Menu

Do you think $250,000/year is wealthy?

I was talking to a friend today and she made a comment about $250,000/year being wealthy. I disagreed. Not when you take into account the student loans someone making that much probably has and health insurance costs. My friend only pays $40/month for health care so she agreed that she has no idea what it is like for the average American who has to pay for their own hc.

What do you think? Is $250,000 for a family wealthy or firmly middle-class?

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the top 2% here in America. I think it is wealthy, but I do see your point about the cost of living. I also think it is not as much money in a big city like New York or LA. It would be harder to live well on that amount in those areas depending on your housing situation.

Depends on what you mean by wealthy. Income? Net worth?

Someone with high income can have low net worth based on student loans, medical expenses, housing expenses in some regions, etc.

In terms of income, 1.5% of American households have income of $250,000 or above (source). So that level of income is certainly in the upper end of the distribution.

Depends on what you mean by wealthy. Income? Net worth?

Someone with high income can have low net worth based on student loans, medical expenses, housing expenses in some regions, etc.

In terms of income, 1.5% of American households have income of $250,000 or above (source). So that level of income is certainly in the upper end of the distribution.

This is very true, and I'd add that folks with high income can also have low net worth because they "grow into" that income level, gift themselves regularly, and come to see the luxuries they've grown accustomed to having as necessities. But then that's a danger we all face, and it's part of what got us into the mess we're in now (in my opinion).

In my area it would not be wealthy. It would be very comfortable. Homes here cost on average $300,000. The cost of living is pretty high in my area, too. I think with $250,000 I would feel better about saving for retirement and putting my kids through college.

In NJ it is not wealthy.

That's what I was thinking, so much depends on location. Where you can buy a nice house for under $150K, then it would be pretty wealthy. Where it's hard to find a nice house for under $350K or more, then it's not so wealthy.

I think it also depends on whether you get the income as a paycheck or whether it's your own small business.

I was talking to a friend today and she made a comment about $250,000/year being wealthy. I disagreed. Not when you take into account the student loans someone making that much probably has and health insurance costs. My friend only pays $40/month for health care so she agreed that she has no idea what it is like for the average American who has to pay for their own hc.

I'm a little confused about the cost of student loans and health insurance costs. I don't think you can necessarily say someone who makes $250,000. + has higher student loans than someone who makes less. Much of that depends on the field they went into and where they live. Also, I'm not aware of health insurance premiums being based on income.

Where I live, $250,000. is wealthy. Very wealthy, in fact. However, we make 1/5 that amount, and I don't consider us poor by any means.

Janet

Yes.

Even if you:

Pay 35% in taxes on the TOTAL amount (FICA, Fed, and State) - $89,375 (Standard deduction, family of 4, self-employed as sole prop, student loan interest deduction and self-employed health insurance deduction. It would probably be a lot lower than this using allowable deductions, tax sheltering business structure, etc.)

Pay $1800 a month in student loans ($150,000 over 10 years) - $21,600

Pay $2500 a month for health insurance - $30,000

You still "net" $109,000 which is WAY more than we make and more than enough to live on - I don't care where you live in the U.S.!

Yes.

Even if you:

Pay 35% in taxes on the TOTAL amount (FICA, Fed, and State) - $89,375 (Standard deduction, family of 4, self-employed as sole prop, student loan interest deduction and self-employed health insurance deduction. It would probably be a lot lower than this using allowable deductions, tax sheltering business structure, etc.)

You still "net" $109,000 which is WAY more than we make and more than enough to live on - I don't care where you live in the U.S.!

Yes, that's what I was thinking.:)

I absolutely think it's at least low to moderately wealthy.

Kind of like being lower to middle middle class I suppose, only up in the next class bracket?

I think it depends on where you live. My husband's family live in the San Fran area and it is not wealthy there. Here in the far Chicago burbs area it would be upper middle class maybe... In Lincoln park area in Chicago I don't think you would be considered wealthy at all.

Yes. But I also think that almost every one of us living in this country is wealthy by global standards. Even the poorest in this country have enough food to prevent starvation, clean water, clothing, and shelter. Not so for a large percentage of the population of the rest of the world. We are all extremely blessed!

Kris

PS- I don't think health insurance premiums correlate with income. Our self-employment income is a small fraction of 250k and we pay through our noses for insurance.

Yes.

