.  I assume it's very similar to not telling me it's hungry - it's likely a brain/nerve issue (vs anything else health-wise).

It's not that difficult to remember to eat since I live with other family members who still get hungry, but if I forget, it's not life threatening since it's just a meal or so.

Water/fluid is completely different since too low of an intake of that can easily cause kidney damage, etc.  I don't currently have "other" problems and I certainly don't want them!

It doesn't help that the "that's enough" brain cue is still working fine, so having a large drink with meals isn't the answer.  My brain doesn't want that much all at one time (even spread out over the meal).

So... those of you who have suggestions from work or something in your life, what tips can I start to put into my life to ensure getting enough fluid?  I'm going to have to learn new habits.

When I look back on yesterday, I was woefully low, esp since I was also out working in the fields for a few hours.  At least it was a wake up call.  

I need to drink more water too. I think the first thing that might help is to get yourself a water bottle that you like, whether it is because of function, beauty, or whatever. If you have one that you like, you will probably remember it more. Then, always keep it with you, of course with water in it. Add fruit or veggies to, if that will make you drink it more. One other thing that I keep around for everyone to add to their water is True Lemon/Lime/Grapefruit. Walmart and Giant carry these, or you can order them online.

• Like 3

If you drink a big glass before every meal (16oz), you'll be on your way with 48oz. 

Rubber bands on a water bottle. Start them towards the top and move one down every time you finish the bottle. 

Drink a cup of water after every time you use the bathroom

Drink a cup of water each hour

set an alarm on your phone to go off every hour to remind you to drink

(not all these at once, or you'll be floating!)

• Like 4

I need to do this too. I am exactly like you. My plan is to use qt size mason jars with tops and straws and try to drink one in the morning, one in the afternoon. I may add something like Mio to the water, that does help me. I also like tea (unsweetened). My DH has been drinking 1 quart of tea at work and it has stopped him from going to get a soda at work. Therefore he has lost weight. Cool!

• Like 1

I agree with keeping a water bottle with you all the time. It is very easy to get dehydrated where I live because it's so dry, but if I carry a water bottle with me it's always there to remind me to drink some water. Also, I always drink as much as I comfortably can before doing something outside. But mostly, I remember to drink more water because I feel rotten if I don't.

• Like 1

I still use the big drinking mug with a straw that I got from the hospital when delivering DD 6+ years ago.   It is 32 oz.  

When I went on a diet that said drink lots of water, and was struggling, I used that big mug.   I'd fill it up in the morning first thing, and I had to have it finished before I ate lunch.  I wake up thirsty, so that isn't too hard.   Then after lunch I'd fill it up again and finish before bed.   Then I use a different glass on my nightstand and that was optional if I woke up thirsty.   Sometimes at pee I pee and then I'm thirsty.   I call it "water recycling".      I found the big mug that needed to drunk across a large time increment was doable.  I'd tried 8 oz every X time.   That did work, too much thought and counting.  

• Like 1

Using a straw helps me drink more.

I keep a glass of water next to my plate with every meal and try to slow down the meal so that I finish the glass, too.  I also don't discount the liquid inside foods - fruits and veggies have plenty of water in them, so the water I drink plus the 5 servings I get each day do enough to keep me hydrated.

• Like 1

I keep a pitcher of water and some lemons on the counter that I walk by constantly throughout my day.  First thing in the morning I drink a big glass (12 oz) of water with a squeeze of lemon.  Then, throughout the day, every time I walk past the counter, I see the water and drink some.  If I'm out I keep my 24-ounce bottle with me.  

If you keep a smartphone with you most of the time, or have it in a post in the house where you can hear it, there are phone apps to track consumption or you could just set a reminder every hour to ping you to drink.  

• Like 3

If you drink a big glass before every meal (16oz), you'll be on your way with 48oz. 

Rubber bands on a water bottle. Start them towards the top and move one down every time you finish the bottle. 

Drink a cup of water after every time you use the bathroom

Drink a cup of water each hour

set an alarm on your phone to go off every hour to remind you to drink

(not all these at once, or you'll be floating!)

