Menu

Can we have a frank conversation about bikinis??

Moxie

Europeans have a VERY different set of s*xual norms, probably because their society has been so secular for so long. They are fine with all sorts of behavior that I (and many other Christians) consider immoral.

I can assure you that they are human though. 

And are you then saying our society is not secular? 

• Like 5

Long torso, so tankinis for me for comfort and bathroom usage.

I am not ashamed of my figure. I like to look nice, and feel like I look nicer in a suit that highlights my best features (bust) rather than showing off my worst features (round and mushy middle section). I don't like the implication these days that if I don't like my tummy I'm ashamed of my body. I like other parts of my body and like my body over all.

Yes, men show their giant "pregnant" bellies all the time. That doesn't mean I like to see it.

I agree with Moxie, something being flattering or not flattering doesn't equal body shaming. I think there are ways for all sizes to look nice. That doesn't mean the same thing looks nice on all sizes. Looking nice is all about highlighting your best features. We all have different ones.

Well said! :)

I like the looks of that stuff, but wowsers, why so expensive?!

Tell me about it. I've never been able to find inexpensive suits with the coverage I like. Some of the suits I've bought were custom sewn for my measurements, so I understand paying more for those. As far as the ready-to-buy ones, maybe they are more expensive due to the smaller market and/or extra fabric?

On the other hand, nicer department stores sometimes charge just as much.

• Like 1

Europeans have a VERY different set of s*xual norms, probably because their society has been so secular for so long. They are fine with all sorts of behavior that I (and many other Christians) consider immoral.

What does swimming nude have to do with sexual behavior?

Btw, the claim that Europeans have very different sexual norms is simply ridiculous. American public culture is way more sex obsessed, and I have not encountered any "behavior" in Europe that would not be observable in the US. And by any measurable outcomes like teen pregnancies, divorces and campus sexual assaults, the US seems to top the charts.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 29

Tell me about it. I've never been able to find inexpensive suits with the coverage I like. Some of the suits I've bought were custom sewn for my measurements, so I understand paying more for those. As far as the ready-to-buy ones, maybe they are more expensive due to the smaller market and/or extra fabric?

I was looking at HydroChic, I think two summers ago. I am definitely in the "the sun needs to stay off my skin" camp and our summer vacation includes a big water park in a hot sunny place. Plus the outdoor swimming pools and the occasional visit to a local water park with my brother and our kids. I was tempted to pay those prices but found something else totally full coverage at Lands End. They have frequently sale codes and I got it all for 50% off the sale prices. The bottoms reach below my knees and have a little skirt too. I bought a regular bikini top and bottoms as well for inside pools, Als because I'd rather wear a bikini top under a rash guard when outside than a tank under the rashguard (hot and two layers of wet swim fabric...bleck). The rash guard is too big this summer, so I was able to order a smaller size, also for 1/2 off.

Here are the capris:

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-swim-crop-leggings/id_269396_59?cm_mmc=139971612&source=GS&003=56492216&010=4106562&gclid=Cj0KEQjwwry8BRDjsbjMpPSDvagBEiQA5oW0nDMeqmYNzjfvDvQVmn9jJlnXAKGpOt8wxC2NkSGUKIUaAsI78P8HAQ

If you watch for sale codes, they can be fairly inexpensive.

• Like 2

I think it's kind of a "wear it proud" thing.

But as far as simply preferring two pieces to one, this probably has something to do with ease of bathroom use. I'd rather have two pieces than one for this readon, even if the coverage is equivalent.

Yup. This is why the overlapping tankini is a nice option. Land's End also sells some that come down your thighs as in mini-skirt style.

Top doesn't always = the bottom size, so they are easier to shop for and wear for many women.  I agree they function better in the restroom.  

They have so many more options than the teeny-tiny bikini.  I had to buy new swim stuff this year :confused1: .  Call me thrilled, but I found a cute pair of  swim shorts w/pockets and a top like fancy tank with a built in bra. :hurray:

• Like 2

Btw, the claim that Europeans have very different sexual norms is simply ridiculous. American public culture is way more sex obsessed, and I have not encountered any "behavior" in Europe that would not be observable in the US. And by any measurable outcomes like teen pregnancies, divorces and campus sexual assaults, the US seems to top the charts.

Thank you for saying this regentrude. I think American "Christian" prudishness is so much more damaging than heathen European acceptance of the naked body (and healthy human sexuality).

