Menu

Is Biology Strictly Necessary?

My son will be in 8th grade this year. For science this year he will be doing Conceptual Physical Science Explorations with Conceptual Academy. In 9th grade he wants to do earth science, so I plan on using the Holt homeschool package. In 10th we'll go back to Conceptual Academy for chemistry, and in 11th he'll do CA physics. He really does not want to do biology, but I got him to agree to either Botany, Ecology, or Zoology for 12th.

Is a general biology course really necessary for college admissions, or would botany or zoology work for the life science aspect? My son has dyslexia and some other learning issues, and we have struggled to find schoolwork he enjoys and feels successful with, so I don't want to force him to take something he's not interested in.

He does want to go to college, or at least keep the possibility open, but he is not looking to be a science major or go anywhere elite. He hopes to work in hockey as in adult.

Edited by Haiku
  • Like 1

If he's not looking at selective universities, I would consider something such as environmental science as the fourth science course.  He might enjoy it more than straight biology, botany or zoology or even ecology.

• Like 1

Some colleges/majors do require biology or a biological science.

My eldest probably won't have a biology credit. She is finishing up physics and will take chemistry next year. I told her that she can pick a one semester college science class (counting as one year of high school science) to finish up her homeschool high school science credits. No idea what it will be, but it might end up astronomy.

My flexibility on this might be related to my experience of my college/major requiring physics and chem, but not bio. But many colleges do require some sort of bio class.

• Like 2

Can you check with any colleges/unis that might be on his or your radar for the future?  Requirements may change but it could give you a ballpark idea of what might be required...

Perhaps a local CC for the first two years would be an option.  Many do not have the same requirements as a 4 year college or uni.  Are there any in your area?  Could you look at their requirements?  

And  I would also look at any accommodations they might offer a student with dyslexia.

If he really does not want to do biology, you could do something easy, like Power Basics, and do it quickly, like over a month during the summer, and be done. I know where I live, kids might take a summer class that lasts a month and get a credit out of the way. I have known people to do anything from biology to health to whatever is offered that they want done.

• Like 1

I believe it depends upon which university your DS might be interested in, when the time comes to apply for admission. And, I believe it depends upon which state you are in.  In Texas, Biology is one of the five (5) High School courses that require an EOC (End of Course) examination. Biology was the first 9th grade course my DD completed and she will take the EOC for that, probably on July 11th.  If the interests of your DS should change, and Biology was not completed., IMO that might cause  big problems down the road. IMO, it is better to be well prepared and better to have options open.    GL

• Like 1

I believe it depends upon which university your DS might be interested in, when the time comes to apply for admission. And, I believe it depends upon which state you are in.  In Texas, Biology is one of the five (5) High School courses that require an EOC (End of Course) examination. Biology was the first 9th grade course my DD completed and she will take the EOC for that, probably on July 11th.  If the interests of your DS should change, and Biology was not completed., IMO that might cause  big problems down the road. IMO, it is better to be well prepared and better to have options open.    GL

The bolded only applies to students in public schools, not home schooled students. Home schooled students do not need to take any EOC's or any STAAR tests in order to graduate or to go to any college or university here in Texas.

• Like 3

The bolded only applies to students in public schools, not home schooled students. Home schooled students do not need to take any EOC's or any STAAR tests in order to graduate or to go to any college or university here in Texas.

Yes. I understand that. My DD is Enrolled in Texas Tech University High School, so she must take and pass the 5 EOC exams, to get a Texas High School Diploma. 

ETA: I suspect that many universities consider Biology to be a course that is required for admission, but I am not positive about that.

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

I have seen a few colleges specify that they want to see one life science and one physical science, so you'll want to check that.

But my opinion (and keep in mind that this is coming from a biochemist :001_smile: ) is that molecular, cell, and inheritance parts of biology (at a minimum) are essential for an educated person to know.  I would not allow a student to graduate from my homeschool without it.

• Like 7

I went through the acceptance list & grabbed a handful of colleges to look into, just for variety. Note, these are just the normal minimum requirements for high school graduates. I didn't look up any specific homeschooling requirements.

