Menu

I can't help asking how you feel about tacos

Amira

I have never met a taco I didn't love. We eat tacos at LEAST twice/week. I love tacos with soft corn shells, stuffed with beef and fixins, shredded chicken and fixins, pork and fixins, or blackened fish, avocado and cilantro slaw. I also like the taco Tuesday joints around here where they put all kinds of goodies in like ahi tuna, bbq shrimp, duck, fried oysters and stuff like that.

At home our fixins would be cheese, shredded lettuce, salsa, cilantro, avocado or guac, pico de gallo if I have some on hand, and maybe some fresh jalapeĂƒÂ±o.

Cilantro slaw sounds amazing. Recipe please! :)

• Like 3

Yes, esp. with a quarter to a half cup cilantro per taco and drowning in fresh lime juice. ;) And never store bought crunchy tacos. Ew! I also like my meat moist like at good taco shops. Not very many food trucks were I live though.

This Chipotle paste is my new taco addition and addiction: https://www.amazon.com/Olos-Chipotle-Paste-4-oz/dp/B0097UW3EK

Totally deserving of the five star rating, and I found it at Safeway. So good!

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

What I don't like is the idea that seems to be running through several posts in this thread, that it's not really good enough, that it's fake or mock if it's not "Authentic" Mexican.  I don't know why being "authentic" matters....as Andrew Zimmerman says...if it looks good, eat it.

Yeah. So you can have Authentic Mexican, Tex-Mex and Everybody Fusion Mexican. There will be MINUS ONE tasty things category if Authentic Mexican cannot be found. I can't imagine how anyone would not find that tragic. I mean, I find happiness in the fact that out there people can be found who want to eat fermented whale blubber, even though I don't want it to be me. If they did not exist, I would not be able to read books about them and see scary pictures on social media. My world would be a poorer place. And in case you think this is a phenomenon restricted to me, I know Amira's heart weeps because I think tahini tastes like wall paper paste.

I am pro taco. 

We make them every week here and mix up the fillings. We eat mostly vegetarian so ours are usually stuffed with veggies and beans. 

My favorite restaurant tacos have roasted veggies, pico,lots of cilantro and queso fresco. mmmmmm

I also used to love the "blazin' red fish" taco at a restaurant in my hometown. Delicious grilled fish topped with a veggie slaw and avocado. Yum!

• Like 1

Rosie, I'm betting that if you ever had the chance to taste Amira's own tahini, you'd find it delicious.

Or in any event you'd say you did.

I wouldn't. 

She'd enjoy the challenge.  :tongue_smilie:

And because she's a better travelled and a better cook than I am, we'd have a lovely time together anyway.

I think my point is that....."authentic" doesn't automatically mean it TASTES better.  If someone loves sushi burritos...go for it!  If it tastes good to you, how "authentic" it is doesn't really matter.  Taste buds don't really know the difference between "authentic" or "fusion" or "Americanized" or whatever. 

No, but brains do. Some people enjoy the discipline of a food culture.

I never had a taco until college.  We didn't have them in Japan.  (They are probably there now.  But not when I grew up there.)

I like them.  I like tacos al pastor best. 

I do not make tacos at home.  Dd is allergic to chili peppers (actually all peppers) and tomatoes.  She is not Mexican food friendly. 

Ds LOVES Mexican food and if dd is busy, he will request going out for Mexican food. 

• Like 1

I think my point is that....."authentic" doesn't automatically mean it TASTES better. 

My personal experience with the cuisines I could experience in their natural habitat as well as in their Americanized version is that the authentic food tasted better every single time.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but... while I do love tacos I ADORE nachos.  It is my favorite food in the world.  I will eat them until I feel sick.  I love to nibble and eat bit of things, so nachos suit my favorite way to eat.

Even though this is a NE state we have a cali-mex taqueria in town. It's good, much better than the heavy traditional mexican american places. They have one taco that is so good. It uses local tofu, guacamole and a tart coleslaw in a soft taco.  It is SO good, but you can eat about 50 of them, lol.  I am not a fan of cold plain tofu, but it works in that. 

and I never make tacos at home. I am more likely to make sushi than tacos, which I now think is weird. Why don't I make tacos?