• Like 12

Thank you for saying this regentrude. I think American "Christian" prudishness is so much more damaging than heathen European acceptance of the naked body (and healthy human sexuality).

Yes. I don't think acceptance of nudity (and the ability not to associate nudity with sex) is immoral. I actually think the fact that nudity does not equal sexual suggestion suggests that the culture is further along in development of its moral compass than American "Christian" ideals. I use quotes because while I am Christian the thought process of associating nudity and immoral behavior does not represent Christianity to me. It does represent a brand of judgemental behavior that I think is immoral.

• Like 12

This conversation has reminded me of public swimming pools in France when I was a kid. Women middle aged and up were frequently topless, young women almost never were.

I used to speculate that the younger women felt more attractive in a top and the older women didn't care.

I don't know if it is at all true in modern times but I think traditionally French girls have been expected to be much more modest or discreet than married women? Maybe there's some kind of cultural hangover from that going on.

I don't really care but I've noticed the shift here. Anyone at all wears a bikini. I'm a pale reddish haired woman. I'm in a rash guard under a tree with a hat unless it's one of the ten minute intervals of actual fun I allow myself.😒 People can wear what they want. I ( and I know this is petty, you don't have to point it out) find the beach makes me feel better about myself. At least among the fifties woman set.

Yes. I don't think acceptance of nudity (and the ability not to associate nudity with sex) is immoral. I actually think the fact that nudity does not equal sexual suggestion suggests that the culture is further along in development of its moral compass than American "Christian" ideals. I use quotes because while I am Christian the thought process of associating nudity and immoral behavior does not represent Christianity to me. It does represent a brand of judgemental behavior that I think is immoral.

Can't like this enough.
  • Like 1

I owned one bikini around age 24.  I rocked it, but I always felt like I was in underwear.

Back to one-pieces and might as well be one-piece tankinis for me.  Much more comfortable.  My daughter wears the same, but I assume that around 24, she'll also get a bikini and experiment.  :)

I was looking at HydroChic, I think two summers ago. I am definitely in the "the sun needs to stay off my skin" camp and our summer vacation includes a big water park in a hot sunny place. Plus the outdoor swimming pools and the occasional visit to a local water park with my brother and our kids. I was tempted to pay those prices but found something else totally full coverage at Lands End. They have frequently sale codes and I got it all for 50% off the sale prices. The bottoms reach below my knees and have a little skirt too. I bought a regular bikini top and bottoms as well for inside pools, Als because I'd rather wear a bikini top under a rash guard when outside than a tank under the rashguard (hot and two layers of wet swim fabric...bleck). The rash guard is too big this summer, so I was able to order a smaller size, also for 1/2 off.

Here are the capris:

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-swim-crop-leggings/id_269396_59?cm_mmc=139971612&source=GS&003=56492216&010=4106562&gclid=Cj0KEQjwwry8BRDjsbjMpPSDvagBEiQA5oW0nDMeqmYNzjfvDvQVmn9jJlnXAKGpOt8wxC2NkSGUKIUaAsI78P8HAQ

This just made my day! Swim capris!! Lands End had 30% off swim today, so I ordered them with a tankini top. I'll actually go swim with my family now. I'm overweight but mostly self-conscious about my bad veins in my legs. I didn't know such a thing as swim capris existed!

• Like 3

I wear them because I find them more comfortable than a one piece or tankini. What others think of my body is their business. Also, I've never understood why men can go around shirtless and that's ok but it's immodest for a woman to show her midriff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I find 2 pieces to be much more comfortable for fit and going to the bathroom. However, I am not comfortable wearing the equivalent of a bra and underwear, so I wear a tankini top and swim shorts. I also like that they cover more skin because I try to be smart about sun protection. I know it would be smarter to wear sleeves too, but they feel too constricting to me.

Custom sounds appealing to me because nothing off the rack fits right. 

• Like 1

Here are the capris:

I'd probably be tripping over the bottoms.  LOL

I recall...you are tall right?

Agreed. Unfortunately, when it comes to negative lists, the US seems to be in the top five all.the.time.