The University of Iowa - three years of Natural Sciences. Engineering applicants must have one year each of physics & chemistry. Nursing applicants must have physics, chemistry, and biology. 

Case Western Reserve U - 3 years science (2 must be laboratory science)

Florida State U - 3 units of natural science, at least two with laboratory experience.

Georgia Tech - 4 units of science. (Couldn't find anything more specific as there was a link broken to another document.)

Northern Michigan University - 4 years of science

Purdue University - 6 semesters of Lab Science including any of the following: biology, chemistry, physics, anatomy, physiology, earth/space science, etc. (For engineering, 2 science semesters must be chemistry. For nursing, pharmaceutical sciences, prepharmacy, and veterinary technology, 2 science semesters must be biology and 2 must be chemistry)

Worcester Polytechnic Institute - two years of lab science

Virginia Tech - 2 units of laboratory science (chosen from biology, chemistry or physics)

Macalester - three years of laboratory science

BYU - Two to three years of laboratory science

The DS of the OP has recently completed 7th grade.  His interests may change, dramatically, between now and when he graduates from High School. IMO, not taking Biology is something that could come back to haunt him.   I suspect many College Admissions people would consider the lack of Biology on a High School transcript to be a sign that they should look very closely at the transcript and the other application papers.

Below is from a Texas Tech Admission page for Home Schooled applicants..  I suspect that many universities follow similar procedures. 

Note:
Current Texas State law requires successful applicants to a post-secondary institution of higher education to successfully complete the curriculum requirements for the recommended or advanced high school program or its equivalent. Unless the student meets the ACT College Readiness Benchmarks, the home school officials will be required to complete the Texas Private High School Certification (Diploma Verification Form) to complete this process.

Below is from a Texas Tech Admission page for Home Schooled applicants..  I suspect that many universities follow similar procedures. 

Note:

Current Texas State law requires successful applicants to a post-secondary institution of higher education to successfully complete the curriculum requirements for the recommended or advanced high school program or its equivalent. Unless the student meets the ACT College Readiness Benchmarks, the home school officials will be required to complete the Texas Private High School Certification (Diploma Verification Form) to complete this process.

Texas Tech requires 4 units of science and a PDF seems to indicate that Biology is required to be one of them (although it isn't stated on this page). 

FWIW, the ACT College Readiness Benchmark for Science is only a 23.

He really does not want to do biology, ...

He does want to go to college, or at least keep the possibility open, but he is not looking to be a science major or go anywhere elite. He hopes to work in hockey as in adult.

I'd be curious as to why a student who has apparently had little to no exposure to biology has such a distaste for it.  Seems like if the bio course was tuned just right, it would align with his hockey interest, including subjects like the human skeleton system, musculature, and what, exactly, causes used hockey gear to stink so much.

• Like 3

The DS of the OP has recently completed 7th grade.  His interests may change, dramatically, between now and when he graduates from High School. IMO, not taking Biology is something that could come back to haunt him.  

I agree with this. I have always had the idea that I would homeschool the kids in such a manner that going to college is open to them (and by that I mean prepared for four-year university, even if they choose to start at a community college, as I did). I don't want to hold my son back by not preparing him. But I also want to give him some freedom to tailor his own high school experience. My dd and my ds are very, very different in terms of academics and interests, and we have reached the point that what I do with my dd is not a reliable indicator of what I can and will do with my son. I do intend to put off biology (with him) at least until junior year, so he still has several years to grow and mature and see what his interests are then.

I think that, like my dd, my ds is not interested in anatomy and physiology yet would be more interested in evolution and genetics. I don't doubt that he will get some sort of biology; in fact, my dd has specifically requested not to study anatomy (human, at least), so her biology course next year will focus on biochem, evolution, ecology, and genetics.

I'd be curious as to why a student who has apparently had little to no exposure to biology has such a distaste for it. 

He's actually had quite a bit of exposure to it. We have done a lot of biology in his grade school and middle school years. He simply finds other facets of science far more interesting and isn't super into the amount of memorizing that a rigorous bio course would require. Neither of my kids find human anatomy interesting, and they aren't really very interested in organismal biology.