FWIW, there's no way I could drink 16 oz of water (a whole bottle - of any drink) at one time.  Perhaps I can work up to it, but the "That's Enough" part of my brain will have a fit.  I'm pretty sure it's going to have to be in smaller increments more frequently throughout the day.

Firstly, you may already know the reasons for the poor messages from your body, but, if not, have you tried a chiropractor?  I was shocked to suddenly realize I was hungry/thirsty/had to go/hot.  I wasn't feeling any of those things, and was waiting for external cues.  It was the oddest thing, but amazing to feel them again.

As far as drinking water, I'm terrible about it.  I finally bought one of those gallon and a half cute pitcher things meant for large amounts of company.  I put a gallon of water in it a day, sometimes with some frozen fruit, or gatorade powder (if I've been a few days without drinking enough).  It is a very good visual for me.  When I walk into the kitchen, there's the my goal, sitting right in front of me.  I put some in a cup, drink up, and go on with my life.  I have also noticed that the more I drink, the more my body cues me to drink.  

https://www.amazon.com/Circleware-Lancaster-Beverage-Dispenser-Hermetic/dp/B00XS9IY1M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1475845409&sr=8-3&keywords=drink+dispenser+with+spigot+1+gallon

Something like that, but I do recommend a stand.  Then, you can put it anywhere that is convenient in your kitchen.  

I'm pretty sure it's all nerve issues not relaying messages - not 100% sure - but enough to not worry too much about it, other than not wanting to destroy other parts of my body as I adjust.  I definitely still feel cold - almost all the time.  I wish that one would go away!

Otherwise, I love the idea of the water in a jug sitting on the bar in my kitchen.  That would be a good reminder.  I've never put anything except lemon in water before.  What sorts of fruit are good (no strawberries or peaches - I'm not fond of those)?  I despise Gatorade or powdered flavorings.

Find a drink you like better than water.  I am just more likely to drink if I really like what it is I am drinking.  I like water ok, but not enough that I always remember to drink enough.  But, I REALLY like McDonalds unsweet tea (with just a tiny bit of sugar,) and will go out of my way sometimes to stop and get one. 

The only thing I like more than water is soda... full sugar varieties... probably not a good substitute often.  I've never liked tea, but force myself to drink a cup of Green Tea most mornings for breakfast.  Cold tea is disgusting to me, esp if sweet.  I can like sweet sodas, but not tea - no idea why.  I don't like coffee in any form either.

I still use the big drinking mug with a straw that I got from the hospital when delivering DD 6+ years ago.   It is 32 oz.  

When I went on a diet that said drink lots of water, and was struggling, I used that big mug.   I'd fill it up in the morning first thing, and I had to have it finished before I ate lunch.  I wake up thirsty, so that isn't too hard.   Then after lunch I'd fill it up again and finish before bed.   Then I use a different glass on my nightstand and that was optional if I woke up thirsty.   Sometimes at pee I pee and then I'm thirsty.   I call it "water recycling".      I found the big mug that needed to drunk across a large time increment was doable.  I'd tried 8 oz every X time.   That did work, too much thought and counting.  

I like the idea of having to drink a certain amount over a time increment.  Perhaps I can work that habit in.  Thanks!

Using a straw helps me drink more.

I keep a glass of water next to my plate with every meal and try to slow down the meal so that I finish the glass, too.  I also don't discount the liquid inside foods - fruits and veggies have plenty of water in them, so the water I drink plus the 5 servings I get each day do enough to keep me hydrated.

Even when "normal" I can't drink much while eating.  Hubby can go through his glass and refills (multiple).  I often go through a complete meal without a sip or barely any.  We have no idea why we're different, but it's been that way for years.  That's not new.  Before or after is fine, but not during.

We often eat many fruits and veggies, so yes, that should help I would think.

I used to know a woman with kidney disease who set out all her water for the day in covered 8 oz. glasses or jars.  The line on the counter was harder to miss than a single jug.   

