Menu

Do you think $250,000/year is wealthy?

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel no resentment towards people making $100,000., $200,000., $250.000. or more. They put in the time, effort, sweat. They earned it. I don't know that I would want the stress and hours it takes to make that kind of income (short of winning the lottery). But an income of $250,000. is still wealthy to me based on the fact I feel we live well on 1/5 of that. I can think someone is wealthy and not be jealous or feel bitter over it. It's America where opportunity should abound. I'm sad that I see opportunities eroding away. Just as my dh made a decision to not climb that corporate ladder, people should be free to climb away as hard as they want.

Janet

:iagree:

Lisa

Sorry, again, I don't see it. I get that the median income is 69K for anything over that is in the top 50%. I don't get how you can determine at what percent 250,000 would fall. That table doesn't provide any information on how the derive their 268K cut-off mark for top earners.

I get that 250,000 isn't middle class, but I don't think the information you linked is specific enough to figure out exactly where it falls in a reasonable percent.

What this conversation underscores, imo, is what Jenny mentioned below: We as a society often lose sight of what it truly means to be wealthy. We take a whole heckuvva lot for granted. If people truly believe that having all the basic necessities covered; plus being able to comfortably save and invest; plus enjoying the array of extras with which we surround ourselves ~ if people truly believe that isn't wealthy, well...I feel not envy for them, but pity.

So, if one doesn't agree with your definition of wealthy, they are pitiable?:confused:

I would say that what you descirbed as being "blessed" which I already noted that most of us are. My definition of "wealthy" is someone(s) who have all of the basic needs met, can save for the future, have lots of disposable income left over and never has a concern about money.

In my geographic area, virtually everyone is blessed but, again, I wouldn't call $250,000 "wealthy." It wouldn't get you the things that you or I mentioned. (In another area of the county, it certainly would be wealthy.)

Edited by CAMom

How much do houses cost in TN? I was watching a show on HGTV about this couple buying what looked like a mansion to me for $150,000. I've thought about moving to TX or the south where housing prices are really good. Are housing prices still that good? :)

yup! Move on down! There's a gorgeous house in convenient neighborhood, very stable, older (so lots of trees) right down the street. It's 5 bedroom about 2500 sqft for $180,000.

Move on in! I'd love some hsing neighbors!

yup! Move on down! There's a gorgeous house in convenient neighborhood, very stable, older (so lots of trees) right down the street. It's 5 bedroom about 2500 sqft for $180,000.

Move on in! I'd love some hsing neighbors!

That would be about $700K here. I was just looking at listings in my neighborhood to satisfy my curiosity after reading this thread.;)

What this conversation underscores, imo, is what Jenny mentioned below: We as a society often lose sight of what it truly means to be wealthy. We take a whole heckuvva lot for granted. If people truly believe that having all the basic necessities covered; plus being able to comfortably save and invest; plus enjoying the array of extras with which we surround ourselves ~ if people truly believe that isn't wealthy, well...I feel not envy for them, but pity.

By that definition then about 75% (or more) of our citizenry should be paying taxes to be redistributed around the world to poorer countries.

I am not denying that the US is a wealthy country. I have lived in a third world country and by my observations, there isn't a single person in this country that lives in poverty. This country has support networks and aid to offer the really destitute. Not like where daily I witnessed children going through dumpsters looking for food.

Ironically, I think my 14 yod has more insight than the vast majority of adults. She is studying ancient Rome. She came today with her books in hand and said, "Mom, republics never survive." She then said, "The section in my textbook today sounds like a current events lesson instead of a history lesson."

I would consider that loaded, rolling in it, quite well-to-do, dahling. That's coming from my perspective.

But if you asked someone in a 3rd world country if they thought my household income was wealthy, I am sure they would say, "most certainly." We're just middle class type folks, we shop at the goodwill and don't take vacations, not wealthy by any American standards at all, but it just depends on the perspective. It's all relative.

Ironically, I think my 14 yod has more insight than the vast majority of adults. She is studying ancient Rome. She came today with her books in hand and said, "Mom, republics never survive." She then said, "The section in my textbook today sounds like a current events lesson instead of a history lesson."