He loves chemistry, physics, and earth sciences.

• Like 1

He's actually had quite a bit of exposure to it. We have done a lot of biology in his grade school and middle school years. He simply finds other facets of science far more interesting and isn't super into the amount of memorizing that a rigorous bio course would require. Neither of my kids find human anatomy interesting, and they aren't really very interested in organismal biology.

He loves chemistry, physics, and earth sciences.

Both of my kids had no interest in biology either.

DD did a traditional biology course anyway, even though she did not like it. I did not focus on memorization but rather understanding; for example, rather than making her memorize all steps, I'd have her explain orally how the Krebs cycle works with the diagram as a visual. I find it much more important that my kids understand the basic mechanisms that act in cells than that they can cram for the short term how many moles of ATP are produced when, something they will forget after the test. I'm a heretic like that.

With DS, I modified the biology course. We covered cell biology, genetics, evolution and human anatomy/physiology (the latter was interesting to him as an athlete). We then added a component of "biology in society" and explored current topics like GMOs and stem cell research.

I find that a standard biology text covers so many sub topics that it is barely possible to do everything justice in one school year. My approach is to select focus areas. If your student is interested in botany, zoology and ecology, I would add very basic cell biology, genetics, and evolution units (so you can truthfully say it was covered) and beyond that focus on  his chosen areas. In my opinion, that makes a perfectly fine "Biology" course and allows you to check the box for "just in case".

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

A lot can change between now and 12th grade. I don't think this decision needs to be finalized now -- it would seem perfectly reasonable to have 12th grade as 'biology?' in your future plans, and see what he thinks about it during 11th grade. 

• Like 2

Yes. I understand that. My DD is Enrolled in Texas Tech University High School, so she must take and pass the 5 EOC exams, to get a Texas High School Diploma. 

ETA: I suspect that many universities consider Biology to be a course that is required for admission, but I am not positive about that.

Yes.

What they list as the "minimum for admission" or recommendation is literally the rock bottom in order to be considered for admission. Reality? Not having biology could be a serious ding on the transcript.

I look at it more though from the standpoint of life itself. Biology is absolutely the basis for medical science, nutrition, understanding our environment, understanding controversies like GMO/Monsanto, fertilizer run off, climate change, and a whole host of other topics that as an adult it is good to have a basis for scientific literacy. Physics comes next. If there is a high school science that is "expendable" it would be chemistry. But, our philosophy is to not send our kids into adult life without high school biology, chemistry, and physics.

The course would not have to be rigorous. AP and DE biology or advanced biology (often anatomy and physioloty) are the memory intensive courses. A super standard, basic biology course shouldn't be that bad, and as a homeschooling teacher, you can tailor it to your needs. To make it more interesting and fun, you could do less with chapter tests, mid-terms, and finals, and more with notetaking on the text followed by labs. With labs, other sciences like chemistry and physics come into play. So it could be a lot of fun if your student likes labs, and you make it lab intensive. 

I just don't recommend skipping it. You don't know where he will apply to school or what major he will ultimately land in, and it could hurt him to not have it.

• Like 3

FWIW, here are my thoughts as the parent of a severely dyslexic student who really didn't want to study biology in high school.  

At the beginning of 8th grade, I would never have been able to predict his level of accomplishment by 12th grade.  He didn't read on grade level until the end of 4th/beginning of 5th grade.  6th grade was the first time he read independently across subjects.

In 8th grade, he took his first physics course and fell in love.  By the end of high school, he had 11 science credits (including biology which he put off taking until 12th grade.)  (My rising 12th grader also put off taking biology and will be taking it this yr, too.  And she is an incredibly gifted student in all directions.  There is nothing at all "incorrect" about taking biology in 12th.  Thinkwell bio was the choice for both.)

Another FWIW, I would absolutely NOT use Power Basics for any student who plans on applying to a school where they want to see course descriptions for homeschoolers.   I think they would be a huge red flag about the ability of the student to function on the college level when coming from a homeschool environment.  If a child is capable of more, I would expect more.  Just my opinion. 