This brings up a new question... what is a typical daily goal (knowing one has to add more if they're actively doing more)?  I can't say I've ever paid attention to how much is needed.  I've always been able to trust my body (sigh).

I have a 27 ounce Klean Kanteen, and I try to drink it three times in a day. You're not pregnant or nursing, so you probably don't need quite that much water. I aim to drink one before noon, one before four, and one before eight. Some of the first bottle I will drink at night. I almost never get that much water in a day, but when I do, I feel really good.

I don't like cold water, so in the cooler months, I keep a dispenser on the counter. It holds more than my water bottle does, so I refill from it.

You can add things to water too. These days, I throw NaturalCalm in mine for the magnesium, but it does give me a bit of flavor too.

I've noticed that the more I drink, the thirstier I am. It's as if my body goes, "Oh, so this is how I should feel." I think I just tuned out those signals of thirst and am chronically dehydrated, but when I start to drink more, my body's sensitivity to thirst increases.

• Like 1

I like lime in water a TON better than lemon.

One lime worth of juice in 16-24 oz of water is about the right proportion for me.

I also love ginger tea.  You take 5-7 'coins' of fresh ginger, pour boiling water over them (about 12-16 oz), and let it steep until it's down to room temp, then drink.  This is excellent for healing my stomach, too (I tend toward GERD.)

• Like 1

I believe I have read somewhere that the 8 glasses of water a day rule has been disproven.

It hasn't exactly been disproven, but people have tried to track down where it comes from and came up empty-handed, which shows it pretty much is an urban myth rather than rigorous science.

• Like 3

I use the app Plant Nanny. Fluff head that I am, this works for me. Not sure it would for you, though. I have a 16oz waterbottle and take that in the car with me to drink slowly over time. That turns out to be a time when I find it easy to drink. I try to camel up before I do any sort of excersize. I have a glass next to the bed that I finish as I get dressed, if I haven,t drunk it up in the night. I can be 8 oz. Down from the Plant Nanny weight recommendation, but if I am any more than that, I wake up next morning with a migraine. My youngest chopped out half my migraines by telling me about Plant Nanny. : )

Nan

• Like 2

I don't really like plain water too much, except for a glass with each meal or when I'm really hot, so I have to make a real effort to drink water throughout the day.

But what I found helps a lot since I don't like water much in the first place is to make lots of herbal iced tea.  I just keep it refrigerated, and I make myself drink at least three glasses of that a day, plus a glass of water with each meal.  And when I take a vitamin or something I always make myself drink a whole glass of water.

• Like 1

I have an app on my phone. It's called "Add Water".  It asks your age and weight etc and then gives you an amount of water to drink.  It is free, but you can pay .99 for an upgrade that lets you fiddle with it more.  I had it for like 2 years before I paid for the upgrade. I like the paid version a teensy bit better, lol. But, it's not necessary.

Anyway, it has a badge and you can see how much more you have to drink etc.  You can also allow it to send you reminders on your phone, but I don't do that.

I mostly just try to be habitual about it.  I drink a liter before I have breakfast, I drink another liter after lunch but before dinner.  I don't like to push fluids after dinner because it just leads to nighttime peeing, lol. I do drink after dinner, but I know I've got my minimum in for the day before dinner time.  I don't even think about it too much anymore. I just do it.

• Like 1

I believe I have read somewhere that the 8 glasses of water a day rule has been disproven.

A better guide is the color of your urine.  It should be near colorless, but not totally so (barring any supplements that change it).

It does have a source (I forget what it is though) , but the original meant water from all sources, including food.  One reason you need to drink lots of water when you change to a low-carb diet.  Carbs break down into sugar + water. Or just any diet, less food means less water IN your food.    

I think you are supposed to drink half your body weight (calculated in pounds) in ounces of water.  If you weigh 150, then drink 75 oz of water.  As a baseline.