You're raised a very astute young lady. She's wise beyond her years. Hopefully she'll decide to run for public office someday in hopes that this republic will survive another generation.

That would be about $700K here. I was just looking at listings in my neighborhood to satisfy my curiosity after reading this thread.;)

I went and checked the listing for that house, it has been for sale for a while....it's been lowered to $135,000!!! That's unbelievable even for TX! I wish we knew if we were going to stay here after dh returns. I'd get the money together and buy that thing up quick!!!! WOW!

23,000 sq ft house? Either this is a typo or you live in a castle! :)

(Anyone want to estimate what size a mansion is? Friend recently moved into a 6000 sq ft home which I thought bordered on mansion size.)

Woops.

Gosh, if it were 23,000 square feet I would have no more personal space issues! I could have all the personal space I need and then some!!!

That's not the case all across TN (Kelli lives in the sticks, btw :)). We couldn't buy a house in a safe neighborhood for that price. For $250K, yes, but not $150.

:tongue_smilie:

I really don't think my fair city qualifies as living in the sticks, thank you very much. :D

But I do recognize that your housing prices are higher than ours.

What this conversation underscores, imo, is what Jenny mentioned below: We as a society often lose sight of what it truly means to be wealthy. We take a whole heckuva lot for granted. If people truly believe that having all the basic necessities covered; plus being able to comfortably save and invest; plus enjoying the array of extras with which we surround ourselves ~ if people truly believe that isn't wealthy, well...I feel not envy for them, but pity.

Wow! What a condescending egotistical remark. We are comparing this society not the whole world Colleen. I for one do not need nor want your pity and we do not make anything near 55,000 much less 250,000 and I still see 250,000 as the breaking edge of upper middle class.

What I truly believe wealth to be is not economic based but family based and spiritually based; as in a strong marriage, well grounded emotionally healthy kids, a vibrant faith full of hope and good health. Money can be lost in a second but family is here with or without money, faith lasts forever with or with out money and good health is a wonderful blessing that sometimes can not be bought for all the money in the world..... However this discussion was about economics not how blessed folks are. However based on my above description my family is extremely wealthy!

I wonder if you see anything good or if everything is grunge for you. Some times I think liberal progressive glasses must be very very dark, hopeless, angry, and certainly containing more mandatory self flagellation if you are a American than medieval Catholicism.......

It's funny, because although I don't live in one of the wealthiest parts of NJ, I would consider $250,000 firmly upper middle class. I grew up in (Ridgewood for anyone interested) NJ and my father was a cop, my mom a secretary and I thought we were middle class. If that was compared to $250,000 salary, then I guess we would have been lower middle class or poor by this standard (even though we lived in a nice neighborhood with nice cars, plenty of food, college for my brother and I) and that just doesn't seem right to me.

I think middle class is a spectrum. Both my dh and I come from working class families. His father was a fireman, his mom was a teacher. My dad was an architect by training, a furniture designer by choice. My mom was SAHM. I come from several generations of farmers and ranchers. He comes from several generations of cops/detectives/firemen.

The cost of living within NJ varies considerably. Obviously, the closer to NYC the more expensive it is. In our northern corner of NJ a starter home costs more than 500K. We pay over $18,000 per year in property taxes. So, $250,000 buys you; a comfortable 4 bedroom/2 bath home, one vacation per year, 2 good vehicles, some savings and investment for retirement.

While this may all equate to upper middle class, it doesn't make you wealthy.

What I truly believe wealth to be is not economic based but family based and spiritually based; as in a strong marriage, well grounded emotionally healthy kids, a vibrant faith full of hope and good health. Money can be lost in a second but family is here with or without money, faith lasts forever with or with out money and good health is a wonderful blessing that sometimes can not be bought for all the money in the world..... However this discussion was about economics not how blessed folks are. However based on my above description my family is extremely wealthy!

Mine, too. It's always good to keep a healthy perspective on things.

Janet

Do you mean 2,300? Here a house like that would probably go for $400,000+ and that's after our recent price drop. We make pretty good money but couldn't afford it. All the new developments have houses on .10-.16 of an acre. The lots are so tiny it's frightening. A good yard costs some money. If anything ever happened to this job we would hope to move to a state where the cost of living is much cheaper and we can buy a house for that price. You are blessed, Kelli.