ETA: I also would not let any child graduate from our homeschool without a bio credit.  (Even ones with way more credits than they need.)  I require my kids to have a "minimum" number of credits across subjects.  Bio is one of them.)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 2

And let me say this, many colleges require none majors to take a biology course to satisfy gen ed requirements. But, if the student does not have biology in high school, may be required to take a 90 level life science course - which won't count for graduation - as a prerequisite to the required biology course. Eldest ds's college requires this.

So I would also not want to risk being considered "unprepared" and being tossed into a course at high tuition that will not satisfy any graduation requirement.

I also consider high school to be a time to learn the coping skills of dealing with subject matter material that one has no interest in. It is a drudgery sometimes, but the reality is if the student is college bound, it is going to happen - those check the box classes that one really does not like - and employers often require employees to do task he or she do not like, sometimes for years while waiting for a promotion or whatever. So it is a kind of growing up, maturing thing that we can help our kids with by not letting them out of coursework that is difficult, boring, or unappreciated.

• Like 3

He didn't read on grade level until the end of 4th/beginning of 5th grade. 

My ds still doesn't read on grade level even after intensive OG tutoring. We just had another eval done, and I'll get the results in a few weeks. I'm hoping to join Learning Ally so that we can utilize audio textbooks. In addition to dyslexia, my son also has some processing and processing speed issues.

I also consider high school to be a time to learn the coping skills of dealing with subject matter material that one has no interest in. 

Sadly, for my son, he has had lots of experience with this. Due to his learning issues, school is just really hard for him. I have made a lot of progress in tailoring his schoolwork to meet his strengths while still addressing his weaknesses, and as he gets older he is finding things somewhat of an easier go, but it's still just hard for him, and because it is so hard a lot of it is just uninteresting to him. But that's part of why I want him to be able to mold his high school experience more to his liking; he has spent so many years trudging along the "learning how to learn" and "building skills" road that I want the payoff to be him enjoying what he studies in high school.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure that I will be able to create a biology course that he will find at least somewhat interesting ... at least I hope so!

• Like 5

My middle ds, the one headed to WMU and lover of all things biology, just came up with a crazy idea. I don't know if you can make it work or not, but I'll throw it out there. (I am very sorry things have been so tough for your ds!)

If he likes astronomy/space travel, one idea would be to let him do a lot of independent research on the manned mission to mars. What is it going to take to keep a crew alive? What must be done on Mars to make a habitable area? How do water reclaimers, oxygenators, etc. work? (This would cross over into a lot of biochemistry, health and medicine, and ecology which if your son loved it and ran with it, could become a credit of "biology".)

What would it take to grow a vegetable garden in a hab? How could that become sustainable? What happens to the human body outside of significant gravitational pull for an extended trip? What will be done to mitigate that? (This would then count for some basic anatomy and physiology as well as health.) What, if anything could be done to terra form Mars? How is the crew chosen and trained? (Psychology, health, physical conditioning, social considerations?)

If he loved it, ran with it, gained depth of knowledge, maybe produced some sort of end of year project, I think you could easily morph that into a biology credit, and potentially, if enough knowledge was acquired, a half credit of space science or aerospace technology.

Just a wild thought.

• Like 2

My son will be in 8th grade this year. For science this year he will be doing Conceptual Physical Science Explorations with Conceptual Academy. In 9th grade he wants to do earth science, so I plan on using the Holt homeschool package. In 10th we'll go back to Conceptual Academy for chemistry, and in 11th he'll do CA physics. He really does not want to do biology, but I got him to agree to either Botany, Ecology, or Zoology for 12th.

Is a general biology course really necessary for college admissions, or would botany or zoology work for the life science aspect? My son has dyslexia and some other learning issues, and we have struggled to find schoolwork he enjoys and feels successful with, so I don't want to force him to take something he's not interested in.

Our state regulations require biology in order to earn a diploma. 

I would be more concerned with the lab component. Many of the "conceptual" classes do not do labs which qualify. That is going to be a much larger disqualifier than biology.

I have not come accross any college that required four years of lab science. Most wanted one or two years; this can easily be achieved without a biology lab.

I have not come accross any college that required four years of lab science. Most wanted one or two years; this can easily be achieved without a biology lab.