Even if you:

Yep, way more than what we make . . .I would consider $250,000 wealthy. Dh doesn't make near the $109,000 figure above and although we are still paying on student loans and have to pay our own health insurance, I still feel we are very blessed.

Too much depends on where you live. Here in the Bay Area small homes (like mine, 1200 sq ft) run about $650K. We make considerably less than $250K (a fraction) and we consider ourselves to be middle class, but feeling the pinch.

As for people who are in blue collar jobs being poor in this area? Think about this: to qualify for a habitat for humanity home you must make less that 50% of the median income for your area. Two homes were recently built here and they went to a manager of the produce dept of a grocery store, and to a teacher.

Of course I understand that we choose where we live, but DH's job doesn't really exist anywhere else and both of us are natives & love it here.

We know plenty of people who make $250K or close to it & they are not wealthy. If you have two high-tech careers it is not difficult to do. Most of them go about their business, paying taxes and contributing to charities. Some of them are running businesses; providing jobs, paying for health care for themselves and their employees.

It all depends on where you live if $250K is wealthy.

Amber in SJ

I would consider it wealthy, but I tend to define wealth from more of a global perspective. Regardless of where one lives in the US, most people making $250k will own a home (even if it's not their dream home), eat 3 square meals a day, own one or several cars, have decent clothes to wear, have access to medical care, own at least one computer, have cell phones and cable tv, etc. Even if they are broke by the end of every month, they will have all their basic needs met and most likely a little extra (or a lot extra, depending on where they live).

I used to know someone whose husband was making $350,000-$450,000 a year and she thought she was living in poverty. Seriously. It all depends on your perspective.

Edited by LizzyBee
correct a whopping grammar error

We currently have just over $24K/year of income. It covers our mortgage (2BR 2B full basement condo), car payment, food, utilities, insurances. Health insurance is covered. We pay a little each year (outside of scholarships and financial aid) for the kids' private school and college education.

When I'm employed, we'll just barely over double this for a few years, based on job availability and pay for a new grad here in E. Tn.

So yeah, for me, I can't even imagine that kind of money in a year. I don't see it as middle class. I think it's probably about perspective, though.

Really? I consider anything over $125K "wealthy". Middle class to me is 40-80K, upper middle class 80-125K.

It doesn't matter where you live, the cost of living is all relative, and each one of us has a choice to reside where we do.

It does matter where you live when an 1100sf house cost over $300,000 (and i'm talking one of the last cheap areas on the Central Coast of CA) And often, a person can't just up and move.

It very MUCH does relate to where one lives.

Wealthy means very affluent, rich. Maybe in the land where houses are under well under $300,000, health insurance isn't $14,000 a year and property taxes aren't $10,000 a year it's rich.

:iagree:

So there are some DESPERATELY poor people in those areas because I imagine that retail clerks, food service workers, etc. don't make anywhere near even a quarter of that?

Pay scales vary by location.

What i made at Best Buy in CA on that scale, can't be TOUCHED here for the same position (i asked, they want me to go back to work for them here). It would be about $4-5/hour LESS.

Absolutely!

A family health insurance plan is somewhere around $1200/year.

The median debt for a medical student is more than $120,000 after medical school. (http://www.medical-school-reviews.net/cost-of-medical-school.html), which is considered among the most expensive of degrees.

So, if you consider 250,000-121,200=$128,800, you could pay off your entire student loan debt in one year, while carrying family health insurance, and still be very well off.

Yes, an annual $250,000 income is wealthy.

Doing well yes, wealthy off.. no.

I'm in the heart of the OC. I am not far from where Rick Warren held the infamous talking the prez hopefulls. In this area 650-750K for a house is on the high side of normal.

:iagree: I'm in OC, too. 250K is definitely doing very well but is not wealthy here. I do realize, though, that in some places, it's stinkin' rich!

We have considered moving to a lower cost of living area but we do not have that liberty right now. I am the caregiver for my 87 year old grandmother. There is no way I could leave her and she would not be capable of moving. I also have my dad and stepmother close by here (within a few miles). My dad has Alzheimer's and my stepmom has lung cancer. I'm the only one local of the siblings so there's no way I could leave them.

So, "wealthy" depends on the area in which you live and not everyone can choose where they live.:)

I tell you what, I volunteer my family to do an experiment. If someone wants to put up the 250K for the next year I'll gauge whether I think it is truly wealthy or not. I promise to report back in twelve months. :D:D

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

No, no. You have to have MULTIPLE families in various parts of the country try it.

I volunteer for NC!