Well, yes we are blessed. I always thought we were at the upper level of middle class until this thread. I now see that we have moved down a couple of classes!:lol: There is probably a life message in there for me about not getting too proud!

This is all there will ever be for us. Until there is less, which is unfortunately coming up pretty quick. My dh will be forced into retirement in 5 years and the pension is not even close to the current salary. And of course our retirement savings have been wiped out in the last couple of crazy weeks. But you know, we will be blessed then too. We'll have to make life changes, but we will still live well as I define living well.

Well, yes we are blessed. I always thought we were at the upper level of middle class until this thread. I now see that we have moved down a couple of classes!:lol: There is probably a life message in there for me about not getting too proud!

But, see, what's middle class in what area isn't in another. So, you are probably very middle class in your area whereas you might not be in mine.:)

You're middle class. It's just that sometimes income in different areas reflect different realities. My house costs way more than yours, but I don't have some of the great stuff I've seen in pics on your blog. Your house is nicer, too. :)

I live in California and I wouldn't consider that amount to be "wealthy." It's not uncommon for someone with an MBA or masters degree and 8-10 years of experience in an industry to be making over $100,000 a year in a metro area. In a two-income family you could easily get to $250,000. A family with this income in this area is doing well, yes. I would consider them to be upper middle class.

Good heavens! For someone to say that is middle class staggers the imagination. I suppose it could make a difference where one lives, but I live in a very expensive part of Ma and it is still pretty wealthy.

We make less than $40,000 a year right now and things are tight but we manage. We have never had car loans, always bought a used car with cash. Paid off student loans before we had kids, bought a house we could afford and have spent 9 years fixing it up.

We buy clothes on sale and at thrift shops, keep the heat at 63 no matter how stinking cold it gets and you know what? We are happy and blessed beyond blessings. But wow, I could manage really well with that sort of income, boy howdy!

Filthy rich? No. I live in a corner of the country where two incomes frequently do not add up to $40,000. So, yeah, the one family down the road who probably makes $250,000 (or more) is considered quite wealthy.

As far as the really rich, though, that is not wealthy--and I know that in some areas, housing and living expenses cost a lot more, so we are not comparing apples to oranges. However, if my family were bringing anything near that amount, we could retire in a few short years on our savings! I consider our Internet, TV, and vet bills for cats to be an afluent lifestyle that we probably shouldn't have. Landscaping around the house, household repairs, and new almost-anything is just outside the budget.

But, being married to a Simmental beef farmer, steak could be on the menu most Sundays if we wanted it to be :). And the countryside is gorgeous!

"You can be rich because you have a lot of money or because you have few needs."

Jean

Edited by Jean in Wisc

Good heavens! For someone to say that is middle class staggers the imagination. I suppose it could make a difference where one lives, but I live in a very expensive part of Ma and it is still pretty wealthy.

We make less than $40,000 a year right now and things are tight but we manage. We have never had car loans, always bought a used car with cash. Paid off student loans before we had kids, bought a house we could afford and have spent 9 years fixing it up.

We buy clothes on sale and at thrift shops, keep the heat at 63 no matter how stinking cold it gets and you know what? We are happy and blessed beyond blessings. But wow, I could manage really well with that sort of income, boy howdy!

I love the Cape! I had childhood friends who lived year-round in Chatham, they were always struggling to make ends meet and this was the 70's. You all put me to shame doing surviving on 40k on the Cape, which is indeed a very expensive place to live. You have given me hope and dh and I will in fact pull out of this slump ok. Thanks!

Yes, it depends on who you are compared with but I'd venture that even someone who is upper middle class, here in the richest nation in the world (I'm guessing), would consider $250,000 wealthy. I have family members (entire families) who live on a tiny fraction of that. Very tiny.

But, see, what's middle class in what area isn't in another. So, you are probably very middle class in your area whereas you might not be in mine.:)

I think it depends on how you measure middle class. I measure not in what you can buy, but how much money you make against salaries in the rest of the nation. Exhibit A's 80K would not buy as much in California as Exhibit B's 250K but Exhibit A could still buy more than Exhibit C who is making 30K. Move all three to Tennessee and Exhibit A still can't buy as much as Exhibit B but can buy more than Exhibit C and now all three of them have more buying power than they did back in California. But the same person is still on top and the same person is still in the middle and the same person is still at the bottom. It is just the bottom line for all them shifts according to locale.