Actually, this has become an issue for dd.  We had not planned on doing bio as a lab science, but we have had to change plans for the fall.  She is now doing it as a lab because the vast majority of the schools she is applying to want 3 lab sciences.  That was a surprise, b/c in the past I remember 3 sciences with at least 1-2 labs.

• Like 1

But my opinion (and keep in mind that this is coming from a biochemist :001_smile: ) is that molecular, cell, and inheritance parts of biology (at a minimum) are essential for an educated person to know. I would not allow a student to graduate from my homeschool without it.

This. From another biochemist. And I would add knowledge of evolution and ecology because the world needs people who can see bigger pictures, especially now.

• Like 5

Actually, this has become an issue for dd.  We had not planned on doing bio as a lab science, but we have had to change plans for the fall.  She is now doing it as a lab because the vast majority of the schools she is applying to want 3 lab sciences.  That was a surprise, b/c in the past I remember 3 sciences with at least 1-2 labs.

And they specifically require one of the three labs to be biology?

Guess we were lucky. DD applied to some mighty picky schools, but they all were content with her (four) lab science credits which did not include a biology lab.

And they specifically require one of the three labs to be biology?

Guess we were lucky. DD applied to some mighty picky schools, but they all were content with her (four) lab science credits which did not include a biology lab.

Oh, no, the requirements were not specific to a bio lab. This is the typical wording:

Laboratory science - 3 units

Two units must be taken in two different fields and selected from among biology, chemistry or physics. The third unit may be from the same field as one of the first two units (biology, chemistry, or physics) or from any laboratory science for which biology and/or chemistry is a prerequisite.

Yes, ds did not take a bio lab.  It was not an issue b/c he had so many labs.  This dd will only have 3 labs (1 from each.)  

ETA; Though, on second thought, I haven't paid close attention to whether or not a bio lab is required b/c bio is what she is taking this yr, so we just added in the lab.  I'll pay attention from now on, though.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Bio is essential, period.  Its fundamental to understanding our world and I would laugh at my delightful little student and ignore him if he suggested he should skip it bc he did not want to take it.

Much like if my small child suggested he did not want to sleep. 

And I am an english major.

Edited by abcmommy
  • Like 1

My ds still doesn't read on grade level even after intensive OG tutoring. We just had another eval done, and I'll get the results in a few weeks. I'm hoping to join Learning Ally so that we can utilize audio textbooks. In addition to dyslexia, my son also has some processing and processing speed issues.

Sadly, for my son, he has had lots of experience with this. Due to his learning issues, school is just really hard for him. I have made a lot of progress in tailoring his schoolwork to meet his strengths while still addressing his weaknesses, and as he gets older he is finding things somewhat of an easier go, but it's still just hard for him, and because it is so hard a lot of it is just uninteresting to him. But that's part of why I want him to be able to mold his high school experience more to his liking; he has spent so many years trudging along the "learning how to learn" and "building skills" road that I want the payoff to be him enjoying what he studies in high school.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure that I will be able to create a biology course that he will find at least somewhat interesting ... at least I hope so!

Given that, take a look at the Walch Power Biology.  It covers the needed basics, it's not flashy, and it's not ridiculously difficult or ridiculously long. 

Bio is essential, period.  Its fundamental to understanding our world and I would laugh at my delightful little student and ignore him if he suggested he should skip it bc he did not want to take it.

Much like if my small child suggested he did not want to sleep. 

And I am an english major.

I assume you are sort of kidding, but my kid would shut down if I laughed at him for this reason and treated him like he was being an idiot.

• Like 1

I'm love my charming kids as much as the next girl but they do frequently make me laugh.

My tween once cut her own hair and told me she rolled onto scissors in her bed.

I would give this request to skip bio about the same degree of serious thought.

• Like 1

I will say that the most completely non-selective college on dd's list (well, I put it on the list, lol) was also the pickiest about checking off boxes. 

dd had four years of world history on her transcript, along with civics/free enterprise. This school was the only one that questioned it, and did not at all like that American history was not listed as a separate credit. It's a fairly common "requirement" but every other school managed to figure out without asking that a student who took four years of world history was not trying to skive off. 