• Like 3

re limits of "authenticity"

I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but... while I do love tacos I ADORE nachos.  It is my favorite food in the world.  I will eat them until I feel sick.  I love to nibble and eat bit of things, so nachos suit my favorite way to eat.

Right, and... do nachos even exist, in any form at all, in Mexico?  Or are they a strictly non-authentic Ameri-Mex thing?  'Cuz I'm with you, if loving them are bad I don't wanna be good...

• Like 1

My husband is of Mexican descent and has never heard of some of the kinds of tacos mentioned in this thread. I suspect that poverty may have something to do with that. They didn't eat much meat, and if they did, it was probably stewed and shredded. They certainly didn't have the wide variety of toppings mentioned. Refried beans, tomatoes, onions, and guacamole were fairly common.

• Like 1

I like soft tacos with just about anything BUT ground beef in them.  I think this is because of church. honestly.  Tacos are a cheap, feed-a-crowd meal that is ALWAYS made.  I've been sick of them for years.  LOL  But soft tacos/burritos with chicken or pork or steak or just rice, beans and veggies I will take any day!  I'm not a fan of corn tortillas/shells, though.  Blech.

• Like 1

I completely agree that Tex-Mex and Americanized Mexican is short on vegetables, which is sad since Mexico has so many great vegetables. Cal-Mex is a little better. Combo plates with beans, rice, and an entree just don't cut it.

If you ever get a chance to try some regional Mexican cooking in the US, I hope you're pleasantly surprised. Yucatecan food in particular is really unique and delicious.

Coastal Mexico includes lots of seafood, too. Yum!

I like tacos - especially like that everyone in the family can build theirs to their own liking - but I prefer other Mexican dishes.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 2

I grew up on tacos, my Mom always fried her own shells and made them with ground beef. We ate them literally almost every week growing up and I can't stand ground beef tacos now. I also grew up going to Baja and eating fish tacos in Ensenada as well as various real tacos at stands in little towns we went to. My favorite are al pastor.

We have a couple places around that make authentic tacos but for the high Hispanic population here you'd think we would have more! A lot of my friends are Mexican though and make a mean taco, thankfully! And tortas! [emoji7] How I love a delicious torta!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Few veggies in Mexican food? That can be worked around Ă°Å¸ËœÅ . We top our tacos with tomatoes, lettuce, green onions, cilantro, avocados. Tacos don't need to be only meat, can also do chicken. We also have other Mexican dishes, veggies as a side

We put tons of veggies in our tacos too. I love the added  texture of shredded cabbage in a taco, especially a fish taco. We love everything else you mentioned on a taco too.  Plus pico or salsa or jalapenos.

• Like 2

We put tons of veggies in our tacos too. I love the added texture of shredded cabbage in a taco, especially a fish taco. We love everything else you mentioned on a taco too. Plus pico or salsa or jalapenos.

Shredded cabbage tossed in Rick Bayless' cilantro-line dressing, rolled up with carnitas in a flour tortilla - delicious!

• Like 2

We put tons of veggies in our tacos too. I love the added texture of shredded cabbage in a taco, especially a fish taco. We love everything else you mentioned on a taco too. Plus pico or salsa or jalapenos.

Yes, cabbage!! With carne asada?? Yum!! Now I want some tacos Ă°Å¸ËœÅ 
  • Like 3

I ran out of likes last night and they're still not back, but you all have restored my faith in the US. Thank you.

My thing about authenticity is that the meaning of food words often changes when they get adopted and adapted by other cultures. "Taco" means something really different to most Americans than it does to most Mexicans. That didn't matter much when there weren't many Mexican tacos widely available in the US, but that has changed. Since it is a Mexican food, I think "taco" should mean what it always has in Mexico instead of a looser meaning of some sort of flatbread wrapped around something else. So that's why we call American hard-shelled tacos "macos." It's just to distinguish between them. I'm good with a different name, or calling them American tacos.

FWIW, my oldest ds requested American tacos whenever he was in the US while we lived in Mexico. I think the new or fusion version can be just as good or better than the authentic one (although I nearly always prefer the authentic version). I just don't want to use the same name for all of them because it's confusing.

I have the same issue with hummus. "Hummus" means something very specific in the Middle East and the more generic definition of "bean dip" that it has acquired in the US covers up what it really is. And naan and pita. Don't even get me started on those.