• Like 2

So, back in my 20s, fat-positive (Fat?So!) days, I bought my first and only bikini.  Back then, they were custom made.  Mine was red and black, and the bottom had a little skirt. It was empowering, in a way, because I never ever would have considered a bikini when I was younger, even though I was far thinner then (but thought myself fat, even though I weighed 10 pounds more than my friends).  I was truly plus-sized (about a size 20), but for whatever reason I looked fine.  

Today, after numerous dysplastic nevi removals, I tend to wear a long sleeve rash guard and even rash guard pants made by Splash Gear. 

When I see women of all sizes rocking bikinis today, I think "Oh how wonderful that she's not as horribly self conscious as I once was."  I will say, though, I'm not a fan of thong bikinis on people of any size. 

ETA: I will say it's strange how Lane Bryant's lingerie ad was banned by numerous networks, yet they'll show Victoria's Secret ads all day long.  What is threatening about a sexy, confident plus sized woman? What is obscene?  Probably part is the person breastfeeding.  Personally, I think it is male network executives trying to fat shame.  A woman (any woman) who is confident in herself and her body is a threat

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/lane-bryant-ad-ashley-graham-and-other-curvy-models-too-much-tv-170189

Another ad of theirs that faced controversy in 2010.

Edited by umsami

Nice! I bought two bikinis this year. I couldn't find any in stores that would fit my ample booKs , so I had to order online. This is one the ones I got. The other is a plain black one in a similar style.

http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/Swim-Sexy-The-Muse-Medallion-Bikini

• Like 1

So many posters mentioned different sizing on top and bottom. I had never thought of that. I bought a 12/ 13 top (largest they had) and a 16 bottom. I had been rethinking I might like a more ample bottom. Much better fit! I think I might have even gone smaller on the top. The one I linked isn't exactly right. Mine ties in the back. I really have to cinch it down to fit my ribs. Plenty of room on top. 

I am now officially a mix and match girl.

I will admit to wearing a bikini once when in my 30's. I wanted to give it a go. So what I did was wear a sarong over the top. I then discarded my glasses and took off the sarong and went into the ocean. I figured that as I could no longer see/ recognise anyone on the beach they wouldn't recognise me 😊

• Like 3

I purchased a bikini for my honeymoon.  I never really liked wearing it.  My oldest daughter, who is very high waisted AND has a long torso hates tankinis.  They do not flatter her at all.  I have found a couple of 2-piece suits for high-waisted women, but she doesn't like the tops (they tend to accentuate a bust line she doesn't have).  My blondie looks awesome in tankinis, boy shorts, whatever she wears.  We look for what flatters our body shapes and is comfortable/appropriate for whatever activities we're participating.  Holding up tops/bottoms for fun in the sun activities at the pool or beach will do more to determine 1 piece or 2 piece than anything else.

We look for what flatters our body shapes and is comfortable/appropriate for whatever activities we're participating.  Holding up tops/bottoms for fun in the sun activities at the pool or beach will do more to determine 1 piece or 2 piece than anything else.

This has been the focus of female swim wear in our house. I do remember my dd first wanting a two piece when she was 11 or 12 partly because she'd only ever had swim team suits. One thing I said is "what are you doing at the pool". She knew girls who just laid in lounge chairs and watched. dd was always part of the activity (diving board, pool basketball, other stuff). Some bikinis work for those activities and some do not. 

We used to have a gal in our neighborhood who liked to sun in bikinis that weren't sturdy for any activity. She also liked to play a lot of pool games. She would bring a one piece to the pool with her. When she decided to do flips off the diving board, she would pull the one piece over top of her bikini right on deck. When she was done she'd peel the one piece off and go back to sunning herself. I think she moved away a couple of years ago, but she was still doing this when she first got out of college. I thought the approach was very practical. 

• Like 3

I prefer a one piece for actual swimming.  I find two piece suits way too troublesome if I'm getting any actual exercise.

I've been buying my one pieces at Swim Outlet.  I cannot find anything in a nearby store that works for swimming.

https://www.swimoutlet.com/womens-competition-swimwear-c9327/

(It looks like they have decent 2 pieces as well)

But if I want more coverage, I'll go with a tankini.  I do not want to use up an entire bottle of sunscreen every time I go to the beach.  Also, either the top or bottom with "normal" clothes of a tankini is nice for "almost beach" wear.  If you get wet, you dry off easier.

To be honest, I've never understood bikinis unless one is tanning.  Or maybe for fashion.  But I don't do fashion so that's a moot point.

Edited by flyingiguana