In your son's case, I'd take a bit of a wait-and-see attitude, because a couple of years can make a world of difference in both ability and interests. If his mind doesn't change, I'd probably still insist on a general bio course, but I'd have no problem making it heavy on botany or zoology. Lots of teachers gear their course toward their own special interest or expertise, no matter what book they use. 

I do think some of the topics covered are very important, but you might be able to get creative in how they are covered, maybe making heavy use of documentaries and TED talks for those chapters, and covering the favored topics in a more traditional way. 

One other thing I would consider would be switching classes around a bit, so that his senior year science winds up being the one he is MOST likely to take in college, and he has a recent base for it. 

• Like 1

I would give this request to skip bio about the same degree of serious thought.

It was not a request. It was a thoughtful discussion about my son's interests and goals, and I am not going to literally or figuratively pat my son on the head and dismiss his thoughts. I don't find it amusing that my son struggles academically, nor do I find it cute that he can articulate his concerns to me.

• Like 7

My slower speed reader don't mind the Miller Levine Biology textbook on iBook for $15 or a used hardcopy for $10~20. That book is a common high school bio/honors bio textbook.

There is also a free bio textbook by Wilson on iBook but we didn't try that.

I intend to get the high school bio lab kit from QSL because my kids love labs.

Oddly my son says he doesn't want to do Bio either.

My older just want to take the SAT bio test and consider it done. He likes genetics but not anatomy.

• Like 1

My slower speed reader don't mind the Miller Levine Biology textbook on iBook for $15 or a used hardcopy for $10~20. That book is a common high school bio/honors bio textbook.

This is the text my dd will be using this year. There is so much info in it that I am sure I could cull out the things my ds is not interested in and still have a decent scope for a course. I'll also buy him a lab kit, as he does enjoy doing hands-on stuff.

I've also looked at other texts and programs that are geared more toward kids with learning issues or are more multi-media based. We'll have to see when it gets closer to the time for him to take it. 

I know someone mentioned problems with the conceptual texts and labs; I plan to fix that by just buying lab kits and working on them. QSL, Home Scientist, and eScience have some interesting kits. I actually took a semester of geology in high school that counted as a lab science!

I wonder if some citizen science projects might interest him? There's a list here (but there are undoubtedly other things happening out there, too):  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_citizen_science_projects

I also wonder if, in lieu of a text, one of the Great Courses series would work for him? Like this, perhaps: http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/biology-the-science-of-life.html

And/or some audio books of interesting trade books on biological topics? I often look for science trade books by googling "best science books of" 2014 or 2015, etc.,  to come up with lists of things we might enjoy here (the Guardian has especially good annual lists). I'm sure there would be audio versions of some of those things. And of course there would be documentaries to watch, lectures in the community to attend...if you decide to go ahead and do biology. (I have no idea how US high school/university requirements really work, so I can't help you there.)

I'm sure you will figure out the scenario that would work best for you and your family! Good luck.

Re: learning issues

My DS has learning differences related to cerebral palsy.

I totally understand. My DS struggles so much with things many people wouldn't even give a passing thought to. In the younger grades, I tried to remove as many hurdles as I could so he wouldn't have additional challenges. Now in high school, I am trying to find a middle ground and push him more because college and adulthood are just around the corner. I find DS more often rises to the challenge when pushed, whereas just a year ago he would have melted. Children mature so much in that span between middle school and high school. I know DS will mature even more between now and college. I remind myself daily not to have high school plans set in stone because he continues to amaze me.

With that said, two additional thoughts:

First, my DS's biggest physical limitations are his hands. Science labs and written lab reports have been a huge struggle for him. With that in mind (and wanting him to be engaged and more willing to attempt lab), I pulled up a list of all fields that fall under the biology umbrella and asked him to pick a few areas he is interested in studying deeper. I will buy science kits in those areas for the lab portion. It likely won't end up being a traditional biology course or lab, but I am fine with that.