You're unbelievably rude sometimes.

Look, I truly feel sorry for people who don't realize two hundred and fifty grand is a wealth of money. Those are my feelings. I can't change them, nor do I see reason to. If it personally offends you, so be it. A lot of the assumptions people have made in this thread, the lifestyle people take for granted, offends me.

I wonder if you see anything good or if everything is grunge for you. Some times I think liberal progressive glasses must be very very dark, hopeless, angry, and certainly containing more mandatory self flagellation if you are a American than medieval Catholicism.......

So I'm a liberal progressive, eh? Good golly, how on earth am I going to align my so-called conservative views with that label?:tongue_smilie:

Look, I truly feel sorry for people who don't realize two hundred and fifty grand is a wealth of money. Those are my feelings. I can't change them, nor do I see reason to. If it personally offends you, so be it. A lot of the assumptions people have made in this thread, the lifestyle people take for granted, offends me.

Did someone here take a lifestyle for granted? I'm wondering if I'm reading too much into you, Colleen, but you're coming across very angrily to me.:confused:

I don't take my lifestyle for granted. I don't make $250K year but do make an amount already classified as above the middle class in this thread. I know it's from the Lord and my dh and I hold it loosely. I don't take it for granted. The Lord could take it all from us in an instant.

I don't understand the hostility or the constant denial that $250K is relative depending on where one lives.:confused:

Really? I consider anything over $125K "wealthy". Middle class to me is 40-80K, upper middle class 80-125K.

It doesn't matter where you live, the cost of living is all relative, and each one of us has a choice to reside where we do.

:iagree:

I look at it this way. I don't know a *single* person or family that makes $250,000 or more. That included the head of my department at a major financial firm. If it were common and not wealthy, I would think I would know at least one person that makes that amount. As far as geography goes, we all have choices when it come to where we live. We just had to make a choice to leave Florida because of the cost to live there.

Did someone here take a lifestyle for granted?

Yes, in my opinion, a lot of people have done so. (Note the emphasis.)

I don't understand the hostility

Nope, not hostile or angry, just kinda sad. You don't get that, and that's okay. The only hostility I've noted in this thread comes from people who are earning more and seem defensive ~ they apparently don't like the notion of being classified as "wealthy".

Edited by Colleen

Did someone here take a lifestyle for granted? I'm wondering if I'm reading too much into you, Colleen, but you're coming across very angrily to me.:confused:

I don't take my lifestyle for granted. I don't make $250K year but do make an amount already classified as above the middle class in this thread. I know it's from the Lord and my dh and I hold it loosely. I don't take it for granted. The Lord could take it all from us in an instant.

I don't understand the hostility or the constant denial that $250K is relative depending on where one lives.:confused:

I agree, 250k is relative to where you live, but the areas that are more expensive are so because more people want to live there (NYC, SF, LA, CH, etc). The services, arts, schools, almost everything is better than say South GA. Even if you took 50% and left one with 125k, they still would be doing better than most, have many more options and avenues. I can't speak for Colleen, but I'm not angry.. just stating an opinion, that I personally would rather make 250k and pay more taxes and live in say... Seattle than make 80k and live in Atl. It's all about location.

Yes, in my opinion, a lot of people have done so. (Note the emphasis.)

Interesting. Yes, you're absolutely entitled to your opinion. I'm curious to know what types of statements have led to that opinion. I read every post and didn't come away with that but I could have missed something.

Nope, not hostile or angry, just kinda sad. You don't get that, and that's okay. The only hostility I've noted in this thread comes from people who are earning more and seem to defensive ~ they apparently don't like the notion of being classified as "wealthy".

I know, for me, I'm not defensive. The problem is that the most probable new President considers that level of income "wealthy" across the board without consideration to indivdual circumstances.

For those living in a high cost of living area, with a large family, helping to take care of an elderly relative or two (assisted living or nursing care is not cheap), etc. it's not the same amount of money as for other people.

There are just too many variables to classify wealthy at that threshold.