Actually, I've seriously considered getting a masters degree in food history to explore how different foods travel and are adapted and adopted and renamed (or not) in different places. It is one of the most fascinating things ever to me. This has been going on for a very long time, but the world has changed so much recently that it happens more quickly now and there are more versions available in one place.

And no one ever has to eat anything at my house. I'm the only one who likes everything I make. Even my tahini. :)

• Like 7

Rosie, I'm betting that if you ever had the chance to taste Amira's own tahini, you'd find it delicious.

Or in any event you'd say you did.

Another vote for the #TacoTrucksInEveryCorner platform. OlĂƒÂ©!

I just wouldn't make tahini for Rosie because there are so many other good things to eat.

Also, I want the tahini. I may not make anyone eat anything at my house, but sometimes there is a rule that if you don't love it, maybe you should find something else to eat. Dh is exasperated with this rule. ;)

Edited by Amira
  • Like 1

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does that mean?

I'm talking about systems and stories. A taco can be a tasty thing, a boringly untasty thing, a thing you eat because you are hungry or bored, or a food that is part of a whole cultural system and isn't context exciting? History, agriculture, climate, food security, my grandma's is better than your grandma's, woe is us because these skills are being lost and young people these days...

Authentic cuisine tells us a different story about humanity than fusion cuisine tells us, and the stories fusion cuisine tell, which are cool, aren't as cool if you don't know the originals. "That's cool" is great. But with context you can say "Ha! I see what you did there!" which is another level of greatness.

I can read a lot into a taco. :rofl:

And I can even paraphrase people who do not look at the world this way. Aubrey would tell me that she would rather paint a picture of a taco than bother to eat it. :lol:

Actually, I've seriously considered getting a masters degree in food history to explore how different foods travel and are adapted and adopted and renamed (or not) in different places. It is one of the most fascinating things ever to me. This has been going on for a very long time, but the world has changed so much recently that it happens more quickly now and there are more versions available in one place.

Food history is like one of the sexiest things ever.  :001_tt1:

Btw, if you meet any attractive Australian food historians who love to cook, do mention my name. ;)

I'm talking about systems and stories. A taco can be a tasty thing, a boringly untasty thing, a thing you eat because you are hungry or bored, or a food that is part of a whole cultural system and isn't context exciting? History, agriculture, climate, food security, my grandma's is better than your grandma's, woe is us because these skills are being lost and young people these days...

Authentic cuisine tells us a different story about humanity than fusion cuisine tells us, and the stories fusion cuisine tell, which are cool, aren't as cool if you don't know the originals. "That's cool" is great. But with context you can say "Ha! I see what you did there!" which is another level of greatness.

I can read a lot into a taco. :rofl:

And I can even paraphrase people who do not look at the world this way. Aubrey would tell me that she would rather paint a picture of a taco than bother to eat it. :lol:

Yes! I want all the stories. Even if my corundas aren't "authentic" because I can't get fresh corn leaves, I know their original story and that makes my misshapen corundas taste better to me. I don't try to make it all authentic, but I do want to know the stories.

One of my very favorite things about living in so many different places is hearing the stories about the food and creating my own. Asking the vendors at the bazaar how they cook chinsay and Napa cabbage hearts and trying their way myself, then tweaking it a bit to fit my family. Tasting as many different types of Yucatecan tamales as possible. Figuring out how to make something like fresh cranberry salad for Thanksgiving, except there are no cranberries so I use pomegranates. Finding ways to make Kyrgyz food in Mexico and Filipino food in Saudi Arabia.

I'll be on the lookout for the right kind of Australian if I ever get into that line of study. (Still mourning the fact that I can't like your posts).

• Like 2

Yeah. So you can have Authentic Mexican, Tex-Mex and Everybody Fusion Mexican. There will be MINUS ONE tasty things category if Authentic Mexican cannot be found. I can't imagine how anyone would not find that tragic. I mean, I find happiness in the fact that out there people can be found who want to eat fermented whale blubber, even though I don't want it to be me. If they did not exist, I would not be able to read books about them and see scary pictures on social media. My world would be a poorer place. And in case you think this is a phenomenon restricted to me, I know Amira's heart weeps because I think tahini tastes like wall paper paste.