Second, our family loves nature and attend a number of programs a year, including a few programs that are intended for advanced training hours for Master Gardeners or Master Naturalists. (ex: on wildlife monitoring, prairie conservation, etc) DS is going to spend a year on one of the wildlife monitoring projects. He will likely take photos with his phone to submit to iNaturalist. My plan is to wrap all four years of outside workshops and programs into an Environomental Systems credit with field study. The idea could also be used for biology, I think.

Also:

I recently found a book at Half Price on photographing biology - biology through a camera lens. I could see using a visual book like that as a base for a non-traditional biology study.

• Like 1

Thinkwell bio is multimedia. Geology is a lab science in my engineering class :)

If he can get a good score on the test, he knows enough bio. But my experience with the SAT2 subject tests in science is that that is no easy feat.

He has read through The Official Study Guide for all SAT Subject Tests at the library to plan which SAT2 he wants to aim for. This kid can understand the Campbell AP text but currently has no passion for bio.

It was not a request. It was a thoughtful discussion about my son's interests and goals, and I am not going to literally or figuratively pat my son on the head and dismiss his thoughts. I don't find it amusing that my son struggles academically, nor do I find it cute that he can articulate his concerns to me.

You can dignify it however you want, but a working knowledge of bio is a worthy goal and blowing it off is a serious misstep.  An SAT subject study guide is one measurement but hardly the be all end all.

You can dignify it however you want, but a working knowledge of bio is a worthy goal and blowing it off is a serious misstep.

I'm not "dignifying" anything. I asked whether biology is strictly necessary. Most people said yes, it is. I then posted that I would find a way to construct a biology course for my son. What I won't do is treat him like a foolish child for expressing his thoughts to me. It doesn't really help people to respond to them as though they are idiots.

• Like 2

You can dignify it however you want, but a working knowledge of bio is a worthy goal and blowing it off is a serious misstep.

Maybe. But how much "working knowledge of bio" would a kid get who doesn't want to study the material? 

I'm sure we could all cite a class in our past that we didn't want to take where we learned the material enough to pass the test (or even ace the class), but retained nothing.

One of the many reasons I homeschool is to allow my kids to study what they find interesting and will thus retain -- and I can help them figure out how to check the box after that, if necessary. 

(Many people who homeschool believe their high schoolers should be choosing their own classes by at least sophomore or junior year.)

• Like 2

Maybe. But how much "working knowledge of bio" would a kid get who doesn't want to study the material? 

I'm sure we could all cite a class in our past that we didn't want to take where we learned the material enough to pass the test (or even ace the class), but retained nothing.

One of the many reasons I homeschool is to allow my kids to study what they find interesting and will thus retain -- and I can help them figure out how to check the box after that, if necessary. 

(Many people who homeschool believe their high schoolers should be choosing their own classes by at least sophomore or junior year.)

I hate to throw this argument out there (I often try to come up with some lame answer when my kid asks me what something is good for), but let's get real.  How many people actually remember most of what they did in their 9th grade bio class?  I sure the heck don't.  This is not to say I don't think there are lots of good things to know within the field of biology, but gee there are lots of good things to know in general....lot's and lot's.....  I think someone could get the bare bone basics without a full blown study if they have no plans to go that route in the future.  Colleges usually require some sort of science even for non science majors, but they usually have lots of choices.

I try to give my kid as much choice as possible.  Some stuff we have to cover because that's the regulation requirement (like US History even though he'd rather study just about any other history).  Sounds to me like the OPs kid is going to get plenty of science. 

• Like 2

Sounds to me like the OPs kid is going to get plenty of science. 

I think so. We all really like science and do a lot of it. My dd actually loves biology and is looking forward to it this year. My ds just happens to prefer chemistry. I'm not at all worried about my kids learning "enough" science. I just want to make sure I have college admissions bases covered.

I did look into several colleges/universities around here, and about half require biology, half don't. It's impossible to predict where he may go to school because to some degree it will depend on what he's offered for hockey. I've talked to my son, and he is amenable to an evolution/genetics/ecology/biochem biology course. He said, "I just don't want to have to learn about the circulatory system and stuff ... again. Or how the parts of the cell are like a city."  :lol:  I guess that cell-model activity from 4th grade really stuck with him!  :laugh:

• Like 5