BTW, I'm sorry for reading too much into you.:grouphug:

Yes.

Even if you:

Pay 35% in taxes on the TOTAL amount (FICA, Fed, and State) - $89,375 (Standard deduction, family of 4, self-employed as sole prop, student loan interest deduction and self-employed health insurance deduction. It would probably be a lot lower than this using allowable deductions, tax sheltering business structure, etc.)

Pay $1800 a month in student loans ($150,000 over 10 years) - $21,600

Pay $2500 a month for health insurance - $30,000

You still "net" $109,000 which is WAY more than we make and more than enough to live on - I don't care where you live in the U.S.!

Wow! I loved this! Thanks for doing the figures!

people who are earning more and seem to defensive ~ they apparently don't like the notion of being classified as "wealthy".

I just want to say that if the federal government would like to raise my husband's salary to $250K I promise to refer to myself as wealthy. Now quick, everyone go write to your congressmen and tell them to raise federal pay...go on, tell them to triple it. :D

You're unbelievably rude sometimes.

I think Colleen is being misunderstood here. She can correct me if I am wrong, but I understood her point to be... if someone can pay for all their basic needs, put aside money for savings and investments, have lots of extras... and still feel discontented with that amount of money, that is sad. And if so, I agree with that point. I would not envy a person who had all of that, and yet felt that they were still lacking-- I would feel sorry for them, that they had so much and didn't realize it.

Now, there also seems to be an underlying tone here about taxes, and redistribution of wealth, but I don't *think* that's what Colleen was alluding to in her posts. Personally, I think $250,000 is wealthy, but I don't think that makes someone earning that responsible to give it away. I don't agree with taxing wealthier people more heavily. Saying that a person is wealthy doesn't have to imply that the government should take it away.

Erica

I don't think Colleen meant to be rude with the "pity" remark.

There is an old school of thought that "pitied" people that didn't start at the very (VERY) bottom and had nothing to their name (especially if they had to provide for a family at the same time) and work their way up from there...because most that haven't been there, cannot truly appreciate what they have in the same sense that someone who has been there does. That kind of understanding and experience is believed to build character in many people. This is how it was relayed to me from my grandparents (raised during the depression) and great grandparents (had to make it through the depression)...and apparently this line of thinking is way older than they are/were.

Just some insight. Again, for those that are able to earn this kind of living, invest, save, etc...please see yourselves as blessed. Much of America strives for just a portion of what you have. And much of what you see as "regular" or "responsible" items to have are luxuries for many other people.

I do agree that there are certain places in the US where this is simply middle to upper middle class and that the monies may be going to worthwhile things. But those places are few.

I think Colleen is being misunderstood here. She can correct me if I am wrong, but I understood her point to be... if someone can pay for all their basic needs, put aside money for savings and investments, have lots of extras... and still feel discontented with that amount of money, that is sad. And if so, I agree with that point. I would not envy a person who had all of that, and yet felt that they were still lacking-- I would feel sorry for them, that they had so much and didn't realize it.

I think what needs to be realized is that not everyone who makes $250K has all of that.

Just some insight. Again, for those that are able to earn this kind of living, invest, save, etc...please see yourselves as blessed. Much of America strives for just a portion of what you have. And much of what you see as "regular" or "responsible" items to have are luxuries for many other people.

As another member of "the dark side," I am more than keenly aware of how blessed I am to be considered above the "middle class." I'm content with my current status and I will be content if the Lord takes it all away. I was content when my dh and I lived on less than $30K.

I do agree that there are certain places in the US where this is simply middle to upper middle class and that the monies may be going to worthwhile things. But those places are few.

I think that's all that has been said throughout this thread.

I just want to say that if the federal government would like to raise my husband's salary to $250K I promise to refer to myself as wealthy. Now quick, everyone go write to your congressmen and tell them to raise federal pay...go on, tell them to triple it. :D

Kelli...

All the congressmen would hear is "Triple Congress' pay and tax middle class more to do so!":willy_nilly:

Haven't read the other responses, but I consider it very wealthy. And they shouldn't have student loans, I think they are very avoidable for any income level.
Can you elaborate on that? I have a son heading to college (possibly) next year. I'd like to do it without loans if you can share the info.!!!