I'm not a fan of tahini either, although I'll say that it depends on how it's prepared as to how much I dislike it.

Usually, we do a think where you beat the tahini paste until it separates (oil comes out)....and then you add in cold water and beat it until white/frothy.  DH did this by hand.  Me? I use either an immersion blender or food processor.  Also added in are garlic, flat leaf parsley, lemon, salt, pepper, sometimes a little cumin or paprika....sometimes some plain Greek yogurt. 

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of tahini either, although I'll say that it depends on how it's prepared as to how much I dislike it.

Usually, we do a think where you beat the tahini paste until it separates (oil comes out)....and then you add in cold water and beat it until white/frothy. DH did this by hand. Me? I use either an immersion blender or food processor. Also added in are garlic, flat leaf parsley, lemon, salt, pepper, sometimes a little cumin or paprika....sometimes some plain Greek yogurt.

I love tahini prepared this way, but I never thought of using an immersion blender. Thanks!

I know lots of people who don't like tahini. It really isn't for everyone, but it is for me. I'll let other people eat the olives and dates, thank you very much.

• Like 1

I despised tacos growing up!  I grew up in the 60's in a strongly Latino community, so we had them about once/week.  Sadly, I didn't like my mother's hard shell Americanized version.  She would stop by Kentucky Fried Chicken on those nights and get me mashed potatoes and gravy since she knew I wouldn't eat the tacos! 

It wasn't until I grew up and ate more authentic soft-shelled tacos (and also the ones at Chipotle!  Yum!) that I realized I loved them!

But I have never once made them myself.

• Like 1

I actually think that learning about the history of various foods is really kind of interesting and can be fun.  But I think insisting that change never happen is a bit....stifling?  Boring?  Not sure what I mean.  Culture changes...language, food, traditions etc etc.  That's how it works.  And in terms of food...if it tastes good, eat it :-)

I don't think anybody disagrees. Of course foods change.

I cannot make my family's traditional Christmas salad here in the US because there I cannot procure pickled celery root, so I have substituted chopped up green celery stalks. It still tastes good, but has a different texture. The change itself tells a story of immigration of part of the family. nothing wrong with that. Similar with bread.

But I strongly dislike it when people label a dish by its traditional name (which means something very specific) but have prepared something different. If you want to call your dish a "Viennese schnitzel", it should actually be one, i.e. a  breaded veal cutlet. Otherwise, call it by a different name. 

A pumpernickel is a specific dark rye bread baked for a very long time which makes it acquire a dark color. Putting food coloring and molasses into a wheat bread does not make it a "pumpernickel" - but it surely does support the experience that knock-offs do not taste as good as the original, because if I expect pumpernickel, this poor substitute is awfully disappointing. If anybody likes this stuff, call it something else.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 8

I cannot make my family's traditional Christmas salad here in the US because there I cannot procure pickled celery root,

Pickled celeriac? I need to know about this.  :bigear:

I think the season has just finished though. Last time I was at the shop there was one lonely one left on the shelf. I picked it up, decided I had nothing particular to do with it, and put it back. You know, every time* I do that, someone tells a reason to have bought it within days.

*Confirmation bias, I know.  :tongue_smilie:

Even though this is a NE state we have a cali-mex taqueria in town. It's good, much better than the heavy traditional mexican american places. They have one taco that is so good. It uses local tofu, guacamole and a tart coleslaw in a soft taco.  It is SO good, but you can eat about 50 of them, lol.  I am not a fan of cold plain tofu, but it works in that. 

and I never make tacos at home. I am more likely to make sushi than tacos, which I now think is weird. Why don't I make tacos?

I rarely make them at home either. But, now I want to because of this thread. And because, unlike some of you, there are no taco trucks in my area. Which is sad and unfair, because I would totally buy some today.

• Like 1

Pickled celeriac? I need to know about this.  :bigear:

I think the season has just finished though. Last time I was at the shop there was one lonely one left on the shelf. I picked it up, decided I had nothing particular to do with it, and put it back. You know, every time* I do that, someone tells a reason to have bought it within days.

Yep, pickled celeriac.

I could, of course, try to find the root which they sometimes have in one store in town during the winter months, and do it myself:

Cut it in slices, boil in a water/vinegar mix until soft, put in a crock and let it sit for a few weeks. That means I have to think ahead (and find the root)

Back home, I'd go to the store and just buy a jar of already pickled ones...

