Menu

s/o What appliance do you want to see invented?

RootAnn

I'd like an appliance where you could toss in whole, peel-on, uncooked potatoes and it would pop out mashed potatoes. (Ok, maybe I would have to add milk/butter at some point, but the mashing would be done for me.) As a bonus, it would also make the gravy (white or brown - depending on what you added as far as ingredients) in a separate compartment. Yum.

Not an appliance, but I want someone to invent a disinfectant b0mb that you can use like a bug b0mb. Your family keeps rotating through a virus over & over again, because you can't seem to get everything clean enough during the few days that you are feeling well enough to clean before someone is reinfected. You'd clear everyone out of the house, plant the disinfectant (Lysol-b0mb) canisters in all the rooms, leave for a few hours, then come back, air the place out, wipe down eating surfaces, and no more reinfection! As a bonus, all the puked on surfaces will have been semi-sanitized.

• Like 4

A vacuum that you could turn on in the middle of a room and it would suck all the dust up from everything. I used to think that is what a central vacuum did. I was really disappointed when I found out what it really was.  :001_smile:

• Like 9

The folding/sorting machine. Sits right next to the dryer and you just throw the load in and open it at the buzzer to neatly folded laundry sorted by type and size. Like sheets, towels, kids clothes, adult clothes, etc.

These actually exist in prototype at least in Japan I think. There was something on BBC about it. The main issue was they are too slow at the moment.

• Like 1

I want something that gently but completely cleans delicate salad and herb leaves.

It is so easy to grow spinach and arugula but it's so hard to get them thoroughly grit-free.  So instead of growing them, which again would be So Easy, I buy the triple washed, overpriced, bagged versions.  I guess what I want is a Home Triple Washer.  

• Like 2

Star Trek replicator

This is exactly what I was going to say!

I would also like a self-cleaning bathroom where you can just shut the door behind you and flush a handle and the whole bathroom just flushes out into a drain in the middle of the floor. How awesome would that be? <---says the mother of six boys

Edited by Kinsa

Star Trek replicator

This. I told ds he is behind. 

I would like a self-dusting room. I can stay pretty clean, but the dust and hair (dog, mine) gets crazy. I realized the other day that is what is so appealing about catalogs, no dust or clutter. Clutter I can control, dust, not so much. 

• Like 3

Star Trek replicator

I don't remember a ton about what this does, but I was reading about how they are trying to get 3D printers to print food. Isn't that part of what it does? I seem to remember it coming up with the cup & plates, too, though.

Ah, I see from a Wiki search that it went on in more modern Star Trek episodes to also make clothing & recycle dirty dishes. I see the allure.

DD reminded me that she really wants a transporter. The whole driving time is annoying.

• Like 1

Let's just quit fighting the fight and invent a dishwasher that cleans the dirty dishes scattered on top of it also.

Self-cleaning glass surfaces?

Or some kind of small squee-gee robot, able to do second story windows and the mirror my kids stand in front of to floss.