So if I take 160/2, that leaves me with 80oz - which is 5 16oz bottles (since we can't drink our farm water due to high nitrates).  That's definitely a lot more than I usually drink even when I was thirsty.  Thinking back, I suspect the equivalent of 2 1/2 was probably more accurate. (1/2 for tea in the morning, another whole one would get me through the school day, then one for the afternoon/evening back home.)  Then add in any food sources I imagine.  We usually have some sort of fruit with dinner (veggies too).

But the past few days (more or less) have probably been down to 1 1/2, so it's not really a surprise that my body balked a little bit yesterday - esp working out in the field all afternoon.

This is definitely a "must fix before something else breaks" issue.

I've noticed that the more I drink, the thirstier I am. It's as if my body goes, "Oh, so this is how I should feel." I think I just tuned out those signals of thirst and am chronically dehydrated, but when I start to drink more, my body's sensitivity to thirst increases.

Perhaps this is the issue.  Time will tell.  It's an interesting thought.

I don't really like plain water too much, except for a glass with each meal or when I'm really hot, so I have to make a real effort to drink water throughout the day.

But what I found helps a lot since I don't like water much in the first place is to make lots of herbal iced tea.  I just keep it refrigerated, and I make myself drink at least three glasses of that a day, plus a glass of water with each meal.  And when I take a vitamin or something I always make myself drink a whole glass of water.

I actually like plain water, so that's not a problem.  I can't fathom drinking a whole glass at a time though, but spread out more, it should be do-able.

It's tough for me to take vitamins or pills with any sort of fluid.  I do better taking them with food (generally munching on some Brazil nuts or cashews first, then popping the pill in when I swallow).  If I try taking them with fluid, they get stuck in my throat too often.  I know... hubby tells me I'm weird too.  (sigh)

----------

I think I'm getting a decent start today.  I started with the tea, have already done a bottle of water, then had Korean Pho (soup) for lunch along with a bottle of Mexican orange soda (we ate at the local market on a "date") then added half a bottle of Mt Dew upon coming home.  Tallying that up, I have to be at the equivalent of 3 bottles, 1 1/2 or 2 to go in the next 5 hours or so (subbing grapes for some of it).  Getting up to 4 1/2 or 5 on a daily basis is going to take work, but hopefully once the habit is formed it will stay.

I actually like plain water, so that's not a problem.  I can't fathom drinking a whole glass at a time though, but spread out more, it should be do-able.

Same here, and I'm much better with wanting to drink if I put a slosh of kombucha in the water. I can't think of any good reason why, but it seems to happen.

I've kept a large pitcher next to my glass in a prominent place in the kitchen.  fill it in the morning, and drink from it all day.  (I hate ice water.)

or

40 oz water bottle, and make sure it gets refilled and finished off.  if it's sitting next to me, i'll just sip from it without thinking about it very much.

• Like 1

Bought these in a 2-pack at Costco. Dh loved it so much he had me buy another set so he could keep one at work and gave the other to oldest. His coworkers liked it so much, dh had me buy a set for them. Their wives liked it so much, the coworkers bought a set to split. We bought another set so the two littles can each have one. This thing keeps ice frozen even when I leave the cup in the car on a summer day. We'll go to bed and still have ice chunks in the morning. It's awesome. We're all drinking pretty much only water now. 

I keep trying to love these sorts of containers, but they all taste very metallic to me.  Do these?

This brings up a new question... what is a typical daily goal (knowing one has to add more if they're actively doing more)?  I can't say I've ever paid attention to how much is needed.  I've always been able to trust my body (sigh).

I don't think anyone knows. I am supposed to drink at least 8 ounces an hour but that is to prevent kidney stones.   Not everyone has the same need. 

• Like 1

A depressing possible side effect... my other health issues seem to be worse with adding more water/fluid to my day.  That could make an interesting dilemma for me to choose between.

I need to do more personal testing to be sure what I've seen so far is correct and not chance, but I don't like the preliminary findings, and I definitely wasn't expecting that to happen (quite the opposite) so I'm doubtful that it was due to expectations.  (sigh)

Hopefully it was just chance.