The best thing to do with celeriac root is cook and puree, similar to mashed potatoes. DD did that for Thanksgiving one year, and it became one of our favorites. very satisfying, with rich earthy flavors.

• Like 3

We eat tacos nearly every week, and DD eats them nearly every morning for breakfast.  Only occassionally are they hard shell.  Almost always soft shell, sometimes with flour tortillas (NOT the ones from a grocery store) or corn tortillas.  Tons of stuff you can stuff into a taco.  But then we live in an area where there are a LOT of taco options and many people here make them at home.  LOVE homemade tortillas and the tortillas that taste homemade at the local Mom and Pop places here.  Sadly, no taco trucks.  We have taco filling stations.  Does that count?

(In fact, yesterday I had fajitas and guacamole on a soft tortilla and it was YUM).

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2

Yep, pickled celeriac.

I could, of course, try to find the root which they sometimes have in one store in town during the winter months, and do it myself:

Cut it in slices, boil in a water/vinegar mix until soft, put in a crock and let it sit for a few weeks. That means I have to think ahead (and find the root)

Back home, I'd go to the store and just buy a jar of already pickled ones...

The best thing to do with celeriac root is cook and puree, similar to mashed potatoes. DD did that for Thanksgiving one year, and it became one of our favorites. very satisfying, with rich earthy flavors.

I like it in a clear soup with a bit of brown rice or barley. Surprisingly, it seems not to be improved by roasting. Nearly every vegetable tastes best roasted.

Why boil the vinegar and water mix if you're going to leave it in a crock for a few weeks? I keep seeing recipes like this and don't understand why.

I think I'm going to start a thread on fermentation experiments.

I am also going to see if that poor, lonely celeriac is still at the shop.

I don't think anybody disagrees. Of course foods change.

I cannot make my family's traditional Christmas salad here in the US because there I cannot procure pickled celery root, so I have substituted chopped up green celery stalks. It still tastes good, but has a different texture. The change itself tells a story of immigration of part of the family. nothing wrong with that. Similar with bread.

But I strongly dislike it when people label a dish by its traditional name (which means something very specific) but have prepared something different. If you want to call your dish a "Viennese schnitzel", it should actually be one, i.e. a  breaded veal cutlet. Otherwise, call it by a different name. 

A pumpernickel is a specific dark rye bread baked for a very long time which makes it acquire a dark color. Putting food coloring and molasses into a wheat bread does not make it a "pumpernickel" - but it surely does support the experience that knock-offs do not taste as good as the original, because if I expect pumpernickel, this poor substitute is awfully disappointing. If anybody likes this stuff, call it something else.

:iagree:   When you have tasted, and are expecting, a dish you know from its place of origin, and you don't get that taste, it is very disappointing. The wheat and yeast I used to make bread in Norway just isn't available here, and I don't like the Canadian version.

If you've ever tasted a "Danish pastry," actually called wienerbrod (Vienna bread) from a Danish bakery, then you will never, ever, ever eat the things they pass off in North America as Danish pastry.  Authentic ingredients are very important.

Most Americanized foods have so much added sugar and salt to them, which makes them "taste good" to many people. If you're not accustomed to the amount of sugar, you are often very disappointed by the taste. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

Most Americanized foods have so much added sugar and salt to them, which makes them "taste good" to many people. If you're not accustomed to the amount of sugar, you are often very disappointed by the taste. 

Ok, while we are on that subject, are Chinese steamed buns always made with sweet dough or do they only do that to sell them to Australians?

I like it in a clear soup with a bit of brown rice or barley. Surprisingly, it seems not to be improved by roasting. Nearly every vegetable tastes best roasted.

Why boil the vinegar and water mix if you're going to leave it in a crock for a few weeks? I keep seeing recipes like this and don't understand why.

I think because it may not soften enough if you don't boil it first? 

If i can  get some, I like to use it in soup for flavoring; I sautee a few cubes with the onion and carrots before I add everything else.

• Like 2

This, a hundred times.

I hate the cloying sweetness of store bought baked goods and have learned to adjust all American recipes by dramatically reducing the amount of sugar.

• Like 5

This, a hundred times.

I hate the cloying sweetness of store bought baked goods and have learned to adjust all American recipes by dramatically reducing the amount of sugar.

One young lady shared a story with us not too long ago.  Her sweetheart just loved his mom's spaghetti sauce, so she wanted to make it for him.  The secret recipe?  One jar of Ragu sauce and add a cup of sugar...

Others might like that, but the thought of it makes me gag.  I don't have a sweet tooth.  We're learned to stay away from "Amish" recipes like potato salad and cole slaw too as "Amish" is synonymous with "tons of added sugar."  Fortunately, they keep it out of their pork and sauerkraut and some versions of chicken noodle soup, so we've adopted those, but not the sweet stuff many Americans like.

When I make spaghetti sauce (starting with tomatoes), I only use a teaspoon of sugar (4 grams) for a large batch (used with 2lbs of pasta) and that's to cut the acid in the tomatoes a little bit.  When we buy canned I look for the varieties with very little sugar, then we add more tomatoes and other veggies (green peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc).  We were told there's a "Made in PA" brand (DelGrosso)and I like supporting local, so thought I'd get some until I looked at the sugar content (8g per half cup serving)... more than what the high sugar national brands have.  Sugar is the 4th ingredient listed.  I couldn't bring myself to buy any as I know we wouldn't like it.

• Like 5

But "taco" doesn't mean something very specific.  It can be filled with chicken or beef or shrimp or fish or beans.  There are different recipes for the taco seasoning, some like it spicy, some don't.  Some like pico or guac, some don't.  People like different cheese on it, some like no cheese.  And that's just down in Mexico even! 

I was not thinking of tacos specifically (I have no reference frame, never having lived in Mexico) but was responding to your general comment about authentic foods.

Yes, to me, authenticity does matter.

• Like 2

When I make spaghetti sauce (starting with tomatoes), I only use a teaspoon of sugar (4 grams) for a large batch (used with 2lbs of pasta) and that's to cut the acid in the tomatoes a little bit.  When we buy canned I look for the varieties with very little sugar, then we add more tomatoes and other veggies (green peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc).  We were told there's a "Made in PA" brand (DelGrosso)and I like supporting local, so thought I'd get some until I looked at the sugar content (8g per half cup serving)... more than what the high sugar national brands have.  Sugar is the 4th ingredient listed.  I couldn't bring myself to buy any as I know we wouldn't like it.

It never occurred to me to add any sugar to a tomato based spaghetti sauce at all. There is sugar in ripe tomatoes (3g per half cup for the diced tomatoes I have in my pantry, probably more for fresh ones)

• Like 4

I love tahini prepared this way, but I never thought of using an immersion blender. Thanks!

I know lots of people who don't like tahini. It really isn't for everyone, but it is for me. I'll let other people eat the olives and dates, thank you very much.

I've been cheating in the tahini department. My last few batches of hummus have been in the vitamix and I just throw in sesame seeds. It tastes really nice and I've avoided wrestling with tahini. I do like the richness of flavor sesame provides, but stirring the stuff is annoying.

• Like 3

I think because it may not soften enough if you don't boil it first? 

I don't have much experience with lacto-fermenting veggies, but I would have thought they would soften if you either chopped them up finely enough or left them to ferment longer. Or is the point of leaving them for a few weeks to infuse rather than ferment?

This, a hundred times.

Have you tried a Chinese bakery for cakes? My dd and DH like these for birthdays because they're much less sweet and they're pretty.

• Like 2

It never occurred to me to add any sugar to a tomato based spaghetti sauce at all. There is sugar in ripe tomatoes (3g per half cup for the diced tomatoes I have in my pantry, probably more for fresh ones)

Can't say I've played around with it at all.  I just use the recipe my grandmother showed me a few decades ago.  Her heritage is Prussian, but she worked in an Italian restaurant from age 9 to adulthood (no child labor laws in those days).  She had awesome memorized recipes from both heritages - always cooking from scratch.  Not being a "cooking" lover, I only held on to a few, but those few we really like.

In my older age now I wish I'd written down or memorized a few more, but she passed away in '92.  I still have one old cookbook she liked.  Any recipe in that will start with "one chicken" or "one pumpkin" and things like that.  It even has a woodchuck recipe in it - can't say we've tried it though!

• Like 1